Awoo.

Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl (Fall 2021, consoles and PC) "Simply Smashing"

Teoskaven

This game won't have voice acting, apparently. Which is a big bummer since that takes a lot of the charm out of a crossover fighter such as this. Of course, this has been an issue with the Kart Racer, but it'll be even more apparent here.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

Sigh.

It's been like this with a lot of other licensed Nickelodeon games, namely the recent Nickelodeon Kart racer games. But hey, doesn't mean the game will be trash, just that the creators decided to forego some of the things that would enhance the experience just that little bit. The game still looks pretty good, at the very least.

Honestly, aside from rollback netcode, it does seem like the initial hype of the game has kinda calmed down. The lack of voice acting in a fighting game crossover is gonna be a black eye.

They're gonna need to pull out an amazing roster and some top-notch gameplay if they want this game to leave a mark well enough to garner a lasting fanbase.

The only thing that can save this game now is Hugh Neutron himself /s

In all seriousness, the hype has died down but that's not unexpected for most games, just generally how the release cycle works. The internet's gotta move on to the next big thing, as it always does. I think we'll see some good stuff from the game in the next few months but hopefully this potential doesn't go to waste.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new character reveals from Gamescom: CatDog, who was previously deciphered from the silhouetted boxart, and...April O'Neil! Friggin' WILD how this single gaming event has given us reveals for TWO SEPARATE PLAYABLE '87 April appearances.

• Thumbs Up 1

April got that MVC frank west camera flash and the WiiFit Trainer vibes on that smash attack(?)

Funny also seeing her here with a different moveset to that beatemup where she's apparently the world's biggest street fighter fan. If I play this game I'm probably going to pick her.

The Switch icon for the game has revealed the full boxart, fully confirming Aang, Korra, Ren and Stimpy!

Double post, but we got gameplay! (As well as a breakdown of mechanics!)

No voices for characters, as expected (there's an announcer, though) and we get a look at the speed, more moves (APRIL PULLS OUT A MINI TURTLE BLIMP TO RECOVER) and the HUD. Mechanics vid is particularly juicy, confirming taunts and THAT YOU CAN GRAB PROJECTILES.

Gotta love how one of the Avatar stages is shown off in the 4-Player video. They're not even trying to hide anything. 😂

• 3 weeks later...

The final character has more or less leaked:

Spoiler

Toph has had images found, and the trophy list that dropped yesterday basically confirmed her, with her appearing as a trophy image. The images of such being either fighters or background characters in stages.

With that, the full roster is looking to be 

• Spongebob
  • Patrick
  • Sandy
  • Lincoln
  • Lucy
  • Oblina
  • Aang
  • Korra
  • Toph
  • CatDog
  • Danny Phantom
  • Zim
  • Nigel Thornberry
  • Powdered Toast Man
  • Ren & Stimpy 
  • Reptar
  • Leonardo
  • Michelangelo 
  • April O’Neil

We also know there’s two DLC characters on the horizon as well.

55 minutes ago, Jango said:

Where the fuck is Timmy and Jimmy?

There are two DLC characters likely to be free post-launch (apparently they were planned for the base roster), so it’s possible that’s them.

I just think it's kinda odd that side characters were choosen over the main character in some cases, like Helga over Arnold, or Reptar over Tommy or Angelica. But I think it's cool that Helga got in before Arnold (and it makes sense lore-wise because Arnold doesn't like fighting), gives the roster more variety in genre, since a lot of main characters are dudes. 

Still could've added Jenny XJ-9 tho'... 

The weirdest thing to me is that there are only 2 of the TMNT. Have there been any other games that involved the team that did not had all 4 of them in some capacity? Because even Injustice 2 allowed you to tag and mix between the different members.

7 hours ago, Jango said:

I just think it's kinda odd that side characters were choosen over the main character in some cases, like Helga over Arnold, or Reptar over Tommy or Angelica. But I think it's cool that Helga got in before Arnold (and it makes sense lore-wise because Arnold doesn't like fighting), gives the roster more variety in genre, since a lot of main characters are dudes. 

Still could've added Jenny XJ-9 tho'... 

Nick probably doesn’t want babies getting punched or something 

Anyway, I just hope Kappa Mikey/Gonard gets in as DLC at some point to rep the “Nicktoons channel” originals. That shit would be obscure but hype 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

"Now where could my DLC be?"

Free to download on Decembr 9th.

• Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

14 minutes ago, Remy said:

On the other hand, having it be garfield is pretty cynical

Oh? How do you figure that to be the case?

2 hours ago, Remy said:

On one hand, it's free.

On the other hand, having it be garfield is pretty cynical

He’s been in the coding for the game for like ever, he probably was meant to be base, but they didn’t have time to finish him, and the other character that was potentially leaked. I don’t think it’s anything too cynical tbh

22 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Oh? How do you figure that to be the case?

Just goes with the rest of this roster as pandering to 30+ year old millenials and internet memes. 

54 minutes ago, Remy said:

Just goes with the rest of this roster as pandering to 30+ year old millenials and internet memes. 

Uhhhhh. Yeah, I'm not really seeing whatever it is you're seeing here. Seems like a perfectly fine addition to me.

What's funny about the Garfield thing is that I assumed his inclusion was due to Nick airing Garfield and Friends in syndication back in the day (which is how I first watched it before Cartoon Network picked up the show) and then I got the shock of my life over the weekend finding out Viacom bought Paws, Inc. two years ago.

I'm never recovering from this.