Awoo.

If Orbot and Cubot were included in Adventure remakes...

Austroid

Knowing how Sonic Team currently is, if we were to ever finally see remakes of the Adventure games they would likely add (i.e. shoehorn) Orbot and Cubot. Complete with unfunny dialogue and "comedic" scenes. 

7684786.JPG.05fab29804075fff6cb980686f8b67fa.JPG

357856835.JPG.afce882762570cc02f854946611482fa.JPG

I know they have their fans, but for me they're just so bland, and add nothing to the games they're already included in. Most of the time even the games writers don't know what to do with them (see their absence in Generations, or handful of lines in Forces)

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

Why...would they be? Like for real think logically why would they be included? Yeah they're popular but if they did a remake of Adventure they're not going to just throw in stuff from the modern era.

• Thumbs Up 5

They wouldn't have any reason of doing that, as Eggman doesn't have many (or tbh any) moments where he isn't interacting with other characters in the Adventure, and they exist mostly to talk with Eggman, or to have Eggman goons for the protagonist to talk with (like all the "humoristic duo of Eggman's robots" that we got before) which isn't that needed in the Adventure.

And if they remade the Adventure, it would certainly not have that much changes that takes too much useless work, and adding two other characters to their plot is a lot of work.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's literally no reason to assume they'd do this, so I'm assuming this is just an excuse to say you hate Orbot and Cubot.

• Thumbs Up 5

I guess there's no point in me jumping on the hate train at this point, but yeah, no reason to believe this would happen.

They're remaking Sonic Colors right now, and its just Sonic Colors with a few bonus features. They didn't bring in Infinite or the Avatar or have The Lost Hex floating in the background (although that last one would actually be kinda cool for continuity’s sake)

I mean, I could potentially see a nod to Orbot and Cubot? Like a couple WIP bots in the background? But they'd have to go above and beyond to add them into cutscenes... I know you dislike Orbot and Cubot, I mean its not a hugely unpopular opinion, but theres no chance theyd put it in that effort, especially when they dont fit the game at all. Sonic Team is pretty stupid, but they wont do unnecessary work.

• Thumbs Up 2

Screw each and every one of you.

like Orbot and Cubot, so I would love an Adventure 1&2 remake with them included. They’re the best henchmen after Scratch and Grounder from the old days.

If anything, hearing Orbot make a smart-ass quip, Cubot saying something stupid, and both getting backhanded by Shadow for it would make for fun humor.

• Thumbs Up 8

Orbot and Cubot are fantastic. Easily the best addition from the modern era, and I'll tell you why.

Eggman had virtually no meaningful character interactions with his minions in the 90s or 00s. He'd give orders, maybe occasionally tell a robot like Gamma that he was proud of them, but he didn't really banter with them. Never had full-blown conversations with them or anything. The Eggman of the previous eras was a lonely man who didn't have a lot of friendly interaction.

Orbot and Cubot do a lot to humanize Eggman. Not in the sense that they necessarily make him more sympathetic or less villainous, but in the sense that we get to see Eggman just being a person around them. Talking about banal unimportant things like what he's having for dinner, or Cubot's latest malfunction, etc. It's... nice?

I feel like in some aspects, Eggman is shown to genuinely care about them too. In Lost World, they way he shouts "Orbot! Cubot! We are leaving!" kinda stuck with me. He could have abandoned them or used them to buy time from the Zeti as he escaped. But he specifically made sure they came along. On some level, Eggman truly cares about their well-being. And I think that's wonderful.

Honestly, I'd love to see more of them. Not necessarily in a remake of an older game, as I feel iffy about retconning old stories. But if there was a way to do it without contradicting those established stories (like putting them in new cutscenes or mini-events exclusive to the remakes or something) I wouldn't be opposed.

EDIT: Duh. What if they took the role of Omochao for the Dark side story? Omochao makes sense a the hero "tutorial character," but having Orbot and Cubot give humorous (and totally optional) advice to Eggman and the gang would thematically fit the dark story without significantly altering the plot.

• Thumbs Up 9

Orbot and Cubot are great in Colors at least*, but they fill narrative and thematic roles** that don't fit what authentic Adventure remakes would need. That said worrying about unannounced games that are almost certainly not in development and even if they are in development are years away from being released is just looking for a reason to be upset.

