Awoo.

Sonic Characters Who Deserve Their Own Spinoffs

Splash the Otter

The cast of the Sonic series is large and varied, but for some reason almost all of the games are about Sonic. In this I'll talk about other characters who deserve games about themselves.

Number 1: Tails
I know what you're thinking: doesn't Tails already have a couple of games? That is true, but I think he deserves another. Not only is Tails Adventure one of my favorite Sonic games, but the kid has been horribly mischaracterized in recent years, with Sonic Forces depicting him as a coward who can't fight for himself. A spinoff would help to remind people of what Tails is really like!

Number 2: Silver
Silver appears in a number of Sonic games, usually having traveled to the present day to solve a problem in his time period. Unfortunately the series has declined to show us the world of tomorrow, which opens up several questions. What will the world be like in 200 years? What kind of friends does Silver have? All this and more could be answered in a spinoff title.
I should also note that Silver was originally intended to star in his own game, but due to Sonic Next Gen's underperformance the idea was shelved. I think after 15 years it's time they revived it.

Number 3: Knuckles, Rouge, Fang and Jet
All four of these characters are treasure hunters. Imagine a game where they compete to find some legendary artifact! I picture it being similar to Sonic Rush, where each of them has their own campaign but in the end they team up to stop the bad guy. It practically writes itself! Why doesn't this game exist yet?

Number 4: The Avatar
At the end of Sonic Forces, the Avatar leaves in search of new adventures. I can't be the only one who wants to see their story continued. I imagine a spinoff about them being similar to The Elder Scrolls, but as a platformer/action adventure game instead of an RPG. Not only could a game like this flesh out the world Sonic and his friends live in, it could also expand on Forces' character creation system. At the very least it should add skunks, foxes and mustelids as playable species.

So what do you think of my ideas? Are there any other Sonic characters you believe deserve their own spinoff games? Be sure to let me know!

• Thumbs Up 2

Ahem.

Attention Mega Man fan game guys! If you're looking for any unsolicited ideas:

1860002538_BunnieRabbotFlight.png.be0f07aa15f0121992f1441e908238fa.png

She has a hand cannon, and I would very much like to play as her in a Mega Man knock-off like yesterday. Please and thank you. ^^;

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Rouge in a Tomb Raider/Uncharted style spinoff.

That’s actually an awesome idea and concept! :) 

I’d like to see a Silver The Hedgehog Spinoff, perhaps something akin to Dr. Mario? 

6 hours ago, Cuz said:

Ahem.

She has a hand cannon, and I would very much like to play as her in a Mega Man knock-off like yesterday. Please and thank you. ^^;

Give her a laser sword (no, I don’t care if she never had one) and shield, and you’ve got a deal!

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Give her a laser sword (no, I don’t care if she never had one) and shield, and you’ve got a deal!

I’d preorder that game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver needs one. Tails needs one. Knuckles needs one. Amy needs one. I think these are the most important. And I think they have some promising gameplay to experiment with too.

You were a bit too focused on narrative, so here's my gameplay ideas:

Silver: Ever played Half-Life? Yeah. No weapons though, you have to rely completely on telekinesis to platform and fight enemies. It would make for an interesting and engaging game I think. And could be incredible in VR.

Tails, Knuckles: They can fly and glide respectively. Just give them a 3d collectathon. Print money. Tails' flight might be more engaging if he controlled like a real helicopter maybe? I dont know, just spitballing.

Amy: A 3d platformer where she uses hammer abilities for platforming, like her hammer jump in Sonic Adventure (which is incredibly satisfying.) Along with that move, she could glide down by spinning her hammer midair. You can learn more moves along the way. Also would be cool to potentially see Super Amy. I know that's against SEGA's vision at the moment, but screw that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh hey, it's Splash!

Let's see, I do think it's high time Amy and Eggman got one. Blaze and Marine could use a revival spinoff as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

1074792348_MechaMadness01.jpg.d64f5df7671a8ea2f182a3e862581490.jpg

She has one those those things. 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails, please. Even got a plan for it all laid out:

Let's suppose that Sony's Insomniac Games somehow nabs a Sonic license from Sega, with the presumption that the finished product releases on PlayStation 5 and PC through Steam/Epic. (I know this would never happen, but bear with me here.) A perfect Miles Prower would combine the open-world and traversal of Spider-Man PS4 and the weapons system of the new Ratchet & Clank into a massive free-roaming adventure set in the United Federation of, well, Sonic Adventure. (Yes, this means Station Square is back; it is now based off of both Boston and Tokyo to set it apart from Sony's own Spider-Man series.)

