Awoo.

Valve announces Steam Deck, a new portable gaming system

KHCast

The fact you can upload other storefronts into this is quite funny. It looks like they found a workaround to Epic’s BS, and found a way to still benefit from the situation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jango said:

I didn't saw the IGN video before, but you can download and install another OS or even another game store, like Origin for example. One of the devs actually says this is literally a portable PC, a powerfull one, so you can basically do anything a PC would... Like download emulators and play literally every shit you'd want, not JUST Steam games. This piece of hardware contains so much power. How they keep it cool when high-end PCs nowadays requires like 3 super expensive coolers and shit is beyond me. Rocket science. I think I want this more than a PS5 right now. 

It’s funny you say that, because this is exactly what I was expecting Sony and Microsoft to do with their newest consoles and make them essentially PC/Game Console hybrids, only to be let down when that never came to be.

Guess I gave them too much credit, but it’s never too late for others to commit to the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've said this elsewhere but I'm personally really mixed on the fact that the console ecosystem is being forced down on all Steam devs - means I need to get my hand on one of these systems to make sure my games actually function on it.

Despite what Valve claims, Proton isn't a perfect solution and not every game will work great, as evident by the fact that I keep getting pestered by Linux players who are trying to run non-native linux games I've made on their systems :( If I wasn't working on my projects full time I'd be absolutely screwed money wise in regards to getting a dev kit / console and I know friends who are just gonna hope they don't get any reports of their stuff not working on a system they have no money to test for

While it looks cool and I’m sure it will satisfy a niche somewhere, I doubt it’ll be the Switch killer everyone claims it is. I’ll definitely be keeping tabs on it though.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I kind of wish it was possible to even get a personal hands-on with it. Because every time I see the system my fingers just want to cringe a bit with how the button placement looks. And trying to print a 3D copy won't emulate the possible weight at all either to get a better evaluation, since I want to see if it is actually possible for me to be able to hang on to it for long or not if I was playing it in a situation where I couldn't hook an outside controller up to it.

Though I'm not sure if some of the games that I do play more often would run on it or not, that is iffy to tell as well, or if you're locked to needing to first connect to internet to begin with in order to access some of the DL'd games as a sort of DRM in there.