Awoo.

PIXEL ART|ARTWORK: Galaxy does art!

Saint Nathan

As far as the Werehog sprites are concerned, you've got a good handle on action poses as well as a general understanding of the character's form. However, we can always strengthen our gesturing and sighting skills. You would benefit a lot from just taking some time out every day to draw these characters over and over again; Trace if you have to. Raw repetition will inevitably engrain good habits into your memory, and your characters will subsequently be more accurate. A greater understanding of how these characters' bodies would reasonably work will also allow you to experiment even more with poses; After all, the Werehog's very feral, so when he's moving as swiftly as the sprites seem to imply, it's usually in his quadrupedal running motion instead of the bipedal one. It would've been awesome to see you tackle that pose.

Ahahahahaha

this is all done in Kolour/MS Paint. I draw several times better than this. I have no scanner however.

also he's punching something, thusly he can't really run with a hand he's about to punch with. like I said, this has like, three more things to go with it.

also yeah, lighting is a little off, I tried to make him look actually kinda hairy on the poofy wrists with shading. could have gone better.

I know what program the sprites were done in. Nevertheless, the easiest way to attain a greater grasp on the basic principles of making art is simply by drawing a lot. Line quality, perspective, form, lighting, rendering, weight, lines of motion, etc.; None of this suddenly flies out of the window just because you opened up a few computer programs. The Sonic drawing you posted earlier is about in line with the talent you display in your spriting works, and both could be improved on.

As for the pose, fair enough. I didn't immediately assume he'd be punching anything. xP;; And about shading fur, it's actually the same as shading any other object. Fur quality is expressed moreso through linework, so for a better poofy effect, you would've done better to try and go for a less compartmented, anime look in the fur and draw what would essentially be a circle of mere lines, although I'm positive that would've been a bitch in Paint anyways.

The Sonic drawing you posted earlier is about in line with the talent you display in your spriting works, and both could be improved on.

It actually looked better before I GIMP'd it (huuuuur pun) but either way that's not even how I draw Sonic much anymore. But yeah, it could all be improved.

well of course it's next to impossible to NOT be able to improve but yeah i dunno where i'm going with that

also heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey got these mostly done and chip looks weirder than shit! Also his tooth is transparent, that's been fixed, just not before I uploaded it to photobucket.

werehogalmost.png

I just need to give the damn dragon thing that... cloud shit on it's back (which is next to impossible to sprite well!) and then bold him like I've done with the others and I'll be finished!

and then i get my scanner working because damnit, that needs to be done.

Edited by Nathan

Your pixel art is really nice, I think you need to work on anatomy abit though.

Is dat sum pillow shading I see as well? I don't know alot about spriting but I'm under the impression that it's a big no-no where spriting is concerned. Perhaps you could study some pixel art styles from various games and try applying some of those techniques to your PAs? The pixel art in the 4th generation Pokemon games might be a good start since the style is simple but gorgeous.

I adore the sprite sheet you showed earlier as well, easily one of the best Sonic's I've seen, I like how you haven't emphasised the soles of his shoes like most others.

Is dat sum pillow shading I see as well?

Uh... no.

I can't quite remember but I think Pillow shading uses more colors.

Unless you mean on the monster thing, then I dunno. I started with battle then just kinda fell out of it while trying to shade them. They have some weird shit going on, they get lighter where the colors should go deeper and then get lighter where they are supposed to get lighter and they're all black in the middle it is odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on some Google-ing in the other tab, I think that is pillow shading. Particularly on the side of the Werehog's body.

No. No pillow shading on the Werehog, but the shading on the Nightmare is pretty close. But it's the way it looks in-game so hey.

• 1 month later...

newoldsonic.png

I was making my sig, and realized I can draw Sonic with the pen and paint tool better than with the line tool, like I always do.

God please let Sonic look less derpy than I think he does.

Yes Classic Sonic is holding a Walkman.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's cute, but I think classic Sonic's arms and legs are too long. And modern Sonic's arms and legs are extreme.

It's cute, but I think classic Sonic's arms and legs are too long. And modern Sonic's arms and legs are extreme.

I always draw modern Sonic like that actually. It's kind of a thing. I try to keep my drawings in a mix between the two, but when I draw one or the other I tend to exaggerate.

• 4 weeks later...

Its a nice little animation, but why not do a bit more with it? Move the clouds, Sonics spines rustling with the wind a little, animated ripples around the islands ect.

