Awoo.

Amateur Games Expo 2021

expansivelovestories

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/07/sage-2021-trailers-got-ambition-and-style/

This upcoming expo has so many non-Sonic games that it feels apt and necessary to have a spot in this forum, especially with how underused the Sonic-only fan games subforum is!  Maybe we should consider this thread as one to discuss the non-Sonic parts of it?  Based on the trailer, this particular expo will somehow make even the best years of console as well as mainline PC releases seem rather threadbare! 

Honestly so many of the non-Sonic games in here appear to be mind-bogglingly excellent.  There are a lot of Nintendo mods displayed throughout!  I am pretty sure there is even a "Yoshi's Island Maker" that appears near the end!  i just found it again, it is at 15:50 and it is actually called Yoshi's Fabrication Station.  there is also something in here called Super Mario 127 which looks very different from anything i have seen before! 

And so many of the personal projects; i think we are all used to seeing trailers and Directs that "build hype"; but in here there is idea after idea that make me feel like i am witnessing games for the first time, way beyond hype!!  Granted, these are all short trailer clips, but certain things can't be faked!  :)   I just realized i didn't even watch with sound on; maybe the trailer soundtrack makes it even better!  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Stoked to try so many games this year, more than I can list here. I'm most looking forward to Project Rascal since I loved Sonic GT.

(As an aside, the music used in the trailer is all phenomenal.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Man some of these games are crazy. I'm gonna be that guy that says WHOA SAGE HAS COME A LONG WAY.

I was surprised to see that car/skating/fighting game here, had no idea that crazy game was sonic adjacent.

I kinda like the ones in here that look clearly inspired by stuff but with original characters/their own weird gameplay twist. I hope people intend to sell some of these amazing projects/work them into full games. 

I'm new to the concept; doesn't SAGE stand for Sonic Amateur Games Expo? If so, why do games unrelated to Sonic show up here? I mean no disrespect, I'm just confused.

9 hours ago, charmsb said:

I'm new to the concept; doesn't SAGE stand for Sonic Amateur Games Expo? If so, why do games unrelated to Sonic show up here? I mean no disrespect, I'm just confused.

It used to be generally Sonic games, but SAGE is larger than before and gives a chance for upcoming developers to show what they got. Alot of these original titles tend to be inspired by Sonic mostly as well, so there's that also.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see there are some recurring games from 2020 showcased here (fech the ferret). Fully expected Sonic Galactic to show new stuff on SAGE 2021. 

16 hours ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

It used to be generally Sonic games, but SAGE is larger than before and gives a chance for upcoming developers to show what they got. Alot of these original titles tend to be inspired by Sonic mostly as well, so there's that also.

Yeah, I can see many are definitely Sonic inspired.

I'm most excited for Project Rascal, made by the same guys who did Sonic GT - my all-time favorite Sonic game and one of my favorite games of all time. Other than that, a lot of these projects look stellar and polished. Not what I would expect from an amateur event.