Awoo.

Sonic X Minecraft Collab

VO.SUPER

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/sonic-hedgehog-dlc-here

What a relief! I never have to make up an excuse for not voluntarily jogging, because now I have an infinite 3D runner at my fingertips. I can get all the need for speed my system craves in the different acts and procedurally generated locations instead. Boring forest trail? Tired beach route? Pass! I’ll stick to the Green Hills Zone and Chemical Plant Zone, thank you very much.

Look, before we go any further, let me address the elephant in the room. Yes, there are rings to collect. They are the blockiest rings you have ever laid your eyes on and I love them. I’m not saying there was anything wrong with the original rings, but these right angles just feel right. The rings aren’t the only thing that Sonic brought with him, there are also plenty of obstacles to dash past, bosses to defeat, and momentum to build as you run towards a high score.

Sonic isn’t only known for his speed or spikes, but also as a generous celebrator of birthdays. He doesn’t expect gifts on his special day, he hands out his own! That’s classy. Get your hands on a Character Creator item, available for free in the Minecraft Marketplace.

You can also celebrate Sonic’s birthday by joining the special server event! Starting soon, The Hive are hosting a two-week server-hub takeover featuring mini-games and a few festive surprises. I heard a rumor that something special is happening on one of the weekends, so make sure to check in regularly! Keep an eye on @minecraft on Twitter for details! 

Hurry up and get the Sonic the Hedgehog DLC so I can meet you at the finish line! Go on, I’ll be there as soon as I catch my breath. 

Spoiler

Sonic_MarketingScreenshot_3.jpgSonic_MarketingScreenshot_2.jpgSonic_MarketingScreenshot_1.jpgSonic_MarketingScreenshot_0.jpg

Honestly surprised by the effort into this collab. I thought it'd be just some skins and all, but this is way more effort than I gave SEGA and Mojang credit for when it comes to a collab. Sonic's model actually looks good.

Playable Tails Knux Amy and Shadz. 

Everyone seems to get this except Sega.

Lol

• Thumbs Up 5

That video was definitely amazing! Whether or not Sonic Team's upcoming 2022 game will have multiple characters or just Sonic playable, this Minecraft DLC seems to not make that part matter to me anymore when more information for Sonic 2022 eventually comes. I'm looking forward to playing as Amy and Tails in Minecraft!

Wow, I was already joking 2021 seems to be a repeat of 2016 in terms of Sonic content, enter our surprise Lego Dimensions parralel of the year.

Looks cool, love the Tails garage interior.

Less excited to see the same Modern Sonic esque level design including 2d sections, not to mention getting the Generations trio of Green Hill Zone, Chemical plant and Sky Sactuari for the bazillionth time.
Pfft, remember Aaron Webber telling us not to expect Green Hill Zone soon? It has already returned twice since that statement, should have known even promises about improvements are a meme.

Still, will try this out, it looks great.
I get a kick out of Sonic with retro looking 3d graphics.

• Thumbs Up 3

Interestingly for skins they have a Infinite skin but not a Zavok skin. I approve of this also that Metal Knuckles.

image.png.9baff64b582690e13a29021a155e9c15.png

• Thumbs Up 1

There are 24 skins

- The "must have 16" AKA Sonic Heroes + Silver & Blaze (includes Eggman and Metal Sonic)

- Mighty and Ray, Mecha Sonic, Metal Knuckles, Gamma, Chaos, Werehog and Infinite

I can't believe it comes from my throat, but I wish they could squeeze Zavok. Maybe give up Mecha Sonic or even Gamma.

But overall my feelings are similar to Lego Dimension.

"Neat. I will take hour or two to stare at it in youtube and then pretty much forget about it."

Looking cool can only keep my attention for so long.

Someone on Sonic retro pointed out that this version of Ray seems to take some extra cues from his Archie design. 

image.png.7b361057f728035bf4918f947f408600.png

image.png.a587f0579dbdd3d2bc04ce960c0a8a82.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Someone on Sonic retro pointed out that this version of Ray seems to take some extra cues from his Archie design. 

My guess is that the people working on the DLC used the Archie art as a reference without realizing that the Archie and Mania versions were somewhat different things. Sort of like Bioware using Archie for inspiration for Chronicles without realizing Sega didn't own the rights to certain things.

Hopefully Penders doesn't claim he somehow owns blue-cuff Ray. 😛

• Thumbs Up 2

When I saw the announcement video for this show up in my Youtube feed, initially I rolled my eyes thinking it was just going to be literally Sonic in Minecraft and that was it. Then I saw him running and was like "Oh, actual stages okay. I bet it's still just him though." Then Knuckles shows up and I'm like "Holy shit. Tails and Knuckles are in this!" because Knuckles being there has to mean Tails is according to my brain. Then I saw Shadow and Amy and then I saw the interior of Tails' garage and went "Holy shit! That's not even in any of the ACTUAL Sonic games anymore!"

