Awoo.

Would you take an Unleashed remaster if it was done like Colors Ult.?

KHCast

There’s been a lot of talk about how Colors Ultimate is looking to be a disappointment (which I agree with personally), and people have gotten to bringing up how they may feel relieved Unleashed dodged a bullet. Figured I’d make a topic to flesh out discussion on this hypothetical. Would you guys still be down for a Unleashed remaster done similarly to Colors Remastered, or would you rather it stay on 360/PS3? 

• Thumbs Up 1

No.

Thankfully, judging by the reaction Unleashed got on the summer of gaming stream we'll never have to worry about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they're willing to half-ass/put all the focus in the wrong places for remastering a game that was relatively well received (even if it brought a lot of bad habits to the franchise) like Colors, I REALLY don't like the idea of them trying to do the same for a game that had a polarizing reputation and only relatively recently became somewhat vindicated, especially a game that has a lot of sentimental value to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

No.

Thankfully, judging by the reaction Unleashed got on the summer of gaming stream we'll never have to worry about this.

Wait was it that bad? You’d have thought them showing the daytime sonic gameplay during that would have at least softened the blow 

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sega thought Sonic Colors's difficulty needed to be tuned down, lord knows what they would do to Unleashed. Granted, there are a lot of bullshit sucker punches all over that game and you can make a sound argument that stuff like the QTEs don't really add anything but a headache for less dexterous players, but I don't trust this team to be able to tell the difference between that and an intentional challenge. They'd do shit like remove the lethality from water running entirely even though it's one of the only meter management tests in the game and is pretty easy to deal with after the first couple times.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Wait was it that bad? You’d have thought them showing the daytime sonic gameplay during that would have at least softened the blow 

Let me put it this way: I was significantly demotivated in pushing for the 3D Sonic games to get released going by the reactions to that brief snippet of Unleashed in the chat/on twitter. Maybe people will warm up to it if they give it another chance like I did, but that's assuming they're even interested enough in buying the sonic werewolf game again to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't even been convinced to buy Colors Ult, and I like Colors more than Unleashed. If I ever do get the urge to replay Unleashed I can just go back to the original, rather than paying money for a slapdash port.

• Thumbs Up 2

Short answer, no. Blue really nailed it on the head but to add my small 2 cents, one of the things I love about Unleashed is its attention to detail. Going off of what's going on with Ultimate, a lot of that would be snuffed out. Not to mention the many other small changes for the worse that are likely to happen. Unleashed doesn't need a second go if that go is going to be worse than before.

That being said, I'll still be fighting for a port of the game. Though, admittedly, I'm now in the "how little do they need to touch the game itself to put it out there and just have modders pick up the slack" mode. Ultimate is simply making me loose trust that current Sega could actually go in and make the game anything other than worse. Though, get the base game up on Steam or something and we'd at least be able to up the res and reach 60fps (the only things I need honestly). From there we can work with the medals and everything.

Though, I do fully realize that it would probably put the game in a bad standing for those who don't know much about the modding scene and would simply be out of the question for console players in general but... idk man, I just want a 60fps Unleashed... why is that too much to ask for? lol

• Thumbs Up 6

Unleashed isn't nearly as good as Colors, but it was still a shame to see it getting dogged like that.

At the end of the day, I guess I don't really need an Unleashed ultimate. A lot of it's issues clear up once you've already beaten the game and the ones that don't, while it would be nice to see them fixed, I don't see actually being the main focus were they to actually make one.

I also don't wan't to risk seeing what I still consider to be the most beautiful looking Sonic game being "touched up" to look like complete ass.

I'd take an Ultimate version of any much older games though. Either of the two Adventures or Heroes. Those would demand more effort to work right from the get go. They might as well be full on remakes so I guess it's not quite the same thing.

I'd just prefer they re-release older games to newer consoles more often in general. A collection of all those Sonic handheld games I never played would be greatly appreciated but I doubt it's going to happen.

I think yes because We need the Werehog fourmula back and all those Hub Worlds and The Composers of Sonic Unleashed will be able to remix the Music for Unleashed's Remaster, and I think the release date is unknown, But SEGA might announce it soon in the Future.

Just now, Jango said:

Yes if @Blue Blood is the director. He's got everything that needs to be done. I'll fucking pay your plane to SEGA, I swear I will.

Thanks! I happen to think I'm a great armchair game director and idea man. If everyone just listened to my enlightened ideas and made games based on what I said with absolutely no technical or industry knowledge myself whatsoever, video gaming would truly be a better place for us all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know you're being ironic, but there's truth in what you said. It's obvious that it ain't easy for everyone to point these issues with the games, as we're seeing with Colors right now. What I meant is that we need someone who can do this, and then pass said issues to a team, those with the technical knowledge, to resolve it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think some of the ideas Colours Ultimate presents could be good in the right context, but Colours Ultimate isn't currently handling them in that context.

