Awoo.

The Classic/Modern Character Embargo

Dr. Mechano

16 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

60 levels?

I guess... if you really stretch the definition of "level," you could get 60 by taking the...

• Number of zones: 7
  • Multiply that by 2 for each zone's first and second acts (boss acts will be handled separately for reasons I'll explain). So 7 x 2 = 14 so far.
  • Multiply those 14 by the 4 possible time periods in each stage (past, present, good future, and bad future). 14 x 4 = 56
  • Now take the 7 Act 3 stages for each zone and multiply that by 2 for the good and bad future variant of each (boss stages don't have past or present variations which is why they're handled separately); 7*2 = 14
  • Add the 14 possible boss stages to the 56 possible stage acts: 56+14 = 70 stages, I guess. 

Still somewhat misleading advertising.

They appear to have arrived at the figure of 63 levels by multiplying seven zones of three acts each by three time periods...  As you point out, this actually undershoots the true figure of 70 level( layout)s by forgetting that there are two iterations of each future (though boss acts have only futures).  I agree that the level count is overegging the pudding regardless, but they do explain their logic, and broadly speaking it's not wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Salamander said:

They appear to have arrived at the figure of 63 levels by multiplying seven zones of three acts each by three time periods...  As you point out, this actually undershoots the true figure of 70 level( layout)s by forgetting that there are two iterations of each future (though boss acts have only futures).  I agree that the level count is overegging the pudding regardless, but they do explain their logic, and broadly speaking it's not wrong.

Yeah. It's "literally true but still misleading," which I guess is marketing hype 101.

Though yeah, I didn't notice the small-print explanation of their reasoning until you pointed it out. 

I mean it would be stellar marketing in the 90s much like “x hours of content” is used for games today...