Awoo.

Reimagining unpopular Sonic concepts.

Kuzu

4 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

He tramples over his own daughter, massacres a group of Chao, and attempts to steal a powerful power source that was never his to begin with.

How in the blue hell would you remotely call that sympathetic?

12 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

You act like there’s no middle ground with this.

I am, once again, not saying that it breaks the story entirely. But it makes him more sympathetic than he would've been otherwise.

4 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

No we don’t. Because for all we know they could have been evenly matched, and Pachacamac wanted an edge to wipe out the Zeti like the rest of his enemies.

Like seriously dude, put more thought and read what is being said instead of twisting it into what you want it to mean.

Do you genuinely not understand that there's a difference between the new tribe leader ending an era of peace, leading his army to conquer the surrounding tribes and expand his empire, and still desiring more power until his greed destroys him and his empire, and the new leader getting into a war with magical monsters powerful enough for him to require the emeralds to win?

• Thumbs Up 1

I rewrote 06 a while ago to be about Blaze. Since yeah, the "Sol-" thing has bothered me for years. But it also led me to kinda dig into how the Sonic series made so many ideas based around middle-eastern influence, and how I can bring those together. So effectively we're writing out Rush, 06, Riders and Secret Rings all in one swoop; but kinda better using their ideas at the same time. Anyways, here it is.

036ac50a68832cd684a9a73ea33f8d35.png

Princess Blaze, her ceremony outfit, the Jeweled Scepter, and the Duke of Soleanna. A fusion of Blaze and Elise stuff of course.
b76f97f1f50b03f2e7c1eda691a324ab.png

Silver the Hedgehog, psycho-knight. Royal guard of Soleanna. Inspired partially by his prototype and Black Knight designs.
eff9cf7f11a300b536eb33a736932078.png

Iblis Djinn. Made from combining Mephiles, Erazor Djinn, Solaris and the Riders bird-genie together. Also fits the crest of Soleanna, no?

Story I had down was that long ago in the country of Soleanna, an evil griffon named Iblis Djinn (above) planned to take over the entire world by using the Sol Gems (not emeralds, gems. Imagine them being shaped like the jewel on Blaze's head.. and that that's one of them) to reincarnate into the demon-god Solaris, eviscerating the world in his flames. A single mage (not drawn) used a scepter (a redesigned Jeweled Scepter, mixed with the vase concealing Mephiles from 06) to capture Solaris. But the flames cursed the mage, leaving her with his powers, titled "The Flames of Disaster". The mage was hailed the savior of their nation and was appointed as the queen, but her fear of losing control to her powers caused her to shy away.

Cut to a few centuries later, and the Duke (who resembles Big intentionally; imagine Sonic or whoever reacting confusedly to him) has his daughter, Princess Blaze, initiated into the process of becoming queen. But as the ceremony begins, Eggman arrives in desire to seek out these supposed Sol Gems as well as the secrets of what lies inside the scepter. Sonic does as he does and crashes the already-crashed party, but in the process the Duke (along with the scepter) gets kidnapped by Eggman! Sonic tries to work with the bullheaded Blaze, who takes matters into her own hands, much to the chagrin of Silver, the head of the Soleanna Royal Guard as appointed by the Duke, of whom was instructed to take care of matters for the princess due to her family's "condition". Silver wants to look out for Blaze as he's always cared about her, but Blaze has hardly acknowledged him due to life forcing her into a loner state.

As Sonic, Blaze and Silver make chase in different directions to Eggman, shenanigans happen (probably from the three butting heads) that cause the scepter to be destroyed, freeing a conniving Iblis Djinn. Eggman kinda knows this song and dance already ("I've already been granted wishes before by far more capable beasts than you" as a nice SA2 callback), but he plays along with him anyway as the two discuss working together for their own needs (Iblis wants his Flames back, Eggman wants the gems). 

