Awoo.

Sonic Rangers Predictions...

TurkishDelight91

After not sleeping for days, I watched the Sonic Central presentation as soon as I could, and as a Sonic fan, I was pretty disappointed with the trailer, I had high hopes for gameplay, but we didn't get anything. So we has to rely on leaks.... And I don't know what to think. The two leaks that came out for Sonic rangers (which are exactly the same), they both scare me, especially the last one that came out (that guy was going ham to the game, calling it bad (while making fun of Sonic Team)), the first leak is      * l e s s * scary, because the leak was posted in January of this year, I think that it means he played the game in late 2020, and got the courage to post it now O R he decided to. So I had my hopes up, because he heavily criticized the game for being boring and annoying at times, Sega must've delayed the game to ensure the best for their next game! And by now, the game is probably way better! But I'm not sure about the second leak... I don't know if I should treat it as fake, or real. The guy in the leak seems like he's a kid, showing next to no amount of respect or professionalism, he uses slangs like lol, and he swears a lot, while the first one doesn't do any of that, and he only swears once. In both leaks, they mention that the games has some major elements which are just rip-offs of other franchises' [open world] games, I am hopeful that Sonic Team would listen very closely to the testers and try their best to fix every issue addressed (but I hope they don't listen too closely, because sometimes testers can be really bad at games, and we have seen many of Sonic's biggest critics being really bad at the blur's games). Anyways I hope that if Sega thinks that the game isn't ready for launch, they'd delay it, and make it the best it could be... What do you guys think?

1st leak: https://twitter.com/NTom64_Lyfe/status/1398012916507480067/photo/1

2nd leak: https://twitter.com/nio_tio/status/1398014099842342919/photo/1

yeee.jpeg

• Nice Smile 1

I'll bet you anything we're getting multiple player characters. Note how the word "Rangers" is plural, not singular. Ergo, it won't be just Sonic... this is the one where the floodgates finally open. Especially if the Ubisoft (bleh!) comparisons are anything to go by.

Now, what are Ubisoft games known for? Bogus "non-political" politics, microtransactions out the wazoo, terrible working conditions, laughable bugs, bland open worlds, and Towers, of course! Things you climb, secure, then race back down to keep on exploring. When you're playing a ground character like Sonic or Shadow, this gets tedious quick

But here's the thing... we have a character that doesn't need to stay on the ground in order to move.

One who's supposedly always by his hero's side... and yet, we haven't seen him on the frontlines in ages.

With Rangers... that's gonna change.

Step aside and get hyped, boys. The motherfuckin' Best Boi is finally coming back.

spacer.png

Edited by KingMario05
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

All I want is another ancient civilization (echidnas preferably but I'm OK with any other species)!!...
If true, Sonic's Spincycle from the leaks / rumours seems almost the same as Nights' paraloop...

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose for the leaks in general, (Unpopular opinion) it is a possibility that the leak is false. There have been leaks in the past that predicted some details but then got other details wrong. I immediately think of early DMC5 leaks pre-release for example.

There was a supposed Leak that predicted a bunch of things before GamesCom 2018 however got other thing very wrong. My point is that while the leak is probably legit, it's possible the leaker got very lucky with their creative writing. Guessing a name, and the possible Spin Cycle. (Sonic has left trails before while running/boosting in the past, The circle that appeared in the trailer didn't give off the impression of it doing damage when it lighted up.) does give it some legitimacy but we will need to wait and see.

As for what the person said, it's 4chan. Expect exaggeration from any poster from that cesspool.  Additionally, just because they said it's boring doesn't mean it will be. One persons opinion doesn't confirm anything, especially when he played an early version of the game. If it's taking cues from Zelda and other open world games, I probably expect NPC interactions in hubs. If there is a skill tree, Vantage points, combat, I wonder how long the game will actually be length wise? Open world game also implies replayability and a wealth of Content, the latter being a long running problem for Sonic.

4 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Note how the word "Rangers" is plural, not singular.

I don't wanna burst your bubble, but... Colours, Generations, and Forces were plural, too, and they gave us Sonic, Sonic, and Custom Sonic between themselves. And Shadow, I guess. Keep forgetting that.

