Awoo.

Anyone else think Metal Sonic's getting stale?

Nintenboi

From what I remember, Metal Sonic was pretty decent in Rise of Lyric. He looked more menacing than most games he's been in and actually did stuff plot wise. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Metal at this point is reduced to race/fight guy, like current Shadow but without edgy one liners.

I enjoy his small hints of having a personality believing himself to be a better Sonic, but it doesn't seem like Sega wishes to capitalize on that idea, much like the other currently stagnated characters.

Just give him some more variety.

Imagine Eggman using Metal’s shape-shifting powers from Heroes to his advantage in a story. Have Metal disguise himself as Eggman while the real Eggman is somewhere else, as a clever diversion tactic. Heck, have Metal disguise himself as one of the heroes or even Sonic specifically. There’s so much you can do with those abilities.

The traditional race/boss combo is still fine, but I think Metal has it in him to be Eggman’s stealth/espionage guy too, which could be a fun angle to explore with the character.

I feel like focusing on the shapeshifting would be weird as Metal's meant to be a copy of one specific character and he's got that whole "I am the real Sonic" obession. Unless they wanted to take him in a wildly new direction (and I think we all know they don't) I don't think it really lines up thematically.

Could make for good if angsty fanfic, though. Strip the "Sonic" out of Metal Sonic and see how he struggles to define himself without it, when copying is all he knows.

10 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

Reminder that the guy didn't canonically appear in a main game since Heroes.

Generations is a main game, and - by virtue of being a platformer in the same vein as the Genesis games - I’m gonna consider Mania a main game too.

Also Sonic 4, but that still takes place before Heroes I guess.

And I guess he was retroactively added to Sonic Colors, which is definitely a main game.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Generations is a main game, and - by virtue of being a platformer in the same vein as the Genesis games - I’m gonna consider Mania a main game too.

Also Sonic 4, but that still takes place before Heroes I guess.

And I guess he was retroactively added to Sonic Colors, which is definitely a main game.

I said canonically though. Can I be precisely annoying?

Generations it was only Metal from Sonic CD.

Forces he was a phantom ruby illusion.

Colors Ultimate is not a new game and he doesn't appear in cutscenes.

TSR and Free Riders are spin-offs. Mario & Sonic Olympics is a crossover which is non canon. I also consider Sonic 4 non canon maybe but that is just me.

Mania counts but that is still another continuity according to Sega, just like Boom.

I stand technically correct somehow. But yeah he was used...

And I might argue that Colors Rise of the Wisps is canon.

20 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

I also consider Sonic 4 non canon maybe but that is just me.

It’s a platformer and it doesn’t contradict anything, so I don’t see any reason not to consider it both main-series and canonical (I list those two things separately since I think spinoffs can be canon, like Battle, Riders, etc.)

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I think he means the current version of Metal as opposed to the classic version.

Sonic 4 is a “modern-style” game though. Surely it counts as current Metal, as does Colors.

I get these appearances aren’t much, but they’re not nothing.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Sonic 4 is a “modern-style” game though. Surely it counts as current Metal, as does Colors.

I get these appearances aren’t much, but they’re not nothing.

Sonic 4 also implies its a sequel to Sonic CD despite taking place after Heroes.

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Sonic 4 also implies its a sequel to Sonic CD despite taking place after Heroes.

I think Sonic 4 is meant to be before Heroes actually?

I seem to remember some official source or another placing the game toward the very beginning of the “Adventure” era, but I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

No, but shoe horning him into a game just because he’s Metal Sonic is though. 

Define "shoe horning". I though it means "forcing elements that doesn't fit"

He's Eggman robot made to fight Sonic. That makes him most natural addition to any game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah its kind of hard to shoehorn Metal Sonic, because he's literally designed to be a persistent opponent to Sonic.

He literally just has to show up and it wouldn't feel out of place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

You guys make a fair point. I think its me who’d love another meaningful story around the character. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

Which is a shame in Sonic Heroes, Metal Sonic had oh so much potential and character development.

But now he is just that one guy you race... 

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 3:37 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Define "shoe horning". I though it means "forcing elements that doesn't fit"

He's Eggman robot made to fight Sonic. That makes him most natural addition to any game.

Agreed

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, J.R. said:

Yes.

Which is a shame in Sonic Heroes, Metal Sonic had oh so much potential and character development.

But now he is just that one guy you race... 

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Neo Metal Sonic should’ve just been Metals design in the series from that point on. IDW provided a good blueprint on what could be done with the character.

Metal-Sonic got a bit overused in the last era. He got cool roles in Heroes and Rivals 2, but after that most of the times he is in the game he's just the super minion and nothing more. Sonic 4 got him a good presence, but in the end it was Stardust Raceway again but even easier, in my opinion they should give him a treatment like Heroes did. Let him rest a bit, he's not a obligatory appearance, and then, give him a EPIC participation!

Hmm, well a lot of the times now, from a player's perspective, Metal Sonic kinda just shows up, gets beat up, and then is just quickly forgotten as he came up.

But I think one part of the reason is because, from a story's perspective, they keep running back into the same Sonic CD / Pre-Heroes era of Metal Sonic, where it hasn't really had the chance to evolve in some shape or form. I think from all of Metal Sonic's appearances from initial debut to now, it's story literally only goes from Sonic CD - > Sonic 4(?) -> Heroes -> Colors (???).... and then that's it. For as much as they use him now, from Generations / Mania / Forces (And I guess Sonic Colors now? Do we count that?), he's just kinda been in this same rut because of time travel / dimensional or copy-cat shenanigans. Like, what exactly is Modern Metal Sonic doing now? Where tf did his neo form come from and why is that not still somewhat of a thing these days?

And a bigger part of the issue I feel is that because of Generations / Mania / Forces and Colors kinda coming out back to back to back, you just sorta see Metal Sonic a lot more often now. What made Metal Sonic special was the fact that it was so sparingly used initially, so that when it did show up in something, you'd get a sense of shit really going down, because Metal Sonic is not just one of Eggman's throwaway robots. Sonic Heroes, while not horrible, is def a weird ass take on Metal Sonic that I'm not really fond of now in hindsight, but I remember back when I was a wee lad getting actually hyped that Metal Sonic was the one being foreshadowed as the mastermind behind it all, and at least it took the character somewhere. Nowadays? He's just the boss guy now... and not even like the semi-final boss anymore, and it doesn't really have a plot point to follow up anymore either. The stakes don't feel nearly as high when it's around since it keeps showing up and is constantly being defeated without any bigger purpose to follow through. Metal Sonic just needs that big plot point again and cool off on his appearances. If he's gonna be in a new game next time, then all eyes need to just be on him at the very least.

He does feel kinda stale, yeah. I think it's mostly because in the vast majority of his recent appearances he's just kinda there, more to tick a fanservice box than actually do anything with him.

I kinda wish they'd do something with a plot-point the OVA set up, where Metal being based on Sonic's data and personality led him to mimic some of Sonic's behaviour, like knowing Sonic's favourite things and mimicking some of Sonic's gestures when they're fighting each other. Right now he just hits me as "Generic Robot that happens to look like Sonic", rather than "Metal Sonic".