Awoo.

What is one Sonic product you would buy on the spot?

Mr. Ion

I hear it commonly said that people should speak with their money, meaning that they inform companies of their interests or opinions on a product by choosing what to purchase. So when it comes to Sonic, what is something that you would drop an unspecified amount of money for as soon as it released? Be it music/vinyls, figures, DVDs, games, etc.

Well firstly if there was anything Sonic Underground related I would buy it on the spot, probably regardless of price. Quite recently I have been rediscovering the show and find it to be quite curious in a number of ways. The bad animation and pacing flew over my head as a child, and I was always really bothered that the siblings never found their mother, or that they included Knuckles but not Tails (in my mind I always just had Cyrus fill that role) but as I've grown a bit older I've come to appreciate the camp and kind o would've liked to see their characters elaborated on. Manic could've been a lot more interesting, being a character with a rough upbringing, and we could've seen Sonic have to deal with losing his parental figures. But enough of my tangent. If Sega were to release some DVD set for all of Sonic Underground, or a CD of all the so-bad-they're-good songs from the series, or basically anything to acknowledge its existence, I would probably buy it. The ultimate guilty pleasure purchase. My FBI agent is always disappointed in me.

Other than that, I'd probably jump on anything related to Sonic R or any other obscure Sonic games. Maybe even prototypes or behind-the-scenes footage, the kind of stuff you see at auctions in fan conventions. Development secrets are always fun. And maybe a box set of chaos emerald merch, not the random plastic toys but like rings with gems to resemble the emeralds or some other gemstone (not necessarily emerald because that's expensive or rare but maybe a quartz or beryl or something) would be cool to buy.

Enough of my rambling though, what is one Sonic product you would buy without a second thought?

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely buy a lot of Sonic funko pops.  I'm a huge funko pop collector and so far, I have a Sonic and Shadow funko pop.  Now, I'm trying to get a Tails funko pop and maybe a Super Silver funko pop.

• Thumbs Up 1

Said it before and say it again. A legit pair of shoes would be an insta-buy.   $100, $200 whatever. I'm sold.

I still can't believe the high quality shoes they made for the movie were made to be extremely limited edition and not mass produced. Hopefully they will fix that in the run up to the next film.

If you want to move into pipe dream territory. I'd die happy if I could buy Sonic's Riders shoes.

• Thumbs Up 4

For me it would be if something from the actual production of the series, such as maybe a piece of concept art, were to find it's way to the market. I own quite a few such pop culture artifacts, everything from animation cells from retro cartoons like He-man and My Little Pony, to movie props like a bill from the pile of cash that Joker burnt in The Dark Knight to a tooth from the animatronic T-rex from Jurassic Park. Something having to do with Sonic would fit nicely in my collection.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, batson said:

For me it would be if something from the actual production of the series, such as maybe a piece of concept art, were to find it's way to the market. I own quite a few such pop culture artifacts, everything from animation cells from retro cartoons like He-man and My Little Pony, to movie props like a bill from the pile of cash that Joker burnt in The Dark Knight to a tooth from the animatronic T-rex from Jurassic Park. Something having to do with Sonic would fit nicely in my collection.

It would be great to own some kind of props from a movie set or some animation cels from an animated series.  I would love to have some concept art cells to Sonic Satam!

• Thumbs Up 2

An artbook that reveals never-before-seen concept art (especially for the games from Adventure through 06 as well as the Storybooks), and gives western adaptations their proper dues with full coverage. Some kind of Archie and/or Fleetway omnibus, covering as much material from each as possible. Even better if they finally include the Lost Hedgehog Tales. A Tikal plush would be cute to own as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s a little late now in terms of ‘useful tech’ but I said for years that if they made a Miles Electric version of the Wii-U gamepad it would have been an insta-buy. I’m not sure if skinning the Switch would have the same effect as it hasn’t quite got the same outline/shape… but who am I kidding I would still buy it if it existed.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, caitash said:

It’s a little late now in terms of ‘useful tech’ but I said for years that if they made a Miles Electric version of the Wii-U gamepad it would have been an insta-buy. I’m not sure if skinning the Switch would have the same effect as it hasn’t quite got the same outline/shape… but who am I kidding I would still buy it if it existed.

Still time to make a Miles Electric variant of the Switch and/or Steam Deck.

Speaking of which, can we get a AAA-budget Tails the Fox spinoff? That'd be an awesome game I'd buy on day one, especially if someone really good like Valve, id Software, or Capcom Dev 1 were the ones developing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard to think of anything too specific, but I will say that at the moment, I am making sure to check the news page to see if we ever get further news on the Whisper plush doll that got leaked a few months back. So I'd say any merch that focuses on more minor characters, since it'll probably be a lot rarer and more unique.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing I'd really want is some miracle release of the Archie series in full reading order from the original mini-series, to the very end with maybe the last few issues that were already worked on/nearly completed before the cancellation ("Mega Drive #3," "Genesis of a Hero, part 4," #293, The Freedom Fighter storyline for Sonic Universe that we have penciled pages for, basically anything for full complete closure). And I'd want it in the format of IDW's hardcover releases for the current Sonic book/TMNT. The only things I'd really be fine with cutting are stuff like the Image crossover (probably the Sabrina one too) and Sonic X (I know X #40 leads into Universe #1 but the latter can be read without it).

