Awoo.

Rouge The Bat Appreciation Thread

Mephiles' Disciple

You know something that really annoys me? When people throw Rouge under the bus because of her design being not “kid-friendly”. Honestly, I’ve never seen any positive comments about this character as it seems that the only thing that comes to people’s mind when it comes to this character is breasts. I remember back in the days when Cobanermani used to do Let’s Plays on YouTube, he’d often mock Rouge calling her ‘Rouge the W****’ on a regular basis. I’ve even seen some comments from some people calling Sega sexist for creating Rouge as a “sex-model”. Even on this very forum people have posted a petition to redesign Rouge:

This really makes me sad as I feel that people are just throwing such a great character aside simply because of a questionable character design choice. Is the Sonic community really that mastophobic that they want to grab their torches and pitch-forks just because one character shows a bit of cleavage? It’s sad to say if Rouge simply didn’t show cleavage then people wouldn’t treat her as a joke which I think is pathetic and goes to show how immature the gaming community is. Though I find it ironic that with the recent release of Space Jam: A New Legacy, fans have been having the exact opposite reaction in regards to Lola Bunny as they were upset at having her de-sexified in the new movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSroWWYsiK4

First of all, I’m perfectly fine with Rouge showing off her breasts, and no I’m not just saying that because I’m a guy who likes boobies. I think Rouge’s voluptuous design is what makes her stand out from the rest of the cast. Rouge was introduced as the first villainess for the franchise (ok maybe villainess is not the right word, she’s more of an anti-hero but the point though is that she’s not a ‘good guy’ character like Sonic), just by looking at her design and appearance you can see that she’s not this little petite girl who would never harm a fly. Her attire consists of a leather latex suit with long sexy boots and gloves complimented by a shapely heart-shaped bra showing off her breasts followed by eye-liner to glorify her eye lashes. Her design is downright risqué, yes, that’s the freaking point! Rouge is not supposed to be cute, sweet, and innocent like Amy or Cream, Rouge is an anti-hero who doesn’t play by the rules, and her alluring design is meant to display the fact that she doesn’t give a rat’s behind of what anyone thinks about her. And in addition to her display of cleavage, one can also argue that it’s to show her mature age. Rouge is the oldest of the female cast at the age of 17 and is the second oldest character (by appearance of course, Shadow is half a century old but retains the appearance of a 15-year old hedgehog) in the roster being beaten by Vector who is 20 last I checked, so it makes sense for Rouge to have breasts.

And while we’re on the topic of Rouge’s design, it’s very common for villainesses and female anti-heroes in other franchises to have risqué designs as well. Just look at Catwoman from the Batman universe. She’s completely covered in latex accompanied by high heels (like Rouge) and equipped with a sexy whip. Like Rouge, she’s an anti-hero and her design is meant to show that she’s not a voice for justice or wants to put others before herself like Batgirl. She’s selfish and fights for her own desires and wants much like Rouge. Sure Catwoman, like Rouge, will team up with the hero occasionally for the fate of the world or to solve some other problem, but usually they are fighting for themselves and they don’t care if anyone has a problem with that hence why they dress as if they could care less what the world thinks about them. The same can be said for Black Cat from Spider-Man who like Rouge, isn’t afraid to show off her drumroll her cleavage! Showing off breasts is just a common theme for female anti-heroes and villainesses, and I think it’s ridiculous for Rouge to be hated for something that a lot of characters within her archetype in other media get away with.

So once you get past the whole Herp Derp R0uGe h@z teh BI6 B00BI3$ I think Rouge has some interesting qualities that make her a great character. First of all, I think Rouge makes a good foil to Amy. In the classic era Amy was really the only female character among the cast. At this time Amy was the typical cute, sweet, and innocent girly type of character; Sure she began to become more independent during her story arc in Sonic Adventure where she grew from damsel in distress to strong heroine. But her actions and motivations are still dependent on Sonic as she’s basically obsessed with the character. I think Rouge’s introduction helped to break the mold of the ‘girls rely on men’ stereotype. Rouge was very intelligent as she was scheming behind Eggman’s back working for the government with her own plan to steal the emeralds and bail when the time was right throughout the Dark Side story in SA2. She was strong enough to take down Flying Dog which was Prison Islands’ greatest form of defense against intruders. And her agility skills can rival that of Tails and Knuckles as she was basically a Tails clone in heroes and a Knuckles clone in SA2. Ok sure, there were scenes where she was saved by both Shadow and Knuckles in SA2 but the former was more so to make Shadow have a flashback of Maria and demonstrate the planet-hopping powers of chaos-control and the latter was just a display of Knuckles X Rouge fan-service.

