Awoo.

TMNT Goes Nickelodeon

Senator NinjaShark

18 minutes ago, Kevin said:

As much of a shame to see the current series ending since it was very good, I find their choice to use 2D animation in the next series an interesting one.

We have a season of the current show left, as a set of Anthology Arcs, which should be fun, especially the one with the 80's Bebop and Rocksteady(them teaming up with Nick B&R would be awesome)

• 2 months later...

Two matters to address. Matter #1: Tales of the TMNT will be back in the states on June 18th with a one-hour special featuring the return of the Turtles' Salamandrian allies as well as Newtralizer.

Matter #2: Similar to the three shorts they released last year for SDCC, Nickelodeon will be releasing several "TMNT Summer Shorts" throughout the season. The first just dropped, Teenage MECHA Ninja Turtles:

IT'S LIKE TMNT MEETS BATMAN BEYOND AND IT'S AWESOME. That is all.

• Thumbs Up 5

15 minutes ago, Hello Yello CC14 said:

Two matters to address. Matter #1: Tales of the TMNT will be back in the states on June 18th with a one-hour special featuring the return of the Turtles' Salamandrian allies as well as Newtralizer.

Matter #2: Similar to the three shorts they released last year for SDCC, Nickelodeon will be releasing several "TMNT Summer Shorts" throughout the season. The first just dropped, Teenage MECHA Ninja Turtles:

IT'S LIKE TMNT MEETS BATMAN BEYOND AND IT'S AWESOME. That is all.

That ending though! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Woah, hey that short was really good. I'd totally be down with a show like that!

• Thumbs Up 1

The next TMNT episode doesn't look like a special. Heck, it doesn't look special at all. Good ol' Nick has always been talented at hyping up average episodes like they're special, haven't they?

• 1 month later...

Another update on Tales! It'll be back in the states for the Usagi arc starting July 23rd. However, ANOTHER arc is also coming soon, but not via the airwaves:

jKCkJmb.jpg

This here DVD will be releasing September 12th featuring four episodes TWO MONTHS in advance of their airing. (Which means we can assume that they'll be airing in November.) While one of them is a one-off focusing on Splinter's earliest days of being a mutant, the other three will form a new arc, that as you can tell by Bebop and Rocksteady's costumes and the classic-style Technodrome on the cover, will be another crossover featuring the 1987 cartoon characters. Here's the full skinny:

Wanted: Bebop & Rocksteady - When 80's Shredder and Krang appear in our dimension, they employ Bebop & Rocksteady, and find their plans are succeeding better than ever.
The Foot Walks Again! - The Turtles must train their '80s counterparts to face a greater threat than they've ever encountered.
The Big Blow-Out - The Turtles enlist the help of the Mighty Mutanimals to stop Bebop and Rocksteady.
Lone Rat and Cubs - When Splinter is first mutated, he must learn to survive the life of a mutant on the run while also protecting four baby mutant turtles.

Looks like Nick B&R found themselves some new bosses and 80's Shredder and Krang found an actually useful Bebop and Rocksteady! (Classic B&R will also be featured in the episodes, as leaked via a script that Rob Paulsen shared on Twitter a while ago.) Gotta say, I love the idea of this and find it to be a much more interesting way to mash up the two worlds than Trans-Dimensional Turtles. It being three episodes also means that it'll have some room to breathe and be able to take full advantage of crossover stuff. More Mutanimals action don't hurt either.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd bump this topic with news of the series finale:

Ow the Edge.

This 3-part movie airs this Friday, 9/22 on Nicktoons. 

I like how in almost every continuity that shows the Turtles' future, it's almost always a future that's gone to shit. Mirage, Archie, 4Kids, even IDW. They can't catch a break.

In all seriousness, I completely forgot about this series after I dropped it when they returned from space (God, what a stupid arc) and wasn't even sure it was still airing. So I guess this is their big send-off, huh? I might actually check it out.

According to Wikipedia, after September 22 there's still 7 episodes to air. Though, production-wise, these seem to be the finale. Kind of weird to air the finale out of order.

Anyway, it looks really great. Is Donny in a suit, or is he a robot?

Edit: Oh, 10 seconds there's a better view of him. He seems to be a cyborg. Cool.,

Yeah, they just randomly decided to move the rest of the eps to Nicktoons, STARTING with the final arc. After that, they're airing the four-part Halloween Monster arc in late September and early October and the last arc to air in general will be the '87 crossover arc that's already out on DVD. It's a bit of a mess.

1 minute ago, Bop and Rock CC14 said:

Yeah, they just randomly decided to move the rest of the eps to Nicktoons, STARTING with the final arc. After that, they're airing the four-part Halloween Monster arc in late September and early October and the last arc to air in general will be the '87 crossover arc that's already out on DVD. It's a bit of a mess.

So... it's basically Korra all over again.

EDIT: Wait, no. That sounds worse than what they did to Korra lol

Well, Nicktoons at least seems to still be TV instead of their website.

But, come one, this looks like a great way to end the series on. With that fox girl hugging Raph, I think the Turtles dying and passing on their legacy to a new generation would be pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I like how in almost every continuity that shows the Turtles' future, it's almost always a future that's gone to shit. Mirage, Archie, 4Kids, even IDW. They can't catch a break.

In all seriousness, I completely forgot about this series after I dropped it when they returned from space (God, what a stupid arc) and wasn't even sure it was still airing. So I guess this is their big send-off, huh? I might actually check it out.

I've not seen an episode since Season 4 (Although it's mainly more because I got completely sick of Nick UK's assaine episode delays). This sendoff looks like it could be pretty cool (Even if it looks like they're trying to pull Old Man Logan on us it seems), so I'm in the same camp of having to give it a go.

