Awoo.

Do you think the Sonic series is kind of sexist?

SnooPigu

Yeah, I’d say so. With the exception of Blaze, the gals aren’t that  useful. Then again, in the new games, Nobody’s useful. I really do wish that the guys and the gals had equal playing field and that… sonic wasn’t this op?? I mean, I know he’s the MC n’ all but like, goddamn 99% percent of the cast doesn’t even come close to him.

53 minutes ago, The-Aman20 said:

Then again, in the new games, Nobody’s useful

Doesn't that contradict your conclusion?

10 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

The movies are structured fine for the most part, but even if that was true, do you really think we should exacerbate the issue by introducing even more characters than Sonic 2 did?

With Sonic 2 I got the sense that plotting and stucture aren't much of a concern compared to fitting in as much marketable characters and fanservice as the budget would allow. If Sonic 3 leaned even harder in this direction I can't see the target audience complaining that much.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

With Sonic 2 I got the sense that plotting and stucture aren't much of a concern compared to fitting in as much marketable characters and fanservice as the budget would allow. If Sonic 3 leaned even harder in this direction I can't see the target audience complaining that much.

They added an antagonist and the character they teased in the previous movie, and I rarely found the fanservice to be intrusive.

14 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Doesn't that contradict your conclusion?

No? Nobody’s useful in the newer games so I said that I’d like for there to be an equal playing field for all the cast

6 hours ago, The-Aman20 said:

No? Nobody’s useful in the newer games so I said that I’d like for there to be an equal playing field for all the cast

If your reasoning for thinking it's sexist is because the newer games don't make the female characters useful, then it's not sexist because you're saying that nobody, including the male characters, are useful.

That'd be an anti-Sonic's friends bias, not an anti-female bias.

On 4/30/2022 at 6:06 AM, batson said:

I know that we've had female characters in the Sonic movies, but other than Longclaw no anthros. In other words, no prominent female anthros, like major characters. And really, while the human cop guy (I forget his name) was basically the second main character in the first movie and from what I've understood also has a big role in the second movie (I haven't seen it yet), I think the fact of the matter is that with the obvious exception of Robotnik, the anthros are what sells these movies, and are basically the faces of the series. With this in mind, at least one prominent female anthro, someone who can feature on posters and merch and such, is required by the next movie. Honestly, I'd say that despite not making a cameo in the second movie, Amy is just as much of a guarantee for the third movie as Shadow is.

Indeed, but I personally don’t count Longclaw as an anthro even if she can talk. She’s just too… out there for this franchise, even if she is important. I do appreciate how Rachel got more screen time in the second one and even scored a lucky hit or two, but we may need more than just lucky hits. The Knuckles series might be a good opportunity to add more. 

23 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

If your reasoning for thinking it's sexist is because the newer games don't make the female characters useful, then it's not sexist because you're saying that nobody, including the male characters, are useful.

That'd be an anti-Sonic's friends bias, not an anti-female bias.

That’s true. I was saying that the series has been sexist in the past but as of recently has switched to being… anti-sonic’s friends. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That’s not recent; it’s been that way in the games since 2008-ish.

• Thumbs Up 1