Awoo.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

pooshoes

Rock Paper Shotgun has reported that the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 will not include dedicated server support, and will instead ship with some shitty matchmaking service that has no place in PC gaming.

I was really looking forward to MW2. If this story turn out to be, I will most likely not be buying. I don't want to be told how to play a game, and having matchmaking removes choice completely.

Edited by Pooshoes?

61808312.th.jpg

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/movie-uk-d247752b3936b67d88d8f53e66be67d5.html

So, erm, aside from all that awesomeness, have they actually said why they're doing this?

I mean, the paid-for-PC-DLC thing was kind of inevitable, and it's little surprise that this cash cow is the game to set the precedent, however the no dedicated servers thing just seems odd... not that I'm any kind of expert on the matter!

According to comments on RPS, it's supposedly aimed to reduce piracy. But at the cost of fucking everyone over and completely destroying the competitve aspect of the multiplayer?

Is it worth it?

How can you tell that it'll fuck everyone over, destroying the competitive aspect of the game?

When they got rid of it in Smash Bros suddenly everyone started hating the entire franchise.

How can you tell that it'll fuck everyone over, destroying the competitive aspect of the game?

Because competitive games use dedicated servers. Without dedicated servers, it would be impossible to host competitive games properly. Server mods we're a necessity to balance CoD4. Reduced number of perks, dodgy weapons removed, the ability to swap teams instantly, round restarts, map changes. Everything taken for granted can only be done easily with a dedicated server.

Edited by Pooshoes?

So, erm, aside from all that awesomeness, have they actually said why they're doing this?

Based on precedence of dickery, it is probably Activision's fault. It may even be a response to the exorbitant pricing the game will have on consoles but lacks on PC.

When they got rid of it in Smash Bros suddenly everyone started hating the entire franchise.

Super Smash Bros was never designed as an intensive competitive game. It's the fans that took the game to the competitive level. Call of Duty thrives on winning and defeating the opponent with a reasonable amount of balance. Plus the communities are much, much larger.

Because competitive games use dedicated servers. Without dedicated servers, it would be impossible to host competitive games properly. Server mods we're a necessity to balance CoD4. Reduced number of perks, dodgy weapons removed, the ability to swap teams instantly, round restarts, map changes. Everything taken for granted can only be done easily with a dedicated server.

Bingo. Without the ability to create servers, clans can't even schedule matches with a specific team. They would have to jump on the matchmaking bandwagon and play random clans/people. Unless you create your own private match, which can be a hassle with lag on the PC.

Edit: This isn't going to curb piracy. It's probably going to fuel it. People will pirate for the single player and I expect some hotshots to create their own dedicated server mod that the community will jump on.

Edited by The Engineer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Activision wants to be the only source for new maps, modes, and weapons.

Matchmaking is a shit concept, all it does is make it take longer to join games, or sometimes prevent it entirely. It's also much more complex to make than than a dedicated server.

Activision wants to be the only source for new maps, modes, and weapons.

Matchmaking is a shit concept, all it does is make it take longer to join games, or sometimes prevent it entirely. It's also much more complex to make than than a dedicated server.

I disagree. Matchmaking works rather well on consoles and PC game that support it. It's a great way to find what you're looking for in a "jump in" kind of way. Actually it works fantastic for consoles when done right. (Halo 2-3) but locking out the entire modding community and server options in a PC game is just nuts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually it works fantastic for consoles when done right. (Halo 2-3)

I found the matchmaking in Halo 2 (and matchmaking in general) to be utterly dire. I spent just as much time in a lobby or searching for a lobby as playing the damn game. And there is no way that matchmaking is more "jump in" than a server list. You find a server with a low ping that's running a map you want to play and you join it. Far quicker.

Something else that pisses me off about matchmaking is this idea that you should only ever be playing against people of a similar skill level. The only way to get better at a game is to have your arse handed to you on a regular basis by players who are better than you. Matchmaking babys players throughout online play, and, if you're actually any good, becomes incredibly boring very quickly. That was the major reason for me quitting Halo 2. The other reason is that the Halo 2 multiplayer was just as shit as the original Halo, if not worse.

Edited by Pooshoes?

They're trying out "consolizing" (as I call it) their business. You lock out mods, you lock out dedicated servers and people are forced to pay for your DLC packs for new content. Same logic behind it's 60 dollar console game price on the PC.

Though it's worth pointing out making PC users pay for DLC is no new concept. Bethesda has been doing it since TES IV: Oblivion. Though the difference being they still allowed mods.

I see this backfiring on Activision and Infinity Ward, though. They blame piracy to screw PC customers, which is obviously bullshit because it doesn't even make sense, and in an unfortunate turn for them it will likely only increase piracy.

And it isn't like the PC is hurting for FPS games either, so the community could very well just ignore the game.

It is a very high profile title though, and its predecessor has one of the best online experiences of any game out there. It really is a let-down for IW to screw over PC gamers - their original fanbase, lest ye forget - like this.

It is a very high profile title though, and its predecessor has one of the best online experiences of any game out there. It really is a let-down for IW to screw over PC gamers - their original fanbase, lest ye forget - like this.

Quite right. With any luck enough flak directed back at them will actually send a message to Activision and IW that this won't fly. Hell, since all the hate directed at EA for the past few years actually seems to have made a difference I'm not half as sure as I would've been before that once a developer goes down this path there's no turning back.

