Awoo.

User Group Banners

Cake

Hey SSMB! Cake here with another question/psuedo-suggestion to drop off. This time, the topic of discussion is User Group Banners...

members.jpg

ssmb-staff.jpg

tss-staff.jpg

pellyheckya.jpg

admin.jpg

banned.jpg

Ever the familiar sight, the User Group Banners serve an important function here on the forums, helping members to easily differentiate between themselves, moderators, staffers, admins and Pellies (plural?). They've outlasted all other ideas and implementations, from Rings and Badges, to Profile Midis (something I'd LOVE to see again) and Smash Cards.

Now, as the SSMB continues to change and grow, the skins do so as well. Why, only recently did we recieve Oil 'n Rum. The User Group Banners... well, they've been around for a while now, and I think it'd be nice to see some fresh designs, or if it can be implemented, Banners specific to each skin. Is that possible on IPB?

Summer on the SSMB tend to be a fun and exciting time of the year with the Pokemon Week, Power Ranger Week, and Twin Tag events all going on, and given their successes, it's clear that the SSMB community loves it some community activities. Perhaps there's some way we can implement a "User Group Banner Design Contest"? Of course, I'm just throwing ideas around here, anyone who has any better suggestions or simply wants to say "You're being silly, the banners are fine, Cake" can do that too. XP

• Thumbs Up 3

or if it can be implemented, Banners specific to each skin. Is that possible on IPB?

It is possible and it's a good idea since the banners can sometimes not look good on some skins.

Edited by SOTI

Didn't Dread use to have a 'Founder' one? I think it was yellow. That looked pretty sweet.

Also Vi had one when she frequented here. It looked kinda like Pelly's if I recall correctly.

I've always found it weird how one female staff member always gets their own specific banner, usually in purple. I think it's a bit sexist personally, and I think T-Bird should have his own banner, as he is basically the TSS mascot. It could say 'Hat' or something on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ever the familiar sight, the User Group Banners serve an important function here on the forums, helping members to easily differentiate between themselves, moderators, staffers, admins and Pellies (plural?). They've outlasted all other ideas and implementations, from Rings and Badges, to Profile Midis (something I'd LOVE to see again) and Smash Cards.

The main intention with the banners when they were created was to make a set of icons that would be both informative and easily identifiable. At that time, we opted to not have the user group information in the post details area (where your avatar, location, group, and such are displayed) to better regulate and simplify the layout. Since then, we've had a few changes of heart and direction (and forum software).

You may see the return of some of the mentioned ideas, but I can confirm that the profile midis will not be returning. Technical limitations are a major reason for this, but many users also find it annoying to open a page and suddenly hear music blasting from their headphones - myself included.

Now, as the SSMB continues to change and grow, the skins do so as well. Why, only recently did we recieve Oil 'n Rum. The User Group Banners... well, they've been around for a while now, and I think it'd be nice to see some fresh designs, or if it can be implemented, Banners specific to each skin. Is that possible on IPB?

It's possible, but time and technical restrictions are a major issue right now for us. Perhaps in the future it can be a reality.

Summer on the SSMB tend to be a fun and exciting time of the year with the Pokemon Week, Power Ranger Week, and Twin Tag events all going on, and given their successes, it's clear that the SSMB community loves it some community activities. Perhaps there's some way we can implement a "User Group Banner Design Contest"? Of course, I'm just throwing ideas around here, anyone who has any better suggestions or simply wants to say "You're being silly, the banners are fine, Cake" can do that too. XP

It's possible but we also had quite a few events planned for this summer that were dropped on the cutting room floor, once again due to time restrictions. You may also have noticed a few weeks this summer whereas we had no event scheduled, which was the result of these drops.

Didn't Dread use to have a 'Founder' one? I think it was yellow. That looked pretty sweet.

Yes.

Also Vi had one when she frequented here. It looked kinda like Pelly's if I recall correctly.

That was the idea.

I've always found it weird how one female staff member always gets their own specific banner, usually in purple. I think it's a bit sexist personally

If I had a nickel for every time I heard the word 'sexist' directed at our SSMB staff..

While trying to not be intentionally blunt here, I'd rather this topic didn't negate to a discussion about Pelly's user group. The circumstances for this were never mentioned outside of myself and a specific few and I wish to keep it that way; but her group is not permanent, and was the result of a request and me keeping promises.

I think T-Bird should have his own banner, as he is basically the TSS mascot. It could say 'Hat' or something on it.

