Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing 30th Anniversary Edition

VO.SUPER

4D21C9E7-78AF-4836-8641-8B9710442C8D.jpeg EBC93510-461E-447F-A2B4-4147202F0636.jpeg

Thought this would be worth a thread at least.

It's still only a rumor at this point, but worth considering how this retailer leaked details before. The idea of a rebundled TSR is appealing if there's new content to go a long with it, like new tracks, characters, and a better online mode. Especially now that Sumo Digital aren't bogged down by other major projects at this time, coming back to fix their underwhelming racing game seems worth while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why double down on TSR when. You can follow up on the vastly superior Transformed? 

TSR fell into obscurity so quick that I doubt anyone is in a rush to throw more development cash at it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Games like this and Generations continue to make me baffled in SEGA's approach to DLC. Why let these games just die?

• Thumbs Up 1

TSR hadalready received at least one special edition pack long after the initial release, featuring the standard game and a packed-in Totaku figure of the totally-unrelated-to-TSR Classic Sonic. This looks like another repackaging. I'd be really surprised if SEGA were giving this game a second lease of life for only €20. It's probably just bundled with another figurine/bonus (like Colours Ultimate and the baby movie Sonic key chain that's accuracy actually just a piece of Japanese movie promo mech from last year). The new packaging will emphasise PS5 and XBX compatability without and actual changes to the game itself.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

TSR hadalready received at least one special edition pack long after the initial release, featuring the standard game and a packed-in Totaku figure of the totally-unrelated-to-TSR Classic Sonic. This looks like another repackaging. If be really surprised if SEGA were giving this game a second lease of life for only €20. It's probably just bundled with another figurine and the new packaging will emphasise PS5 and XBX compatability without and actual changes to the game itself.

Your link is broken I think.  (Fixed; thanks)

Anyways, it might be worth doing. It is their most recent racing game, and adding a whole DLC repackaging would be cheaper than a new game especially if SEGA wants to keep people interested in the game outside of some new bundles. They could add the mobile game content for instance.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cross-posting from the 30th thread this morning.

What I would say is TSR already got a re-release edition with the Totaku Sonic figure randomly bundled in.

Realistically I think this will be TSR with some sort of 30th anniversary branded cardboard slipcase and maybe a small bonus like an anniversary emblem pin. It's relatively low-cost and it gives them an excuse to push a game that quickly faded from the spotlight on its initial release. 

I really doubt this is going to result in any new content in the game itself but I'd be happy to be proven wrong, I definitely enjoyed the game for what it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Apple Arcade version that's following the console version very closely in content is adding Classic Sonic + 3 Green Hill tracks sometime this year, maybe it just got announced there first? Not sure they'll do a full set of tracks, but if they give the online some significant improvements it might be worth returning to. When you release an online mode so unfinished you're literally unable to join open lobbies, no wonder it was dead on arrival.

I was kinda hoping an eventual sequel was in the cards that would fix the more awkward team line-ups and bring back the Death Egg, Sky Sanctuary and Starlight Carnival tracks, but it would be nice to see this get another breath of life....since Sega essentially watched it choke to death on day 1.

Unless it's just TSR with Baby Sonic keychain

• Thumbs Up 2

As mentioned on the other thread, I like the concept of TSR, and it plays real smooth and has a banging soundtrack. But a lackluster story campaign, no unlockables (well... no interesting unlockables) alongside a lot of the tracks being reused from the 1st two games made it difficult to justify its existence IMO.

If they're gunna release this seriously, they need to increase the volume of content to get the players interested. Their focus on "Sonic Only" branded content this time around didn't need to harm this game when they dropped the Allstars moniker from the tag - but they really undelivered on this potential when it could have been something special (like CTR:NF's approach for example). 

Now if it was Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformered 30th Anniversary Edition Remastered (quite a mouthful!) ...I'd be in!

• Thumbs Up 4

To me, it makes sense for Sega to update this game. I've played the Apple Arcade version, the game is pretty fun and it has potential, but at the same time the online was nonexistent (I was relegated to playing single-player) and the game just felt it was lacking in some way. Having played Transformed in the past and playing this, if Sega wanted they could make this their full-on premium racing game. Like previously mentioned, they could expand the cast, new tracks, etc. I think a trick system would be nice, where certain ramps or areas could be added that you could do tricks off of. New characters such as Mighty and Ray, the rest of the Chaotix, and maybe more obscure characters like Bean, Bark, and Fang (the Marvelous Queen needs to be in another racing game) would be nice. There could be seasonal online events or the sort of character events in Sonic Dash and Speed Battle, also adding cosmetics and the like. TL;DR, if Sega is going back to TSR they shouldn't waste the opportunity, and make it more interesting, even though if we are being a bit more realistic, all of this is pretty unlikely, and at best Sega will add some new tracks, or maybe only the stuff shown at Sonic Central. I just want the spinoffs to have a bit more ambition. I'm fine with quality over quantity but I would like some more interesting content I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 2

If there were any new content, knowing them, it would probably be movie Sonic as a racer (just a skin with the same car and stats)  and some "new" tracks that are the same tracks but mirrored (achieved by literally flipping the screen).

