Awoo.

Favorite Character - and WHY?

charmsb

This topic is just for talking about your favorite character or characters you generally like and telling us why. No shame.

As a contrarian weirdo I think I have an interesting pick to start.

Spoiler

Charmy_Bee.thumb.png.28de34673973cadc1f73582bf61db863.png

Yep, I'm serious.

Although often dunked on for his hyperactive childlike attitude, this is what drives me towards the little guy. I think he's pretty hilarious in this way. Not to mention, this personality trait is at its best when it bounces off the other members of Team Chaotix (which are, generally, my favorite Sonic characters). 1692389507_Screenshot2021-06-04at1_38_50AM.png.40a1d7896172db967c32f0955b688648.png

A hyperactive kid character just kinda feels at home in this universe and for some inexplicable reason he really gets a kick out of me. Especially those cutscenes where Vector holds him back by the head. In general these cutscenes do him justice, he's always floating around and can never seem to sit still. 

I also love this detail that especially crops up in Sonic Heroes - he mimics Vector a lot. It really helps outline his character well as a young kid.

Besides his personality, he also just has a really appealing design. The colors are striking and I think his helmet and vest are rad.

Sadly, we haven't seen much from Team Chaotix since Shadow the Hedgehog. They rarely pop up, and when they do, they're kinda just backgrounders. As far as I know anyway. Maybe some more obscure titles let them flourish. It's quite upsetting that the best these characters, Charmy especially, have gotten is only two games (Heroes and Shadow). 

Charmy in the IDW comics is alright, albeit bland and his art is a little weird at times. And he just seemed depressed in Forces.

Man, it is not a good time to be a Charmy fan, huh?

Spoiler

Well, I guess it's not a good time to bee Charmy either.

Anyways, leave your replies! Or try to have me arrested for liking this stupid son of a bee.

• Thumbs Up 2

Rouge the Bat. Not for the reasons you think. I actually do love Rouge's snarky attitude and being more of a grey area character in a game series filled with black and white morality.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Rouge the Bat. Not for the reasons you think. I actually do love Rouge's snarky attitude and being more of a grey area character in a game series filled with black and white morality.

I think she's awesome too. It's unfortunate that many people just throw away the character because they think she's just 100% sex appeal. Though I can see why they think that lol. The game models have toned that down, which I personally prefer, but the comics? They are just not holding back lmao

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, charmsb said:

I think she's awesome too. It's unfortunate that many people just throw away the character because they think she's just 100% sex appeal. Though I can see why they think that lol. The game models have toned that down, which I personally prefer, but the comics? They are just not holding back lmao

Honestly seeing Tracy draw Rouge with huge...tracks of land took me by surprise. XD

• Chuckle 2

Ok, this is going to be extremely shocking...but my favorite Sonic character...it's....Sonic. I know, extremely unique and unexpected, but he really is an amazing character. I appreciate the attitude, static character, and the many myriad of interpretations attached to the blue blur. My second favorite is probably Knuckles, and my third favorite is Blaze. They are both characters with interesting designs and have a lot of lore behind them. I really wish Blaze got some more spotlight in general. 

Oh yeah forgot to mention this in my post but I really like Big the Cat. No, I'm not joking or being sarcastic. I unironically like Big the Cat. He's the chill character, the everyman, who wants to hang out with his best friend and fish. I haven't played SA1 yet so I can't comment on Big's gameplay, but for as bad as I hear it is, I think his story is at least cute. I like his character design, he's kind of goofy, and he's one of my favorite Sonic characters. So I think Big the Cat  is pretty cool.
Mentioned in the earlier posts Rouge is an alright character and she was good in the adventure games and Heroes but she hasn't had very interesting story beats in a while. Charmy is alright but can get a tad annoying, but I understand why people like him.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Ion said:

Oh yeah forgot to mention this in my post but I really like Big the Cat. No, I'm not joking or being sarcastic. I unironically like Big the Cat. He's the chill character, the everyman, who wants to hang out with his best friend and fish. I haven't played SA1 yet so I can't comment on Big's gameplay, but for as bad as I hear it is, I think his story is at least cute. I like his character design, he's kind of goofy, and he's one of my favorite Sonic characters. So I think Big the Cat  is pretty cool.

I cannot get over his gameplay... but I really do like Big too. I feel like they make him a bit too stupid and comedic at times. I mean, he is stupid and comedic, but they also tend to suck at making him any bit funny anymore. I like him best when he's chill and good hearted. I also really thought his place in TSR's story was cool, being a super simple guy, he was able to tell that Dodon Pa was never a bad guy.

