Awoo.

Sonic Boom was doomed to fail no matter what

User18091994

44 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I never said that the situation was the same at when 2006 was released, please don't put words into the mouth of other.

What I said that the situation as more complexe than "things where in a good place". People don't just forget previous game just because a few good happened (and at that time a lot of Adventure fans where unhappy and already talked about Sonic Team lacking inspiration, bad stories, etc). Things aren't all black on white, and having a "nice simple narrative" is often an oversimplification of things.

Sonic Colors and Generations restored some trust, but people didn't forget other games. Sonic 4 was often seen as a shame, etc.

You only haven't understood my point. I've never said Sonic Colors and Generations erased the past mistakes Sega did with the franchise. I said more than one time that the franchise's reputation was still in recovery despite these games being acclaimed, and that Sega needed to keep releasing more good quality games consistently, so we could say for sure that Sonic was definitely back on track. But they didn't, they release Lost World and 3 Sonic Booms. Releasing two well-receive home console mainline games in a row it's a good place, in my opinion, it was better than now. And better than almost one decade of only controversial releases.

You said that the games will always sell, no matter how bad they are, that people would continue buying only because it's Sonic. Just because people bought Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 during a time when Sonic's franchise wasn't so fatigued with failures. I said that this wouldn't last forever, and you didn't consider fact that Sonic Lost World sold poorly, and Sonic Boom was the worst-selling Sonic game of all time.

I saw Sonic Boom as the one chance they had to expand Sonic into something more than the platformer genre it cornered itself into. It would have been beneficial to have a franchise that is being successful in being flexible. Down the line, we could have seen more narrative-driven genre, or just a different point of view of the world, similar to a Marvel-like series.

It's unfortunate that it wasn't given the chance to present itself in the way it was planned to be.