Awoo.

Anyone else think Metal Sonic's getting stale?

Nintenboi

From what I remember, Metal Sonic was pretty decent in Rise of Lyric. He looked more menacing than most games he's been in and actually did stuff plot wise. 

• 4 weeks later...
RadicalLaRuby

Yeah, Metal at this point is reduced to race/fight guy, like current Shadow but without edgy one liners.

I enjoy his small hints of having a personality believing himself to be a better Sonic, but it doesn't seem like Sega wishes to capitalize on that idea, much like the other currently stagnated characters.

Dr. Mechano

Just give him some more variety.

Imagine Eggman using Metal’s shape-shifting powers from Heroes to his advantage in a story. Have Metal disguise himself as Eggman while the real Eggman is somewhere else, as a clever diversion tactic. Heck, have Metal disguise himself as one of the heroes or even Sonic specifically. There’s so much you can do with those abilities.

The traditional race/boss combo is still fine, but I think Metal has it in him to be Eggman’s stealth/espionage guy too, which could be a fun angle to explore with the character.

I feel like focusing on the shapeshifting would be weird as Metal's meant to be a copy of one specific character and he's got that whole "I am the real Sonic" obession. Unless they wanted to take him in a wildly new direction (and I think we all know they don't) I don't think it really lines up thematically.

Could make for good if angsty fanfic, though. Strip the "Sonic" out of Metal Sonic and see how he struggles to define himself without it, when copying is all he knows.

Dr. Mechano
10 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

Reminder that the guy didn't canonically appear in a main game since Heroes.

Generations is a main game, and - by virtue of being a platformer in the same vein as the Genesis games - I’m gonna consider Mania a main game too.

Also Sonic 4, but that still takes place before Heroes I guess.

And I guess he was retroactively added to Sonic Colors, which is definitely a main game.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Generations is a main game, and - by virtue of being a platformer in the same vein as the Genesis games - I’m gonna consider Mania a main game too.

Also Sonic 4, but that still takes place before Heroes I guess.

And I guess he was retroactively added to Sonic Colors, which is definitely a main game.

I said canonically though. Can I be precisely annoying?

Generations it was only Metal from Sonic CD.

Forces he was a phantom ruby illusion.

Colors Ultimate is not a new game and he doesn't appear in cutscenes.

TSR and Free Riders are spin-offs. Mario & Sonic Olympics is a crossover which is non canon. I also consider Sonic 4 non canon maybe but that is just me.

Mania counts but that is still another continuity according to Sega, just like Boom.

I stand technically correct somehow. But yeah he was used...

And I might argue that Colors Rise of the Wisps is canon.

Dr. Mechano
20 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

I also consider Sonic 4 non canon maybe but that is just me.

It’s a platformer and it doesn’t contradict anything, so I don’t see any reason not to consider it both main-series and canonical (I list those two things separately since I think spinoffs can be canon, like Battle, Riders, etc.)

Dr. Mechano
2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I think he means the current version of Metal as opposed to the classic version.

Sonic 4 is a “modern-style” game though. Surely it counts as current Metal, as does Colors.

I get these appearances aren’t much, but they’re not nothing.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Sonic 4 is a “modern-style” game though. Surely it counts as current Metal, as does Colors.

I get these appearances aren’t much, but they’re not nothing.

Sonic 4 also implies its a sequel to Sonic CD despite taking place after Heroes.

Dr. Mechano
1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Sonic 4 also implies its a sequel to Sonic CD despite taking place after Heroes.

I think Sonic 4 is meant to be before Heroes actually?

I seem to remember some official source or another placing the game toward the very beginning of the “Adventure” era, but I could be wrong.