I don't really have the stuff in between here and the end figured completely out, but the game becomes about Sonic chasing down Eggman, Blaze seeking to save her father but needing the Sol Gems to do it, and Silver trying to seek Sonic/Blaze as he defends the country from the threat of Iblis Djinn's rising forces. As the plot continues onward, Blaze finds herself hunted by Iblis Djinn and finds that he's trying to get her to join his side or die so he can obtain the Flames of Disaster from her. Almost losing to him, Sonic rushes in to save the day, as their paths cross. Blaze then learns after talking and hanging with him for a while that she doesn't need to hold the weight of the world on her shoulders, as she begins to partner up more with Sonic during the adventure, as the two double-team it in securing the remaining Sol Gems and seeking out saving her father. Meanwhile, Silver also faces Iblis Djinn directly at the peak of his story (possibly about building a fortress around Soleanna using his mindpowers) and puts up a great fight against him when he arrives, but finds himself coaxed by Iblis Djinn into believing Sonic will make Blaze vulnerable enough to release the Flames of Disaster. 

At the end of the game, we find that Sonic and Blaze have together stomped Eggman, getting the Sol Gems and saving her father. During the course of the adventure, Sonic and Blaze have become good buddies, as Blaze has never opened to someone like this before. But we find Silver directly facing the two because of what Silver now believes about them. Silver defeats Sonic by throwing him off a cliff, seeming to kill him. Which causes Blaze to outburst in anger, but in turn she loses control of herself, thus fulfilling the plans Iblis Djinn desired. The ruined landscape left over is Crisis City, a world nearly void of life except a raging inferno, Silver, and a wounded (but still breathing) Sonic. Realizing his actions, Silver carries Sonic toward the inferno in the distance, knowing that must be where Blaze is.

Blaze, engulfed by flames, is tearing the world apart. Silver tries to fight it (booosss baaattleeee) only to find himself struggling. Feeling like he's lost all hope and has failed as a royal guard in the biggest way, Sonic regains consciousness and tries to help him out, knowing he's a good dude that means well. Silver sees what Blaze sees in the guy, and realizes that's it. He gets Sonic where he needs to go, and Sonic takes it from there, breaking through the vortex to Blaze in the center. Upon realizing Sonic is alive, she starts to calm down, and the Flames leave her body and the vortex stops. But just as she's let go; Iblis Djinn appears and absorbs the remnants of the Flames, becoming Solaris (all according to plan baby; have her release the power, let her lose grip of it, take it and take over). The three use the Sol Gems to turn into Burning forms or whatever and they stop him, idk, I didn't get this far. Eggman is here somewhere lmao.

----

And yeah there you go. Idk, it's an idea. I had an alternate story of this where it was just 06 but if everyone was birds:

cody collins on Twitter: "tower of nonsense… "

..but I couldn't see it working too much, or at least not without cutting out the time travel bit or finding a different angle than "flames of disaster" and the "Sol" motif, since that's the main reason I went through with this in the first place. I guess it'd be good for if you didn't want to overwrite Rush or Secret Rings though!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 3

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I am, once again, not saying that it breaks the story entirely. But it makes him more sympathetic than he would've been otherwise.

Do you genuinely not understand that there's a difference between the new tribe leader ending an era of peace, leading his army to conquer the surrounding tribes and expand his empire, and still desiring more power until his greed destroys him and his empire, and the new leader getting into a war with magical monsters powerful enough for him to require the emeralds to win?

I wouldn't really say it makes him more sympathetic, because he still does those terrible things, so much as it makes thr situation less black and white and more nuanced.

If that's not your preference fine, but you're conflating sympathetic in the wrong context I think.

28 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

You seem to be implying just that given you seem to think giving nuance to his actions makes him more of a good guy when they just as easily could make him an even worse villain if he succeeded.

28 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Do you not understand that there is more to a context than just those two overly narrow portrayals; that there is such a thing as evil vs evil; that neither side has to be sympathetic or the good guys; that both can be greedy, power hungry and destructive, to others and to themselves; that one isn’t any better than the other just because they seek out a more powerful weapon to gain an edge; and that one can still be in a war with magical monsters arguably powerful enough to require the Emeralds, potentially win that war, and then still go on to desire more and more power after the matter to expand his empire and do the whole all over again with a new enemy in his path without any change as to who we already see him as: a power hungry conquerer who succumbed to his own greed?

