Awoo.

Apple trying to steal Windows 7 launch Hype

ShadiWulf

THANK YOU ALL MIGHTY STEVE MOBS!!!

MAGIC MOUSE

apple-magic-mouse-small.jpg

Ready for some more Apple news? Good. Say goodbye to the Mighty Mouse (for reasons beyond those legal entanglements) -- the Magic Mouse has arrived. Hate buttons or moving parts? So does Apple, and nothing exemplifies the company's march towards a buttonless future more than this "two button" mouse, which has one button and no scroll wheel -- just a multitouch surface (a hard acrylic) across the top. With the Magic Mouse you're able to do familiar gestures from the Mac trackpad playbook such as two-finger swipes, but you can also do single-finger horizontal and vertical scrolling, complete with a software-based inertia. Sorry kids, no pinch zoom. The wireless device boasts a four-month battery life, and will be available today.

MAC MINI AND MAC MINI SERVER

apple-mac-mini-600.jpg

Apple's high-noon extravaganza is touching just about every aspect of the company's consumer lineup today, and considering just how long it's been (okay, so maybe not that long) since the Mac mini saw any love, we're thrilled that it's amongst the crowd seeing updates today. The new $599 Mac mini configuration gets fitted with a 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU (up from 2GHz), 2GB of RAM (up from 1GB) and a 160GB hard drive (up from 120GB). The $799 build features a 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory (up from 2GB) and a 320GB hard drive (same as before), and both machines sport the same GeForce 9400M GPU and 8x SuperDrive as they did in March. The most intriguing news on the mini front, however, has nothing to do with the standard rigs.

Apple is today introducing an all new machine in the Mac mini server, a system that's formed in the exact same enclosure as the standard mini but without an optical drive of any kind. Instead, there's room for an additional hard drive, and the $999 model ships with two 500GB HDDs. It also includes Snow Leopard Server (unlimited clients), a 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB of RAM, a GeForce 9400M GPU and the same port assortment (meaning no mini-DisplayPort) as found on the other guys. It's hard to say just how well something like this will do, but we're guessing Apple doesn't much mind if it remains a niche product.

THINNER; UniBody MacBook

unibody-apple-macbook_small.jpg

Like a bat out of hell, Apple has just shuttled a new, unibody MacBook in the gadget world's direction. The new model -- which looks like an arctic, glossy version of the familiar 13-inch MacBook Pro line -- will be landing in stores today (yes, today), with a familiar price tag: $999. In terms of changes, besides the new, high-test plastic casing (built in the same fashion as the aluminum MacBook Pros) the 13-incher boasts a LED-backlit display, new glass multitouch trackpad, and a built-in, "7 hour" battery. Inside the single SKU will be a 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM (upgradable to 8GB), an NVIDIA 9400M GPU, 250GB hard drive and the old standby SuperDrive. We had a chance to play around with the laptop, and it's pretty snazzy for a hunk of plastic. The surface is super slick (AKA super fingerprint friendly), though the base of the laptop utilizes a soft-touch, non-slip surface that's nice to handle. The display certainly is brighter and better looking than the previous model, though the one on the desk we saw was slightly dimmer than we would prefer -- though in its defense it was sitting right next to a super bright iMac. As stated, the new model can be picked up right this very second at stores around the globe, and we'll have a much closer look very soon -- so stay tuned! A full spec breakdown is after the break.

• 13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1280 x 800 glossy display;

• 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;

• 1066 MHz front-side bus;

• 2GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB;

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

• 250 GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

• a slot-load 8X SuperDrive® with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);

• Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);

• built-in AirPort Extreme® 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

• Gigabit Ethernet port;

• built-in iSight® video camera;

• two USB 2.0 ports;

• one audio line in/out port, supporting optical digital out and analog in/out;

• glass Multi-Touch trackpad;

• built-in, 60WHr lithium polymer battery; and

• 60 Watt MagSafe® Power Adapter.