• Thumbs Up 2

talz.jpg

I love this little guy so goddamn much. Genius intellect and amazing strength... all wrapped up in a tiny airborne package who is absolutely ADORABLE. He's my go-to character in Mania, my favorite to play as in Adventure 1, and I really, really, really hope that Rangers and the new movie become his first chance to shine in years.

• Thumbs Up 6

My favorite has fluctuated over the years, but Knuckles, Vector, Cream, and Eggman consistently endured or regained their spot. I also quite like Antoine, Nega, Scourge, Sticks, and Zor.

• Thumbs Up 3

Shadow(pre 06 retcon)- To me, Every other character will never come close to changing the simplistic tone of the stories to one of a humanly nuanced evolution of themes and messages, especially about a kids themed story around a extreme looney tunes character like Sonic. I dont think i would be a a Sonic lore fan without Shadow or even given the fandom a glance without him. Hes so in flux with everything Sonic is and isnt, hes dark and serious but he can be just as silly and cheesy as well. He really comes through when the games put him in the center stage meaning something completely dire and grave is going down in from how it usually is in the story, and how the character is going to do things distinctive from the cool and jovial main lead. He has a cool independant self agency that is so strong to invest in, characters have to make themselves into his supporting cast because he outshines each and every one of them, and he has Sonics concept of being innately cool and stylish so he always is given top billing and care to make sure he doesnt let his legion of fans down. I like he doesnt stray from being a grounded human like sense of the real world and keeps a totally self confident edge of commitment to anything he focuses on, makes Sonic look weak as a character in being a mature adult and with Rouge he has someone to share his views in being egotistical yet sane in how to use their gray outlooks for the greater good.

Sadly this isnt the case, he was the most interesting sonic charactet, then sega catiuraturized him.

• Thumbs Up 5

1774778096_VectorArchie01.png.d30f1daaf24e7341c242df0b6d593a83.png

The Karma Collector! He's a fun double act as he's outwardly boisterous comic relief, but also gets to be used to great effect when things get serious. Such as recently during the Metal Virus saga with his reaction to losing Charmy, and eventual self sacrifice. This series doesn't really do subtilty but Vector has a depth that is downright subtle when contrasted by his loud bumbling personality. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Let me tell you about Dr. Ivo Robotnik, the Eggman.

A_picture_of_Dr._Robotnik_from_the_Sonic_website.png

Eggman plays a vital role in the franchise as Sonic's undisputed arch-nemesis. In most Sonic games, he's either the primary antagonist or - in games where he isn't the final boss - the direct catalyist behind the villain who is. What I'm saying is, the vast majority of things that happen in this series are because of this guy.

But I know, I know. That's merely a desription of his function within the series. What about his personality? In short, it's the best. Eggman's been portrayed a number of different ways over the past three decades, but in my opinion, the best takes on the character include the following three elements:

1. Competence. 
    image.png.23fddac1eb58ec394ab8b7007a6a9f7b.png

Eggman is a genius supervillain with an IQ of 300. At his best, he's an intimidating foe who threatens to take over the world - not with any innate superpowers like Sonic and his friends have, but with his raw brilliance, crafting a veritable army of robots and airships with nothing but raw materials and his own incredible genius. He's also a schemer, able to outwit and outplay the heroes (Tricking Knuckles, the fake Emerald gambit from SA2, pitting the Babylon Rogues against Sonic, etc.) in addition to overwhelming them with his sheer military might.

Sure, he almost always loses, but when written well, it feels like a hard-fought victory for Sonic against a worthy opponent. That's how I like my Eggman.

2. Humor. 
    studipolis.gif

Being funny doesn't conflict with being an effective villain. With Eggman, these are two sides of the same coin. 

A man who wants to use a giant space station to threaten the world into submitting to his demands? That's a serious threat. Okay, now imagine that space station is a blatant parody of the Death Star with his face on it. The threat is no less viable, but now it has the silly veneer of the childish, maladjusted person Eggman is. And that's just in a game with no dialogue! The modern games give Eggman plenty of sarcastic quips and one-liners, as well as fun banter with his robot henchmen. 

It's a common sentiment that even in games where the writing is highly criticized, many fans will say that Eggman was still written well and had many of the best lines. With such an ostentatious, bombastic personality, of course he steals the show every time he's onscreen.

3. Humanity. 
    image.png.e25fb141afe06c202afd08e0e3927478.png

So okay, Eggman's a serious threat and he's funny. But - depending on the portrayal - he can also be a rather sympathetic, even downright heroic character.