Speaking of Knuckles X Rouge, another reason why Rouge is such a great character is because she makes a great love interest for Knuckles. Yeah some people would argue that Rouge goes better with Shadow but I see Rouge and Shadow having more of a brother-sister relationship. When it comes to Knuckles on the other hand, we clearly see Rouge tease and flirt with Knuckles on a daily basis, she can’t resist finding an opportunity to push his buttons whenever they meet. Some may argue that this is a reason to hate Rouge as it helped start the whole ‘Knuckles is stupid’ characteristic post-Sonic Heroes. But I still think it’s funny to see Knuckles as this big and strong dude get upset at a woman throwing signs at him to agitate and embarrass him in a playful manner, much like how Amy is always comedically chasing after Sonic but Sonic is simply not interested. These comedic romantic skits simply wouldn’t work with Shadow as I feel they would degrade his serious and dark character and are better used with Knuckles.

Now on the topic of Shadow, he’s the 2nd most popular Sonic character in the franchise and Rouge is his most trustworthy friend just as how Tails is Sonic’s most trustworthy friend. Knowing this, it’s really sad to see Rouge be tossed aside by the fandom. Rouge is basically the ‘Tails’ for Shadow, though unlike Tails, Rouge is actually independent. Tails is pretty much always attached to Sonic by the hip, seldom do we ever see Sonic without Tails palling around. Rouge on the other hand may be best buddies with Shadow, but she’s not under him 24/7. As a government spy she’s often doing her own thing on missions and knows how to take care of herself. She also will not hesitate to care for her friends when they’re in trouble. In the very underrated game, Sonic Battle, there’s a scene when Shadow get’s badly injured by one of Eggman’s robots and Rouge actually takes him back to her club and treats him until he’s better again.

I always found that to be a really interesting moment that goes to show that Rouge isn’t as selfish and uptight as people may claim her to be. In fact, I think this may be the only time in the games where we a Sonic character becoming seriously injured and needs to be nursed back to health by another Sonic character. We’ve never even seen something like that happen with Sonic and Tails (although we did have a scene like this in 06 with Sonic and Elise but we all know how the internet feels about that). And in regards to Tails, he should be the most iconic character in the franchise aside from Sonic and Eggman, despite this, he was basically replaced by Rouge in the second half of Sonic X Season 2. Rouge joins Sonic and Knuckles in the fight against the rampaging Emerl, this continues in other episodes as well, meanwhile Tails is just tossed to the side: https://youtu.be/b-qHbNGKnYE?t=711

I felt that multiple characters were frustratingly misused in Sonic X, especially Tails, but I think one of the few characters that were well written was Rouge. Rouge was so cool in Sonic X, she’s one of the few characters that actually fought and demonstrated impressive strength feats. And she was basically the strongest female character among the roster. Most of Amy’s fighting scenes were for comedic purposes; Cream, aside from a few scenes in season 3, for the most part only fought once which was against Emerl. Tikal was the typical guidance character like she was in the original Sonic Adventure, and Cosmo wasn’t a fighter either. Rouge on the other hand was given a bit of an origin story in Sonic X and was considered to be such a threat by the military that she was forcefully recruited to join GUN as an agent and help them take down Eggman. Not only this, but we are shown that she’s strong enough to go head-to-head with Knuckles on multiple occasions as well as being smart enough to build her own space ship in Season 3 (I always thought Tails and Rouge being on Eggman’s level of intergalactic vehicle manufacturing was ridiculous but that’s a rant for another day). If Sonic X deserves an applause for anything, I believe it should definitely be praised for it’s portrayal of Rouge.

Lastly, not really much of a characteristic but I always thought it was cool to see that like Shadow, Rouge is the only character to seem to respect Eggman by referring to him as ‘The Doctor’. This may be due to the events in SA2 where even though she was plotting to back-stab Eggman, deep down she still respects him as they were partners at one point. Also, Rouge seems to have the greatest variety of outfits throughout the series iirc, that’s cool I guess, I always thought her Heroes outfit was awesome, it would be nice to see her in it again.