Because that’s the context I’ve already outlined and explained to you from the start that you keep ignoring. Again, we’re not putting Pachacamac in a better light; we’re not making him a good guy; we’re not making the Zeti so ultra-scary that he’s forced to use something that he probably didn’t need that led to his tribe getting wiped out by a third party because he didn’t want to look for any other alternatives to this hypothetical; we’re not even changing the Zeti’s personalities from their silliness or vices.

To put it in even simpler terms: Pachacamac would still be a greedy, power hungry conquerer who wanted the Emeralds, not just because it would give him an edge over the Zeti, but because it would let him continue being a greedy power hungry conquerer.

How much more does this really need to be spelled out? Because trust me, I have yet to scratch the surface if you want to keep mincing words here.

18 minutes ago, azoo said:

And yeah there you go. Idk, it's an idea. I had an alternate story of this where it was just 06 but if everyone was birds

Holy fuck, you need to make this a whole fanfic. This. Sounds. AWESOME!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I wouldn't really say it makes him more sympathetic, because he still does those terrible things, so much as it makes thr situation less black and white and more nuanced.

If that's not your preference fine, but you're conflating sympathetic in the wrong context I think.

No it literally makes him more sympathetic to suggest that he was in a situation where he needed the Chaos Emeralds to defeat a threat to his tribe. You can say you're fine with adding that wrinkle, or that you want to add that wrinkle because it makes the entire situation more interesting to you, but there's no point in pretending that you're not adding it at all. I think Sonic Battle/Chronicles already did it anyway so it wouldn't even be without precedent(I didn't like it that much there either.)

Personally, I don't think there's a situation that could justify causing physical harm to Tikal morally, but I digress!

24 minutes ago, azoo said:

I rewrote 06 a while ago to be about Blaze. Since yeah, the "Sol-" thing has bothered me for years. But it also led me to kinda dig into how the Sonic series made so many ideas based around middle-eastern influence, and how I can bring those together. So effectively we're writing out Rush, 06, Riders and Secret Rings all in one swoop; but kinda better using their ideas at the same time. Anyways, here it is.

036ac50a68832cd684a9a73ea33f8d35.png

Princess Blaze, her ceremony outfit, the Jeweled Scepter, and the Duke of Soleanna. A fusion of Blaze and Elise stuff of course.
b76f97f1f50b03f2e7c1eda691a324ab.png

Silver the Hedgehog, psycho-knight. Royal guard of Soleanna. Inspired partially by his prototype and Black Knight designs.
eff9cf7f11a300b536eb33a736932078.png

Iblis Djinn. Made from combining Mephiles, Erazor Djinn, Solaris and the Riders bird-genie together. Also fits the crest of Soleanna, no?

Story I had down was that long ago in the country of Soleanna, an evil griffon named Iblis Djinn (above) planned to take over the entire world by using the Sol Gems (not emeralds, gems. Imagine them being shaped like the jewel on Blaze's head.. and that that's one of them) to reincarnate into the demon-god Solaris, eviscerating the world in his flames. A single mage (not drawn) used a scepter (a redesigned Jeweled Scepter, mixed with the vase concealing Mephiles from 06) to capture Solaris. But the flames cursed the mage, leaving her with his powers, titled "The Flames of Disaster". The mage was hailed the savior of their nation and was appointed as the queen, but her fear of losing control to her powers caused her to shy away.

Cut to a few centuries later, and the Duke (who resembles Big intentionally; imagine Sonic or whoever reacting confusedly to him) has his daughter, Princess Blaze, initiated into the process of becoming queen. But as the ceremony begins, Eggman arrives in desire to seek out these supposed Sol Gems as well as the secrets of what lies inside the scepter. Sonic does as he does and crashes the already-crashed party, but in the process the Duke (along with the scepter) gets kidnapped by Eggman! Sonic tries to work with the bullheaded Blaze, who takes matters into her own hands, much to the chagrin of Silver, the head of the Soleanna Royal Guard as appointed by the Duke, of whom was instructed to take care of matters for the princess due to her family's "condition". Silver wants to look out for Blaze as he's always cared about her, but Blaze has hardly acknowledged him due to life forcing her into a loner state.