Of course, we have moments like SA2, Advance 3, etc. where Eggman teams up with the good guys to save the world - but we can set that aside, since he has plausible villainous reasons for helping (can't conquer the world if there is no world). I'm saying Eggman's done genuinely kind things without any apparent villainous motive; Leaping without hesitation to rescue Tails in Lost World, saving Sonic from falling into lava in Sonic 2 8-bit (even if it was so he could defeat him with one of his robots), telling Shadow the truth about his identity during the Devil Doom fight. All of these things didn't directly benefit him, but he did them anyway for someone else's sake.

And that's just in the games. When you factor in spinoff media like Sonic X and Sonic Boom, Eggman gets to be a real stand-up guy! In X, he sacrifices his own ship to cover for Sonic, he gives Chris and later Tails supportive, almost fatherly, advice. He summons the courage to take on a wrestler nearly twice his size (and that's saying something, since this is Eggman we're talking about!) as El Gran Gordo, so as not to crush his fans' dreams. Then in Boom, we have entire episodes with Eggman doing genuinely kind things - like treating his robotic mother to a vacation, or frantically rescuing a child from a garbage incinerator.

Of course, humanity is more than just "doing nice things." There's some genuine pain and conflict in Eggman's past. As a child, he looked up to and admired his grandfather, seeing him as a great man whose brilliance would change the world. That man, his hero, was taken from him by a corrupt government. It isn't hard to imagine how this may have affected young Ivo's view of the world, and of the powers that govern it.

While Eggman should remain a fundamentally villainous figure, I welcome these little moments of humanity - showing that he isn't some heartless monster without the capacity to care. If anything, the fact that Eggman is a human being with emotions and a heart only makes his villainy even worse. He knows what it means to care about others, and yet he still does harmful things anyway because his pursuit of power is more important to him than anything else.

And there's a tragedy to that, because Eggman - a man who loves himself and wants the rest of the world to love and admire him too - could have that very easily, if only he'd use his vast genius to help others instead of conquer them (Going back to spinoff media again, Eggman's brief stint as Mr. Tinker in IDW offered a glimpse of what he could have). Instead he tries in vain to bend the world to his will, and in his obsession with power, will ultimately never get what might actually make him happy.

Anyway, yeah. I like Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 5

36 minutes ago, Cuz said:

The Karma Collector! He's a fun double act as he's outwardly boisterous comic relief, but also gets to be used to great effect when things get serious. 

Absolutely! Hit the nail on the head! Again, I frickin love Team Chaotix, and Team Chaotix is like 60% Vector.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Anyway, yeah. I like Eggman.

You deserve a PRRRROOMOTION for that post! Seriously nice analysis! Dr. Eggman is easily one of the best video game villains of all time. Scratch that. Not one of. THE best video game villain of all time. 

• Promotion 1

Knuckles_the_Echidna.png.6e94cbe404c357959d0b77e73ac160f8.png

I have love for most of the Sonic cast but the top spot goes to Knuckles.

• I enjoyed his emerald hunting stages 
  • I like his design from his huge fists to the lego shoes
  • He's one of the few characters in fictional media that showcases one can be a powerhouse without obvious muscles.
  • I love his interactions with Rouge
  • For my favorite voice actor for Knuckles, it's a tie between Scott Dreier and Dan Green 
  • Thumbs Up 3

I used to have a group of favorite characters rather than just one (such group being Knuckles, Blaze, Cream, Big, and Fang, plus maybe someone else I forgot of, and I also went through a Shadow fan phase too), but recently I'm getting more fond of Cream the Rabbit as the time goes. The IDW comics and the Sonic Channel story in Music Plant contributed to this... I don't know, May it be nostalgia for the Advance games, or the fact that she's been neglected for long and even replaced by Omochao in TSR, or wathever, every time I see Cream being acknownledged and used in a game or different media, I'm happy.

I always liked her design, and she takes care of chao, which is something that I also like a lot. She's very kind and has her cutesy moments, but when needed, she can be serious and determined too, and with effort she can achieve goals that are bigger than what her age and strenght would allow her to. I like that above of all thing she wants to help others, especially people or creatures in trouble... it's the same spirit that Sonic had in the classic days, when he was concerned about saving the little animals and preserving the natural environment (something that is still part of the character but nowadays became a much smaller trait of him). Her personality is fun: I like that she's very curious, and has a lot of will, but she can easily cry when things go wrong, and she's annoyed of being treated like a kid (even though she IS); she's usually very open at talking with other people, but there have been a couple of moments when she was a bit shy too, like the time when she met Blaze and looked at her from behind a bush, waiting for the right moment to talk to her.