*I'm not giving Sega money for Lost World or Forces, lol

** i.e. characters Eggman can monologue about his evil plans to and comedic relief respectively.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman needs to be interacting with Sonic Tails etc. Orbot and Cubot just engender this bad habit Modern Sonic has of keeping him as far away from the heroes as possible for the entire game. From the Classics to SA2, he used to interject constantly with traps, tricks and plans

Now, we don't get insight to his mindset, plans, or even good humor. It's just bad jokes about how stupid they are and how big of an ego Eggman has. It was tired when they pulled up with their shtick in 2010 and they've only felt more like loose ends since.

I'm not seriously worried about them showing up in a Sonic Adventure remake, because a Sonic Adventure remake isn't happening, but let's be clear: Those games have enough characters already. Eggman is actually an active player in the plot, so there are a lot of potential interactions to wring humor or depth out of. The Adventure games do not need Orbot and Cubot. I'm not even convinced Modern Sonic needs Orbot or Cubot yet.

• Thumbs Up 3

You could still have him interact with Sonic and Tails even with Orbot and Cubot around.

I don’t see how that would even be remotely difficult to change...hell, the five of them were interacting with each other in Lost Worlds of all places in the same proximity of each other, and that game arguably had one of the worst plots among the current era.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Eggman needs to be interacting with Sonic Tails etc. Orbot and Cubot just engender this bad habit Modern Sonic of keeping him as far away from the heroes as possible for the entire game.

I'm not sure this complaint tracks. He spent most of the game with Sonic and Tails in Lost World, even though Orbot and Cubot were along for the ride too.

Eggman didn't spend a ton of time interacting with the heroes in Forces, but Orbot and Cubot were barely in that game, so it's not really their fault.

I feel like the issue of how much time Eggman spends around Sonic is completely unrelated to Orbot and Cubot being in the games, honestly.

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

You could still have him interact with Sonic and Tails even with Orbot and Cubot around.

I don’t see how that would even be remotely difficult to change...hell, the five of them were interacting with each other in Lost Worlds of all places.

I would rather them focus on characters that actually have something to do with the plot.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I would rather them focus on characters that actually have something to do with the plot.

Okay, then here’s a simple solution: make them have something to do with the plot.

This isn’t rocket science, bro.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Simple solution: make them do something in the plot.

You forget people who hate these characters would rather they just not exist 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I'm not sure this complaint tracks. He spent most of the game with Sonic and Tails in Lost World, even though Orbot and Cubot were along for the ride too.

Eggman didn't spend a ton of time interacting with the heroes in Forces, but Orbot and Cubot were barely in that game, so it's not really their fault.

I feel like the issue of how much time Eggman spends around Sonic is completely unrelated to Orbot and Cubot being in the games, honestly.

They introduced them so he would have someone to interact with while he's sitting at home base. If you put him back in the field, you don't need them anymore.

Just now, Soniman said:

And they need to be reminded that they have plenty of other characters they can enjoy in spite of that.

Leave that petty-ass “they’re useless because shouldn’t exist” nonsense back in the year 2006 where it belongs.

4 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Okay, then here’s a simple solution: make them have something to do with the plot.

The last thing Sonic Adventure needs is more characters of any kind.

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The last thing Sonic Adventure needs is more characters of any kind.

They wouldn’t even be playable, so that’s still a non-issue. Never mind that “too many characters” was never the problem with Sonic Adventure to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

They introduced them so he would have someone to interact with while he's sitting at home base. If you put him back in the field, you don't need them anymore.

Even if he's out there piloting mechs and whatnot he's not going to be hanging around the heroes 24/7, revealing all his thoughts and feelings to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I mean, that's true. But plenty of people hate Shadow too, and it didn't stop Sonic Team from putting him in tons of games, including his own.

Honestly, I think if Shadow-haters can deal with all that, Orbot/Cubot-haters can put up with some totally nonintrusive cutscene appearances here and there.

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Screw each and every one of you.

Whoa! I like Orbot and Cubot. I just think it's a leap to go "lol Sega is too shitty to not include them."

Just now, SBR2 said:

Whoa! I like Orbot and Cubot. I just think it's a leap to go "lol Sega is too shitty to not include them."

Oh, don’t take that part too seriously. I mainly said that for emphasis to the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1