iMacs updated to 16:9 displays and Core i5

new-oct-2009-apple-imac_sma.jpg

After months of speculation, Apple has unveiled some completely new iMacs, featuring 21.5-inch and 27-inch 16:9 displays and all-aluminum enclosures. The new widescreen IPS panels are LED-backlit and have 178-degree viewing angles -- the 21.5-inch iMac has a 1,920 x 1,080 resolution, while the 27-incher comes in at a staggering 2,560 x 1,440. Ports are the same as the outgoing model with the addition of an SD card slot and video-in on the 27-inch (via a special cable), and the wireless keyboard is now standard (as is the all-new Magic Mouse). Pricing tiers haven't changed much: there's a low-end $1,199 21.5-inch model with a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB drive, a $1,499 model that bumps things up to 1TB of storage and ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics, while the base 27-inch config starts at $1,699 with the same bumped specs. All of those can be custom-configured with up to a 3.33GHz Core 2 Duo, but it's the top-end $1,999 27-inch model that'll bring the real heat when it ships in November; it's packing a 2.06GHz quad-core Core i5 processor and Radeon HD 4850 graphics. Not a bad little refresh -- but it looks like all you Blu-ray fans are going home alone again. Check the full specs list after the break.

Pricing & Availability

The new 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac and Mac mini lines are now shipping and available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The Intel Core i5 and i7 quad-core iMacs are available for order and will begin shipping this November. Mac mini with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server is available from the Apple Store and Apple's retail stores.

The new 21.5-inch 3.06 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US), includes:

• 21.5-inch 1920 x 1080 LED-backlit display;

• 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache;

• 4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM expandable to 16GB;

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

• 500GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

• a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);

• built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

• built-in iSight video camera;

• Gigabit Ethernet port;

• four USB 2.0 ports;

• one FireWire 800 port;

• SD card slot;

• built-in stereo speakers and microphone; and

• Wireless Apple Keyboard, Magic Mouse.

The new 21.5-inch 3.06 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

• 21.5-inch 1920 x 1080 LED-backlit display;

• ATI Radeon HD 4670 discrete graphics; with 256MB GDDR3;

• 1TB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

• Gigabit Ethernet port;

• four USB 2.0 ports;

• one FireWire 800 port;

• SD card slot;

The new 27-inch 3.06 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,699 (US), includes:

• 27-inch 2560 x 1440 LED-backlit display;

• ATI Radeon HD 4670 discrete graphics; with 256MB GDDR3;

• Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);

• Gigabit Ethernet port;

• four USB 2.0 ports;

• one FireWire 800 port;

• SD card slot;

The new 27-inch 2.66 GHz Core i5 iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

• 27-inch 2560 x 1440 LED-backlit display;

• 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 quad-core processor with 8MB shared L3 cache;

• ATI Radeon HD 4850 discrete graphics; with 512MB GDDR3;

• Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);

• Gigabit Ethernet port;

• four USB 2.0 ports;

• one FireWire 800 port;

• SD card slot;

Build-to-order options for the 27-inch Core i5 quad-core iMac include a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core processor.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/apple/

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So we have a significantly improved iMac and Macbook and two announcements that are practically jokes. I do like the $1700 iMac, though.

Awesome. Been waiting for the new iMac to hit before I delve into another proper computer. My MacBook's been serving me very very well the last two years (better than any PCs I've had to deal with funnily enough - I originally got it for work purposes only), so I'm very keen to get an Apple for my next computer. I won't go via the online store though, will probably get one on HP via PC World or something like I have done in the past. Buy Now Pay Later baby. =)

New mouse sounds intriguing... long as I can right click without hassle and it doesn't naff up scrolling I'll give it a try.

We’ve built a better mouse.

Soniclol.png

Apple doesn't know how to make a mouse to save their lives, and even if they did, OSX has shit mouse support thanks to forced acceleration.

• Thumbs Up 3

Soniclol.png

Apple doesn't know how to make a mouse to save their lives, and even if they did, OSX has shit mouse support thanks to forced acceleration.

Really? I agree that they haven't made a good mouse yet, but crap mouse support? Maybe I'm missing something here, because I'm using my 5-year old wireless mouse hooked to one of the USB ports of my 2-year old MacBook just fine. No drivers or hassle or anything (the whole thing needed me to put in an install disc in Windows just to work right). Not quite sure what you mean by 'forced acceleration' either; you can change how sensitive your mouse movements are via the system settings.

While I'm no Mac user by any means, the specifications on the new models are very impressive. Though I can't help but feel like the power of the i7 would be going to waste if not primarily used for very heavy computing or gaming. That's where it's potential lays.