With the towers, it would definitely make sense to have a more vertically-oriented character to deal with Ubisoft towers, but they could have come up with another solution, too - maybe the towers have ramps at the base so you just run straight up 'em, Generations Spagonia style, or maybe there's some totally different way of reaching the top.

I would love nothing more than for Tails to friggin' finally make his return as a playable character in a 3D mainline game, but at this stage, nothing is certain except for Sonic Team's disappointing track record with playable characters this past decade, so please hype responsibly.

57 minutes ago, Chaos Fusion said:

I wonder how long the game will actually be length wise?

If the game's taking cues from BoTW, then it would have the potential to be very short if you only bum-rush the absolutely mandatory content - which in this case seems to be the Chaos Emeralds. However, just like BoTW, you could probably also stretch it out for hours and hours if you do a lot of screwing around and/or go for all the optional things. Speaking of the Emeralds, I wonder if you'll be able to go Super at will once you have them all, or if that'll only be available for the final boss. Oh, and if you'll be able to return to the cyberspace stages once you get their Emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, King Conne said:

All I want is another ancient civilization (echidnas preferably but I'm OK with any other species)!!

More backstory involving two tailed foxes, please. I always pictured a secret society of them meeting deep underneath the Not-Vatican, plotting to destroy the world and take it over for themselves... and it'd be so cool to see their "forgotten child" 

Spoiler

(read: Tails)

finally put 'em in their place and save the world when Sonic can't.

4 hours ago, A_W said:

I don't wanna burst your bubble, but... Colours, Generations, and Forces were plural, too, and they gave us Sonic, Sonic, and Custom Sonic between themselves. And Shadow, I guess. Keep forgetting that.

With the towers, it would definitely make sense to have a more vertically-oriented character to deal with Ubisoft towers, but they could have come up with another solution, too - maybe the towers have ramps at the base so you just run straight up 'em, Generations Spagonia style, or maybe there's some totally different way of reaching the top.

I mean, there has to be some way to climb the towers quickly. Otherwise, people are gonna get bored with it really fast. And because Tails hasn't been playable in more than a decade... why not kill two birds with one stone?

3 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

I mean, there has to be some way to climb the towers quickly. Otherwise, people are gonna get bored with it really fast. And because Tails hasn't been playable in more than a decade... why not kill two birds with one stone?

...because making an entire second character because you designed part of the game in a way that is not actually fun with your main character is kind of a terrible way to make a game?

I mean there's a million ways they could solve the problem of getting Sonic to a high place quickly. You could solve this problem with a single spring. If they wanted to have a second character they ought to have a better reason and purpose for them than this.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

I guess if this is more about direct predictions. I predict that the game's combat will still be pretty mediocre styled like the leaks suggest. Sonic Team will add health bars back to enemies to try and make things more substantial, but it will still be very repetitive and button mashy, especially in the early game when you have less moves available to you. Over time, the combat will evolve to something more passable as you gain a variety of moves to spruce up fights, but won't really get away from being very light beat-em-up.

Sonic Team is gonna take cues from either Unleashed or Black Knight for combat and try to refine from what they did.

• Thumbs Up 1

A few simple guesses with the first two being i would say, at the moment, doubtful but also still within the realm of possibility!

(Maybe) Tails teaser video for Summer Game Fest

(Maybe) Knuckles teaser video for e3

(more likely but also still maybe not!) Full reveal trailer for June 23

The leaker outright says the towers have rails. If they're to be believed they've literally already solved this problem.

E2a-E1EXMAYs07C?format=jpg&name=large

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

A few simple guesses with the first two being i would say, at the moment, doubtful but also still within the realm of possibility!

(Maybe) Tails teaser video for Summer Game Fest

(Maybe) Knuckles teaser video for e3

(more likely but also still maybe not!) Full reveal trailer for June 23

I hope you're right, and I hope all three are playable. I'm damn tired of Sonic being the only hero who matters, Sega.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, here's another prediction. I think there is no boost button this time around, and if there is, it's an unlockable. While the leak says there are Sonic Generation's styled special stages, there was no mention about a boost. (At least a conventional one, if you're counting that stream effect.) This makes me think that Sonic's physics will be more like what 06 did between regular play and mach speed. On the open field Sonic is gonna control loose enough that he can make tight circles for the spin cycle, like how he did in the Adventure games. For the special stages, he'll go back to his Boost style controls, but without the aforementioned boost.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

<post>

You raise an excellent point about the actual meanings of the words, and I can't believe it didn't occur to me. This does make me a little more optimistic about the potential for multiple characters in Rangers.

