Awoo.

Super Transformation Topic

Daisoku

I was playing Chronicles the other day, and completed it again, when a thought struck me. 'Why isn't there a super form topic on the =SSMB=?'

So, which one do you think is best/worst/most Climatic/anti-climatic, and why?

What's your favorite form and why? It doesn't have to be by the emeralds. It can be any powered up form that can be classed as 'super'.

IMO, my favorite is actually the SatBK one. It had such a feeling to it... Like you felt a sense of um... something swelling up inside you and you feel rather happy. ^^'

It's probably because Caliburn lives again. C:

My least favorite, and probably most Anti-climatic is the Chronicles transformation. There's not even 'epic' music in the background. It's just like this.

Sonic jumps up and becomes super.

That's it.

Your thoughts?

(watches the topic slowly and surely die and/or locked by admins)

Hmm, cool question there. Never really thought about the transformations much. But I guess SA was quite epic, with the random voices cheering in the background, even though you couldn't see them :P

But my real favourite has to be the Sonic 06. Elise kissing him is kinda lame but when he transforms it's all shiny and golden and CG'y and cool :3

And I think I agree that the Sonic Chronicles one is pretty poor. There is not really much attempt to make it look special. But all the scenes later on in Chronicles are pretty badly drawn and designed so it's to be expected really.

I really liked the transformations at the end of the Rush games. They show the emeralds spinning around Sonic and Blaze in the darkness, then the characters are shown engulfed in energy as their transformation completes and the camera centers in on them.

SA1 had the potential to have the most awesome Super transformation, but it turned out horribly weak- Sonic stood there awkwardly then it was Super Sonic stood there awkwardly. Lame

SA2 was terrible. Sonic and Shadow were umm, masturbating, came, then just changed. Pathetic but totally hawt.

Heroes was really cool, unlike Knuckles and Tails sort of just got glowy bubbles.

Shadow wasn't bad, but he looked really slimey. Literally like he was covered in yellow slime. The music was a nice nod to SA2 though.

06 I didn't care for. First off because Sonic and Elise knew each for what, 3 days? Why not Amy? And because well, it was awfully cheesey.

Unleashed managed to convey the warm feeling that both SA1 and 06 had tried to convey. Not only that, but it was so cool to see hi draw the Emeralds from a distance.

Sonic 2 and 3 go without saying as decent enough, but without substance. I mean, Super tranformatio then was just a bonus.

Advance 2 deserves credit for making Sonic seem badass. He just starts hovering then BOOM! He changes!

Rush was a little plain, but better than Rush Adventure because of the better music.

I've always been a fan of Darkspine. It was the first new transformation since Hyper, breaking the near-constant run of Super Sonic final bosses, but it's also got some reason to stick around. If Super Sonic is what results from positive emotions (which become positive power through the Chaos Emeralds) then Darkspine is what comes from negative emotions (turned into negative power by the World Rings). Even if the World Rings don't show up again, they can still work Darkspine in as a result of the Chaos Emeralds, since the two sets are functionally very similar. I also like that they managed to make a "dark" form without making him evil or having him "go too far"; he's angrier and more physically violent, but he's still Sonic, just a harsher side of him.

The best transformations out of the games were the originals, because you did them yourself. Mid-jump you hit the button and it does that *WROW* noise, that was awesome. I think Chronicles was an attempt to look like that mid-air transformation, but since it was stop motion it just looked ridiculous. Those stop motion cutscenes were terrible. I guess my favorite in a cutscene would be the SA2 one, where Sonic and Shadow have the emeralds swirling around them. Swirling stuff is cool, they did it again with Blaze and Sonic in Rush. I don't remember too many others. Darkspine Sonic was crazy for me the first time I saw him though, since I wasn't expecting a new transformation, or any transformation. He's got a pretty sleek look to him, I like the purple for a negative Sonic.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

My personal favorite is SaTBK's transformation. It was the most cinematic transformation I've seen, and unlike the others it isn't just "transform, OK MOVING ON!", it just has a really epic feel to it with both

the armor materializing onto Sonic

and the fact it has the best music for a transformation scene just makes it perfect.

Not to mention the way Caliburn re materializes and transforms himself (in an epic hadouken/kamehameha blast no less) was just the golden icing on the cake.

My least favorite has got to be Chronicles. The build up and the actual scene are just really tacky.

"Oh no! The Big Bad is super powerful now, it's hopeless!"

"Oh, looks like it's transform time. *transforms* time to battle."

Honorable mention goes to SA1's for the sole fact that Sonic holds all the emeralds in his hands, you don't get to see the emeralds get restored or anything, just a flash of light and boom ohhaisupersonic. C'mon, lame.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

I also like that they managed to make a "dark" form without making him evil or having him "go too far"; he's angrier and more physically violent, but he's still Sonic, just a harsher side of him.