If I had lots of money to spend.. (:

While I'm no Mac user by any means, the specifications on the new models are very impressive. Though I can't help but feel like the power of the i7 would be going to waste if not primarily used for very heavy computing or gaming. That's where it's potential lays.

Yeah, I agree. With Snow Leopard's Grand Central Dispatch as well, there's the potential to really use the power of those chips beyond anything done before in terms of multitasking and CPU usage. There's just no programs taking advantage of it yet, with only Apple's own pre-loaded applications in Snow Leopard being truly 64-bit. iLife probably won't be until the next revision next year, and iTunes isn't 64-bit yet either (likely in iTunes X or whatever).

What I'd like to see, once Apple gets its 64-bit stride going on, is to start some sort of gaming initiative for Macs, like an iTunes/Games for Windows Browser (but done right) for Mac games. An Apple-built 'Steam', if you like. With games developers rapidly moving from PC development onto consoles primarily, Apple could really hook something up that would revive the home computer gaming industry (beyond, and including the die-hard FPS/dedi server shooters of course).

Dunno if they'd actually do it though, the company's made nothing of an interest in games other than "Oh look, Sims 3" and "Boot Camp". Which is nice and all, but... I guess I just want a modern-day version of the Commodore Amiga days. :3

Until Apple stops suing people who create Hackintoshes and open up their software to other hardware makers (even if it means 2nd party ones), gaming won't occur on the system. And because they won't do that, it won't. There is simply no reason for anyone to really care about gaming on a Mac other than as an afterthought. And I really don't think it would matter how much of a push Apple put behind it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really? I agree that they haven't made a good mouse yet, but crap mouse support? Maybe I'm missing something here, because I'm using my 5-year old wireless mouse hooked to one of the USB ports of my 2-year old MacBook just fine. No drivers or hassle or anything (the whole thing needed me to put in an install disc in Windows just to work right). Not quite sure what you mean by 'forced acceleration' either; you can change how sensitive your mouse movements are via the system settings.

If you don't notice it, it best not to worry about it.

135745-aapl_all_time_high.jpg

I am shocked at how fast AAPL has gone up. Definitely my best stock. I bought a chunk in the 80s earlier this year. I was going to sell this morning but then it took off so I am still holding. I am itching to sell but how much higher is it going to go.. Its crazy.....

$208.50 now...

I think Apple has 2 things to be thankful for the two things 1. the huge hit of the iPhone and the app store lets face it in my opinion the phone wouldn't have been a huge successes without the app store and second the Huge Failure of Vista i think that made alot of people jump over to macs now the question is can Apple hit 300 ?

its funny i do like how today and yesterday Apple Kinda Stole the thunder away from windows and tomorrow I had a felling that's when apple was planning to release there new desktop lineup a while ago Brilliant move by apple.

I’m glad I have Apple stock ^^

Edited by Foxy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Until Apple stops suing people who create Hackintoshes and open up their software to other hardware makers (even if it means 2nd party ones), gaming won't occur on the system. And because they won't do that, it won't. There is simply no reason for anyone to really care about gaming on a Mac other than as an afterthought. And I really don't think it would matter how much of a push Apple put behind it.

The iPhone? Gaming seems to be going pretty well on that slab of 'locked' plastic.

Why would Apple opening up OSX to third party manufacturers make a gaming initiative any more successful? If anything, it would make it fail miserably. What would make a 'PC OSX' version of a game any different to a 'PC Windows' version? And why would any PC game developer rewrite for OSX if a user can run both operating systems on a PC? They'd just tell you to use Windows instead.

That and Apple leaving their operating systems to run on all sorts of third party hardware will result in as many problems as Windows users put up with on a daily basis. It would make Apple less money, as the harmony between hardware and software would be broken, and the OS in itself makes no real money anyway. Piracy isn't as much an issue on Macs as with Windows machines, but it does happen; and if Apple had to rely on OSX software sales to survive (like Windows) they'd be out of business in a heartbeat.

The iPhone? Gaming seems to be going pretty well on that slab of 'locked' plastic.

