Awoo.

PIXEL ART|ARTWORK: Galaxy does art!

Saint Nathan

Yeah, i've been spriting and making Pixel Art forever. I'm not the best, but i'm sure as HELL not the worst.

Anyways, i'll just put everything i've done, that's worth showing, here.

First thing, i've been working on a Sonic sprite sheet, taking sprites from S3&K, and changing things slightly, and adding my own colors and shading. It's going fairly good so far, and i'm liking it.

newsonicsprites.png

Now, this isn't the sheet as I have it right now. I'll update this page later with the current sprites and such.

Anyways, I took some of the fames and animated them, just to see if they would work well in motion. Most of them do, thank god. XD

Walking/Jogging - sonicrunew4.gif <- Horrible anim. It was made quickly, and I messed up a few times.

Running - sonicfullrunrt5.gif <- Not quite accurate, the quills move more in the sprites now.

Spin Dash - sonicspindashjs5.gif <- Another NOT QUITE right, I added a shine spot in the current ones.

Spin Frames - sonicspindm8.gif

Super Fly - superfly.gif

----------

Now, some of my PA's that I made a while back.

Werehoggy;

gallery58594424344ql4.png

I made this from SU hype, and really, Werehog is fluffy, and I like fluffy things. XD

Mighty;

mightynp9.png

I made this for a old SSMB thing, where we would pretend to be a Sonic chareacter for a week. I had this as my avvie forever, then a few days after I changed it, the wipe happened. D:

Blaze;

blazeoz3.png

I made this... Well, because i'm a Blaze fan. :D

Sonic;

tailsxgj.png

I made this because the old Sonic I made for a friend was crap, and I wanted to see if I could do a better one.

So yeah, that's my spriting stuff.

Ya'll liek?

Edited by Galaxy Man
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oshit double post.

I recently drew something, and I put it into GIMP and colored it.

coloredsonic.png

Link

Yeah, I just wanted something simple to practice on, and for my first time editing a drawing on GIMP, I don't think it's half bad.

Edited by Nathan Speed
  • Thumbs Up 1

Keep it small, nate. Your PAs are very good in your initial post. However, I think you lost a little quality when you moved up. Your model flaws (His furthest hand, face) are a little more noticeable, and the shading loses smoothness. My only alternative to that would be dithering, which could help you to make those shades smoother.

However, I'd say move back to the size of thsoe other PAs. They are very good, shading is consistent, especialy on the werehog one.

Keep it small, nate. Your PAs are very good in your initial post. However, I think you lost a little quality when you moved up. Your model flaws (His furthest hand, face) are a little more noticeable, and the shading loses smoothness. My only alternative to that would be dithering, which could help you to make those shades smoother.

However, I'd say move back to the size of thsoe other PAs. They are very good, shading is consistent, especialy on the werehog one.

It really isn't a PA. I drew this, scanned it, then colored it in GIMP. That's why it's so big. I would never DREAM of making a pixel art that big.

I like your sprites. I especially like the way your S3K related sprites are colored. Keep it up the good work.

Maybe you should make some Tails PA *runs*

Tails.png

I made this up quick, I suck at drawing Tails, so this is rather good for me. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not bad. The colour scheme works well and overall I think it's very well modelled and shaded. I love the screwdriver, but I think the hand holding it should be bigger, especially since it's more foreground than the other.

Next, I think the right side foot (our right) should be a little lower. I dunno why, just looks a little out of place at the moment.

Finally, round off his closest eye at the top, it be looking a little square.

Keep goin' Nathan, i'm loving your work.

• 2 weeks later...

sonicjump.png

I just made that in my spare time, to work on my hands and legs. It turned out MUCH better than I expected. I might color it in with GIMP, but I can't be arsed to do it right now.

I love the design in that sprite sheet. It's a great compromise between the cool elements held by modern Sonic and the simplicity held by classic Sonic.

• 2 weeks later...

I finaly got up off my lazy ass and started working on the sprite sheet again. I got the hurt frame done, and i'm working on the Death frame next. I also made a Metal Sonic sprite, and added the old Shadow sprite I made.

But yeah, here's the shit.

NewSonicSprites-1.png

Crappy update, I know. But it's an UPDATE, and that has to count for something? Right?

... Right?

Edited by Nathan Speed

Am I just unloved...?

