SnooPigu

I dont trust Sega with getting Shadow right as a independant role

Maybe becauze hes intrinsically supposed to be a dark mirror to Sonic and plays off that first and foremost than any sort of self narrative of individuality and agency in the eyes of Sonic Teams staff. I made peace Shadow wont be like his 06 or archie self because Sega they cant go far with him without being a counter to Sonic in some form and they view Sonic tantamount before anything Shadow does. What do you think?

Shadow's time as an independent pillar that could stand alongside Sonic is long gone. It's rather clear that was a controversial and divisive direction for the franchise due to how many people were complaining about how much of the spotlight he was getting over the oldies like Tails and Knuckles. And so Sega have all but demoted him to just being another secondary character and occasional rival to Sonic. 

Its not my preferred way to utilize the character, but Sega are committed to showcasing and highlighting Sonic as the primary heroic figure in the series and what they're doing with Shadow is just reflective of that. If nothing else, he's at least protected enough to basically guarantee a major appearance every now and then as a boss fight. 

He could still clash and rival Sonic while still being his older characterizations. Easily. They won't do it, but he can. The way Shadow and Sonic handle situations can be a lot different. I've said it before, Shadow is the authority to Sonic's anarchy. Do you really think Sonic, the free-spirited guy he is, likes the fact that Shadow technically works for G.U.N.? Come on, theres tons of angles to explore there without sacrificing Shadow or Sonic's character. Good guys with different motives.

I say, if they're dead-set on keeping him as the resident edgelord, go all the way and just make him a villain again. THAT would at least line up with how they portray him as... hell, we could even get a "dark" storyline where new-Shadow is the star of the show.

Spoiler

I don't WANT this to happen, but it's clear that Sega wants it to happen while also pandering to fans of his prior incarnation... thereby pleasing no one and making the continuity even more of a mess than it already is. Pick one and stick with it, you bastards.

1 hour ago, charmsb said:

He could still clash and rival Sonic while still being his older characterizations. Easily. They won't do it, but he can. The way Shadow and Sonic handle situations can be a lot different. I've said it before, Shadow is the authority to Sonic's anarchy. Do you really think Sonic, the free-spirited guy he is, likes the fact that Shadow technically works for G.U.N.? Come on, theres tons of angles to explore there without sacrificing Shadow or Sonic's character. Good guys with different motives.

Isnt that what they did in the idw comic? Shadow stood for a cause that was authoritive and judgemental in nature compared to Sonic's free moral agency and loose ends methods against the fate of sparing Eggman.

16 minutes ago, SnooPigu said:

Isnt that what they did in the idw comic? Shadow stood for a cause that was authoritive and judgemental in nature compared to Sonic's free moral agency and loose ends methods against the fate of sparing Eggman.

Yep. It was awesome honestly, and exactly what I want from future Shadow. Other points in the comic don't do him justice but the showdown at the village was great.

30 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Man I am so glad I have never cared about Shadow one way or another because it seems terrible. 

Yet here you posting in a topic about him to talk about how much you don't care :V

18 hours ago, SnooPigu said:

I haven't quite got to this part in the comics yet but if thats where they go with Shadow thats an incredible story arch and a deeply satisfying understanding of the character. I feel that this would be the best direction to take Shadow in the games as well, place Sonic and Shadow in a situation where they have to ultimately fight for a similar cause but branch off essentially on a moral dilemma something Captain America: Civil War style. As Shadow stands right now regreatably, I find myself unable to truely understand entirely who Shadow actually is, not through a lack of wanting to! I kind of wish he would say "This is who I am" and stick with it. He's been greatly mistreated and had such a lack of direction. I think Shadow has a very interesting narrative to tell, yet Sonic Team clearly didn't expect him to be as popular as he was after Adventure 2 and just decided to throw things at the Story board and see what sticks, regretably up to now, I don't think anything truely has! Now I think they have just realised that one of the things they have to tick off is just that he makes an appearence, as he is so widely popular. I feel now he is nothing more than just an afterthought, which is a shame, especially because I know for a large amount of fans, he's such a beloved character.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, herbhen said:

I haven't quite got to this part in the comics yet but if thats where they go with Shadow thats an incredible story arch and a deeply satisfying understanding of the character. I feel that this would be the best direction to take Shadow in the games as well, place Sonic and Shadow in a situation where they have to ultimately fight for a similar cause but branch off essentially on a moral dilemma something Captain America: Civil War style. As Shadow stands right now regreatably, I find myself unable to truely understand entirely who Shadow actually is, not through a lack of wanting to! I kind of wish he would say "This is who I am" and stick with it. He's been greatly mistreated and had such a lack of direction. I think Shadow has a very interesting narrative to tell, yet Sonic Team clearly didn't expect him to be as popular as he was after Adventure 2 and just decided to throw things at the Story board and see what sticks, regretably up to now, I don't think anything truely has! Now I think they have just realised that one of the things they have to tick off is just that he makes an appearence, as he is so widely popular. I feel now he is nothing more than just an afterthought, which is a shame, especially because I know for a large amount of fans, he's such a beloved character.

I agree, theres a ton of layers to explore with shadow. Notably his relationship with Sonic, i always thought it would be akin to a older brother(shadow) and younger brother(sonic) relationship but much intense and violent, shadow should represent cold hard adult reality to sonics active childlike fantasy like kirby and metaknight.

Makes their rivalry more thematic. Also i dont feel hes as much as a beloved character as he once was, hell Rouge is more beloved than he is nowadays.

2 hours ago, SnooPigu said:

I agree, theres a ton of layers to explore with shadow. Notably his relationship with Sonic, i always though would be akin to a older brother(shadow) and younger brother(sonic) relationshio but much intense and violent, shadow should represent cold hard aduly releality to sonics active childlike fantasy like kirby and metaknight.

Makes their rivalry more thematic. Also i dont feel hes as much as a beloved character as he once was, hell Rouge is more beloved than he is nowadays.

Yes this exactly! The problem in the end is that Sonic Team have differentiated him through Gameplay "Give him a gun to make him look edgy" and actually forgot about what made Shadow actually shadow. That show's in how insiginficant a role he now plays in the overall narrative of the games. Even if you wanted to simply their narrative and make Sonic and Shadow race towards the chao's Emeralds, Shadow somewhat for his own personal gains, and have a dillema at the end where Sonic has to convince him to give up the emeralds in order to save the day. Something that simple would even work as a good starting point over the rubbish cameo like appearences we have now.

On 6/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, KingMario05 said:

I say, if they're dead-set on keeping him as the resident edgelord, go all the way and just make him a villain again. THAT would at least line up with how they portray him as... hell, we could even get a "dark" storyline where new-Shadow is the star of the show.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't WANT this to happen, but it's clear that Sega wants it to happen while also pandering to fans of his prior incarnation... thereby pleasing no one and making the continuity even more of a mess than it already is. Pick one and stick with it, you bastards.

Well... that actually sounds like a good idea there, even if only as a “literal-genie” concerning Sega’s mandates. 

Anyways, I feel like if even IDW can’t get him right, we shouldn’t even bother and keep him narrative-wise in cold storage until the mandates surrounding him are gone. 

23 hours ago, SnooPigu said:

Its jarring that shadow has fans who write him better than those who write him in the official sonic media. I mean thats just....sad.

I completely agree, I've seen fanfics where Shadow was better written than by these clowns at SEGA!

18 hours ago, SnooPigu said:

I think there lying about the mandates, they just dont want to uae him anymore in a equal standing to sonic.

I think so too, they can't have any character overshadowing Sonic.

Sonic Team naturally.

Another topic, i love how in some iterations of sonic and shadows rivalry is how sonic clashes with shadows viewpoints of heroism and likely idealism, i feel out of all of sonics rivals and foils, Shadow is more important to Sonic in how he expresses his heroism and humanity to be good and do good. More than Eggman, Shadow is a hero himself but he lacks Sonic's personal habit to be a good and kindhearted sumaritan and friend to everyone, and doesnt care about how he acts on doing things that are inhuman in sonic and most ofnthe casts eyes to get the job done and save the world.

Its really nice that their equal to everything but responsibilties and boundries as heroes and foils.