2 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

More backstory involving two tailed foxes, please.

Tails' first playable appearance in a 3D mainline *this decade also being accompanied with a story focus on his species would be delightful. If we're getting Knux as well, I wonder if we'll get some additional lore about echidnas, too; maybe their stories could even be intertwined somehow. ...I'm not really sure what more they could do with echidnas, but if the Chaos Emeralds are involved, it would only make sense for echidnas to be relevant as well.

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Oh yeah, here's another prediction. I think there is no boost button this time around, and if there is, it's an unlockable. While the leak says there are Sonic Generation's styled special stages, there was no mention about a boost. (At least a conventional one, if you're counting that stream effect.) This makes me think that Sonic's physics will be more like what 06 did between regular play and mach speed. On the open field Sonic is gonna control loose enough that he can make tight circles for the spin cycle, like how he did in the Adventure games. For the special stages, he'll go back to his Boost style controls, but without the aforementioned boost.

A teaser's a teaser, so it might not reflect the actual game at all, but I think the spincycle might actually be a boost as well because of the burst and extra speed Sonic seems to take off with, both just before the Sonic Team logo and then after he finishes the circle. (Assuming what we're seeing here is the spincycle in action.) It might be that it turbo-charges all of his movements such that he can quickly change and move in any direction so long as he's doing it, which could be used for faster forward movement and also tighter maneuvers. Though when I put it that way, it... kind of sounds like it would be a twitchy nightmare to handle. Maybe not, then. I do think you're onto something with the '06-like distinction for how the hub and the cyberspace stages will control differently, though.

Edited by A_W
Not his first time ever.
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Why is it called Rangers? And what's this about towers? 

Sounds like what we're getting isn't so much Breath of the Hedgehog as it is Shadow of Eggman, doesn't it?

16 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

But here's the thing... we have a character that doesn't need to stay on the ground in order to move.

One who's supposedly always by his hero's side... and yet, we haven't seen him on the frontlines in ages.

With Rangers... that's gonna change.

Step aside and get hyped, boys. The motherfuckin' Best Boi is finally coming back.

spacer.png

Another thing to note about returning characters is that an open world pretty soundly solves the problem of their abilities breaking the linear level design. Smart level design can get around that anyway in a 3d Sonic game (Sonic GT has Ray and the level design still works fine) but an open world doesn't really require any caveats. No extra stuff the designers have to do to accommodate characters like Tails and Knuckles. If you're expected to check every nook and cranny, then having characters that can fly, glide, and climb walls stops being any kind of issue.

MY hope is more fundamental than that though. I know there's supposed to be the boost segments with bosses and chaos emerald collecting and whatever, but I want them to stay JUST that, SEGMENTS. I want them to be the game's special stages AT MOST. I want a focus on rolling physics to come back to Sonic y'know? No better time than an open world game, where HOW you move and get around being inherently fun is more important than anything. BOTW solves ITS version of this problem by building its world around climbing, gliding, and stamina, with most locations built in a generally pyramidal way, with large foundations thinning out to pointed tops so there are plenty of spots the player can choose to jump and glide from depending on where they want to go and what their circumstances are. Moment to moment, it's sprinting, climbing, and gliding as its core movement. How those work on a granular, mechanical level matters for how fun they make the game both individually AND chained together and the same sort of thinking would apply to Sonic.

The idea of just boosting from place to place, even with obstacles and challenges dotted throughout the landscape built for the boost, doesn't sound very fun to me. But running, rolling, spindashing, jumping, and homing attack/air dashing? As a series of gameplay verbs for navigating an open world platformer? SO much more appealing. It comes down to that moment to moment experience, what each thing means for the decisions you have to make per second. The boost as a mechanic is geared towards linearity, towards binary decisions, it pushes you forward continuously without allowing for much in the way of expressive movement. It reduces your movement options, rather than increasing them. But rolling? Spindashing? Those are flexible. Which way am I spindashing? Do I start rolling now and get to top speed for the higher ledge at the end of this ramp or to I start later and go for the lower path. Should I jump now or later in the slope to get where I want to go? Remember when Mario Odyssey came out and people were just going nuts with the expressive movement getting to hidden areas and coming up with new tricks? Like that but with Sonic's base gameplay (I know, open world, potentially different design needs...still though). In an open world game as much as a regular 3d platformer, what you're doing moment to moment matters most.  I think the boost would sort of be a lot like sailing in Wind Waker, where there's not really all that much you're doing between destinations but waiting until you get there and maybe swerving to pick up treasure or fighting random enemies. Basically a glorified loading screen (and I love Wind Waker, but it is what it is, faults and all).