As Sonic, Blaze and Silver make chase in different directions to Eggman, shenanigans happen (probably from the three butting heads) that cause the scepter to be destroyed, freeing a conniving Iblis Djinn. Eggman kinda knows this song and dance already ("I've already been granted wishes before by far more capable beasts than you" as a nice SA2 callback), but he plays along with him anyway as the two discuss working together for their own needs (Iblis wants his Flames back, Eggman wants the gems). 

I don't really have the stuff in between here and the end figured completely out, but the game becomes about Sonic chasing down Eggman, Blaze seeking to save her father but needing the Sol Gems to do it, and Silver trying to seek Sonic/Blaze as he defends the country from the threat of Iblis Djinn's rising forces. As the plot continues onward, Blaze finds herself hunted by Iblis Djinn and finds that he's trying to get her to join his side or die so he can obtain the Flames of Disaster from her. Almost losing to him, Sonic rushes in to save the day, as their paths cross. Blaze then learns after talking and hanging with him for a while that she doesn't need to hold the weight of the world on her shoulders, as she begins to partner up more with Sonic during the adventure, as the two double-team it in securing the remaining Sol Gems and seeking out saving her father. Meanwhile, Silver also faces Iblis Djinn directly at the peak of his story (possibly about building a fortress around Soleanna using his mindpowers) and puts up a great fight against him when he arrives, but finds himself coaxed by Iblis Djinn into believing Sonic will make Blaze vulnerable enough to release the Flames of Disaster. 

At the end of the game, we find that Sonic and Blaze have together stomped Eggman, getting the Sol Gems and saving her father. During the course of the adventure, Sonic and Blaze have become good buddies, as Blaze has never opened to someone like this before. But we find Silver directly facing the two because of what Silver now believes about them. Silver defeats Sonic by throwing him off a cliff, seeming to kill him. Which causes Blaze to outburst in anger, but in turn she loses control of herself, thus fulfilling the plans Iblis Djinn desired. The ruined landscape left over is Crisis City, a world nearly void of life except a raging inferno, Silver, and a wounded (but still breathing) Sonic. Realizing his actions, Silver carries Sonic toward the inferno in the distance, knowing that must be where Blaze is.

Blaze, engulfed by flames, is tearing the world apart. Silver tries to fight it (booosss baaattleeee) only to find himself struggling. Feeling like he's lost all hope and has failed as a royal guard in the biggest way, Sonic regains consciousness and tries to help him out, knowing he's a good dude that means well. Silver sees what Blaze sees in the guy, and realizes that's it. He gets Sonic where he needs to go, and Sonic takes it from there, breaking through the vortex to Blaze in the center. Upon realizing Sonic is alive, she starts to calm down, and the Flames leave her body and the vortex stops. But just as she's let go; Iblis Djinn appears and absorbs the remnants of the Flames, becoming Solaris (all according to plan baby; have her release the power, let her lose grip of it, take it and take over). The three use the Sol Gems to turn into Burning forms or whatever and they stop him, idk, I didn't get this far. Eggman is here somewhere lmao.

Blaze's "arc" and using Sonic as a way to explore that are good, but Silver feels like an extreme loose end now. His futuristic look doesn't really mesh well with the knight shtick or the rest of the aesthetic of the kingdom. I'd suggest reworking him entirely(You can replace him with an entirely different character or an OC if you want, no need to play by the rules) Or just cutting him. His whole "future" plot thread might still be worth exploring in an entirely separate game where you can play with how time has affected the cast.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

No it literally makes him more sympathetic to suggest that he was in a situation where he needed the Chaos Emeralds to defeat a threat to his tribe.

