Awoo.

Sonic Rangers Predictions...

TurkishDelight91

3 hours ago, Razule said:

Fake. This is too fanservice-y.

Why does fanservicey dismiss it most of all? Its not even like thats out of SEGA's grasp. I mean, unlikely, but still I'd like to have more faith in SEGA than that. 

Especially since they have been experimenting with cosmetics lately. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Why does fanservicey dismiss it most of all? Its not even like thats out of SEGA's grasp. I mean, unlikely, but still I'd like to have more faith in SEGA than that. 

There's just something about it. It sounds too close to what a fan would want. Stuff like that sets off my radar. There'd need to be a catch.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Digging up old accessories like the Soap shoes and Chip's bracelet for character customization feels like a very "fan" thing to do. See Sonic Omens turning Chip's bracelet into a grappling hook out of nowhere, for example.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not 100% impossible, considering that Forces did a similar thing

spacer.png

in general I would like more character customization for this new game. Feels like a natural evolution of what Forces brought to the table.

image.thumb.jpeg.89c8d17352d9d666d188dd2330f94faa.jpeg

As for the leaked image... probably fake

It just has all the core features of a classic fake leak

- Taken off screen

- Somewhat unfocused camera

- Picture obscures most of the screen so the leaker doesn't have to put as much effort into making it look convincing

but well done to this leaker for at least trying to make something new, instead of just another bland text based leak

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

For the OC. I feel like if they wanted Sonic to be seen in outfits he's worn before they'd have done it sooner. And Chip's bracelet is too much of deep cut.

12 minutes ago, Razule said:

For the OC. I feel like if they wanted Sonic to be seen in outfits he's worn before they'd have done it sooner. And Chip's bracelet is too much of deep cut.

well, if they ever wanted to make amends with fans then now is as good a time as any for the super deep cuts lol

but yeah I get what you mean, it's too specific and the kind of thing  only a diehard Sonic fan would even care to mention

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Razule said:

There's just something about it. It sounds too close to what a fan would want. Stuff like that sets off my radar. There'd need to be a catch.

I can't say I fully disagree. It feels like something that would have a price tag besides it. 

At the same time its not that inconsistent with SEGA atm. What with Colour's customization options and the inclusion of the movie boost. Of course, I'm not sure if there wouldn't be a price tag on it. 

And hell, there are a range of ring/glove accessories Sonic has worn over the years, between his Black Knight gauntlets, the crystal ring, or the magic hands or whatever that thing in SA2 was. 

55 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

image.thumb.jpeg.89c8d17352d9d666d188dd2330f94faa.jpeg

As for the leaked image... probably fake

It just has all the core features of a classic fake leak

- Taken off screen

- Somewhat unfocused camera

- Picture obscures most of the screen so the leaker doesn't have to put as much effort into making it look convincing

but well done to this leaker for at least trying to make something new, instead of just another bland text based leak

That Sonic model looks off as well. I could swear I'm seeing a center-mouth.

And having said that as well, I'm willing to call it fake just by the line "Sonic's comedy is incredibly funny".

8 hours ago, Razule said:

You could change Sonic's appearance, he could wear his Soap Shoes, Riders getup, Chip's bracelet and some recolored default gloves/shoes.

Fake. This is too fanservice-y.

It's amazing that we're considering a potential leak fake just because it says Sega is providing such basic fanfare like shoe/glove accessories from previous games that people have asked for. People's expectations seem to really have gone down the shitter. It's kind of unfair because the SOAP shoes did make a return in Forces, it's not an impossibility for them to return in future games.

But ya, this leak sounds bs. I'm not going to judge it for what it isn't saying because maybe this is a semi-rare instance of a "leaker" being aware of the popularity of other leaks a game gets. He mentions the infinite theme playing in some random scenarios like another older leak did, which I find interesting. So if it's a fake, he at least did his homework and tried to make it somewhat consistent while not making it a carbon copy of the other leaks by adding in mostly new details. I will judge it for the new things it brought up however, and the picture is the most suspicious part about it. It looks kinda convincing, but it could just be a decent SFM screenshot. That ground texture looks horrible though, even with the grass and the image's poor lighting trying to hide it. 

