Awoo.

Silvers Rival battle in Generations was weird

KHCast

maxresdefault.jpg

Not the battle itself. That was just fine, I had fun with it. Moreso the fact that it’s the only rival battle (boss battle if we add those) that takes place in a location he was never fought in. 

Like, I was expecting, since Shadow and Metal were both fought in their respective iconic boss areas, the same would have applied to silver, but apparently not? Idk, like I get the outside reasons for why they likely limited silver to Crisis City (not wanting to show off lots of 06/budget & time/etc), but it’s kinda disappointing and jarring, how they make him such an outlier. Soleanna I think could have worked, just have Sonic running around the city/highway in a loop, and silvers battle could have worked more or less the same (or they could have gave the battle to Classic Sonic, and had him fight silver in the market square area Sonic fought him).

320px-06_SonVsSilv.png

OR, they could have had Sonic fight him in Radical Train. That’s where shadow fights him, and if Generations 3DS is anything to go by, stuff central to Shadow and his experiences seems to be fair game. Sonic already runs through there in 06 in a Mach speed section, so it could make sense as a rival battle for modern, especially since Silver could similar to the actual fight, pull random debris out of nowhere 

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Like, I guess I just wish more of 06 could have gotten shown off with the Generations touch up. After seeing Crisis City get the glow up it did, and seeing Silver in the HUB as a rival, I got really excited to see potentially Soleanna or RT also get that treatment. But unfortunately they didn’t, and that was kinda a shame. But again, not helping was how Silver just kinda is the odd one out there. It’s just a small thing in the overall plethora of missed potential complaints generations has lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they assumed many people wouldn't appreciate/wouldn't understand a deeper cut than Crisis City. It is odd, though.

I associate Silver with Crisis City more than Soleanna or Radical Train so I can't say it feels out of place to me. And neither fight with him in '06 is memorable in any way besides how broken it could be, so I can't fault the decision to reach beyond them when designing Gens' fight.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I associate Silver with Crisis City more than Soleanna or Radical Train so I can't say it feels out of place to me.

What people associate him with tho is, at least imo, kinda irrelevant, since Gens makes it clear the rival bosses and main boss battles outside him are taking place in arenas/areas they were fought in.

Metal Sonic: Stardust Speedway

Death Egg Robot: Death Egg

Perfect Chaos: Destroyed Station Square

Shadow: Final Rush

Egg Dragoon: Eggmanland/Planet core 

Silver was not fought at any point in Crisis City, so in regards to consistency, it quite factually is the odd one out here.  (Hell, even ignoring that, silver still remains the odd one out, since all the other bosses stages are areas not already seen in Gens main acts. Silver is just crisis city again)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Silver was not fought at any point in Crisis City, so in regards to consistency, it quite factually is the odd one out here. 

If you really want to get nitpicky, 06 never happened so Sonic never fought Silver at any point in that game, which makes any location they could have chosen a wash. 

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If you really want to get nitpicky, 06 never happened so Sonic never fought Silver at any point in that game, which makes any location they could have chosen a wash. 

Well, continuing the nitpick, I mean Blaze references being in crisis city again, so I mean, jury’s technically out there on whether it happened or not. At the very least, Silver (I’d assume) and Blaze seem to remember at least parts of 06, and if they remember crisis city, they’d probably remember their attempt at fixing it, which would include I would think, silvers skirmish with Sonic

12 minutes ago, KHCast said:

What people associate him with tho is, at least imo, kinda irrelevant, since Gens makes it clear the rival bosses and main boss battles outside him are taking place in arenas/areas they were fought in.

Or they all take place in areas that are meaningfully associated with them, which in most but not all cases, is where their boss fights were.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Or they all take place in areas that are meaningfully associated with them, which in most but not all cases, is where their boss fights were.

It seems like massive guesswork this point, since unless it’s straight up confirmed how levels/bosses were selected, we’re gonna go in a circle. But regardless of if this point were  the case, it still disappoints me a bit personally that Silver is left with the reused stage locale, while everyone else gets something different to vary the representation in the game. Was hopeful to see more areas from 06 recreated and given a second chance at the spotlight.