Awoo.

Behaviour on Trains

RainbowLizard

Many of us have done it. We have all listened to music while watching the world pass by on the train and let your worries flow away. It's very relaxing and fun. Also, sometimes you may phone your friend who you're meeting on the station to make sure schedules are okay and check up on things.

But STOP. You're now apparently an evil little 'youth of today' who is now a horrible person, littering, chewing, and talking loudly on the train and being rude to others, apparently according to most readers of the Metro newspaper. This kind of attitude caused me to post this.

Is it really that annoying, so that you have to judge people who listen to their iPods simply on the fact they have wires dangling out of their heads? Most complain that we should 'talk to each other more on the train'; when in today's society, apparently everyone we talk to is a weirdo who's gonna take us down an alleyway and rape us. It's also funny that people complain about the use of phones; it's no louder than talking to another person on the train, but simply, you can't hear the other side of the conversation, so is it really that bad?

I understand it may be an exaggeration, but I once listened to my iPod on the train, quietly so it didn't annoy anyone else, and I was met with hateful glares from the businessman next to me (so when he got up to go to the toilet I took a bit of some leftover coffee and left it on his seat, so when he came back and sat on it not realising, it exploded all over his expensive suit. Mwahaha!)

However, things I find annoying on trains; talking LOUDLY on the phone, I don't mean a bit louder than usual, I mean BELLOWING down the thing as if you might as well just shut the phone off and lean your head out the window and shout your message to the guy on the other end of the phone. This is annoying and also headache inducing. People who listen to their iPods at too loud a level is unacceptable also. I also find it quite annoying when old ladies laugh really loud while chatting. It's really annoying especially when they have loud voices. Finally, I think it's annoying when I'm looking for a seat and can't get one because everyone's decided to put their bags up on the seat next to them.

Does anyone else have certain experiences on the train that they find annoying?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I understand it may be an exaggeration, but I once listened to my iPod on the train, quietly so it didn't annoy anyone else, and I was met with hateful glares from the businessman next to me (so when he got up to go to the toilet I took a bit of some leftover coffee and left it on his seat, so when he came back and sat on it not realising, it exploded all over his expensive suit. Mwahaha!)

You, sir, are everything that's wrong with the youth of today.

Srsly. Wtf?!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You, sir, are everything that's wrong with the youth of today.

Srsly. Wtf?!

XD I was having fun. He was acting like a dick anyway, and to be honest nobody else liked him cause he was on his phone acting all 'Oh yes I'm on the train now. Shame the surrounding people are all idiots less intelligent than me'. And instead of 'Excuse me' it was 'move you nitwit', when he got up from the seat, so really he deserved it.

Strange how society ends up so weird on trains, though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

As someone who has started to take a great deal of trains lately... one thing that they should outright ban on trains would be the following.

Drunks and Alcohol.

I cannot get on a train anymore without some drunk guy causing havoc, or the worst thing, a group of drunks getting on and causing lots of disruption on board. It doesn't even matter the time of the day anymore, it seems that at any time of the day theres some drunk on board or a bunch of guys boozing and gradually getting louder as the trip goes on.

It's not just the fact that they're noisy, it comes off as being very aggressive and often you see drunks fighting with one another on trains. But the staff on board notify the transport police at the next stop... they get on... drunks get off, they get a warning, transport police get back on board.... low and behold... the train is now delayed and potential connections are missed.

Given how much security airports have these days, the security on and at trainstations (even the very highly populated ones) is a complete and utter joke. The only exception to this would be Kings Cross London... if the PM's train is approaching, which one day I was there when it arrived and my God you couldn't fart for security staff.

(so when he got up to go to the toilet I took a bit of some leftover coffee and left it on his seat, so when he came back and sat on it not realising, it exploded all over his expensive suit. Mwahaha!)

If I was that business man I would have slapped you around the head if I saw you doing that. Someone gives you an evil so you pour coffee on his seat and ruin his suit. Grow the fuck up.

'Oh yes I'm on the train now. Shame the surrounding people are all idiots less intelligent than me'.

What? He said that... and not one person said anything? Where was this train going, because if the people there are that much of a pushover I intend to go and explot them for all they're worth.

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't mind people with i-pods as long as they have the volume at a level only they can hear, most people on buses and trains will have it pumped up to a level everyone else can hear which just gives me a headache. One time the bus driver threw this guy with loud music on off the bus for it, that driver was awesome.