Like for example, I think the idea of Colours' soundtrack being remixed could actually work for an Unleashed soundtrack, but not as a full replacement. Instead - combining with the point @Blue Blood made about the Werehog battle music, I feel like they could remix the main song of the level into a battle theme that transitions in and out of regular combat/exploration, much like Kingdom Hearts II for example:

Non-Combat:

Combat:

Boss:

I feel like something like this for the Werehog would work wonders - keep the general theme and motif of each song, but ramping it up for when the player enters action and seamlessly transitioning them as the player goes in and out of fights, while also stopping the current Werehog music from being obscenely repetitive due to how frequently it appears, and how it appears in each and every single level, interrupting the level's actual theme. Along with making more combat encounters optional like Blue mentioned, it would do a better job of not making each combat sequence feel so utterly cookie-cutter.

The difficulty again is another example. I do think Unleashed could probably do with an optional easier mode that doesn't punish  players as heavily. The reason I say this is as J's Reviews said in his review, Unleashed has a much more harsher difficulty and learning curve. It's designed much more like an arcade-type experience where you need quick reactions, and memorisation in order to avoid insta-kill hazards and the like. There's parts where the devs cranked the dickhead level design up to 11 to the point they felt the need to add extra life tokens right next to each sequence to Game Overs wouldn't happen, which especially make Hot Dog Missions especially brutal and unfair.

I don't think the difficulty should be removed outright, because it's a unique element to Unleashed as a game, but I do think it would certainly tighten up it's gameplay and accessibility to have easier options such as no lives, or hell - even adding checkpoints to the Hot Dog Missions so it's based around simply beating the time/score constraints, instead of having to survive start to finish.

Beyond that, @Blue Blood more or less hit the nail on the head. 

• Thumbs Up 7

No, stop trying to take the game I liked and justify selling it back to me at a price greater than what it's really worth nowadays just because you added a bunch of shit nobody wanted or asked for. I wanted a port of the original game with a higher framerate and maybe a glitch fix here and there, that's it. 

The best I'll do is 'buy' the game if it's free for something like a PS plus monthly game giveaway or whatever, but even that I'm reluctant to do cause now that means I'm a +1 in Sega's databank. 

This is going to be a surprise coming from me, someone who argues there's no problem with Sonic being simplistic, but God no!

Colors Ultimate looks entirely too hand holdy. Like I know it's aimed younger but Colors is a game that was already pretty friggin easy so making it easier feels extremely pointless.

Graphically I think it looks fine but I don't know it's not like Colors needed to be made an easier game. 

Considering SEGA would probably outsource it to some third rate studio who only worked on random mobile games beforehand or some other nonsense... I gotta give a flat NO. I say everybody is better off with no port instead of any bad remaster port.

I’d much rather an Unleashed remake than a remaster a la Colors Ultimate.

Depending on how Colors Ultimate ACTUALLY turns out, some of the answers given here are liable to age poorly.

I think Unleashed is a good enough game aesthetically, and modern enough from a target development platform that's in the timezone of modern graphics, that it doesn't need to be dicked around and "remastered."  Just port the fucking thing to modern consoles/PC and charge $15 for it or whatever. The 360 version that has already been tweaked somewhat to run on the Xbone should be reasonably straightforward to just port without trying to ruin the graphics by having some nobody studio change them away from the original artistic intent into what they think looks better in the 2020s.

If Sega want to lie through their teeth and act like rereleasing a game using PC version graphic settings is enough to consider a game "remastered" like EA did with Hot Pursuit 3 a couple years ago, that's fine by me as long as they actually leave the game alone.

• Thumbs Up 3

If unleashed got the colors ultimate treatment, I would absolutely buy it.

Colors Ultimate changes some weirdly specific parts sure, but I don't see it as enough of a problem to think it's a bad port. I'm just glad to see sega showing love to older games again (that aren't the genesis era games).

I think unleashed could really benefit from being remastered, as well as running higher than 10 fps on most modern consoles. I doubt Sega would feel the need to touch it up graphically since unlike the Wii, Unleashed's home console a generation behind power wise. The game looks more than good enough to warrant a rerelease with little to no change graphically, something that I personally believe Colors would not have had as easy of a time doing.

Regardless of what happens, I'm just excited at the idea of sega reaching into the sonic catalog to bring out games that aren't as easy to play nowadays (not everyone has a wii or especially a wii u laying around nowadays). I hope Colors leads to Unleashed, Generations, and maybe even Lost World remasters/rereleases.