Have you considered spriting outside of Sonic stuff? There are plenty spriting styles out there and exporing outside the Sonic series and all might be good for you. One challenge I did once was spriting a photograph into a relatively small frame. The experience was exhausting but I got way more out of it than I would of done to just keep spriting using bases.

(I actually ought to do this more myself heh, I sprite but still occasionally go back to using a base because I am a big wimp)

Its a nice little animation, but why not do a bit more with it? Move the clouds, Sonics spines rustling with the wind a little, animated ripples around the islands ect.

I was going to originally, but I wanted to see if it would work as my avatar first, it didn't so I didn't bother. I just decided to post it here on a whim.

I do sprite outside of Sonic stuff though, just not very often, mostly because I'm not very good with things outside of Sonic and landscapes. My anatomy on people is horrid, unless it's cartoony, and then I can just go nuts with huge arms anyways.

I did do a few things for a little fan story on the MSPA Forums because I was bored, I haven't updated it in forever. But I did some stuff that I ended up REALLY liking. Especially this one.

metaignis37.png

I'm pretty sure that's the best picture I have ever done on a computer.

• 2 weeks later...

megaman1.png

I'm working on human form.

This is the first time I have ever tried to realistically draw a human.

And I chose a stupidly difficult position. fffff.

Anyways, other than the hand, I'm not sure if I messed up anywhere, anyone got any advice for what I have done so far?

• 3 months later...

wholy shit a bump

I haven't really done anything recently, but I just did this because the idea would not leave my head no matter how much SaSASR I played.

sofuckinghappy.png

In case you're wondering, the title of this is "SO F#CKING HAPPY"

and yes that is with the #. sometimes imagining that beep in your head is funnier.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been feeling really Homestuck-y lately (more than partially due to the massive string of shocking updates and the topic on here) so I figured I would make some art of the characters.

I started, then realized I can't draw humanoid bodies for shit. So I'm just making heads. No particular order to this really, mostly random heads are just gonna go here until I get all the kids and trolls down.

But yeah. I've got Karkat, Terezi, and Nepeta done. Working on Eridan and Tavros right now, so they'll be up eventually. Dunno who to do after that.

karkat.png

terezi.png

nepeta.png

I'm not sure why Nepeta looks weird, other than her gigantic eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

SO. I'm honestly sad that you don't ever get to battle Gold/Ethan in the whole Pokemon series. Red's fight was pretty cool and gives some insight as to what he does after becoming Champion, but for all we know, Ethan is still Champion. I'd kinda like some sort of insight on him, you know? He just seemed to click with me more than any other Pokemon character so far, especially in SS/HG. Wanna see him back, Gamefreak.

ANYWAYS, before I go too far off topic here. I decided to make Red and Ethan sprites, in the style of Black and White. So far I have a good number of sprites done, but for now I want to show a GIF i made just to be sure they would look right in motion.

redethanblack3.gif

EDIT: I made Tavros' face look stupid. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay

eridan.png

tavros.png

Edited by Galaxy Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

I totally adore these. Fucking love your Terezi and Eridan, guy.

Thanks. Terezi and Karkat are the only ones who seem to have come out right without me having to fuss around with one single detail. (Nepeta's hair, Eridan's horns, Tavros'... entire facial structure.)

Actually, not sure who to do next. I guess Aradia? Just do her living and as a robot, and get it out of the way now.

aradia.png

metalaradia.png

Arraaaadiiiaaa.

I dunno if I'll do her with the godhood or not. For right now this is it.

Gonnnaaaaaaa do feferi and sollux i guess?

• Thumbs Up 1

You can never have too much Aradia. I say go for her with her godhood. You've done an excellent job so far with the trolls - keep it up! :D

You can never have too much Aradia. I say go for her with her godhood. You've done an excellent job so far with the trolls - keep it up! :D

Thanks. If I do Aradia in the godhood, then I'll more than likely (read: gonna have to) do John and Vriska as well, so I'll save that for last.

I do have Sollux already though, because he's the easiest of all of the trolls (no stupid sized horns, no weird hair styles, only bad part is glasses, which I suck at.)

glassessollux.png

sollux.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Spot-on Sollux you have there! I feel like only picking on the small detail that his right eye socket seems more angled than the others you've done. LIke, it's going too far back in space - especially for the slight angle his head is facing.

Other than that, nice! Can't wait to see the upcoming ones! :D

Edited by DJ FLiGHTS

equius.png

gamzee.png

feferi-1.png

Two more Trolls left. I have nothing going on this weekend, so I should get them done easily. Then the kids. then yep.

Edited by Galaxy Man
  • Thumbs Up 1