Alot of idiots who play loud music on the buses and trains dont even have i-pods so they instead play it from their mobile phones without headphones, they just play it through the speaker on their phone annoying everyone on the bus/train.

I agree with Casanova about the drunks on trains, it happens on double decker buses sometimes too in the top deck. When I was on one of the trains back from SoS this year their were a bunch of drunken guys sitting their supping their cans of Carling in front of everyone like it was normal to be boozing on the train. They stunk, looked completely drunk and were laughing like hyena's.

On one of the other trains a guy snuck into the loo with a can of Stella Artois and came out 10 minutes later, I went in there and there was the can next to the loo. Disgusting.

Another thing I hate on the trains which I experienced on the underground train back from SoS is beggars. One of them snuck onto the train carriages further down and was making a big begging speech and went up to every passenger with his cup then at every stop got off and on to the next carriage repeating the same thing.

When he got to our carriage I was so scared as I had no change nor wanted to give him any anyway but thank god he didn't say anything to me when I didn't give him anything. Barely anyone on my carriage gave him anything. When he got off at the next stop he left my carriage complaining under his breath at how tight we all were as if we owed him alot of money for nothing :lol: He carried on to the next carriage and tried there and so on. Now that is something I could do without on the trains.

• Bad Quality Post 1

As someone who has started to take a great deal of trains lately... one thing that they should outright ban on trains would be the following.

Drunks and Alcohol.

I cannot get on a train anymore without some drunk guy causing havoc, or the worst thing, a group of drunks getting on and causing lots of disruption on board. It doesn't even matter the time of the day anymore, it seems that at any time of the day theres some drunk on board or a bunch of guys boozing and gradually getting louder as the trip goes on.

It's not just the fact that they're noisy, it comes off as being very aggressive and often you see drunks fighting with one another on trains. But the staff on board notify the transport police at the next stop... they get on... drunks get off, they get a warning, transport police get back on board.... low and behold... the train is now delayed and potential connections are missed.

Given how much security airports have these days, the security on and at trainstations (even the very highly populated ones) is a complete and utter joke. The only exception to this would be Kings Cross London... if the PM's train is approaching, which one day I was there when it arrived and my God you couldn't fart for security staff.

If I was that business man I would have slapped you around the head if I saw you doing that. Someone gives you an evil so you pour coffee on his seat and ruin his suit. Grow the fuck up.

What? He said that... and not one person said anything? Where was this train going, because if the people there are that much of a pushover I intend to go and explot them for all they're worth.

Oh trust me, the people on my trains don't say anything. Seriously, one kid actually came up, screamed in one of their faces, and they just shook their heads and buried them into a newspaper. Anyway, yeah, basically the most you'd get on those trains for anything is a disapproving look and them to shake their heads at you and get on with their business.

It's the trains from Leeds. I have to admit it's gotten better since that incident. Now when you get to my station you don't get at all as much people going 'Baaaarnsley dirty baaaaarnsley let's all go darn t'pit with all the muckies from Baaaarnsley' (an actual extract from a chav going from Leeds to Sheffield in around January 2009.)

As you can see, the daily commute really is devoid of any sort of caring. Society really goes to pot in trains.

Ever thought that guy from the coffee incident might have just been in a bad mood from a stressful time in life and needed to vent somehow? You're officially just as bad as him and should have just taken the moral high ground by not acting back. =\

I pretty much sit silently listening to music on the train. If someone shoots me a dirty glance because of it (never happened), I'll think they're weird and avoid their gaze. If someone asks me to turn it down, I'll probably say "okay, sorry, didn't realise it was loud enough to hear". Though if I'm on a train with a quiet carriage avaliable, I'll still think they're weird in that case too.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I understand it may be an exaggeration, but I once listened to my iPod on the train, quietly so it didn't annoy anyone else, and I was met with hateful glares from the businessman next to me (so when he got up to go to the toilet I took a bit of some leftover coffee and left it on his seat, so when he came back and sat on it not realising, it exploded all over his expensive suit. Mwahaha!

That's ridiculous. All he gave you was a simple glare, shit happens.

I get the train a lot, you get some funny folk but not much. If the train is empty I like to block seats so I don't have people sit next to me because it invades my large personal space, but on a busier train I'm much more willing to give. Normally I just read the metro or something. If it's a longer journey, I take my DS and stick the headphones in. Or play without sound. Or look out the window as the scenery goes past. I don't find it that dull.