I kinda hope this leak is true because it gives a much better impression of the game's boost levels than other leaks did, which made them sound like they were only just slightly better than Forces, but worse than Unleashed and Generations. Unfortunately the leaks is probably fake.

The most believable tidbit is how the writing still apparently sucks ala the quote:

-Sonic's comedy is incredibly unfunny

That one nearly had me convinced.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, that image is weirdly chosen. The ground is very poor textured, but Sonic himself is a high quality model. In the chance this was real, this would be for an in-engine cutscene i guess. 

The weirdest detail to me however is Sonic's mouth. Someone mentioned it earlier, but yeah its the front facing mouth which SEGA haven't used in years.

Which fan games use the front facing mouth? Because this could be taken from one of them instead of even just being a custom model.  

I also thought it was a center facing mouth at first but after looking more closely, I don't think it is

35596206-49DA-4210-A5C2-DD7189D95543.jpeg.8e7a1aef2315445a96727b75f4c508ed.jpeg

I think it's just that foliage covering his face in a way that gives the impression of a mouth and makes you see things that aren't actually there

Still doesn't explain that weird black void in the back. Makes me think the leaker couldn't be bothered to make a background lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding the 4chan "leak", it is officially fake. The person responsible for the "leak" just decided to mess up with people and created the image in blender (1 & 2).

• Thumbs Up 6

welp that settles that I guess

GG leak maker, you got people talking about your leak for about a couple hours or so

and I was wrong, it actually was a front facing mouth after all

For the next leak I'd like to see a full gameplay video. That must be harder to fake up.

• Thumbs Up 2

It did at least interest me in the idea of how the open world will be structured. I seriously wouldn't mind if the game was spread out over a bunch of islands instead of just a big standard landmass and Sonic just runs over the water to get from island to island. It'd be a way to mask loading times limitations. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Islands make more sense for Sonic to me than an open world map. I'm still not really sure how that's going to work or if Sonic Team even has the manpower for that type of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the next game is open world then they really should have saved the premise of Eggman taking over the world for that. It would have been perfect.

Imagine that feeling of being in a normal location like Spagonia at the start of the game and coming back later to see it all Eggman-ified.

The college is run by a robot teaching students the ins and outs of Eggman Day and how to celebrate it correctly.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

If the next game is open world then they really should have saved the premise of Eggman taking over the world for that. It would have been perfect.

Imagine that feeling of being in a normal location like Spagonia at the start of the game and coming back later to see it all Eggman-ified.

The college is run by a robot teaching students the ins and outs of Eggman Day and how to celebrate it correctly.

yeah it's a shame the concept of a game where Eggman actually wins got wasted 

heck that could've been the premise behind the big Sonic Adventure 3  if they ever planned to make it

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

yeah it's a shame the concept of a game where Eggman actually wins got wasted 

heck that could've been the premise behind the big Sonic Adventure 3  if they ever planned to make it

I'll go a step further and say that they should've saved something huge like that for a big multi-game project, like how Ratchet and Clank had the Future trilogy. Sonic games, even with game-lengthening elements like they had in the 2000s, are just over too quickly to really do a story like that justice. They could've easily dedicated a full game each to the rise, reign and fall of the Eggman Empire.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 6/26/2021 at 5:53 AM, Soniman said:

Hard to believe that when they're making a Switch port which will just ham string the other versions into not being to much more powerful like with Forces 

On 6/26/2021 at 6:23 AM, Blue Blood said:

I agree. Forces on Switch looked alright sometimes in on the Switch version, but most of the time it looked pretty bad. It always appeared way inferior to the other platforms, smh the other platforms never managed to look particularly good. Forces felt like a game built with the weaker Switch hardware in mind, and that did it no favours in the technical department. Even with those considerations, Forces on Switch managed to run at only 30fps whilst it lacked ton is effects and the textures looked like stretched out JPEGs from 2002. Switch games and Switch ports of modern games will always be technically inferior to their contemporaries on other platforms, but it is possible to develop good ports. Forces didn't leave a good impression though.

Ya'll might want to sit down for this interview...