Yes, because creating another user group so I receive more complaints to my inbox will certainly resolve the issue. Hum, hum. :\

I blame myself for trying to have a little fun. Why am I so obviously sexist with my actions?

• Thumbs Up 2

I blame myself for trying to have a little fun. Why am I so obviously sexist with my actions?

Don't take it seriously man. I was but joking. I don't really care if Pelly has her own banner XP It IS fun.

I have my own banner over at Sonic Wrecks X3 I'd love to have one here, but the forum staff banner already IS a Tails banner XD;;

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

but the forum staff banner already IS a Tails banner XD;;

I envy you. It would be cool to have a few you could choose from though.

Well, I can quite easily dissuade any sexist accusations. Back when I was an SSMB staffer and everyone thought I was a girl, I didn't have a special banner. Game set and match XD

• Thumbs Up 2

everyone thought I was a girl, I didn't have a special banner.

YOU'RE NOT?! *GASP*

Back to the subject at hand. I agree with the different colored banners coinciding with type of skin their on. I'm pretty sure someone on the forums can make some up and then suggest some preliminary ones which we can vote on or something to that extent.

Back when I was an SSMB staffer and everyone thought I was a girl, I didn't have a special banner. Game set and match XD
You never asked!

Didnt we have SSR DJ banners at one point? :D

Yep! I'd have posted the missing user banners if I had em, but needless to say, I never really thought "Hey, I have to save these!" y'know? XP

Gumball Brigade usergroup, please *SHOT*

I don't really see anything wrong with the way the usergroups are right now. I mean, I'd like something different, but I'm not really complaining.

The only problem I have is that Dread doesn't have his own sexy "Founder" user group anymore. D=

I think it's a bit sexist personally
If Chris were being sexist, you'd think I'd be the one to get one lol. It was a definite thank you for Pelly being a really good friend <=3

Virgo: I always thought the same thing. Oh well.

If the banners fucked up the design, I'd be for it, but really - I'd rather they put their time in skins. Just my personal opinion ~

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...

The only problem I have is that Dread doesn't have his own sexy "Founder" user group anymore. D=

This. That Founder banner alone increased the size of Dread's e-penis by 71%. It needs to come back.

Dred abandoned the Founder user group because only the Root Admin group has full privs on the forum, and he found himself needing to do the odd thing that he didn't have the privs for. In the end it was a bit too much hassle for a fancy banner.

Yeah I liked those SS:R banners, to be honest, I was looking for them yesterday, because basically I saw that all the DJ's showed up as staff and I was like, wat. I remember the whole SS:R banner escapade back in the day, All the DJ's including myself created half assed shitty attempts at trying to make a banner suitable enough and then out of NOWHERE CHRIS BLESSED US with a banner that was 100x better than all of ours, created in like 1/10th of the time. XD

Fun days, fun days!

But yeah, in terms of the topic at hand, I think everything's cool as it is now. Maybe it's getting a little stale, but I have no problem with stale, if it ain't broken, don't fuck with it. That's my motto.

-Iceman

Edited by Iceman

It would perhaps make things more fun to have more usergroups, particularly special ones that people can earn. It's something to chat about, we'll see what can be planned once a couple of things have been sorted on our end with other matters.

• Thumbs Up 2

It would perhaps make things more fun to have more usergroups, particularly special ones that people can earn. It's something to chat about, we'll see what can be planned once a couple of things have been sorted on our end with other matters.

Ones like Honorable Member? I love a usergroup like that one, because that is the group you respect the most.

:\ Aww, come on... it shouldn't be about which group you 'respect the most'. I don't like the idea of an 'honourable member' group because I think that all members are equal (staff included!) when it comes to inherent value. I'm all for mixing things up by having fun groups that can be won or earned or chosen, but I don't think that hierarchy based tiers are a good idea at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

:\ Aww, come on... it shouldn't be about which group you 'respect the most'. I don't like the idea of an 'honourable member' group because I think that all members are equal (staff included!) when it comes to inherent value. I'm all for mixing things up by having fun groups that can be won or earned or chosen, but I don't think that hierarchy based tiers are a good idea at all.

No, I mean for like the best advice. For Example, Casanova is a honorable member because he gives really good advice.

No, because that still treats people differently. Who should dictate that Cas gets special treatment over anyone else? Retro has 'Oldbies' and 'Tech Members'. Oldbies is a pretty unfair because you're getting special treatment for having been around longer. Tech Member is not so because it's reward for contributing towards all the sort of stuff that Retro is about. Of course though, that wouldn't work here. Usergroup upgrades should be earned, not just given.

(...nothing against you Cas)

Edited by Blue Blood