So, basically a less odd looking version of the Werehog. I like it.^_^

I have to agree with a good few of the people already here. Excalibur Sonic takes the honors. There was really a special detail paid to his ascension and it was coming at a time where you felt the desperation and urgency of the situation. Sonic took it up a notch at just the right time.

It also helps that the following boss battle was one of the few redeeming factors in the entire game.

Chronicles puts up the low spot, for being a complete joke. I'll also dish out an Honorable Mention to the Rush series whom for the most part handles Super intro's quite well.

I'd say my favorites are Sonic and the Secret Rings' Darkspine Sonic and Black Knight's Excalibur-Sonic. Darkspine Sonic looked a little odd to me originally, but I've grown to like his design. It's was also really nice for Sonic to beat up the main baddie with his fists and feet instead of 'lol headbutt'. It's part of the reason so many Super form battles are terribly uninteresting.

Excalibur-Sonic was the same way. After you got over 'WTF Sonic with a sword' (if you ever did) then Excalibur-Sonic was a pretty awesome Super form when you really looked at it. Not to mention the battle was really fun.

Edited by Chooch

Best transformation scenes were in Sonic & The Secret Rings, Sonic & The Black Knight, and Sonic Rush. Honorable mentions go to Sonic Adventure and 2006.

Let's see... I'll just list em all.

Sonic Adventure: Pretty cool with the cheering and such. A decent effort, although he looks like crap on Sonic Adventure DX. He barely even glows.

Sonic Adventure 2: My first modern Sonic game, so it was still a plot twist at this point for me. Was friggin' awesome.

Sonic Heroes: Pretty cool, but the cut-scene felt kinda rushed.

Shadow The Hedgehog: Music was awesome, but felt a bit silly mainly thanks to Black Doom. His transformation wasn't even shown and he spent too long reciting from his favourite book "100 ways to tell your enemy that you plan to kill them."

Sonic 2006: Like most 2006 cut-scenes, would have been awesome if built up more effectively with the story previously.

Sonic Unleashed: Yeah pretty awesome, though of course, totally "oh wait, he's still alive. FIIIINE I'll turn into Super Sonic".

And for the 2D games...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Is there a cut-scene that only plays the first time that I've forgotten? Because the emerald clearly falls down in front of Sonic after the final boss, and then suddenly Eggman has it again and it's The Doomsday Zone. Still, pretty cool since it was the first time and all.

Sonic Pocket Adventure: Never played. Seemed standard.

Sonic Advance: Kinda random, I liked the cute ending of everyone looking at the night sky after though.

Sonic Advance 2: Pretty darn epic. I liked it.

Sonic Advance 3: More humourous than epic what with Eggman being beaten up and then being all "grr get back here Sonic I'll help".

Sonic Rush: Pretty cool, though way too much chatting beforehand.

Sonic Rush Adventure: Pretty much the same as Rush Adventure, but this time messed up by too much chatting AFTERwards. The on-screen prompts were fine, we didn't need Sonic and Blaze to explain the controls before the battle. Totally killed the mood.

And finally the storybooks:

Secret Rings: Pretty damn epic and refreshing, I loved the brief personality shift.

Black Knight: Pretty great but a bit overrated. Awesome transformation yes, but it seemed kinda forced and random. "BEING BEATEN UP ALMOST TO DEATH - THEN DECIDING I'LL STILL FIGHT ANYWAY GIVES ME EXTRA POWER 8D". Indeed.

I like Excalibur Sonic, primarily because of how the music synced up. Maybe I'm just a sucker for more armor, but the whole thing was really cool.

Honorable mention was Heroes. I still with Turbo Tails was a game Super State, because the energy from Super Sonic going around Tails to form a cape would have been epic looking.

Worst was 06 by far. Some really bad lighting on the supers killed it.

Shadow The Hedgehog: Music was awesome, but felt a bit silly mainly thanks to Black Doom. His transformation wasn't even shown and he spent too long reciting from his favourite book "100 ways to tell your enemy that you plan to kill them."

Heh, forgot ol' Doomy's persistent need to tell me that I was at my end over and over again. At the time I just shook my head, but looking back it is kinda funny.

My favourite was probably Unleashed's... during the opening cutscene, at least, where we get to see his power relative to something that's not a final boss-level threat. Wanton destruction's always fun, and the 'oh crap' look on Eggman's face when Sonic pulls out the emeralds is priceless.

My least favourite was maybe the transformation from Heroes... it wasn't really the worst, since Super Sonic and the scene overall were handled decently, but Bubble Tails and Bubble Knuckles still make me want to hit my head with something. Urgh.

My favourite was probably Unleashed's... during the opening cutscene, at least, where we get to see his power relative to something that's not a final boss-level threat. Wanton destruction's always fun, and the 'oh crap' look on Eggman's face when Sonic pulls out the emeralds is priceless.