The most annoying thing on trains for me is the chavs who blare their music with the speakers on their phones. Nobody tells them off either, else risking an earful or probably worse. People never stand up to anyone on the train unless a real argument kicks off I suspect, not seen anything kick off on a train. Most drunks I've seen are pretty inoffensive, and I've been drunk on trains before :x

Trains are much better than fucking buses at least, I really hate buses. Busy trains are less annoying than buses, but quiet trains are glorious. I reckon you're overreacting with trains.

EDIT: didn't read that properly. However, you still sunk to low levels.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Drunks and Alcohol.

I ride the NJ Transit into New York quite often, and usually go through Hoboken (right across the river from the city) because the subway there gets me to where I need to be more directly. I wrote about it in the expression topic, where I got into an argument with a station man. Riding Hoboken trains is pretty funny. It's mostly Jersey-side commuters, but if you take the late trains you get the college kids. Hoboken is like a little New York, trying to be attractive to Jersey residents and attracting college kids who want to go bar hopping in the comfort of their own backyard. These late trains will always have at least one group of drunken kids being loud and obnoxious. I was in the train where this one kid, who was stumbling around drunk, went into the bathroom and couldn't figure out how to open it from the inside. We tried to help him out by telling him how the door worked, but he got frustrated with us instead. "That's what I'm doing you dumb bitch!" We decided to leave him in there for 15 minutes screaming and banging until an employee unlocked it for him. I actually love these little encounters on trains.

I met a guy all the way from Denver on my train who asked me to smell his "premium weed" (purple haze) which bought off his new friend earlier in the day. His uncle owned a yacht, he told me. He was well off and wanted to tell me all about it. I had a conversation with an extremely cute girl about my hat, and religion, and how she organizes shows for ska bands that I listen to. She got off the stop before me, and like an idiot I didn't get her contacts.

So yeah, I love riding the train, even though it can be stressful. I think I have more stories from the New Jersey trains than I do the New York subway system, which is surprising. I know someone died on the L the other week, on the tracks. I've heard about train masturbators on the subway, but I've thankfully never run into one of them.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

I only talk on the phone if I really really have to, and then I always speak quietly and keep the calls short. I'll text otherwise. I do listen to music but if I'm next to someone I tell them that if it's too loud then to just tell me and I'll turn it down. If I eat food, I always tidy up after myself because that's just basic manners. I keep my bags out the way so people have room for themselves/feet/their stuff and I'll give up my seat if someone needs it more than me.

I think it's just basic manners really. I don't see what's so hard about being polite and courteous

I hate:- people drinking alcohol on trains, people who shout/talk loudly, people who take up LOADS of room, people who put their stuff on the chair next to them so you can't sit down, people with really loud music that you can hear even when the have headphones on (why do that? you're damaging your ears!).

I don't mind kids though, because their parents are usually trying their hardest and it's awful if your child is making noise because you know that everyone is staring and juding you. I also really really like old people, especially old men because they're always nice to me.

I had a bad time the last time ( for 8 hours)I went on train my daughter who was 4 months old was crying to be fed so I started to breastfeed and some guy came up to me say it was gross and cant I go to the toilets I was like umm no what you rather have a screaming baby or a sleeping one it's not like I wasn't covered up, He came back with a member of staff she just said it was ok and she couldn't ask me to go to toilets 'cause of human right lol in your face and she was as good as gold for the whole trip thank god the guy moved in the end idiot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a bad time the last time ( for 8 hours)I went on train my daughter who was 4 months old was crying to be fed so I started to breastfeed and some guy came up to me say it was gross and cant I go to the toilets I was like umm no what you rather have a screaming baby or a sleeping one it's not like I wasn't covered up, He came back with a member of staff she just said it was ok and she couldn't ask me to go to toilets 'cause of human right lol in your face and she was as good as gold for the whole trip thank god the guy moved in the end idiot.

How rude. I don't like seeing women breastfeeding, but I just don't look! It's not hard to just look the other way, especially if they're covered up.

Drunks and Alcohol.

Urggh I hate drunks on trains. You're absolutely right as well. You can get on a train at any time of day and almost guarantee that there will be some yobo with a can of Stella in his hand. Now I don't know about everyone else, but I know how frightening it is to be beckoned by a group of drunken louts on the last train of the night, you and them being the only ones in the carriage. "Oi luv" is the common come on. No escape route, and they get abusive if you don't answer.