As with most of Insomniac's work, the plot isn't that hard to comprehend. After a massive falling out between the two brothers, Sonic goes it alone on his next mission and pays for it with his life... or so it seems. With Eggman reviving him as a cocky, calculating, and unpredictable weapon of mass destruction, its up to Miles to step up to the plate and lead his friends to find the Chaos Emeralds and prevent Sonic from destroying the world. Simple enough to explain for seven-year olds, but still deep enough to be plenty compelling.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd buy that Sonic game in a heartbeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

1074792348_MechaMadness01.jpg.d64f5df7671a8ea2f182a3e862581490.jpg

She has one those those things. 😛

Now all she needs is the ability to throw it and we’re a step closer to having Megaman Zero: Bunnie Rabbot edition!

• Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Now all she needs is the ability to throw it and we’re a step closer to having Megaman Zero: Bunnie Rabbot edition!

Oh SEGA please make it happen! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a character spinoff from the perspective of one of Eggman's robots/henchmen. Metal Sonic could be neat, if they were to pose it as Metal Sonic causing chaos in select areas in hopes of getting Sonic's attention. Even though it was brief, I really enjoyed Gamma's story in SA1 for this reason. It's nice to see what Eggman does during the day when he isn't in a boss battle with Sonic (in SA1's case, sending robots on missions and testing their capabilities).

Hell, maybe even Infinite could be fun. Since we know Infinite is likely still alive after the events of Forces, why not make a game where Infinite is searching the world for more power (maybe use this as a good time to bring back the time stones from little planet) or continue Infinite's bloodlust for Shadow. Ditch his mask as a way of showing his resentment of Eggman for not letting him kill Sonic when he clearly had the chance too. A "If you want something done right you have to do it yourself" sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

I'd like to see a character spinoff from the perspective of one of Eggman's robots/henchmen. Metal Sonic could be neat, if they were to pose it as Metal Sonic causing chaos in select areas in hopes of getting Sonic's attention. Even though it was brief, I really enjoyed Gamma's story in SA1 for this reason. It's nice to see what Eggman does during the day when he isn't in a boss battle with Sonic (in SA1's case, sending robots on missions and testing their capabilities).

Hell, maybe even Infinite could be fun. Since we know Infinite is likely still alive after the events of Forces, why not make a game where Infinite is searching the world for more power (maybe use this as a good time to bring back the time stones from little planet) or continue Infinite's bloodlust for Shadow. Ditch his mask as a way of showing his resentment of Eggman for not letting him kill Sonic when he clearly had the chance too. A "If you want something done right you have to do it yourself" sort of thing.

id rather see that as part of an SA-esque game instead (of course, Sonic & Tails fighting a new Villain, Knuckles trying to reclaim the Master Emerald wich was stolen by a new villain, Amy stanning on Sonic because of something relating to her tarot cards, Infinite trying to get revenge on Shadow and Metal bassicly doing Eggman's bidding involving the new villain, not long before joining infinite, with maybe both Eggmans trying to fight against something for their own selfish wills kinda like in the Metarex Arc)

as for character spinoffs? i don't have any ideas tbh. maybe Silver or Blaze but id rather get a Sonic Rush 3 for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, Cuz said:

Ahem.

Its funny how SEGA prioritized Sally for a game once upon a time, when Bunnie probably would have faired better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean at the same time I get it. I don't expect an actual triple A developer like Sega to be like "let's straight up rip off megaman" verbatim, but the modding community? Come on get on it! xD

If everyone in Touhou can star in a run and gun? Why not? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rouge = Mix Sly Cooper’s overall gameplay and varied antagonists and some bits of Tomb Raider like the level design and stealing-based missions well, and add lots of fun spice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy, Amy, AMY

This girl has been part of the franchise for as long as Tails (if not longer if we count the manga series/CD's development preceding Sonic 2's), and while starting off as a mere support character, Adventure and onwards elevated Amy into more of a main character, with Adventure-to-Heroes giving Amy her own arc that made her into a capable hero with her own sidekick in the form of Cream. And IIRC, SEGA recently stated an intent to market Amy more as the "girl rep" for Sonic. She is long overdue for her own damn game. 

And it's not like there's nothing you can do with Amy: the story can be as simple as Amy going on an adventure alongside Cream, maybe continuing that little arc of hers that got discontinued after Heroes? And for gameplay, top choices for me personally are a platform heavy 3D Collect-a-thon (think the first Banjo-Kazooie and Spyro game), Puzzle Platformer, or even a type of RPG. 

EDIT- Actually... Amy's game ought to be an RPG style game. Cause if Cream is to be important to the game, and y'all know I'd want her to be, then her being the "Support" to Amy's "Combat" would help out a lot. Better yet, if Sticks or Big can be included, we'd get a Fighter, Thief, and Cleric out of the three lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Shadow the Hedgehog. I know he has his own game already but he really needs his own series where he is separated from Sonic.  I would rather Maekawa write the character where he continues his character arc from 06. I would like it to be similar in spirit to the Mega Man Zero games, Metal Gear Rising and Wario series.  A man can dream....

• Thumbs Up 1