Awoo.

I've gotta be so much more than this

Agent York

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2009/10/19/hmmmmm/

Sonic Blognik recently put up a blog entry showing a single image of Bentley Jones singing with no information linking to a video listed down as "So Much More". It being on the Sonic Blognik, it has to do with an upcoming Sonic game. It would either have to be

-SEGA and Sonic All-Star Racing

-Project Needlemouse

-Unconfirmed 20th Anniversary Sonic game (Project Needlemouse does not come out on Sonic's 20th...)

This is being discussed in the Project Needlemouse topic but there is no evidence at all this has anything to do with Needlemouse and this is a topic worth discussing. What do you think this song is going to be for, what is SEGA cooking up? Here's the lyrics for any interested:

I've got to be so much more than this, and I'm gonna' try!

I'm cooler than twisted kinds of bliss, with saying goodbye!

Cause I can't move back, no more turning back, till I find my way back home!

And I know, I've got to be so much more than this, but what can I beeee~

If not meeee you can't map out my des-ti-ny! Gotta' be lost before I can be found!

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper

HOLAS:

That sounds so SASASR....

Also, BJ is beign awesome as always =D

I readed in seganerds that this sounds like an ending theme (also a lot of critics, ble'h... tastes are tastes...) but it actually sounds like the main theme of ASR, go look at the trailers, the beat is almost the same :P (except in the announcement trailer)

Edited by imarafan

Like I said in the Needlemouse topic, the lyrics seem very appropriate for it to be Needlemouse's theme; it's got Sonic's philosophy of always moving forward combined with "coming home" sort of thing that'd fit with Needlemouse being a revival of classic Sonic.

I do agree that the car sound seems to hint at SaSASR with all the subtlety of a brick to the face, tho'.

• Thumbs Up 1

You forgot, "Drohp da geetar."

As for the inclusion for a game, I'll bet SSASR. Although what I'd really like to hear is Richard Jacques doing the soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 1

...why does everyone automatically assume it is Sonic related? Just because it's on the Sonic Blognik? The webmaster of that site happens to be friends Bentley, and has done articles about his Trans//lation cd that have nothing to do with Sonic. So you cannot simply assume that this track has anything to do with Sega.

UPDATE: Even more evidence that it is likely to not be a sonic track: go to his official website, http://www.bentleyjones.com/. The vid is on the intro page. Would he be promoting the song so much if it was just going to be another track on a SEGA game? I'm expecting the announcement of a brand new English CD.

*we now return you to the original post...*

That's not to say that it definitely ISN'T, though. However, if it is, I cannot for the life of me expect what it would be used for.

True Colors is almost instantly out, because that CD will only be featuring the original themes of the characters and possibly some covers, nothing brand new.

I'd hesitate from saying Needlenose as well, for the simple fact that the song just does not fit Sonic's personality at all. When have you ever heard him say he needs to be stronger, or that he needs to change at all? It goes completely against the personality specified for him not only in the games but in his current theme song, "It Doesn't Matter." If multiple characters are playable in the game though, it would work very well for Tails though.

As for SEGA and Sonic All-Star Racing... I just don't see SEGA contracting a song with lyrics for such a game. It would fit alright, though, as long as it was the game's song or another character besides Sonic's theme (though I think SEGA would have learned better than to try and give almost every character in a racing game a vocal song after the debacle that was F-Zero GX).

Of all the possibilities unmentioned... I'd have to go with an unannounced game. The track just doesn't fit with any other possibility but that, and of course my first opinion, that the song isn't SEGA related at all.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

I'd hesitate from saying Needlenose as well, for the simple fact that the song just does not fit Sonic's personality at all. When have you ever heard him say he needs to be stronger, or that he needs to change at all? It goes completely against the personality specified for him not only in the games but in his current theme song, "It Doesn't Matter."
I disagree. I feel It Doesn't Matter is about Sonic always following his inner drive no matter what happens or what anyone thinks of it. He's not going to change himself just to fit someone else's ideal, but that doesn't mean he'll never change; it's just got to come from inside himself rather than outside.

And besides, "always move forward" doesn't mesh too well with "never, ever change".