Now all these skins are here and it's like... fuck man. It's like everything that isn't the main series is getting all the shit I want the main series to get. 

It's a little funny honestly. I'm more giddy at the irony rather than upset. This looks really cool. I may have a reason to finally play Minecraft now. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm seeing lots of reports that this is bloody awful to actually play and the Switch version is borderline unplayable due to to all the bugs and glitches.

Is this accurate?

1 hour ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

I'm seeing lots of reports that this is bloody awful to actually play and the Switch version is borderline unplayable due to to all the bugs and glitches.

Is this accurate?

The loops in the switch version are bugged, and the draw distance can kill you when going too fast. (The point of this expansion. )

Those are the most glaring areas I see. Otherwise it works as intended. 

The Switch version of MC has always been shaky and Mojang always seems to break it more. 

2 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Is this accurate?

I'm playing on Series X and having a blast. A love letter to Sonic in Minecraft form. It is still a Minecraft mod, so the controls are a little fiddly (and it doesn't feel like Sonic) but it's a great fun! Awesome to see so many characters from the series history represented here. As Sonic in Minecraft, its better than I ever imagined it would be.

17 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Playable Tails Knux Amy and Shadz. 

Everyone seems to get this except Sega.

Lol

I think a lot of it is  fear of "shitty friends" review bombing, still living that mid-2000s talking point in the 2020s. Like, it got drilled into their heads.

That or just not knowing how to get their gameplay right. They seemed to went back to boosting for Sonic in Forces after Lost World flopped, seeing it as something that "worked."

Problem is, besides Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Blaze, boosting wouldn't really work for anyone else. And they look kinda petrified to leave something that works. 

I believe their thought process is: Add anybody else? Boosting wouldn't fit them. If no boost, game could be seen as bad. Better to just have Sonic and his cheerleaders.

I disagree, but whatever. I personally stopped caring much about this series between Boom and Forces. I mean, I was interested in Forces uuuppp until Infinite was revealed, then just completely checked out.

Idk this looks pretty bad to me, as far as the actual content goes.

I think if you can reuse the blocks in normal Mincraft gameplay, then it has some value, but if it's just the character skins and the stages you get, they're pretty crappy imo.

The stages would fit in Forces just fine.

16 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I think if you can reuse the blocks in normal Mincraft gameplay,

I'm not one to feed the Minecart e-store, so I'm not entirely sure, but isn't this how most of these packs work?

Buy pack, can use the skins in normal Minecraft, can play on the special stages, and get block reskinning from said stage? Maybe mob reskinning too.

Could see chemical plant being a replacement for some of the Nether. Make Motobugs chicken.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of these packs are pretty self contained depending on the more advanced scripting they are. I'm pretty sure the Pac-Man pack has a lot of features exclusive only to that pack. 

These things are largely meant to be novelties. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Most of these packs are pretty self contained depending on the more advanced scripting they are. I'm pretty sure the Pac-Man pack has a lot of features exclusive only to that pack. 

These things are largely meant to be novelties. 

So, basically I was talking out of my ass. Fair enough.

My bad. 

Just now, Wittymations said:

So, basically I was talking out of my ass. Fair enough.

From what I've heard, the skins are available out of the pack. I just don't know how the rest of the stuff works. 

Definitely not the loops, but im sure someone with the pack would know more. 

Wait, do you have to actually buy the shitty microtransactions to access this? So it’s not actually “free?” Lol

I’m reading you actually have to spend $10 in their shop for this shit (or pay for individual stuff) 

there’s something especially scummy about a kids game, one with an upfront cost, that’s being marketed towards children, retroactively adding in a mtx store and trying to downplay stuff like this being behind that by being very  technical and legal with your use of “free”.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Wait, do you have to actually buy the shitty microtransactions to access this? So it’s not actually “free?” Lol

Nobody ever said it was free. There is one thing that is free, a Sonic shirt in the Character Creator.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want it but I'd rather play it on Switch than PC, and apparently the Switch version DLC is very unpolished or something like that, my usual luck...

I think this might be the first time Eggman's first name "Ivo" was actually used in-game (as opposed to just in a manual, or in the cartoons/comics), so that's pretty exciting.

image.png.dae2bf2836581d43bf6db239adcaea1f.png

Anyway, messing around as Eggman in Minecraft is pretty fun. I can't actually play as him in the Sonic world proper, since it's limited to Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Shadow. So I did the next best thing and took the Doc to the Mushroom Kingdom.

image.png.aacd74e20770f42f9a0e687f7936e727.png

It's been a fun time.

The Sonic world itself is pretty neat too. It's like... they made Sonic platforming levels in a modified Minecraft engine. So the controls definitely take a little getting used to. You can spindash, jump a bit higher than usual, and defeat enemies by jumping or rolling into them. 

It's fun, and the presentation is honestly really nice. 

I do wish there was a "free mode" where you could just play the levels as any character though.