I know why we'll never get it, and I personally don't consider the available collections worth collecting due to the variable quality and being incomplete even well before Archie royally fucked everything up mid-2015, but if I got that I'd be satisfied enough to not ever buy another Sonic thing ever again.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

I mean, is it bad that my answer is "a really good game made by Sonic Team, for once"? I'm tired of having to say "I like this game, but overall it's mediocre", or the like. In general it's gotten to the point where I USED to buy almost any non-spinoff (and even some spinoff) Sonic game(s) that was/were released, but now I'm teetering closer than ever to just swearing off the games entirely. Nostalgia towards something is a strong force indeed, to keep me invested in something for this long despite doing almost nothing I've wanted for over a decade.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd probably buy a F4F 50cm resin painted Infinite statue immediately if such thing gets announced lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic the Hedgehog 5. Doesn't have to be called that, doesn't have to be 2D. Just has to be a sequel to the classics that is authentic to the experience of playing those old games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd probably be interested in a fighting game with Sonic characters assuming it was remotely decent (doesn't have to be a masterpiece.)

• Thumbs Up 2

New Archie Sonic issues is the main thing that comes to mind. Probably anything involving classic Western-media exclusive characters, though. Because I would want to signal my support for those characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, Sega DogTagz said:

Said it before and say it again. A legit pair of shoes would be an insta-buy.   $100, $200 whatever. I'm sold.

I still can't believe the high quality shoes they made for the movie were made to be extremely limited edition and not mass produced. Hopefully they will fix that in the run up to the next film.

This, times a gazillion. It's crazy that Sonic red & white running shoes don't exist! 

For another very obvious thing, a new Sonic from the Mania team with all new levels.

Oh sure, tons. I'm sure there's more than what I can list off the top of my head.

First, a new Sonic direct to video, or line of them preferably. Honestly could be just about anything - a sequel to the OVA, a continuation of an animated series like SatAM or Sonic X, even just a collection of the Hesse shorts. I hope that as the online shorts gradually get more money like the voice acting in Rise of the Wisps, that Sega sees this as financially viable.

Second, pretty much any merch based on SatAM/Archie content. Action figures, plush, t-shirts, puzzles, pins, keychains, art books, new comics from IDW, old comics collected by IDW (or anyone else but you get the idea). I'd even settle for vintage merch being put back into circulation like the old Troll books or stuff from Sega World Sydney: give me something, anything I can buy.

Third, Sonic X's japanese version subbed on DVD or Blu-ray. Please, it's been 18 years.

Fourth, a competent, physical port of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 for Switch. I'm not even going to dive into SA3 territory here, I just want to play my favorite Sonic games on my current go to console instead of dragging out either the Dreamcast or the Gamecube. And I don't buy media like games or movies digitally, so sorry I'm not buying them on Steam.

Fifth, a CD/vinyl/blu-ray of the 30th concert. How this wasn't announced the day of or day after it happened confounds me, the fact it still hasn't been is outright baffling.

Sixth, omnibus's of other Sonic printed media - the old manga (translated), Fleetway, the American and British chapter/choose your own adventure books, etc. I've always wanted to own that kind of stuff, but have been dissuaded because they're out of print (mainly Fleetway since I really wanted to collect those back in the days when I was collecting all of Archie's old back issues).

Seventh, a replica of Big's fishing pole and lures from SA1. Just because I want it. I fish sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

A Sonic game that's a spiritual sequel of the Advance series and has a gameplay mainly inspired by Advance 2 specifically; improved level design, better quality, more variety, the same set of characters plus maybe a couple more, and especially hand drawn anime-like animations and backgrounds/foregrounds, with the same visual style as the original Advance games but at high resolution (also more detailed because of that).

I would like if it also has a chao garden, even a simplified one like the Tiny version.

This would be the only Sonic thing that I would buy without thinking.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really-really want more detailed articulated figurines of bigger size than the ones that are currently being sold at stores in the United States. I would definitely buy Figma Sonic (here's Link's figma for reference)

• Thumbs Up 1

A to scale metal sonic that you can control with a remote. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have bought all of First 4 Figures' statues : expensive but great!!...
But there is a collection of (non articulated) figures every SONIC fan should buy : Sonic Boom8 (nothing to do with the TV show) by GNF Toyz and distributed by First 4 Figures!!...
As a huge SONIC fan, they are the figures I had been waiting for decades : gorgeous, very detailed and cheap enough for the incredible quality they have!!...
For the moment, 8 figures are available and they are all part of the "Classic" line of the collection : 2 Sonic(s), Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Super Sonic, Metal Sonic and Eggman in his Eggmobile!!...
And in a few months, the "Modern" part of the collection will start and 8 figures are being produced in the beginning : Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic and Super Sonic!!...
If you don't know the series, look at pictures on the internet!!...
You should all buy them, they are absolutely fantastic and I hope there will be many "waves" for both the Classic and the Modern lines of the collection!!...

So, what SONIC product shall I buy on the spot?!...
Sonic Boom8 figures of course... and an artbook with all Yuji Uekawa's pictures!!...

• Thumbs Up 3