...why does everyone automatically assume it is Sonic related? Just because it's on the Sonic Blognik? The webmaster of that site happens to be friends Bentley, and has done articles about his Trans//lation cd that have nothing to do with Sonic. So you cannot simply assume that this track has anything to do with Sega.

UPDATE: Even more evidence that it is likely to not be a sonic track: go to his official website, http://www.bentleyjones.com/. The vid is on the intro page. Would he be promoting the song so much if it was just going to be another track on a SEGA game? I'm expecting the announcement of a brand new English CD.

*we now return you to the original post...*

That's not to say that it definitely ISN'T, though. However, if it is, I cannot for the life of me expect what it would be used for.

True Colors is almost instantly out, because that CD will only be featuring the original themes of the characters and possibly some covers, nothing brand new.

I'd hesitate from saying Needlenose as well, for the simple fact that the song just does not fit Sonic's personality at all. When have you ever heard him say he needs to be stronger, or that he needs to change at all? It goes completely against the personality specified for him not only in the games but in his current theme song, "It Doesn't Matter." If multiple characters are playable in the game though, it would work very well for Tails though.

As for SEGA and Sonic All-Star Racing... I just don't see SEGA contracting a song with lyrics for such a game. It would fit alright, though, as long as it was the game's song or another character besides Sonic's theme (though I think SEGA would have learned better than to try and give almost every character in a racing game a vocal song after the debacle that was F-Zero GX).

Of all the possibilities unmentioned... I'd have to go with an unannounced game. The track just doesn't fit with any other possibility but that, and of course my first opinion, that the song isn't SEGA related at all.

This was first brought to our attention through a sonic blog and if you go to Jone's personal blog he even says that there is a big hint for a teaser in the video. I think if Jones was teasing for a personal album then it would have just been the song and not some hidden message. We have already received one teaser from Sega, why would throw another one completely unrelated to the last unless they're just mean. Also this is just the beginning of the song, the main part has yet to be revealed. It might make sense later down the road why they didn't want to show us more of it.

And if you were promoting an album would you get people excited with the intro to a song...? Probably wouldn't work to well, so you would want to show them the meat of the song, where the build up has happened and it is at its climax. Since it is game related though, the lyrics might reveal to much. In this case obviously the lyrics in the beginning don't give us any huge clues. Just more guessing games, which to some extent are more fun then sonic 06. :D

Actually, Sonic fans seem to really enjoy trying to connect song lyrics with the Sonic series or Sega as a company. Nothing unusual here.

^ Well really only because they started using thematic lyrics that refer to characters at about SA1.

Or maybe even Sonic R. "You know you have to surviiive. You've got to keep the dream aliiive."

HOLAS:

Would he be promoting the song so much if it was just going to be another track on a SEGA game? I'm expecting the announcement of a brand new English CD.

He is a fan... I think he could do it. xD

As for the inclusion for a game, I'll bet SSASR. Although what I'd really like to hear is Richard Jacques doing the soundtrack.

It could be a collaboration, the fact BJ is singing doesn't mean Jacques isn't composing/playing/cooking/etc...

But now that I think about it:

The fact AAUK posted this in the blognik instead of the SEGA Blog adds points to your statement...

Then again, an english CD would be even more awesome than just a song :) (so it's win/win for me).

I'd like to point one thing out to add to the fact this may very well may be a Sonic song.

At the end copyrights, apparently Remix Factory helped make the song. You may remember there work in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Rivals games.

^ You do realize that Bentley Jones is a former Remix Factory employee, right? He left to find his own career. I don't know exactly how high up he was in the company, but he was pretty well-known in Remix Factory, so it makes perfect since that BJ would be doing a lot of work with them still, even if he's now a separate entity.

That, and even without Remix Factory involved, he's still been doing a lot of Sonic-related stuff after he left and took on the artist name "Bentley Jones."

Judging from the lyrics, the character this song would fit the most is Silver. Or possibly Blaze, if it weren't for the fact that it's a guy singing it.

I'm fairly sure the song isn't Sonic-related; even if it was, though, why would it be for Needlemouse, of all things? Isn't it supposed to be moving away from the elements of the modern games? I'm pretty sure the classic games didn't have vocal theme songs, with the obvious exception of Sonic CD.

