Awoo.

Finally Finished Generations

Tailsmon

So I finally finished Generations recently.  I originally bought the game on PS3 back in 2013 and it was this game that had inspired me to check out more Sonic games.  I got about as far as Egg Dragoon before giving up and putting it away to be completed some other day.  Well this year that day came.  I started over from the beginning and finally beat the game.  It felt like an accomplishment to finally reach those end credits!  I still have some missions I haven't played yet, but the main game is finished. 

If I were to give this game a star rating, I would give it a 3.5 stars out of 5.  I enjoyed the game a lot, but there were some things I didn't like.  I didn't care for the Generations version of City Escape mainly due to the forced 2D sections in the 3D Act.  I didn't hate the forced 2D in the game overall, but there are some levels like City escape where I think it brought the level down.  

Playing and finally finishing Generations on PS3 has re-ignited my love of Sonic.  I've been re-playing old favorites and giving games I previously disliked another chance.  Overall, I would recommend Generations as a good starter pick for getting into the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its such a solid game, makes me happy to have such a good foundation for the series. Boost gameplay doesn't get better than Gens.

• Thumbs Up 2

The main thing I didn't like were the Vector challenges. I also kind of wish that Modern Sonic didn't have any 2D platforming sections at all, and that the gameplay divide was more evenly split between 2D and 3D. Overall though I really liked Generations — it took me a long time to finally get around to playing it (only a few months ago) but once I did, I found that the game continued to grow on me until I 100%ed it. So I must've liked it! 

(By the way if you want to hear a long conversation about the pros/cons of the game, we recently did an episode on Generations you can listen to here.) 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't like Generations that much. Yeah, it's a solid game with the best gameplay and more polished level design among the 3D games, however it's too short, and the stage themes are repetitive (too many city stages, too many tropical stages, etc). I don't like the optional missions, I don't like that half of the game is classic sonic and there are more 2D sections than 3D, while Sonic Unleashed were more balanced in this aspect. The story is dumb and uninspired. The ranking system is awful, you get S rank even when have a terrible performance in the stage.

In the end of the day, the only content I care in Generation are the main modern Sonic acts per world and it's too few content to keep me engaged. It's way inferior compared to Sonic Unleashed. And unfortunately, it's the mainline game that I never feel like going back to play.

Sonic Unleashed is better because:
- It's more original and inspired

- It's more challenging and have a good ranking system

- There are more variety in the stages

- It's more 3D
- The story is better

- It's more ambitious and have a higher production value

My main problem with Sonic Generations is that I would have loved more content in it. It's one of the most fun Sonic game to play and replay (while I liked Unleashed and Colors, I don't really go back as much to them to replay a stage or two), and maybe the best boost gameplay level design (especially on levels like Seaside Hill modern).

The game would really really benefited from some DLCs to have "more" in it.

( It also run pretty bad with Proton on Linux, but I can't really be angry at a game for not being really compatible with a compability layer for another plateform lol. At least I don't have to bypass an anoying launcher like with SA2. )

• Thumbs Up 1

I just finished Generations a couple of days ago. I played it briefly on the Xbox 360 in 2013, but not enough to remember well. I had a few small issues, but other than that, I loved it. I may also need to give it some time, but right now I'd say that it's my second favourite Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1