Awoo.

*Rumor* Nintendo Switch Pro announcement “imminent“

KHCast

Something something "Nintendo cycle" something something "never be fooled by insiders again" something something "Switch Pro 2023 hype!"

• Too Many Rings 1

Yup, it's the Switch to appeal for non-owners / undocked players that don't want a lite, really. 

Whilst this proves the leaks correct about the better screens, the internet rumour mill certainly got carried away with their other expectations based on that sole item with the upcoming Pro hardware and software "improvements"

I suppose rather than the "New" route... they went with the equivalent to an XL upgrade from the DS/3DS lines. Which mades sense now they've done the Lite version of the Switch (and not to mention they previously improved the base model of the standard switch a few years ago too.)

Ultimately I still think this looks lovely and I'm sure the screen is beautiful. Despite the complaints I do think it's understandable about not increasing the density for the display - what's the point when it's sharp enough already at the size it is (and the increase isn't really THAT much larger either). 

Overall it's fine. Just not what the people were hyping at the end of the day (which is not Nintendo's fault) - but still a tad disappointing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

While I'm a little disappointed that this isn't a big upgrade, I'm mostly relieved that my current red Switch isn't obsolete yet. The new model looks fine, and both the built-in LAN adaptor and adjustable stand for tabletop mode are great, but it's certainly not enough for me to consider getting one, especially since my current model isn't old at all.

That said, my brother's OG model is starting to falter a bit now, so he may get some use from upgrading. Depends on the price.

• Thumbs Up 1

$350 for the upgrade.

I may consider it only because I do like to play in handheld mode a lot, and the improved screen is appealing to me. As well as that kickstand.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:07 PM, KHCast said:

I wonder if scalpers are gonna be on this thing as well 

Almost certainly, but it probably won't go as well for them as they might think. The only real upgrade to the Switch OLED is the screen, and a very sizeable portion of the Switch's userbase either doesn't play their Switch in portable mode, or they prefer something like the Switch Lite.

With the Lite going for $200 and the Switch (2019) going for $300, and a limited appeal like that, that's going to impose a hard limit of what it is you can even expect to scalp.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

Wasn’t sure if I should make a new topic for this but *sigh* unfortunately the Switch pro rumor discourse has risen back up again 

And of course, many are taking this with a grain of salt and being careful with expectations 

oh wait, no they aren’t 

I'm having a severely hard time believing a Switch Pro could handle ray-tracing when the PS5 and Series X/S can only just about pull it off at 30fps.

The Switch can hardly run Minecraft without crashing when using the crafting table (Yes, this genuinely happened to me. I hate Bedrock.), why would people think a Switch Pro is happening?