Well, there’s my two cents on Rouge The Bat. It’s a shame that most people just write her off as “inappropriate” for the Sonic franchise because HURR DURR B00B$ SHULDN’T B N S@N1C GAMZ But I think she’s a really great character with multiple interesting traits. Like I said, she makes for a great foil to Amy, hilarious love interest and rival for Knuckles, considerate sister-figure for Shadow, and strong independent female anti-hero who deserves a lot more respect.

Edit: Sorry some of the video links are acting wonky.

I'd give my take on the whole boobs/sexiness issue but it seems like you aren't accepting any but your own, lol. I guess this is an appreciation thread anyway.

Which I will now take as an opportunity to remind you that Rouge the Bat single-handedly crashed Dr. Eggman's faceship, crucially buying enough time for the chaos emeralds to be collected and opening up the opportunity for the last emerald to be taken from Zavok, making her one of the most important players to ending the Metal Virus.

bruh.jpg.f1904c620d6cbf6c74e745fceef71c13.jpgbruh2.thumb.jpg.89359e34d397c435d027395ddf606dff.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I was with you up until you dropped the "SJW".

The hilarious thing is a good chunk of Rouge's fans are "SJW's" including this guy.

Anyway Rouge is sincerely my favorite character in the franchise and it might be a shock from how often I talk about enjoying simplicity in Sonic but I like that she's a grey area character. That yeah at her core she's one of the good guys (and apparently close enough to Sonic to be invited to his birthday) but she's willing to do unscrupulous things to achieve her goals. 

Sorry my post wasn't about how "SJW's" hate Rouge's boobs.

• Thumbs Up 4

I’ve even seen some comments from SJWs calling Sega sexist for creating Rouge as a “sex-model”. Even on this very forum people have posted a petition to redesign Rouge:

I'm fairly left-leaning, and have thus been called an "SJW" for my views. A term that - if it perhaps meant something in 2012 - has been stripped of all meaning today, with how broadly it's applied to anyone with remotely progressive politics.

I don't care at all about how much skin a fictional character shows, and neither do most people. Cherry-picking a small subset of people who care way too much about this specific issue and then extrapolating it as a common concern of so-called "SJWs" feels pretty disingenuous. 

Anyway, Rouge is fine, I guess? She had a decent role in games like Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Battle, but I feel like as the series has gone on, she's just kind of been consolidated into Team Dark as a support character to Shadow, rarely displaying any of her own individual goals or ambitions anymore. While her partnership with Shadow and Omega is fine in and of itself, I feel like she hasn't really done anything outside of being Shadow's sidekick in well over a decade.

So as someone who already doesn't find Shadow particularly interesting, I don't find Rouge and Omega - who are usually relegated to following Shadow around without much of their own distinct drive, as seen in games like Sonic 06 - particularly interesting most of the time either. Heroes gave Team Dark some distinct motivations and their in-level banter gave each member a sense of independence, but I feel like from 06 onward Rouge and Omega have largely functioned as extensions of Shadow rather than independent actors in their own right.

So yeah, Rouge is someone who I see as having the potential to be a really fun character, but they don't really take advantage of that. Which, to be fair, is a complaint I have for most of the characters in this series.

Obviously spinoff media like the IDW comics is better about this, but I'm mainly talking about the games here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Taking a silly colorful animal adventure series and adding a bat girl with huge bouncing breasts did initially come off as kind of crass pandering to horny teens so some of the mockery was justified. But, especially with her design being refined to be less extreme over the next few games, people have largely moved on from it and accepted her place in the series. I mean the thread you cite is from a decade ago, got mocked and locked pretty much immediately, and seemed to be parodying some other probably-dumb thread so it's hardly something to hold up as proof that this is a big issue in the community.

The real problem with Rouge is that they just never really let her be interesting. As soon as Team Dark was formed she was largely locked into being one of Shadow's sidekicks, losing a lot of her independence and moral ambiguity. She's faired better in some continuities than others but it's always felt like they stripped most of the life out of the concept before they even made good use of her.

• Thumbs Up 7

What's with all the threads with really loaded commentary about leftism in Green Grove lately?

Anyway, from what I've seen most people (like me) like Rouge but think her design is really silly for a kids series about cartoon animals, that's cuz they still made her a good character. All I can suggest at that point is to just get into a less reactionary social bubble I guess?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Natie said:

Anyway, from what I've seen most people (like me) like Rouge but think her design is really silly for a kids series about cartoon animals, that's cuz they still made her a good character. All I can suggest at that point is to just get into a less reactionary social bubble I guess?