Anyways, I've got a question for ya'll... If anyone would post. D:

I'm not very... feeling for this sprite sheet now. It's just so... cliche and uninteresting.

So, should I continue this,

OR,

Should I work on something I recently started. Using a very unused style of sprite.

Namely Sonic 1 and CD sprites.

Here's what I have (on this comp)

newclassicsonic.png

So? Should I continue with my nearing-completion-but-still-needs-lotsa-work sheet, or start this new one? I just don't know if the first one is any GOOD is all. :\

Edited by Nathan Speed

I think the new sprites look a bit better...I'm not too fond of the colors of the old ones, and the stomach patch is too large for my tastes...but something that's bugging me about both of them is that the spikes look really blunt. It seems like you're trying to use the corner of the pixel as the pointy bit, and it really doesn't work. You've gotta slim the point down to just a pixel for it to look like a point. In the new ones, for example, you've got the top two spikes right, but the third one...it's, what? 3x5 pixels at the end, there? That's not a spike, that's a brick.

It's kinda hard to slim the bottom one down to a pixel without it just looking odd. But they do kinda look like he has a brick under his skin huh?

Well, that'll be something i'll fix later. By myself.

Because you'll be dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. Hey Dio.

I FIXED IT.

Well, it looks better at least. I also changed the design and shading quite a bit. Also Battle poses look good on Sonic 1/2 styled sprites. The hands might need to be resized, but they look good. :D

modgenclassicsonic.png

So yeah, i'm working on this now. Because I am the Galaxy Man. And I can.

• 11 months later...

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey major bumpage.

So yeah, I got bored today and got KolourPaint. Since my use of Linux makes MSpaynt kinda not happening.

So I went ahead, and after years of hating every PA I made of Sonic, I made a half decent one!

sonicPA.png

yes i know the head is fucking huge. don't even point it out i know.

EDIT: Oh yeah I also have a thingy in my sig. Rigggghhhttt ovveerr...

Here VVV

Edited by AMERICA
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I guess none of you care about me. :(

Oh, hey new Werehog. Yay.

werehogoutline.png

werehogthin.png

in case you're wondering about where he's looking and looking at, i'm making three more of these to go with it.

So yeah, fun times.

EDIT: Oh, hey, his tooth is transparent. Hm. That should not be like that.

Edited by Nathan

Cute picture. Shouldn't the soles of his shoes be spiked as well though?

modgenclassicsonic.png

Oh, and this ^^^ is really nice. There are more and more original/heavily edited sprites these days, and this fits into the category of better ones.

Cute picture. Shouldn't the soles of his shoes be spiked as well though?

I...i was drunk when I did this...

yeah, yeah I'll get that once i'm done with chip.

I care. sad.gif In fact, I care so much you're gonna be the first person in this section I comment on. Now, I'm not a spriter, so at the most I can only give general artistic advice that everyone could benefit from.

As far as the Werehog sprites are concerned, you've got a good handle on action poses as well as a general understanding of the character's form. However, we can always strengthen our gesturing and sighting skills. You would benefit a lot from just taking some time out every day to draw these characters over and over again; Trace if you have to. Raw repetition will inevitably engrain good habits into your memory, and your characters will subsequently be more accurate. A greater understanding of how these characters' bodies would reasonably work will also allow you to experiment even more with poses; After all, the Werehog's very feral, so when he's moving as swiftly as the sprites seem to imply, it's usually in his quadrupedal running motion instead of the bipedal one. It would've been awesome to see you tackle that pose.

There's also a few lighting and movement discrepencies; For example, you have most of the lighting coming from the top right. However, the spikes on his shoes cast shadows to the left while the right hand casts a shadow directly behind it. As a tip, always remind yourself to reference your source of lighting as you work on pieces that can take as long as sprites. I always use the eyes considering they always have the most direct and obvious shine on 'em. In regards to movement, the fur on his right hand doesn't look as if it's being pulled in any specific direction. If anything, it should be following the movement of the fur on his left arm and be blown to the right.

As far as the technical aspects of spriting are concerned, I don't see much wrong with these. Indeed, pixels like Dio mentioned awhile ago are dodging my attention if they're there (although there is one pixel in the shadow of his backspine that's the color of the midtone instead). But I reckon you've got great control of the medium thus far.

All in all, keep up the good work. x3;;