Still though, it's going to be immensely difficult to top the 2003 show's future episode.

How odd that they decided to air them already on Nicktoons before doing so on the regular Nick channel. Heck, they're advertising them as Monsters vs Mutants and describing it as a World Premiere.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this topic with a major announcement: Next Thursday, Feb 1, Nick will reveal the new character designs for Rise of the TMNT on a livestream:

Let's hope these new turtles don't look as bad as their descriptions sound. (Still don't like Raph taking Leo's personality)

30 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

(Still don't like Raph taking Leo's personality)

Based on the descriptions, I don't think that's what they're doing. There'd be no reason for them to put Raphael in the leadership role if it wasn't going to be the same character. I have pretty low expectations for this show (because I honestly didn't like 2012 as time went on and eventually dropped it, I don't expect this to be much better), but one thing that really intrigues me, especially as a fan of Raphael, is him being the leader. His short temper and difficult personality is in complete contrast to what he should be doing, while Leo's new freespirited/charismatic nature means he'll just get people to follow him naturally, and that'll lead to the two clashing for completely different reasons (I'm only taking a guess, but that's what I took away as their intention, mind). I couldn't see them making that decision and just swapping out personalities... but honestly, who knows.

Designs have leaked, and they're pret-ty unique:

UpxKlRm.jpg

MVrw2hN.jpg

Wtimbmu.jpg

fFySGP8.jpg

3ptYN6d.jpg

CuByTtt.jpg

psvFu1z.jpg

Gonna have to see the final show to make proper judgment, but they're certainly interesting. The Turtles all being different types of terrapins is pretty neat (Especially like Raph as a snapping turtle), but the tonfa and Mikey's flail thingy are strange choices. Only one I'm not really feeling in any way is Splinter. He looks like a rat version of the God Pigeon from Animaniacs. XD Curious to see a trailer now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, as if the changes to Leo and Raph weren't enough, those designs have officially turned me off the show.

Wow those designs look incredibly off putting. I need to see it in motion because I remember when the 2012 version of the show was first announced I thought the designs did look lame especially with Donnie having gap teeth then they grew on me so we'll see how it goes. 

Ehhh, yeah, anyone else feel like going back to 2K3 right now? Cause I sure would after seeing these monstrosities.

MVrw2hN.jpg

I see they replaced Raph's sai with tonfa, just like Mikey in Next Mutation. It was an idiotic decision then, and it makes even less sense here. And I can understand bulking him up to emphasize he's the muscle, but even Boom!Knuckles would accuse this guy of steroid abuse!

Wtimbmu.jpg

Is it just me, or does Mikey look incredibly feminine here? And why'd they turn his nunchucks into some Beyblade yo-yo?

fFySGP8.jpg

Leo actually looks kinda-alright, aside from the smug shit-eating grin that makes me want to punch him. I like the red eye-markings and slim body. But why does he only have one sword?

3ptYN6d.jpg

I see the artists were a big fan of Bay's TMNT. But Donnie's design is way too busy.

CuByTtt.jpg

I was fine with making April black, but this looks nothing like April O' Neil. This girl looks like she could belong to any modern flash cartoon.

psvFu1z.jpg

Splinter is by far the worst. Fat, scrunched-up face, jagged proportions, and like April, he looks like he belongs in a different show.

Overall, I'd say these are the weakest TMNT designs, second only to Next Mutation. (Though not by much) I can't even see myself buying toys of these guys, and this is coming from an obsessive action figure fan. Can't see myself enjoying this show very much.

Come to think of it, looking at Splinter, he looks like some kind of Ren and Stimpy anthro version of Uncle Iroh from Avatar.

And yeah, this April doesn't feel like an April at all. Reminds me more of Bumblebee from Titan East or some extra fitting in The Proud Family.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some new info from the livestream:

>"We're not changing much. It's still all about brotherhood, action, and tons of pizza."

>The leaked designs are real

>April's bat has some sort of power

>They wanted to make a "contemporary teenager" with April whilst keeping the core of her character

>Raph's a snapping turtle and has "a lot of respect from his brothers."

>The turtles' proportions are related to what species of turtle they are.

>Raph's new VA is "a big teddy bear", and "a lot of fun."

>Raph's still an "act before thinking" kinda guy.

>Donnie's a soft-shell turtle, "in more ways than one", and more confident than before. He has a new sidekick and multiple cybernetic shells he can switch out. One has a personality.

>Donnie's VA is "soft-spoken, but charming."

>Donnie has a major emphasis on coding, and is less "nerdy." A major sci-fi fan.His intellect is more specialized than previous incarnations, his fields of expertise being robotics, engineering, and math.

>No comment on whether Donnie still has a crush on April here.

>Splinter's "a good entry point" for the humor. He loves his Turtles but is still strict. Enjoys TV.

>Splinter's a rat who became a humanoid mutant in this show. He's based on a Russian Blue Dwarf rat.

>Leo's got "swagger." He's incredibly intelligent, but free-spirited and a smart aleck. Very condescending.

>Leo's a red-eared slider turtle. His VA is "a lot of fun, and a talented writer."

>Leo will keep his rivalry with Raph and his bro-hood with Mikey, taking the latter under his wing. He tries to create his own catchphrases.

>Mikey's still the youngest. He embodies "little brother" characteristics. He's energetic and innocent. This show will emphasize his artistic side from the original comics.

>Mikey's a box-turtle. He likes to tag his shell with stickers.

>Mikey's VA is sharp, talented, and a total sweetheart.

>Mikey says, "Cowabunga!" again.

>No comment on Ice Cream Kitty.

>Crossovers with previous TMNT incarnations could happen.

>Splinter still makes funnies.

Gonna be honest: Some of my interest has been piqued again. Maybe I'll give this show a chance after all.