I personally agree. I know many people don't agree based on what I've seen from this forum, but I'm glad that the discussion can be had without automatically assuming the worst of anyone who disagrees with you (like what OP did).

I guess it just makes things plain and simple when you demonize and lobotomize people who dissent with your opinions. Hell, you could call either side of this argument "SJW", but at the end of the day pretending fictional bat boobies are an actual serious issue is a waste of time and energy.

Honestly thinking about Rouge's boobs (yeah I'm sticking with that wording) I really don't think they were ever supposed to be as comically large as they were in SA2. Look at all her official art for that gameand yeah they're big but more of a realistic big and not the infamous one polygon boob of the game proper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only in this fandom can we have a topic predicated on a character's breast size. Never fucking change Sonic fanbase (I'm lying, please change, for the love of fucking god) 

I really try to not get involved with all of the politic leaning nowadays, but I suppose my leanings would be more progressive than some with a bit of conservatism thrown in. To which I say, nobody seriously cares about Rouge's design anymore. She's been around for two decades as an established character and been featured in multiple media since. If there was an actual controversy over her design, it would have happened already. This fanbase already argues about the most nonsensical bullshit, I'm honestly shocked Rouge is one of the least egregious things people argue about but I suppose that's more to do with her being mostly a tertiary character.

As for Rouge herself; yes, she was blatantly designed with sex appeal in mind, which in hindsight, was kind of weird for a series like Sonic to be dabbing into. But for the most part, they didn't actually lean that much into it shockingly. Like yea, her design in SA2 is ridiculous but neither the characters or story really draw attention to it, focusing more on her actions and personality, which is probably why I was able to ignore it. If they DO play up the sex appeal, its in very brief and small moments that hardly define her entire character. All things considered, Rouge is actually pretty progressive as far as female characters go in Sonic; she's driven by her own sense of purpose and capable of taking care of herself, which says a lot when the franchise heroine's defining trait is being in love with the protagonist and chasing after him. (absolutely no offense to Amy) 

So yea, it does kind of suck that she's relegated to a supporting role most of the time. If nothing else, it feels pretty firmly established that she's the mature one between her and Shadow, and pretty much the only one who can reign him in. So while she may always play second fiddle to Shadow, at the very least we know who's calling the shots in Team Dark. I find that much more compelling because its just interesting for a character as independent and aggressive as Shadow, forced to defer to someone wiser than him to be a good way at making him more tolerable...especially nowadays. 

It's just a shame that the comics are really the only place she can shine. Sega need to stop being pussy and just give us a Team Dark game already.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Rouge is one of the many Sonic characters that I just don't care that much about. I don't like her and I don't dislike her. I'm one of those people that usually only latch on to a few characters in any given series and sorta don't think too much about the rest. With the Sonic series I love Metal Sonic, Team Chaotix, Eggman, Tails, Gamma, Omega and to a certain extent Sonic himself. Everyone else is just sorta there.

Rouge is hot though, I'll say that much.

Frankly, the Sonic series doesn't have enough crass sex appeal pandering for teenage boys, and even less for teenage girls. It's all happening in Shadow the hedgehog 2: Deluxe Phallic Metaphor Edition, coming April 2009!

Place your preorders today and receive: (1) large knife, (2) stiletto heels, and (35) armed assault vehicles, all for the low low cost of $199.95!

