Awoo.

The Sonic CD Zones Are In The Wrong Order

CertifiedNobody

I was watching Game Apologist's Sonic CD video and came to the realization that the game's story works so much better if you put Stardust Speedway after Metallic Madness.

Metal Sonic is hyped up throughout the game, is on every cover for the game, and is arguably it's biggest selling point. His race is a much more dramatic finale than Robotnik's weird spinning-box-inator. Remove that in-game cutscene with Amy appearing in Metallic Madness and it works better canonically as well, since Stardust Speedway ends with Sonic saving Amy and Robotnik escaping in his Eggmobile, the same way the ending cutscene begins.

• Thumbs Up 2

This makes a lot more sense personally. Additionally, this would make it so the final zone isn't difficult and scary as usual. Stardust Speedway's really upbeat and colorful, it would be a nice change. Though, at this point I've played CD so many times I wouldn't be used to a different level order.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah, I think it's fine as it is. Metal simply isn't the game's main villain, he's a stepping stone. You take out your doppelganger and rescue the damsel, then you head for the big bad in his home base to save the whole planetoid. It'd take a lot more than just flipping the encounters to make the reverse work out properly.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think the zone order is fine.

Metal Sonic is the shiny new threat, but Eggman's still the mastermind. It makes sense thematically for him to be the final encounter.

I would agree that Metallic Madness has a kind of anticlimactic boss though. It feels like just another zone boss, not "end of game" material. Christian Whitehead actually had some concepts for a new final boss for his 2011 port of the game, but ultimately wasn't able to implement them.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Christian Whitehead actually had some concepts for a new final boss for his 2011 port of the game, but ultimately wasn't able to implement them.

Wonder if he already had SEGA's trust it would've been implemented, like Sonic 2's Hidden Palace. But since it was his first official work for them, I imagine they didn't wanted to let him go too far.