Completely different set of circumstances that is completely detached from this statement:

What I'd like to see, once Apple gets its 64-bit stride going on, is to start some sort of gaming initiative for Macs, like an iTunes/Games for Windows Browser (but done right) for Mac games. An Apple-built 'Steam', if you like. With games developers rapidly moving from PC development onto consoles primarily, Apple could really hook something up that would revive the home computer gaming industry (beyond, and including the die-hard FPS/dedi server shooters of course).

Why would Apple opening up OSX to third party manufacturers make a gaming initiative any more successful?

Because it would bring Apple costs down or allow a cheaper alternative. That is the only reason that it would have a chance of working, though the points that you brought up make it unlikely even if that happened.

That and Apple leaving their operating systems to run on all sorts of third party hardware will result in as many problems as Windows users put up with on a daily basis. It would make Apple less money, as the harmony between hardware and software would be broken, and the OS in itself makes no real money anyway. Piracy isn't as much an issue on Macs as with Windows machines, but it does happen; and if Apple had to rely on OSX software sales to survive (like Windows) they'd be out of business in a heartbeat.

I said that I knew Apple wouldn't do it. I know full well that moving away from the current business methods would bankrupt the company in months, but it is those same business practices that will prevent games from ever taking off on the system no matter how much Apple attempts to force the issue; let alone in a way that would "revive the home computer gaming industry."

Edited by Tornado

Completely different set of circumstances that is completely detached from this statement:

Your argument implies that the reason Apple can't get a good games initiative going is due to 'locked' technology (or otherwise locked markets, or pricing themselves out of said market - which technically the iPhone does at £400 PAYG), so my response is completely relevant. Different market, same philosophy. Further, the market for the Mac is exactly the same as that for the iPhone and iPod (albeit mixed with the non-Apple followers for the latter two).

Because it would bring Apple costs down or allow a cheaper alternative. That is the only reason that it would have a chance of working, though the points that you brought up make it unlikely even if that happened.

You're talking about making gaming a huge mass market thing by broadening access to any and every device. By that logic, Macs aren't a success because PCs own 89%~ of the home computer market. Hell, even a casual game approach would result in a success, I doubt the millions of 'trendy hipsters' who buy Apple computers for Photoshop are averse to enjoying a game or two every now and then.

Enough people are buying these expensive (perceived value anyway) Macs for even the most trivial things like 'Back to School' so it wouldn't be a stretch to think that, with a flagging and depressed PC gaming community/industry, a "Games for Windows" done right on a Mac would end up as another positive bullet point. Hell, even just an 'App Store' esque program to download released Mac/retro games would be enough for me.

I said that I knew Apple wouldn't do it. I know full well that moving away from the current business methods would bankrupt the company in months, but it is those same business practices that will prevent games from ever taking off on the system no matter how much Apple attempts to force the issue; let alone in a way that would "revive the home computer gaming industry."

I see what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. A games initiative doesn't have to appeal to the self-cannibalising PC market to be successful in its own right. Maybe I was gushing about the "reviving" bit, but I didn't think you were going to take it seriously. Especially as I reference the Commodore Amiga immediately after. =P

Your argument implies that the reason Apple can't get a good games initiative going is due to 'locked' technology (or otherwise locked markets, or pricing themselves out of said market - which technically the iPhone does at £400 PAYG), so my response is completely relevant. Different market, same philosophy. Further, the market for the Mac is exactly the same as that for the iPhone and iPod (albeit mixed with the non-Apple followers for the latter two).

Games on the iPhone are a success first and foremost because they are a part of a greater picture of the App Store, which introduced an ease of accessibility to cell phones that had never been there before. Essentially, its a massive success because Apple was the first to get their foot into an untapped market, and for the most part they are still the only one in it.

There also never was a dedicated system to make games for as far as mobile devices go before the iPhone, so that standardization has made games an easier priority because developers don't have to fritter about worrying about compatibility with other phone models.

Neither of these are reasons to assume that a similar service on actual Apple computers would be a similar success.

You're talking about making gaming a huge mass market thing by broadening access to any and every device. By that logic, Macs aren't a success because PCs own 89%~ of the home computer market.

I'm not talking about that, actually. I'm purely talking about price of Macs versus PCs and the impact of such an PC gamers.

I'm going to whittle down the rest of your post to this bit here, because that is where I think the misunderstanding comes from:

Hell, even a casual game approach would result in a success, I doubt the millions of 'trendy hipsters' who buy Apple computers for Photoshop are averse to enjoying a game or two every now and then.

