Awoo.

If Orbot and Cubot were included in Adventure remakes...

Austroid

17 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Orbot and Cubot are fantastic. Easily the best addition from the modern era, and I'll tell you why.

Eggman had virtually no meaningful character interactions with his minions in the 90s or 00s. He'd give orders, maybe occasionally tell a robot like Gamma that he was proud of them, but he didn't really banter with them. Never had full-blown conversations with them or anything. The Eggman of the previous eras was a lonely man who didn't have a lot of friendly interaction.

Orbot and Cubot do a lot to humanize Eggman. Not in the sense that they necessarily make him more sympathetic or less villainous, but in the sense that we get to see Eggman just being a person around them. Talking about banal unimportant things like what he's having for dinner, or Cubot's latest malfunction, etc. It's... nice?

I feel like in some aspects, Eggman is shown to genuinely care about them too. In Lost World, they way he shouts "Orbot! Cubot! We are leaving!" kinda stuck with me. He could have abandoned them or used them to buy time from the Zeti as he escaped. But he specifically made sure they came along. On some level, Eggman truly cares about their well-being. And I think that's wonderful.

Honestly, I'd love to see more of them. Not necessarily in a remake of an older game, as I feel iffy about retconning old stories. But if there was a way to do it without contradicting those established stories (like putting them in new cutscenes or mini-events exclusive to the remakes or something) I wouldn't be opposed.

EDIT: Duh. What if they took the role of Omochao for the Dark side story? Omochao makes sense a the hero "tutorial character," but having Orbot and Cubot give humorous (and totally optional) advice to Eggman and the gang would thematically fit the dark story without significantly altering the plot.

I agree really. Maybe this is why Decoe and Bocoe were a fun addition to the X adaptations. They didn't do a GREAT amount but they played a similar role, something to interact with Eggman and humanize him a little (as well as make the numbers SLIGHTLY less lop sided in the heroes' favour).

People complain Orbot and Cubot just do the same shtick over and over, well what's new in the Sonic games? This was an issue before they even came along. Amy pining over Sonic or threatening domestic abuse? Knuckles acting a like dumb muscle? Nearly every non-Eggman villain just acting a flat matter of dark and sinister and swatting him away in the final boss? Dare I say the Sonic stories were sometimes rather formulaic? :P

If anything I'd argue Orbot and Cubot are among the characters that feel LESS like dead weight, since their primary interactions with Eggman give them more of a purpose to be there. People forget you can have plenty of characters in a story so long as they work into the actual dynamic. Games like Next Gen sucked with character management since so many of them were just there for quota call.

Stuff like Boom shown you can give Orbot and Cubot a funny agency to the whole thing, I'm not sure about retroactively adapting them into old games precisely, but I have no problem with them appearing, they just have to be used a bit better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can we please not do the thing where we say "this thing I like is better than this thing that you like"

14 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Can we please not do the thing where we say "this thing I like is better than this thing that you like"

Explain how we can do that. It seems like this whole thread is built around that. :P

Yea, and conversations generally reach a dead end. 

Talk about what you like without putting down what others like. It saves a lot of headaches.

• Fist Bump 2

23 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If anything, hearing Orbot make a smart-ass quip, Cubot saying something stupid, and both getting backhanded by Shadow for it would make for fun humor.

"I'm granting you a wish"

And then Cubot pull out of list of wishes that nobody knew he had.

23 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

EDIT: Duh. What if they took the role of Omochao for the Dark side story? Omochao makes sense a the hero "tutorial character," but having Orbot and Cubot give humorous (and totally optional) advice to Eggman and the gang would thematically fit the dark story without significantly altering the plot.

I love that idea

In all seriousness, since SA1 and SA2 take place well before Sonic Colors, what if we get a cameo appearance of Orbot and Cubot in the Egg Carrier hub world. There could be a room (using one of the doors that was unused in the original game) where you can find one of Eggman's workshops where he is working on prototype robots and you can see work in progress versions of Orbot and Cubot and maybe even interact with them. For the sake of continuity with Sonic Unleashed, Orbot could be further along the development process than Cubot and thus be the only one with any sort of dialog (nothing major, just enough to acknowledge who exactly we are seeing).

17 hours ago, Iko said:

This way maybe? I mean, not literally the same boss, but bosses with the same "spirit" as this:

cubot.png.3feca3d4dc9eaca098c7187edd9c5ad1.png

I honestly though this was legit for a second. 😂

Actually, it reminds of that one scene from Lost World with the Crabmeat.

14 hours ago, Kuzu said:

If they didn't get rid of every other character people hate, what makes you think they're gonna get rid of them

How technical you wanna get there?

Because gamewise we haven't seen Tower, Marine, and Nega in quite some time.

12 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Yea, and conversations generally reach a dead end. 

Talk about what you like without putting down what others like. It saves a lot of headaches.

Uh, did Phi do that?

36 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Because gamewise we haven't seen Tower, Marine, and Nega in quite some time.

I mean, it ain't mainline, but Nega was playable as recently as 2019.

Tails' Channel on Twitter: "New: Rouge and Eggman Nega are among the  featured characters in a brand new set of #MarioSonic at #Tokyo2020  screenshots published by @Game_Watch. #SonicNews https://t.co/sCqD8cApKa" /  Twitter

GUN Commander and Marine meanwhile have been AWOL for well over a decade at this point. I imagine both characters are probably unofficially "retired," while multiplayer spinoffs have kept Eggman Nega tethered to life since his last platformer appearance in 2008.

12 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I mean, it ain't mainline, but Nega was playable as recently as 2019.

Tails' Channel on Twitter: "New: Rouge and Eggman Nega are among the  featured characters in a brand new set of #MarioSonic at #Tokyo2020  screenshots published by @Game_Watch. #SonicNews https://t.co/sCqD8cApKa" /  Twitter

GUN Commander and Marine meanwhile have been AWOL for well over a decade at this point. I imagine both characters are probably unofficially "retired," while multiplayer spinoffs have kept Eggman Nega tethered to life since his last platformer appearance in 2008.

That's what I meant--in terms of mainline Sonic(or even Sonic spinoffs period), we haven't seen any of those characters outside of comics(which inherently make the most of series lore within license) and the Mario Olympics.

Also, coincidentally just sat through most of those cutscenes the other day and the fact that Nega is not only the Karate Boss, but has a major role in the story is wild.