Order now, and we'll throw in tasteful nudes of Ivo Robotnik, Vector the Crocodile, and the President's Secretary from Sonic Adventure 2 whose voice you thought was hot when you found her secret menu theme. All absolutely free!

~~~Sonic the hedgehog: A fun, sexy time for the whole family!~~~

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

58 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Frankly, the Sonic series doesn't have enough crass sex appeal pandering for teenage boys, and even less for teenage girls. It's all happening in Shadow the hedgehog 2: Deluxe Phallic Metaphor Edition, coming April 2009!

Will Shadow be naked?

9 hours ago, Natie said:

What's with all the threads with really loaded commentary about leftism in Green Grove lately?

New (possibly previously banned) accounts trying to spark some culture wars bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna ignore the "SJW" stuff since everyone else has done a good job addressing that bs.

Rouge is a character who I feel has about the same issue as most of the side characters in the series in that she has more potential than proper utilization. The fact she works as a government agent was never an angle I felt fit her considering how she's also a prominent jewel thief. She's a great support character to Team Dark and I love her relationship with Shadow, but I feel her attachment to him has kind of stunted her growth as an independent character. In some ways she kind of feels a bit too much like a team mom, a role I feel like Amy's been moving in on yesterday.

One angle I really wish we could explore again was Rouge being the owner of a casino, because to me that says a lot about her role as a neutral party vs some outright superhero like everyone else. Rouge owns an entire building all about taking people's money and leaving some bankrupt. While it's not a direct thievery, it really reminds you that's she not above some questionable behavior. Kind of more like Sly Cooper, as this loveable rogue who doesn't steal from innocents, but certainly doesn't give money back. I'd just really like to see that angle pushed for Rouge again.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

New (possibly previously banned) accounts trying to spark some culture wars bullshit.

I just hope no one takes the bait and turns the forum into a huge right vs left dumpster fire. We should instead avoid unnecessary politics and be mature and nuanced when talking about beliefs. It's really not right vs left, its maturity vs immaturity. The people who talk like "Duh Cringe SJWS!" are either young teenagers or adults that need to do some soul-searching, and shouldn't be lumped into the faction of beliefs that you tend to disagree with. 

16 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

One angle I really wish we could explore again was Rouge being the owner of a casino, because to me that says a lot about her role as a neutral party vs some outright superhero like everyone else. Rouge owns an entire building all about taking people's money and leaving some bankrupt. While it's not a direct thievery, it really reminds you that's she not above some questionable behavior. Kind of more like Sly Cooper, as this loveable rogue who doesn't steal from innocents, but certainly doesn't give money back. I'd just really like to see that angle pushed for Rouge again.

As out-of-nowhere Rouge owning a casino would be, it absolutely does fix her up in a meaningful way. I'd love that angle for Rouge, and it doesn't even eliminate any existing connections with Team Dark. I could see Shadow being a bit upset by it but that's about it. You can just slap this onto the character without a continuity or characterization issue, it fits well. 

Definitely one of the most underappreciated characters both by the fanbase and by the actual dev team since her debut.

3 minutes ago, charmsb said:

I just hope no one takes the bait and turns the forum into a huge right vs left dumpster fire. We should instead avoid unnecessary politics and be mature and nuanced when talking about beliefs. It's really not right vs left, its maturity vs immaturity. The people who talk like "Duh Cringe SJWS!" are either young teenagers or adults that need to do some soul-searching, and shouldn't be lumped into the faction of beliefs that you tend to disagree with. 

As out-of-nowhere Rouge owning a casino would be, it absolutely does fix her up in a meaningful way. I'd love that angle for Rouge, and it doesn't even eliminate any existing connections with Team Dark. I could see Shadow being a bit upset by it but that's about it. You can just slap this onto the character without a continuity or characterization issue, it fits well. 

Definitely one of the most underappreciated characters both by the fanbase and by the actual dev team since her debut.

It's not out of nowhere. It's that one detail everyone forgets from Sonic Battle.

Sonic The Hedgeblog on Twitter: "The map of Night Babylon from Sonic Battle.  [@Sonic_Hedgeblog] [Patreon] https://t.co/7aG9uyKvi6… "

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Club_"Rouge"

• Thumbs Up 2

Cosign that making Rouge both a jewel thief and a government spy was an awkward fit for the character. In Sonic Adventure 2, it really feels like Jewel Thief Rouge and Spy Rouge are different characters. Thief Rouge is vain, petty, and frankly incompetent (unable to escape Knuckles with the Master Emerald intact, needs to be rescued by Shadow, nearly falls to her death after tripping over her own two feet). Spy Rouge is more task oriented, successfully infiltrates a criminal conspiracy to take over the world, and even has Shadow at a (brief) disadvantage when she reveals (part) of the truth about Project Shadow.