Their loud, aggressive and obnoxious - like most drunks really, but within a confined space. It shouldn't be allowed.

I hate:- people drinking alcohol on trains, people who shout/talk loudly, people who take up LOADS of room, people who put their stuff on the chair next to them so you can't sit down, people with really loud music that you can hear even when the have headphones on (why do that? you're damaging your ears!).

Certain types of headphones leak a lot of sound out, regardless of volume.

If it's just little earbuds though, yeah having them that loud is stupid.

To be honest, I don't think I've traveled via public transport enough to have annoyances with people on it, I just put headphones on and mind my own business.

Urggh I hate drunks on trains. You're absolutely right as well. You can get on a train at any time of day and almost guarantee that there will be some yobo with a can of Stella in his hand. Now I don't know about everyone else, but I know how frightening it is to be beckoned by a group of drunken louts on the last train of the night, you and them being the only ones in the carriage. "Oi luv" is the common come on. No escape route, and they get abusive if you don't answer.

Their loud, aggressive and obnoxious - like most drunks really, but within a confined space. It shouldn't be allowed.

There was an incident not very long ago on one of the lines near to where I live, a bunch of guys got on the train, all drunk and on drugs, decided it would be fun to run up and down the carriges shouting "I've got a bomb! Give us your money! Give us your money! Get on the floor!"

All the passengers on board knew that they didn't have explosives, but nobody dared to do anything, mainly because they didn't know what they may have had if they were so intoxicated to do that.

Eventually transport police stormed the train and arrested them.

But I find it increadible, that story got virtually no media attention, you can bet if it had then there would have been a serious debate about trains and conduct aboard them.

Now who's a fool? :(

I take the train 4 times a week, and I always listen to my iPod, because frankly I don't want to hear the banter from the other passengers (or especially crying babies and unruly 6 year-olds screams). I don't know how loud is loud. When listening to my iPod I never thought about other passengers whether they can here the hiss from my earphones. Not that I've ever noticed dirty looks in my direction. Must have been worse up until last year when I still wore big headphones instead of little earphones. Mind you today I'd have the volume up high enough so I can hear it properly because my trains can be quite noisy. :P

Oddly enough, I was rather irate on the mobile phone, not wishing to talk to "whoever kept calling me". I don't like talking on the phone on a crowded train, but then I was a bit irate because there was train failures on the way home, among other issues.

Edited by Major Ziggy

Now who's a fool? :(

I take the train 4 times a week, and I always listen to my iPod, because frankly I don't want to hear the banter from the other passengers (or especially crying babies and unruly 6 year-olds screams). I don't know how loud is loud. When listening to my iPod I never thought about other passengers whether they can here the hiss from my earphones. Not that I've ever noticed dirty looks in my direction. Must have been worse up until last year when I still wore big headphones instead of little earphones. Mind you today I'd have the volume up high enough so I can hear it properly because my trains can be quite noisy. :P

One way to find out how much noise leaks out is to put on a song at a level of volume you would typically use, keep the earphones out of your ears (maybe face the speakers into your palm) and see how bad it really is. If that's as bad as it can be, I'd advise seeking out earphones that have very little or no noise leakage; check out reviews on Amazon and CNET to get good ones.

In ear type headphones (the earplug esque ones) should have the least leakage, followed by the big closed headphones (with the earcup that goes around your ear) which are good also.

Big headphones that sit -on- your ear (open headphones) are pretty bad for that though, as are the little earbuds.

+1 vote for no drunks on trains.

One thing I hate and never do is when ONE lone person sits at a table for four, and doesn't even really use the table for work or anything. I'm okay with it if the train is practically barren, I'll assume they take the train often and know it's not popular at this time, but generally I always take a two-seater spot if I'm on my own. I'll usually sit on the side near the aisle with my bag next to me, but that's general paranoia and wanting to protect my belongings, lol. Once the train starts to be filling up, I'll move my bag down, shuffle over to the window seat and free up the aisle one.

I hate taking two-seaters because there's no goddamn leg room, so I'll always go for an open four-seater area if I can. In crowded trains I'll be more than happy to take a two-seater though.

So, let me get this straight.

You were upset that you were mistakingly perceived as being a troublemaker just for listening to music... So in response to this, you lived up to his expectations by causing trouble, rather than trying to avert the unfair stereotype that you expressed disdain at having been labelled with.

I fail to see the point.