Awoo.

Metroid 5 Dread - 16 Years IN The Making!

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

spacer.png

A new Metroid game is coming to coming to Nintendo Switch.

Supposedly, a game in the making since  2005, at long last, we are getting a game that takes place after Fusion!

It appears that a team led by Sakamoto are partnering with Mercury Steam (the makers of Samus Returns) to bring about this project that has been in development hell for nearly 16 years!

NEW STORY
NEW MECHANICS
HORROR ELEMENTS
NEW SUIT

ITS LIKE THEY TOOK MY WISHLIST AND JUST SAID LETS MAKE THIS FUCKING GAME THANK YOU NINTY I LOVE YOU

• Thumbs Up 5

Legitimately the biggest surprise. A game in developmental hell and to my knowledge - long since cancelled - finally showing up alive again. Only thing I could've asked for with it was a Fusion remaster.

This will likely be a day one purchase for me!

Everything about it just looks so wonderful; the robotic enemies bring a slightly more underused element of previous games to the forefront, I love how the EMMI appears to act like a spiritual successor to Fusion's SA-X encounters, and Samus' new suit is just... oh, I love it! Legit would love to see this suit (or at least the colour scheme) come to a future Smash game!

Hell, I'm even tempted to get the Amiibo figures too, just to have them displayed.

A development history video from series creator Sakamoto.

This game definitely looks to be worth a "Wha Happun" video. There's probably years worth of unused content to mine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Amazing. I went in hoping for something along the lines of Samus Returns being ported to the switch... but this surprise is SOOO much better! 

Props to Nintendo for showing gameplay when announcing this, and lots of it too if you count Nintendo Treehouse. They're learning not to announce games the same way they did Metroid Prime 4, and that's great. I'm hoping other franchises learn from this too.

The game itself looks awesome, I didn't believe a new 2D Metroid was coming at all until I saw it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh. Cheeky Jojo reference as they showcase the Omega blaster mechanic. 

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

They're learning not to announce games the same way they did Metroid Prime 4

Announcement when you have a successful console vs announcement coming off a flop console.

They really put a lot of thought into the little things as far as the games atmosphere goes and I love it. Even with that Omega Beam, you are forced to charge it and allow the EMMI to get close before you can get a shot in to finish it off. That is manufactured risk/reward and free tension.

I loved the Dahaka in Prince of Persia, so I think EMMI will evoke those vibes and fit right in.

As a long-time fan, I'm so glad to see a new Metroid release while Prime 4 is still being developed; and its a long-rumored game no less!

I'm particularly excited to finally see how Samus' story continues after the events of Fusion; with her being on the run from the Galactic Federation. Will the Adam computer still be around? Is that one shot of a living Chozo going to be helping our heroine, and maybe responsible for her new suit? Are there still X parasites somewhere? Is Ridley truly going to stay dead? 

I should probably start saving for a Switch now. 

3 hours ago, Austroid said:

Will the Adam computer still be around?

The Treehouse demo confirms he will be. When the player reaches a communication room, Samus will upload Adam into a large device, similar to Fusion.

Apparently he'll be giving out lore details throughout the game, but won't be actively directing you to your next destination. The player has to figure that out for themselves.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm just waiting to see how they're going to bring back Ridley this time. Tradition, and all that.

I've never really played Metroid. I've got whatever ones were included in the 3DS Ambassador scheme and that's it. But this game really grabbed my attention. I've pre-ordered the nice looking collectors edition. 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I've never really played Metroid. I've got whatever ones were included in the 3DS Ambassador scheme and that's it. But this game really grabbed my attention. I've pre-ordered the nice looking collectors edition. 

It's a good series, and it's also easy to catch up for new players, since in order to understand the overall story you just need to play 4 games.

The Metroid Prime series and its spin-offs are a branch of the story that's canon to the main timeline but secondary, and it mostly tells the story of the Phazon and Dark Samus (but spin-offs such as Hunters and Federation Forces tell side stories that are evne more secondary to the main plot); Metroids as a species are relevant but at the same time they are not. I think they all happen after the first Metroid game/Zero Mission and before Metroid II/Samus Returns, but I'm not completely sure about this.

Other M is a spin-off that tells the story of Adam, who's relevant in Fusion. It happens between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, with direct references to both games; it features several flashbacks which tell Samus' backstory.

The main story instead revolves around the Metroids more closely, and most games got a remake with additional parts of the story.

The easiest way to catch up is to play (in this order):

- Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) - remake of the very first Metroid game (NES) with a new part of the story at the end

- Metroid Samus Returns (3DS) - remake of Metroid II (GB)

- Super Metroid (SNES) - not remade yet, only version avaliable (but re-released on several more recent platforms)

- Metroid Fusion (GBA) - not remade yet, only version available

- Metroid Dread (Switch) - new

The 3DS version of Metroid II is obviously the best version, but I like the atmosphere of the GB version more... there are some different details, like the fact that in the 3DS version the structure of the planet is altered by some artificial Chozo gimmicks, while in the GB version the changes happen through earthquakes that seem totally natural, and it gives a more "unexplored wild alien world" feel. An alternative is to play AM2R, a fangame (fan remake of Metroid II) that got a C&D from Nintendo... it's on the same level of quality as the GBA games, and it stays more faithful with the atmosphere of the original GB game (but part of the lore in the game is made up by fans so it might be non canon).

• Thumbs Up 3

Alternatively, you could play AM2R which is much more faithful to Metroid 2 than Samus Returns is, but ofc you might want to play Samus Returns just get a general good grasp of the parry system and what MercurySteam's approach may be.

Personally I'm really excited for Dread, it seems like MercurySteam and Sakamoto learned some good lessons from Samus Returns, and I notice a lot of subtle improvements being made to improve the kinetic energy of the game. Stuff like the melee dash so that you're not constantly having to stop to kill trash mobs is a really nice touch. Not to mention its nice to actually be getting Metroid V.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am happy to see 5 come back. I hope they make mention of the baby again. i miss it :c. but also glad they are still working on prime 4 at least as well for a 3d game

While I am excited, part of me is a bit worried it won't have enough content to justify $60 dollars. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

On 6/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, PublicEnemy1 said:

While I am excited, part of me is a bit worried it won't have enough content to justify $60 dollars. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's a Metroid, so I'm sure it's a good 2-10 hours depending on your skill level, but I'm kinda weary of this sentiment just because it potentially precludes tightly crafted single-player experiences.