I actually liked Spy Rouge better (if that wasn't already clear, lol), so of course Sega decided to focus on the Thief side of her character instead. Unfortunately, she was introduced in the same game as Shadow and so the powers that be have decided she shouldn't be anything more than that secondary character's support staff, so it's a moot point really.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, charmsb said:

I think theres a lot of details that everyone forgets from Sonic Battle lol. I only learnt a couple days ago that Chaos is in that game.

Well, it's something I'm hoping it on the cards again. If IDW could bring back Tail's workshop from Sonic Battle and Gemerl, maybe SEGA would be willing to play ball and let Rouge be a casino operator again when she's not doing superhero stuff with the gang.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Kuzu said:

As for Rouge herself; yes, she was blatantly designed with sex appeal in mind

It kinda makes sense considering she's a classic femme fatale type. Like Catwoman or any femsle character in a 50's detective film.

Which in hindsight might explain her 4Kids voice. Her actress was most likely told to go for a Aubrey Hepburn type of husky voice which admittedly didn't work but I can see what they were going for. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Mephiles' Disciple said:

, I’ve never seen any positive comments about this character 

What? Shes arguably as popular as Shadow is if not more, shes certainly not treated by furry artists, modern fans, and shippers in negative way, again she overshadows(no pun intended) Shadow in being more popular to draw than Shadow in adult nsfw sites and twitter, possibly she gets more positivity than him nowadays. Shadow however gets the controversial press and is treated like a character you hate or love in meaningless character debates and has the is a hub for promoting bad art and ugly fetishes onto. Rouge gets plenty of love, and for gopd reason shes a pretty shallow 1d and basic character(fem fatale sexy anti hero with sassy independence), its just thay she owns that simcplcity and gets appreciated for it more than she should. Shes a supporting character and you wanting her to be shadows sister or knuckles lover reestablishes that fact that she exists to play a role similar to amy, someone that cares about the main character males and possibly be their humanizing shoulder. 

Shes overrated imo, more than amy. Shes nothing without Shadow and arguably Knuckles to push their characterization and relevance. I used to ship her with Shadow, but im glad shes not as used with him, as hes better than her as a character and more popular than her without her being a staple of his lore. Plus they arent friends anymore.

• Way Past Cool 1

4 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Cosign that making Rouge both a jewel thief and a government spy was an awkward fit for the character. In Sonic Adventure 2, it really feels like Jewel Thief Rouge and Spy Rouge are different characters. Thief Rouge is vain, petty, and frankly incompetent (unable to escape Knuckles with the Master Emerald intact, needs to be rescued by Shadow, nearly falls to her death after tripping over her own two feet). Spy Rouge is more task oriented, successfully infiltrates a criminal conspiracy to take over the world, and even has Shadow at a (brief) disadvantage when she reveals (part) of the truth about Project Shadow.

I agree. Honestly, the writing as well as basic character ideas during the Adventure era was kinda weird and ill-thought out in general. Making Rouge both a selfish thief and a seemingly devoted government agent is one example, making Shadow a dark twin of Sonic in terms of looks and abilities but never giving so much as a hint as to how this came to be is another. And then they went and made Shadow work for the same organization that killed Maria and made him hate humanity in the first place. So it's like yeah, we all love how the Adventure era games managed to create a feeling of actual stakes and how the Sonic universe took itself seriously, but it was also a time of narrative ideas that we now take for granted because we're so used to them but that's really undercooked when you stop to think about it.

Her Midwest accent suited her better (Lani Minella's voice in SA2 and Heroes). Karen Strassman did a good job of it too, but I felt that she was trying way too hard to sound like Bunnie from SatAM in Team Racing.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Kuzu said:

So yea, it does kind of suck that she's relegated to a supporting role most of the time. If nothing else, it feels pretty firmly established that she's the mature one between her and Shadow, and pretty much the only one who can reign him in. So while she may always play second fiddle to Shadow, at the very least we know who's calling the shots in Team Dark. I find that much more compelling because its just interesting for a character as independent and aggressive as Shadow, forced to defer to someone wiser than him to be a good way at making him more tolerable...especially nowadays. 

It's just a shame that the comics are really the only place she can shine. Sega need to stop being pussy and just give us a Team Dark game already.  

1. i have played all the games with rouge in them, and i have never see her act more mature than Shadow or more in control with her quirks.

2. She lead Shadow in one game, in the other shes following Shadows lead, its always Shadow that she use to support and stay direct to, not the other way around.

3. I think we have things mixed up. Shadow listens to people that benefit himz Rouges advice and orders are always disobeyed by him. Possibly why she complains he never is any fun to work with or to date.

I'd say pretty much all the vocies during the Adventure era were great (even if the actual line reading often sounded terrible probably due to bad voice directing). Even to this day I tend to compare the characters newer voices to whether they stack up to their original Adventure era ones.

• Thumbs Up 1