- The first interesting thing we heard from Iizuka-san is that the team was already committed to port the game on Nintendo Switch from the very beginning, even before anyone really knew what the console was all about.
- One of the challenges of the process was that the the team had a deadline by which the game needed to be done, and a mysterious hardware they needed to work on, without fully understanding the full extent of what it could do, or of what was unique to it.
- On the other end, what helped make development really smooth was that the team was using its own proprietary engine, the Hedgehog Engine 2. That made working on Nintendo Switch much easier once they were finally made aware of what the console actually was.
Of course, development on the Switch version was started after the other platforms. When the PS4 and Xbox One versions were in the alpha stage, the team was at the point in which they could run only one stage of the game on Nintendo's console that really looked and felt like what they were aiming to. Even if the core content of the game was done, a lot of the development for the Switch version came right at the end, in order to customize Sonic Forces to make the best out of the hardware.
Even around the time of E3, the development team wasn't yet sure if they'd make it in time. In the end, it's all thanks to the use of a proprietary engine and to having full control of it, that they managed to really polish the game for the Switch during the final stages of development.

tl;dr, Sonic Team actually did take the "Crash 4" approach of porting Forces "down" to the Switch hardware...but, you know, in usual Sonic TeamTM fashion. It's honestly a miracle the Switch version that made it to shelves wasn't a total porting disaster, which very well could had been given the hands-on previews.

Say what you will about Activision (I can say a lot myself), but at least they made a point to wait until the PS4/XBO versions were complete before starting work on a Switch version; and they elected to pick up a studio that had experience with handling Switch hardware in addition to that. (Crash 4's Switch port also had the benefit of coming out when the hardware had been out for at least three years, but that's a different story.)

Meanwhile, Sonic Team...the first tidbit up there really speaks for itself, doesn't it?

• Thumbs Up 2

So maybe a delayed release on Switch really is the smartest option?

I'd hate for the Switch version to struggle and I'd also really hate for the PS5/XBOX SERIES X versions to be weaker just because they need to keep up with a weak console

People still put Unleashed up there as the most ambitious and visually stunning Sonic of recent years (if over a decade ago counts as recent), I want Rangers to surpass that level. I want it to really blow me away, visually.

Maybe I shouldn't be setting the bar so high lol 

If their intention was to actually create a next generation Sonic game it wouldn't be on the Switch to begin with. It's obvious Sonic isn't an industry leader anymore so I don't really expect another boundary pushing game like Unleashed for some time. It might not ever happen again.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they developed this concept with the switch in mind. Probably means the open world wont be as big or have as much detail as most other games of the same type. BOTW spreads siginificant content very far apart and Mario Odyssey's environments are really small. If Sonic Rangers really is truly one continuous map(I kinda doubt it is at this point but let's humor it) I expect it to be like BOTW where there's a lot of dead air and travel is slower than you'd expect.

"Gotta make those trees really blocky or it ain't gonna run on Switch!" - Sonic Team, probably.

Why are people acting like porting Forces to Switch screwed the game over or will screw Rangers over?

I seriously do not see, nor have heard of, any significant differences between the Switch version of Forces and any other version that makes me thinking "the game suffered from being on the Switch!" Like no shit it looks and performs worse than the consoles that are double the power, but it's not in anyone's mind that the Switch version was unassailable or even inferior in any significant regard. 

I don't see any reason to be concerned about Rangers when we still don't even know what it is. And you would think, if it's an open-world game, then the idea would be to reel back on the quality of assets in favor of performance and building the open world anyway so it's likely not a very intensive game to begin with. 

This concern about performance is especially weird when making a well-running game has definitely been Sonic Team's most consistent quality since the Dark Ages. Unleashed ran like butt but that's arguably because it was too good for the systems it was made for. ColorsGenerationsLost World, yes even Forces in general are games whose performance matched its console fidelity, and when it didn't they just made a different version of the game entirely. 

14 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

And you would think, if it's an open-world game, then the idea would be to reel back on the quality of assets in favor of performance and building the open world anyway so it's likely not a very intensive game to begin with. 

...but if they have to dial back the quality for performance's sake on the more powerful hardware, how much left is there to trim away to get it working well on the weaker hardware?