One of the leaks described the demo they played as reminding them of one of those Unreal engine Mario things, which makes sense for something that early, EVERYTHING is a placeholder, but it makes me think this COULD be more of a platformer than we've had in a LONG time, because they said there were SEGMENTS with the boost gameplay, that unlock after collecting orbs and you go back to a main overworld and it makes me think that the meat and potatoes of the game ISN'T gonna be boosting.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, herefor1reason said:

Another thing to note about returning characters is that an open world pretty soundly solves the problem of their abilities breaking the linear level design. Smart level design can get around that anyway in a 3d Sonic game (Sonic GT has Ray and the level design still works fine) but an open world doesn't really require any caveats. No extra stuff the designers have to do to accommodate characters like Tails and Knuckles. If you're expected to check every nook and cranny, then having characters that can fly, glide, and climb walls stops being any kind of issue.

It's not quite that easy; flight may not break an open world as radically as a linear level, but you still need to design things carefully so they can't just fly over or around every obstacle.

• Thumbs Up 5

47 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's not quite that easy; flight may not break an open world as radically as a linear level, but you still need to design things carefully so they can't just fly over or around every obstacle.

Yeah, could've worded that a little better. I just meant that there wouldn't need to be some fundamental shift in how levels are designed just because your character can fly or glide. Yeah, you definitely still have to do level design, take into account the limits of your characters, how their abilities could break some of your design, but it's less a problem than for something like Sonic's levels in Adventure 1 where most of the level can just be completely skipped by flying over it where Sonic would have to run. In an open world, flying over and around stuff is less a problem, at least, if it's more Botw and less Mario Odyssey. There's definitely gonna be SOME gating but it's an open world, going wherever you want is kind of the point.

2 hours ago, herefor1reason said:

I want a focus on rolling physics to come back to Sonic y'know? No better time than an open world game, where HOW you move and get around being inherently fun is more important than anything. BOTW solves ITS version of this problem by building its world around climbing, gliding, and stamina, with most locations built in a generally pyramidal way, with large foundations thinning out to pointed tops so there are plenty of spots the player can choose to jump and glide from depending on where they want to go and what their circumstances are. Moment to moment, it's sprinting, climbing, and gliding as its core movement. How those work on a granular, mechanical level matters for how fun they make the game both individually AND chained together and the same sort of thinking would apply to Sonic.

I'd love to see this too. Your moveset in an open-world is paramount, so it'd be great for them to mesh the drift/quickstep of Gens with that classic Adventure moveset they've been avoiding for so long.

Not much of a prediction, but I do hope that they adopt some of the Lost World tool set if the game ends up being open world. If optimized, expanded, and made intuitive, I think the parkour system could be great for exploration and occasional platforming challenges. It'd also be a great means of providing meaningful verticality to the spaces for traversal.

13 hours ago, Wraith said:

The leaker outright says the towers have rails. If they're to be believed they've literally already solved this problem.

E2a-E1EXMAYs07C?format=jpg&name=large

I haven’t seen this leak before. What’s the source on it?

4 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I haven’t seen this leak before. What’s the source on it?

Same as the original. It's just a few posts down in the 4Chan thread.

11 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I’ve never seen a link to the actual thread 

Well, here you are: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/539349521/#539349521

More on the subject of the thread, I've been thinking about the 'ghost girl' some of the leaks mentioned. Given the reference to 'cyberspace' in the leaks and the focus on digital effects in the trailer, I think it's very possible that the leaks misidentified the 'ghost girl' and that she's actually an AI or something appearing to the player through holograms, like Nicole in the Archie comics.

Of course, my SatAM/Archie loving heart would really like that to actually be Nicole, but I know that has less a than zero percent chance of being the case :p.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1