Awoo.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins (2022, PS4, PS5, XBone, Xbox Series, PC) "Desire to kill Chaos intensifies"

Teoskaven

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/square-enix-and-team-ninja-announce-stranger-of-paradise-final-fantasy-origin-for-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc

Leaked not too long ago, officially revealed during Square-Enix' E3 conference:

Collaboration between Square-Enix and the Nioh branch of Team Ninja, aims at a similar product. Seems to be a reinvention of the plot of the very first FF game, though there seem to be more modern aesthetics and your party is composed by 3 people and not 4. Combined that with the premise and how the story is presented in the trailer, i'm getting the idea it's a mystery that plays a bit with the plot elements of FFI.
Reception has been divisive, though i'm personally at least interested to see where this is going.

There is already a demo out on PS5, if you want to try it.

Gotta love how badly this demo is gonna play out in terms of drawing interest. It’s limited time and Sony already confirmed they won’t be restocking PS5’s until 2022 apparently. Sooo, most people are just shit out of luck there 

Why even have a limited time demo?

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Why even have a limited time demo?

Cause they think FOMO will work here for some reason, like what Nintendo does 

Just now, KHCast said:

Cause they think FOMO will work here for some reason, like what Nintendo does 

Yeah, unlike Nintendo, they don't exactly have the stock to back up such a cocky maneuver.

These characters look more like Final Fantasy 15 characters than the actual Final Fantasy 15 characters. The protagonist literally looks like Cor after getting some beauty sleep and dying his hair 

edit: 

Welp

• Chuckle 1

Yeah, awesome sword aside, I'm not really feeling the protagonist designs for this game.

The trailer didn't present this very well. Final Fantasy and gaming as a whole has had it's fair share of revenge quests  but the way this one is framed seems like parody. Overly dark, muddy visuals and a group of tired, bland archetypes as the protagonists made this one seem like a wet fart out the gate.

Once the initial shock value passes it looks...fine. I liked the inclusion of classic FF spells and enemies and I really dig the idea of taking the job system and dropping it into real time environment. As an action game it could be decent. I'd like to get my hands on it at some point.

Honestly, I don't mind this as much as others. Having a game be a parody of itself can be fine if executed well. Several "edgy but wacky" games exist, with Metal Gear Rising Revengeance being the perfect mix between the two.

Sadly the demo will give the game an early negative reception but I await further news regarding it.

• 7 months later...

We got some updates and a second demo in the meantime, but i'll just post the final trailer since we're close to release:

Yup, it's pretty clear they're not hiding anymore what the scope of the story is. And personally, i'm ok with that, i stll wanna see how we get there.
Also, was not expecting at all the usage of the original version of My Way, Square at best asked a band to make a cover like with Stand by Me for FFXV. In tune with the game, this feels more and more an elaborate fanmade shitpost more than anything.

And i wouldn't want it any other way.