My least favourite was maybe the transformation from Heroes... it wasn't really the worst, since Super Sonic and the scene overall were handled decently, but Bubble Tails and Bubble Knuckles still make me want to hit my head with something. Urgh.

Seconded on both counts.

Although I confess to having a soft spot for Super Tails, so he'd be a close second.

Best - Sonic Adventure! The whole cinematic sequence before and after, the brilliant music, the stage it was set in, you KNEW it was the last boss.. unfortunately it set the " Super Sonic in last stage only " trend which occurs in every Sonic game since.

Worst - Sonic Adventure 2. Sure Sonic and Shadow looked cool, but .. Emeralds floating down from no where, the constant switch between characters, how annoying it was to actually get the boss.. then they end it with a giant Chaos Control .. sphere which Sonic suddenly knows how to summon.. kinda ridiculous.

Middle (?) - Chronicles. It was awesome to see how much power Super Sonic actually has :D I don't know about you, but I was glad I didn't have to actually fight the last boss, it was a refreshing change, but they could've some how made it longer.

I'm choosing these based on the situation, the actual transformation (what abilities you get), and somewhat on the battle itself.

I'm going to have to go with Doomsday Zone, for having a battle that was actually climactic. In Sonic 1, Robotnik retreated, in Sonic 2, Sonic was forced to withdraw when the Death Egg exploded, but in Sonic 3, Sonic was going after him no matter what. Nothing can hurt you, and had awesome music.

The worst has to be Perfect Dark Gaia, for being so obvious, unwelcome, irritating, artificially difficult, and slow. The QTE was a QTE, so it doesn't count. It would have been better if it had just been a cut scene. Even the freaking rocks almost kill you. A total embarrassment.

Edited by Phos

The worst has to be Perfect Dark Gaia, for being so obvious, unwelcome, irritating, artificially difficult, and slow. The QTE was a QTE, so it doesn't count. It would have been better if it had just been a cut scene. Even the freaking rocks almost kill you. A total embarrassment.

This. Dark Girugamesh was the worst boss I think I've ever fought in a Sonic game, and the Super Sonic half managed to be even more annoying than the fifty or so parts of the battle before it! Transformation sequence was nothing special either, except that the CG was good.

Wow I never thought other people appreciated the transformation sequence!

My favorites were SatBK's transformation due to it's gold armor shininess, and Sonic 3's transformation, due to Sonic's power-up animation (DB fans will have noticed where this came from ;) ).

The worst one (in my opinion) was in SA2 - the whole scene was awkward to watch and some of the faces that the characters pulled just before and during the scene put me on the floor in stiches (KNUCKLES!)

They are all cool to watch though. I need to pick up Rush and it''s sequel as I haven't played those yet.

cause_of_chaos

Well my favourites are Dark Spine (cause it was unexpected), Excalibur Sonic (Because everybody loves the buttcape), and SA1's (Don't have a real reason, but I just like it). Also from Rush too (Since the music fits well and the animation for the emeralds going around Sonic & Blaze was a nice touch).

Now worst ... probabbly the Chronicles one. It's meh.

Turbo Tails from Archie.

And yes, I'm actually (semi) serious <3

Aside from that >_> I guess my favourite for Sonic himself would be his 'regular' Super form, when shown with red eyes and a golden-yellow fur colour. There's just something so majestic about it; it reeks of power but also of tight control and risk.

However, all said and done, I much prefer all of the characters in their normal un-powered-up states.

Turbo Tails from Archie.

And yes, I'm actually (semi) serious <3

If Turbo Tails shows up again, I'd like him to look more like the original design. The "regular Tails with a red cape" was kind of cute, but it didn't feel as unique or cool to me as having a powered up Tails who had red fur and a blue hooded cloak.

I actually like the "Super Flickies" from Sonic3 and Knuckles' Super Tails quite a bit, too...The classic games and their Japanese manuals suggested that Tails had some sort of special relationship with the "small animals" who were being rescued, so it's really cute in that context.^^

My favourite transformation will probably always be Werehog form for the sheer amount of effort put into it, the time Sonic spends in this form and basically everything about him. A little thing I like is how he looks fluffy and cuddly and yet still has that definate edge of viciousness about him too, as if he can rip you a new one effortlessly if you piss him off. He almost rivals Darkspine in terms of sheer savagery towards bosses. The way he tore apart the Egg Dragoon in particular was epic.

Darkspine comes a very close second. I love his design and his totally 'in your face' attitude. The only drawback was that he was shown for such a short boss fight and is never mentioned again. He is a unique one when it comes to transformations.

I think Excalibur Sonic looks AWESOME but to me, it was a pity that he didn't control as awesome as he looked.

• Thumbs Up 1