I'm fairly sure the song isn't Sonic-related; even if it was, though, why would it be for Needlemouse, of all things? Isn't it supposed to be moving away from the elements of the modern games? I'm pretty sure the classic games didn't have vocal theme songs, with the obvious exception of Sonic CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4CXfhqBI8

And some more comparisons...

And as you said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOdvu2bK4Bs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R7zb_uTH1U

And then there's that whole Sonic 3 + Michael Jackson conspiracy. :)

(I know, not all technically theme songs, but you get the point.)

Edited by Indigo Dude

If this is for Needlemouse, there would no longer be any point in being excited for it. If Sega were to to think that this is actually a fitting addition it means they haven't learned a thing and still can't find their ass with both hands.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It sounds to me like the engine sound at the end of this video is very similar to the one from the end of thisASR trailer.

But I'd like to ask if we actually have any reason to be sure this song is actually Sega related?

It sounds to me like the engine sound at the end of this video is very similar to the one from the end of thisASR trailer.

But I'd like to ask if we actually have any reason to be sure this song is actually Sega related?

Besides it being on Sonic's official blog and the song artist hinting at it himself, not at all...

And the fact this guy does music for Sonic series already. Ever heard Dreams of Absolution? Or his version of His World, Escape from the City, Open Your Heart, They Call Me Sonic, or Seven Rings in Hand?

TBH, the character I immediately thought of when I heard this was Tails. o.O Reminded me of his Sa1/2 theme in a weird way. I wish Bentley wouldn't use Autotune so much, though. I think this proves he doesn't actually need it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4CXfhqBI8

And some more comparisons...

And as you said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOdvu2bK4Bs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R7zb_uTH1U

And then there's that whole Sonic 3 + Michael Jackson conspiracy. :)

(I know, not all technically theme songs, but you get the point.)

Holy crap, a whole album of official remixed classic-Sonic music that i've never even heard of! Why is this stuff so damn obscure? Seems to me like it should be as appreciated by us fans as much Crush 40's covers of modern Sonic songs...

HOLAS:

Besides it being on Sonic's official blog and the song artist hinting at it himself, not at all...

And the fact this guy does music for Sonic series already. Ever heard Dreams of Absolution? Or his version of His World, Escape from the City, Open Your Heart, They Call Me Sonic, or Seven Rings in Hand?

Yeah... But that doesn't mean it's the only thing he does... Ever heard TRANS//LATION? Or Gaia Promageddon? Or Phunkstar Radio Mix?

BTW I think it's a SASAR song... But there is no evidence to back this up :(

(then again, an english CD would be even better)

HOLAS:

Yeah... But that doesn't mean it's the only thing he does... Ever heard TRANS//LATION? Or Gaia Promageddon? Or Phunkstar Radio Mix?

BTW I think it's a SASAR song... But there is no evidence to back this up :(

(then again, an english CD would be even better)

Yes, have heard of those, I'm actually a fairly big fan of Bentley's work now. Bought one of his CD's and got the rest...*cough*

Still though, point is, it's on the Sonic Blog. Nothing would be on the Sonic blog if it wasn't Sonic related. Simple as that, really.

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, have heard of those, I'm actually a fairly big fan of Bentley's work now. Bought one of his CD's and got the rest...*cough*

Still though, point is, it's on the Sonic Blog. Nothing would be on the Sonic blog if it wasn't Sonic related. Simple as that, really.

Excuse me, but can you PLEASE STFU? I realize there is a chance that the song is Sonic related, but you aren't doing anything to back up your case. The webmaster of the Sonic blog is personal friends with Bentley Jones, and has interviewed him and put said interviews on his site; why WOULDN'T he advertise a new song of his friend's. regardless of its relevance to Sonic? The same video that is on the Sonic Blognik is also on the front page of Bently's own site; I'm willing to bet it was there before the Blognik, but that wouldn't even make a difference.

Until we know for sure, why don't we just stop this argument? Guessing is fun, to a point, but people going around stating their opinion as fact is just complete bullshit, and I for one cannot stand it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2