Awoo.

What's up with Eggman Nega's name?

Austroid

Eggman_Nega_Trivia_Tokyo_2020.thumb.jpg.2857e5d4f8693698b1032aed2614e632.jpg

Obviously this character hasn't had the best in terms of consistency, but I'm just wondering: if Nega hates his descendant so much, and doesn't even like being associated with him, why does he use the "Eggman" moniker? Why not go by something else, like "Nega Robotnik?" This could've been a great way to continually weave in both names to the series, and maybe reveal that Nega wanted to use his family's true name to distinguish himself from the "Egg-side of the family" as it were. 

It's the result of the weird change from him being a double of Eggman than him being a descendant of him.

But I think that a good in-universe explaination could be with how obsessive Nega can be : he decided to call himself Eggman Nega because of some kind of strange logic because he feel the need to show that he is the opposite (negative) of Eggman. (At first I would say that it could be a name he choose for the deception he played in the Rush, but Silver know him too by that name, so I suppose that he use it as well in the future).

As Eggman's descendant, Nega could also literally just be his last name.

Like, Eggman might be Ivo Robotnik, but 200 years down the road, some of his descendants (due to marriage or any number of other reasons) might have different last names. Hence, "Nega" might just be what's on his birth certificate. Maybe "Eggman" is too - like, he was named after his ancestor directly.

• Thumbs Up 1

In universe: That's probably his real name, unlike Eggman himself.

Out of universe: They didn't fully account for the retcon of his true origins by giving him a proper name.

Voodoo Shark: He's Eggman Nega because Eggman was always just Eggman in Japan, they wanted to use the same voice clips for both stories, and wanted the resemblance to be something of a trojan horse.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Voodoo Shark: He's Eggman Nega because Eggman was always just Eggman in Japan, they wanted to use the same voice clips for both stories, and wanted the resemblance to be something of a trojan horse.

Though even Japan adapted in the "Robotnik" family name starting with SA2.

My personal headcanon is, because he was so obsessive with making up for his ancestor's failings, he's sort of trying to reclaim the name - when people think "Eggman", they will no longer think of the scientist who's plans were thwarted time and time again, they will think of Eggman Nega, the one who succeeded.  He doesn't seek to just be better than Eggman and create his own, seperate legacy under his own name - he seeks to overwrite and destroy the legacy of the Eggman name.

• Thumbs Up 6

@JezMM explanation works really well. Although considering Rush games I like to think Nega at least at starts though he can fix Eggman with his help. But after 2 defeats (which were CLEARLY Eggman fault, not his) he gave up on him and decide to just beat if not destroy him, thus Rival games.

Cruel joke is that Nega thinks he's so much better, when in reality he's much lesser than Eggman, at least as scientist. He's from far future but all his tech is comparable to Eggman. He's probably a genius for recreating lost tech, rather then improving it.

...I have a strange though. What if Eggman one day reforms and retires from evil? That would explain when he ever found time to get laid and have a kid. And that would be another reason for Nega to be mad at him.

I feel like Eggman reforming would be only satisfying end to his story. He's too lovable, deep down there is Tinker in his heart. It even fits with his admiration for Gerald. He wanted to avenge his grandpa, but just like Shadow he might one day realize this isn't what he would wanted (you know, before going insane).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

@JezMM explanation works really well. Although considering Rush games I like to think Nega at least at starts though he can fix Eggman with his help. But after 2 defeats (which were CLEARLY Eggman fault, not his) he gave up on him and decide to just beat if not destroy him, thus Rival games.

That's been by thought as well.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Cruel joke is that Nega thinks he's so much better, when in reality he's much lesser than Eggman, at least as scientist. He's from far future but all his tech is comparable to Eggman. He's probably a genius for recreating lost tech, rather then improving it.

Huh. You know, I never really thought about that. There's even the fact that he apparently stole the camera.

42 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Huh. You know, I never really thought about that. There's even the fact that he apparently stole the camera.

Stolen Camera

Data about Ifrit comes from Gerald's Journal, not his

Metal Sonic 3.0

His name and whole look

Do we need more proof that he has no original bone in his body? (I mean, half of this is just his creators being lazy, but I can run with that and pretend it's intentional.)

4 hours ago, batson said:

Eggman Nega has the best name in the series.

Ugh.

He's definitely the Sonic character whose name I always enunciate very carefully and very clearly for obvious reasons.