It really doesn’t unless you want to go so far as to apply that logic with some of history’s most genocidal conquerers or imperialist empires who still did good things for their people. Or for Eggman who seeks the Emeralds to conquer the world and wipe out threats to his goals.

Yes, I went there, because nothing about seeking a more powerful weapon over their enemies inherently makes them the good guys.

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Blaze's "arc" and using Sonic as a way to explore that are good, but Silver feels like an extreme loose end now. His futuristic look doesn't really mesh well with the knight shtick or the rest of the aesthetic of the kingdom. I'd suggest reworking him entirely(You can replace him with an entirely different character or an OC if you want, no need to play by the rules) Or just cutting him. His whole "future" plot thread might still be worth exploring in an entirely separate game where you can play with how time has affected the cast.

I agree, and I honestly did consider cutting him, since I think the story works better with him not being there.

He's just there because I didn't want people to be too divisive on the plot's changes. He deserves his own game separate to this plot.. whether that's a Sonic game akin to what you're saying OR an attempt to bring Fifth Phantom Saga (RIP Sonic Team's hopes and dreams) back to life, idk yet lol.

EDIT: Including this old pic for giggles and shits

cody collins on Twitter: "ah dude I loved sonic 06 that game was great… "

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

It makes him more sympathetic because there is an actual threat he is protecting his people from, even if he's still the initial aggressor and a bastard in general. If Tikal got her way and Pachacamac stood down, maybe the Zeti go on to kill a whole bunch of innocent echidnas. Would Pachy be entirely in the wrong for not listening to a child when the safety of his empire was at stake?

The situation being black and white was kind of the point. Pachacamac was a bad person. He didn't do what he did because he had to, he did it because he wanted power.

5 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

You seem to be implying

45 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Like seriously dude, put more thought and read what is being said instead of twisting it into what you want it to mean.

Again, we’re not putting Pachacamac in a better light; we’re not making him a good guy

I've said nothing about you or anyone else making him a good guy. Once again you are the one framing this in absolutes.

we’re not making the Zeti so ultra-scary that he’s forced to use something that he probably didn’t need

On 9/4/2021 at 1:38 AM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

After seeing them in Lost Worlds, it would be a major step up in how threatening they would be if they were the reason Pachacamac needed the Master Emerald’s power.

Because I have yet to scratch the surface here.

That much is true.

7 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

It really doesn’t unless you want to go so far as to apply that logic with some of history’s most genocidal conquerers or imperialist empires who still did good things for their people. Or for Eggman who seeks the Emeralds to conquer the world and wipe out threats to his goals.

Yes, I went there, because nothing about seeking a more powerful weapon over their enemies inherently makes them the good guys.

I didn't say it makes him a good guy. I said it makes him more sympathetic than he was previously.

3 minutes ago, azoo said:

I agree, and I honestly did consider cutting him, since I think the story works better with him not being there.

He's just there because I didn't want people to be too divisive on the plot's changes. He deserves his own game separate to this plot.. whether that's a Sonic game akin to what you're saying OR an attempt to bring Fifth Phantom Saga (RIP Sonic Team's hopes and dreams) back to life, idk yet lol.

Taking 4-5 Sonic games from 2005-2009 and turning them into one Sonic game leaves a pretty big gap in the series release schedule. Making a game about Blaze first and then another one about Silver after that wouldn't be a huge stretch.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I've said nothing about you or anyone else making him a good guy. Once again you are the one framing this in absolutes.

If he’s “inherently” the more sympathetic in a conflict between the D6, he is “inherently” the “good guy” between the two. 

And to make this even more clear, I’m not making him any more sympathetic—I’m making him no better than the D6.

You got it?

1 minute ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If he’s “inherently” the more sympathetic in a conflict between the D6, he is “inherently” the “good guy” between the two. 

Have you even read anything that I've said this whole time? This isn't about comparing him to the D6, it's about comparing one situation to the other, a situation where he is wholly the aggressor and there's no sign of any meaningful opposition to his brutal expansionist empire, and one where he's gotten embroiled in a war against a group that may be just as brutal to his innocent civilians as he is to others. Even if he's still an evil bastard both ways, he's more sympathetic when he is acting in part to protect his people than when he is simply seeking more power to destroy and conquer.