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

TSR hadalready received at least one special edition pack long after the initial release, featuring the standard game and a packed-in Totaku figure of the totally-unrelated-to-TSR Classic Sonic. This looks like another repackaging. I'd be really surprised if SEGA were giving this game a second lease of life for only €20. It's probably just bundled with another figurine/bonus (like Colours Ultimate and the baby movie Sonic key chain that's accuracy actually just a piece of Japanese movie promo mech from last year). The new packaging will emphasise PS5 and XBX compatability without and actual changes to the game itself.

The same website had Colours Ultimate listed for less than the MSPR or am I mistaken?
Maybe the price is a placeholder, but on a guts level I agree with you, this is probably just a normal re-release with some physical goodies they're overstocked with.

I hope for the best, which is new content, but eh, don't see it happening. TSR really deserved more than what it got.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the artbook is the one from Colours Ultimate japan I'm double dipping

EDIT: Quadruple dip actually, bought the game 3 times already

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, it's totally the same artbook from Colors Ultimate. They probably ran out of baby Sonic keychains. I'm surprised they didn't throw in some expired ketchup packets from the Atlus breakroom.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 5

7 hours ago, AstroSeedP said:

This isn't a big surprise, a while back we got a hint of something like this happening with the random Press site update:

unknown%2B%25285%2529.png

https://twitter.com/AstroSeedP/status/1413538644049244161

Helped write a blog regarding this a while back:
https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2021/04/some-interesting-things-are-going-on.html

I like how they're rereleasing everything BUT what people ask for(ie Adventure, Unleashed, Chaotix, etc.)

Seriously, was anyone asking for Sonic 4 ep 2?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Slash said:

I like how they're rereleasing everything BUT what people ask for(ie Adventure, Unleashed, Chaotix, etc.)

Seriously, was anyone asking for Sonic 4 ep 2?

Maaaaaaaybe that's because a better 3D developer in Japan is working on an SA remake?

Like... Capcom's RE2make team?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

I don't think it was explicitly said the artbook is the only new feature included, just in the boxart. Still, worth hoping.

Kinda would have made sense as a bundle with Colors Ultimate, if you ask me.

• Absolutely 1

Meh... this game couldn't hold a candle to other kart racing games such as Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing in terms of content. When I heard that they only wanted to focus on Sonic, I hoped they would go deep into Sonic's lore and bring some really obscure characters back. Look what Beenox did for CTR:NF! They brought back forgotten characters such as Yaya Panda, Chick, Stew, and even Rilla Roo! Why couldn't SEGA do the same with Sonic? Probably because of the low budget, but still, it would have been so neat, to play as obscure Sonic characters such as Princess Elise, Chip, Prof. Pickles, Marine the Raccoon, Merlina, Shahra, King Boom Boo, Zazz, Mighty, Ray, and more.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know a rumor is likely to be true when it isn't even exciting or interesting at all. lol I definitely would not double-dip on this game for an art book of all things...

6 hours ago, Tomboyish Mermaid said:

Meh... this game couldn't hold a candle to other kart racing games such as Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing in terms of content. When I heard that they only wanted to focus on Sonic, I hoped they would go deep into Sonic's lore and bring some really obscure characters. Look what Beenox deed with CTR:NF, they brought back folks such as Yaya Panda, Chick, Stew and even Rilla Roo, why couldn't SEGA do the same with Sonic. Probably because of the low budget, but still, it would have been so neat, to play as obscure Sonic characters such as Princess Elise, Chip, Prof. Pickles, Marine the Raccoon, Merlina, Shahra, King Boom Boo, Zazz, Mighty, Ray, and more.

Sega: "Why would you want those lame characters when you can play as the Super Special Awesome Zavok?"

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Team Sonic Racing. The game is pretty solid, and it's more balanced than ASR Transformed. I also prefer the game being focused only on Sonic universe and characters. The issue is the lack of content. There are only a few playable characters and tracks, TSR has half the content of Mario Kart 8, for example. This is very disappointing and killed the game :(

I wish this new version will have more content, like Sonic Mania Plus and owners of the older version could be able to upgrade through DLC. If it's the same game with the same content again, I'll be very upset

• Thumbs Up 1