It is a very high profile title though, and its predecessor has one of the best online experiences of any game out there.

That is true, but if MW2 ends up coming out without the online aspect intact, I really don't see PC gamers putting up with it when there are so many games that they could play instead. Why would you buy the game if your biggest reason for buying it isn't included?

It's a stupid move, but since I prefer playing COD on the 360 it doesn't really bother me. I still got Team Fortress 2 to play with if I want a multiplayer PC FPS

I don't...actually...get what this is all about?

Surely you can choose a mode where you play with the certain people competitively, it's not <all> matchmaking right?

Something else that pisses me off about matchmaking is this idea that you should only ever be playing against people of a similar skill level. The only way to get better at a game is to have your arse handed to you on a regular basis by players who are better than you. Matchmaking babys players throughout online play, and, if you're actually any good, becomes incredibly boring very quickly. That was the major reason for me quitting Halo 2. The other reason is that the Halo 2 multiplayer was just as shit as the original Halo, if not worse.

I actually think the opposite to this is true; the pros hand your arse to you without making any effort at all, and really detract from your enjoyment of the game, as well as this, how would you get skills if all you did was re-spawn-move around a bit-get killed before you can even be alive for more than five seconds-respawn again. After around 20 times that gets kinda old and my enjoyment of the game goes from good to nothing.

I think that pros should be restricted to disallow them to play with the newbies, because they ruin everyone's enjoyment and arguably, in my opinion, not allow people to improve. If you play with someone at your level, and it's not an easy game for either player, then that's surely the best way to improve, rather than either a) get your arse handed to you within five seconds of respawning, or b ) drop a load of pwn on everyone's heads.

Anyway, why is it such an actual big thing that the servers aren't dedicated? I'm sure they won't disallow competitive gaming and allow things like 'play in a group of so many' for competitive play. I don't get it at all really.

I don't...actually...get what this is all about?

Surely you can choose a mode where you play with the certain people competitively, it's not <all> matchmaking right?

It's not the matchmaking that ruins it, so much as it's the lack of dedicated servers.

Competitive games won't be impossible, but will be so much harder to do with matchmaking.

I actually think the opposite to this is true; the pros hand your arse to you without making any effort at all, and really detract from your enjoyment of the game, as well as this, how would you get skills if all you did was re-spawn-move around a bit-get killed before you can even be alive for more than five seconds-respawn again. After around 20 times that gets kinda old and my enjoyment of the game goes from good to nothing.

That's why the killcam was introduced. Most of the times when you get killed in a CoD game you aren't directly looking the person who killed you. Being able to see how a better player killed you does help you improve your game.

I think that pros should be restricted to disallow them to play with the newbies, because they ruin everyone's enjoyment and arguably, in my opinion, not allow people to improve. If you play with someone at your level, and it's not an easy game for either player, then that's surely the best way to improve, rather than either a) get your arse handed to you within five seconds of respawning, or b ) drop a load of pwn on everyone's heads.

lol

Anyway, why is it such an actual big thing that the servers aren't dedicated? I'm sure they won't disallow competitive gaming and allow things like 'play in a group of so many' for competitive play. I don't get it at all really.

The major point is that dedicated servers allow players to play how they want. Dedicated servers can run mods which allow the host to tailor the game to their exact needs. Mods also allow independent ladder communities such as EnemyDown (<3) and ClanBase(</3) to enforce their own rulesets for competitive games on specific ladders.

Unless private matches include all of the potential options are that you can get using (something which is highly unlikely), MW2 will be a laughable competitve game.

Complaints about Infinity Ward shafting the PC community seem incredibly petty when you see footage like this (which hopefully will not be deleted due to copyright infringement or whathaveyou):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd2kD5m5DjE

So... I get to play a terrorist involved in the slaughter of innocent civilians in an airport? If one single part of any game is going to raise the hackles of the opportunistic press (ever eager to shoehorn GTA into every story going), that's it.

I can't ruddy wait to play it now.

I'm sitting here and even I'm thinking this is a bit much (This coming from a man who slaughtered every person in Skingrad on Oblivion then arranged their dead bodies into a preatty pony... I'm not joking). In other games (Such as GTA) Civilians are just people who you accidently hit in your car attempting to do an awesome handbreak turn, where as now it's a main objective.

Who thought that was a good idea.

E: Nevermind, It was the same Vid, I was just able to catch it before it was removed.

Edited by BlueFox

The video was pulled but it sounds fucking brilliant. At least MW2 will have some good content. Kudos to Activision and Infinity Ward for going somewhere this touchy.

Edited by Airship Captain Cipher

They're either incredibly brave or complete idiots (probably a mix of both) to go as far as they have here, and it's obviously going to stir up a whole mess of controversy among those tabloids and opportunistic politicians and other media crusaders looking to pick a fight with another violent videogame.

Germany and Australia, I wouldn't get your hopes up over playing it legally unless youre versions see that stage cut out. =( Despite all that though, it looks really.fucking.fun to play. Picking off wounded survivors as you go is a great touch.

Awwww and I missed it.... does anyone know if theres any uploads elsewhere, the shere hysteria that it'll cause makes this worthy of a purchase alone.

Edit: Nevermind I found one.

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Modern-Warfare-2s-Controversial-Opening

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 1