And even if this was about comparing Pachy to the D6 this would still be nonsense. You try to lecture to me about context and evil vs evil and now you go and pretend like you don't understand that both sides can be evil while not being exactly the same evil, as if one side of the conflict has to be good simply because there's some sympathetic element there. Like, if I say Forces is better than '06, do you think I'm saying Forces is a good game?

42 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Taking 4-5 Sonic games from 2005-2009 and turning them into one Sonic game leaves a pretty big gap in the series release schedule. Making a game about Blaze first and then another one about Silver after that wouldn't be a huge stretch.

True, though alternatively imagining a world where 2000s ST could make whatever games they wanted while Sonic gets an entry once every 3-5 years is a world I could appreciate, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Have you even read anything that I've said this whole time?

Word for word. Why do you think I keep repeating myself?

This isn't about comparing him to the D6, it's about comparing one situation to the other, a situation where he is wholly the aggressor and there's no sign of any meaningful opposition to his brutal expansionist empire, and one where he's gotten embroiled in a war against a group that may be just as brutal to his innocent civilians as he is to others. Even if he's still an evil bastard both ways, he's more sympathetic when he is acting in part to protect his people than when he is simply seeking more power to destroy and conquer.

Which is a completely different context from what was laid out from the start. Because under a completely different light, the D6 could just be another faction that refused to submit to his rule, which then Pachacamac became the one to throw the first stone, the D6 fought back and were stronger than Pachacamac anticipated, which he then decides to seek the emeralds for an edge and got wiped out by Chaos in the process—under this context, while Pachacamac would be wanting his people to flourish under his rule, the Deadly Six would be more sympathetic because they simply wanted to mind their own business, and because of their history they develop a bad blood for echidnas in general.

See what I’m saying about it not being black and white? And that’s just one scenario—you can craft dozens of others under the umbrella of Pachacamac seeking the Emeralds to gain an edge over the D6 because reasons, but that general hypothetical doesn’t automatically imply Pachacamac is the more sympathetic of the two parties.

And even if this was about comparing Pachy to the D6 this would still be nonsense. You try to lecture to me about context and evil vs evil and now you go and pretend like you don't understand that both sides can be evil while not being exactly the same evil, as if one side of the conflict has to be good simply because there's some sympathetic element there.

Yes, because the point is that neither one is inherently sympathetic to begin with—nothing they would do to each other is worth sympathizing with either one, which is what I’ve been saying the entire time.

Like, if I say Forces is better than '06, do you think I'm saying Forces is a good game?

Compared to ‘06, most definitely—and I’d agree even if Forces still misses all my marks. Do you really want to have that discussion too?

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

No it literally makes him more sympathetic to suggest that he was in a situation where he needed the Chaos Emeralds to defeat a threat to his tribe. You can say you're fine with adding that wrinkle, or that you want to add that wrinkle because it makes the entire situation more interesting to you, but there's no point in pretending that you're not adding it at all. I think Sonic Battle/Chronicles already did it anyway so it wouldn't even be without precedent(I didn't like it that much there either.)

Personally, I don't think there's a situation that could justify causing physical harm to Tikal morally, but I digress!

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

It makes him more sympathetic because there is an actual threat he is protecting his people from, even if he's still the initial aggressor and a bastard in general. If Tikal got her way and Pachacamac stood down, maybe the Zeti go on to kill a whole bunch of innocent echidnas. Would Pachy be entirely in the wrong for not listening to a child when the safety of his empire was at stake?

The situation being black and white was kind of the point. Pachacamac was a bad person. He didn't do what he did because he had to, he did it because he wanted power.

*shrug* I'm only speaking for myself here; there are plenty of stories I've read of characters doing bad things for "good" reasons and not changing the fact that they're bad.

I'm not saying if it should be done or not, just that it doesn't change much for myself but I can see why you feel otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1