I'm not saying that casual games and whatnot wouldn't be a success if introduced, nor am I saying that people who buy Apples wouldn't want to play games on them if they could. The situation for this would be much like when Apple said the iPhone was the definitive handheld for games and everyone just rolled their eyes at them; because as you said, its more of a bullet point. And that is the problem in itself, because for computer gamers it is the opposite way around.

When I picture in my mind a computer gamer, I don't see them particularly caring what the hell Apple does for games on their systems because I don't see them buying their systems. The benefits are just not there for that group of people, and even though they are the vast minority of PC users they are still what most PC games are targeted at. And for that reason alone I don't see a Steam-style Apple Store being particularly important in the grand scheme of things because I don't see any developers actually supporting it with real releases (barring stuff like Sims games and whatnot).

That being said, now I don't know if you were joking or not in the initial post on this subject, and every post I've made has been in response to only a couple of points in said post, so I probably wasted my breath for nothing.

Edited by Tornado

$1700? ffffff No offence to Mac users. But really? Oh and Foxy, yes I'm fully aware we've been through this whole stint before about me complaining about the price.

Oh and Foxy, yes I'm fully aware we've been through this whole stint before about me complaining about the price.
You must be working in the burger king, poor little guy ..its sad.... someone needs a hug :3

If you aren't happy with the price of Apple computers then they give you plenty of options by going elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Apple opening up their operating system to 3rd parties won't really allow them to break into the games market because they would still have to convince developers to use Open GL instead of Direct X.

It would also screw up their marketing scheme. They're not selling a computer, they're selling a magic box that will transform you're life! If you could put it on any computer, it becomes $200 Linux.

Oh, and here's The Onion's coverage.

Not really, of course

Edit: And I would actually chalk up the success of the iPhone to a somewhat simpler trait. Whenever you type on one, the key you are currently pressing moves up to be visible above your finger. I'm positive Apple has a patent on this, and as long as they do, no one else will be able to make a touch screen keyboard as good. It also has the lolmagic thing going for it as well.

Edited by Phos

I can't understand all the Japanese hoop-la around the thing but god's do I ever want that burger.

Seven Meat Patties! Now I am in business.

You must be working in the burger king, poor little guy ..its sad.... someone needs a hug :3

It's said that PC users are arrogant, but fuck me, that there is some class-A asshattery.

If having more money than sense, along with being so incredibly hip it's almost painful are prerequisites for being able to buy Apple's shit, then I will almost certainly never own any Apple product.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's said that PC users are arrogant, but fuck me, that there is some class-A asshattery.

If having more money than sense, along with being so incredibly hip it's almost painful are prerequisites for being able to buy Apple's shit, then I will almost certainly never own any Apple product.

When comparing prices, you MUST compare equal components!

There was someone early on in this board who was trying to compare a Mac Pro (Workstation class!) with a run of the mill desktop config! Sorry, but this is not a valid comparison. Go to Dell's site and configure a WORKSTATION with the SAME processor and components as a Mac Pro and you will see that the Mac Pro is pretty competative.

Now, compare the current base iMac with a Dell, using the same components, INCLUDING a 22" screen. Pretty comparable.

Do the same with a fully decked out iMac -- Core i7 2.8, and a 27" screen... The iMac is cheaper!!!!!

Sure, you can build a PC, configure one without the screen... Cheaper. So what!!

The iMac offers a VERY POWERFUL, ALL IN ONE, BEATIFULLY DESIGNED, computer that is SILENT, has NO Virus issues, and runs a SEAMLESS Suite of applications STABLEY.

That last part is very important! Someone asked what you can do with OSX that you cant do on Windows 7. Here is you answer:

With OSX you have an easy-to-use SEAMLESS suite of applications: OSX-iCal-Address Book-Mail-iPhoto-iMovie-iTunes-iDVD-iWEB ...They all work together, sharing data and supporting each other. It is AMAZING! There is NOTHING like it on Windows, not even if you buy each of the individual applications! Believe me, I use both at home. I just installed Windows 7 on my PC yesterday.

Windows 7 is nice. I like it.