Bush.png.6aebb0675c4e94791d9c797ff5870ae7.png

Overall she brings a lot of happiness to the series, being a source of various fun and lighthearted moments, and I think that sometimes the series needs this type of characters for variety.

I also like Emerl/Gemerl, and I thought I would have never seen him again, but IDW reintroduced him (at least Gemerl), so now I have a small hope that some day Gemerl will be back and fight Eggman alongside Cream.

On a side note, I noticed that most people think that her ears do represent twintails, though I've always imagined them as just regular long hair... I get they are two, but I mean, they are rabbit ears.

Recently Silver is starting to grow on me too, but it's too early for him to join the favorites group.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

I have love for most of the Sonic cast but the top spot goes to Knuckles.

Knuckles became my favorite for a bit after playing Sonic Adventure. There is so much to love about the guy.

48 minutes ago, Iko said:

but recently I'm getting more fond of Cream the Rabbit as the time goes. 

I never had much experience with the character for a while, but she is always welcome when I see her pop up. She definitely fills a missing role in the universe.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've also come to like Cream a lot more as a character as time goes on. I'm disappointed she hasn't made an appearance in the games in a while, and the community seems to agree. Dr. Mechano's post was also absolutely amazing. He IS the Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Metal Sonic. Why? Well I remember this one time when two female Sonic fans were discussing why Metal Sonic has so many fans despite not really doing much of significance, and one of them said "Guys like cool robots". That about sums it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite characters are Tails and Knuckles.  I remembered when I was playing as both of them in the classic Sonic games that I would enjoy flying or gliding across the stages and it was just so much fun to be able to get to certain areas that I couldn't reach with Sonic by flying over to those areas.  As for the characters themselves:

Tails: I love him because he's ADORABLE AS HECK and I just loved his friendship with Sonic.  I also loved the fact that he's a technical genius, since it's rare to see such characters in video games and I love how he's able to use his machines to help out Sonic and his friends.

Knuckles:  *KNOCK, KNOCK, IT'S KNUCKLES!*  LOL, I love that saying!  Anyway, I always loved Knuckles because he's shown as being one of the toughest characters in the franchise and I just loved his rivalry with Sonic.  I also loved his serious nature, despite the fact that the other characters can be wacky at times, which brings on the humor to his character.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, batson said:

Metal Sonic. Why? Well I remember this one time when two female Sonic fans were discussing why Metal Sonic has so many fans despite not really doing much of significance, and one of them said "Guys like cool robots". That about sums it up.

"If you tried to testify under oath that Metal Sonic WASN'T cool, you would go to fucking jail." - Cybershell

And it's true. He's an incredibly well designed character. I think we should hype him up more. It seems like there has been a push recently to include him more. He popped in Mania, then was a main antagonist in Mania Adventures. He sorta showed in Forces, then became big in the comics. And now? He's gonna be in Colors Ultimate AND the accompanying animated short. I think they're finally realizing that Metal Sonic is cool as shit.

Also I really like what they do with him in IDW. He's like a son to Dr. Eggman and struggles with being Sonic's copy. They take that cheesy "I'm the one true Sonic!" thing from Heroes and the OVA and make it a real part of the character. It's awesome, and so cool to see a previously one-dimensional character get a bit fleshed out.

I'll admit that Metal Sonic is my favorite Sonic character, as well. Pretty much always has been since CD, anyways. The design is definitely more than half the reason, considering he's usually just portrayed as a cold, unfeeling robot. And times where he's not, well, let's just say I really hate what Heroes did to him- I really disagree with that direction for the character. Even if he was built specifically to defeat Sonic, him getting a complex over becoming the one and only real Sonic and going mad with power like he did seems over the top and completely unnecessary for a character whose motivation isn't even needed; he just does as he was programmed to, and I feel like that's fine- he's the one character who I feel serves his role best the LESS development he has as a character. But that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honey The Cat. She is an obscure video game character. And I want to see her again.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, SnooPigu said:

I was hoping to see more Shadow and Eggman picks honestly.

Me too, but SEGA is doing the best they can to make everyone hate Shadow and Eggman hasn't been an intimidating villain since SA2

24 minutes ago, dudebro1993 said:

Me too, but SEGA is doing the best they can to make everyone hate Shadow and Eggman hasn't been an intimidating villain since SA2

Hopefully, with all the backlash that Shadow's character is getting lately, maybe SEGA will try to make Shadow more relevant again or at least written well again?  But then again, I can say that for all of their characters at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1