But it just does not compare to OSX with iLife. And the iMac is just unmatched in the PC world. I challenge ANYONE to find an all-in-one PC that matches the features of the base iMac for a better price than the base iMac!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

When comparing prices, you MUST compare equal components!

There was someone early on in this board who was trying to compare a Mac Pro (Workstation class!) with a run of the mill desktop config! Sorry, but this is not a valid comparison. Go to Dell's site and configure a WORKSTATION with the SAME processor and components as a Mac Pro and you will see that the Mac Pro is pretty competative.

Now, compare the current base iMac with a Dell, using the same components, INCLUDING a 22" screen. Pretty comparable.

Do the same with a fully decked out iMac -- Core i7 2.8, and a 27" screen... The iMac is cheaper!!!!!

Sure, you can build a PC, configure one without the screen... Cheaper. So what!!

The iMac offers a VERY POWERFUL, ALL IN ONE, BEATIFULLY DESIGNED, computer that is SILENT, has NO Virus issues, and runs a SEAMLESS Suite of applications STABLEY.

That last part is very important! Someone asked what you can do with OSX that you cant do on Windows 7. Here is you answer:

With OSX you have an easy-to-use SEAMLESS suite of applications: OSX-iCal-Address Book-Mail-iPhoto-iMovie-iTunes-iDVD-iWEB ...They all work together, sharing data and supporting each other. It is AMAZING! There is NOTHING like it on Windows, not even if you buy each of the individual applications! Believe me, I use both at home. I just installed Windows 7 on my PC yesterday.

Windows 7 is nice. I like it.

But it just does not compare to OSX with iLife. And the iMac is just unmatched in the PC world. I challenge ANYONE to find an all-in-one PC that matches the features of the base iMac for a better price than the base iMac!

Well spoken :)

But I do love the challenge of building my own pc from ground up. When you get it all working, and when you know what you've built is a powerful machine the feeling you get it's just amazing. Also I love to twinker with the hardware parts, so an all in one pc is not for me :P

As for the virus issue.. well in my experience with Windows ( XP, Vista and now 7 ( from the beta to the final version)) and pc's it all depends on how you take care of your machine. If you know how to defend yourself your pc will have no problems. Heck, my laptop is always connected to the internet, and during these 3 years I've never had any sort of problems. No blue screens of detah, no bugs, no failures, nothing. And the PC I've built also never had any major problem( I had some minor trojan horses once).

Other things that I do love about Windows are that it is rather easy to work with, it's very much versatile ( by this I mean I can use it for both work and gaming and it works very well with both) and lastly, me being a gamer, it's the most gamer friendly.

I don't know if this is entirely true, ( and please, do correct me if I'm worng) but from what I know I think Mac's hardware and software wise are the best for visual artists and for casual users. While Windows is easy to use, if an error pops-up the casual user most likely won't know what to do. With the more stable software Apple as developed the casual users can use it without any problems. Also it's software is more oriented for the casual user because of it's connectivity. I have no problem with the lack of software connectivity with Windows, but many people do think it is an issue.

So in a much shorter form: It all comes down to taste and how much you want to spend and how will you use your machine.

The same way there are crappy pc's there are also excellent pc's. People just need to get informed. And the same goes for Mac's. If your jut going to use it to go to the internet, store and listen to music and little else, then you don't need a super powerful iMac. Get informed on the cheaper versions of the iMac, and they'll do what you want aswell.

$1700? ffffff No offence to Mac users. But really?

If your talking about Mac OS X Snow Leopard then being able to run that instead of windows 7 is easily worth $1700. Years of headaches and frustration isn't worth it.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Surprise surprise. This has devolved into another "Mac's aren't overpriced" argument.

I challenge ANYONE to find an all-in-one PC that matches the features of the base iMac for a better price than the base iMac!

What an absurd proposition.

Edited by Tornado

What an absurd proposition.
Vista + XP = 7

XP mode is a joke and an insult to intelligent buyers everywhere. MS, once again, failing. Look at Windows 7 prices. They didn't cut the price AT ALL? NO!

I'll pay for a mac because I feel more comfortable ordering stuff with my credit card online with one...with my windows machine...I have to reinstall the OS twice a year to keep it running well.

My 7 year old mac laptop still runs like new...and my new mac laptop runs like the wind!

Edited by Foxy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1