Awoo.

TMNT Goes Nickelodeon

Senator NinjaShark

I love the way Splinter looks. I love his markings, I love that he looks more like a rat in the face and head shape, I love his covered and reserved pose and overall design style. Splinter looks great.

The turtles are okay, but I can't help but be put off by the fact that their elbow and knee pads are so huge. At that point it would seem they'd be uncomfortable and unwieldy to wear.

And... wait, that's April? I was thinking "Who's the new chick?" Why is she a kid? D:

Edited by Nepenthe

I hate the overly goofy, blocky look. They look like characters from Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

I really loved the series on 4kids TV. That was a brilliant show with great animation style. The only thing it suffered from was being on 4kids TV so they had to make the show Y rated instead of PG or even Y7. They should just continue of that series.

• 2 weeks later...

What truly gets me interested in this series is that it incorporates at least a few elements from the original cartoon. The 2003 series was good, but i disliked how almost nothing was carried over from the 80's cartoon (with it instead being based on the original comic book). The 80's cartoon is what the vast majority of people think of when they hear the term "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" after all, so it only makes sense of new incarnations of the franchise to carie over some of that series famous elements, like Krang, the Pizza eating, April being a reporter, ect. Oh and not to mention the "Cowabunga!". Ninja Turtles without "Cowabunga" is like Bugs Bunny without "What's up Dock?" or Homer Simpson without "Do'h!". :P

And while it appears that even in this new series relatively few 80's cartoon elements are retained, im still thankfull for what little of it is there.

^They gave a few nods to the old show (Mikey shouting "Cowabunga,"April wearing a yellow jumpsuit in one episode, an Utrom named Kraang, Gen dressed up as Rocksteady, etc.) but it wasn't their intent to duplicate the show itself. They were just wanted to satisfy to the Turtle fans who got into the Mirage comics that were displeased with the light-hearted tone the series had.

I could see myself watching this but the April design is my only issue. She looks like she has a high possibility of being annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have a trailer!

Thoughts? I think it's looking pretty fun, but I suppose you can't really judge much from such a short promo. Neat that the theme song is a remix of the 80's one.

• Thumbs Up 4

We have a trailer!

Thoughts? I think it's looking pretty fun, but I suppose you can't really judge much from such a short promo. Neat that the theme song is a remix of the 80's one.

Remix of the 80's one? That's really cool, I'm glad they are trying to make it more like the 80's cartoon.

As long as Shredder isn't a total joke, there's actual plot and character development, and the Turtles use their weapons for more than destroying machinery, then I'm fine with a few 80's send-ups. tongue.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Dat trailer....wub.png

Though the clips were sort of fast-paced, the animation already looks better than PoM and KFP: LoA.

And the voices sound like great fits for the Turtles.

Fall can't come soon enough.

from what I've seen, the series doesn't look half bad, and I'm really glad that the turtles are back again. my only real complaint is the design, its ATROCIOUS. they hardly even look like turtles. on paper, the design generally doesn't look that bad, but when rendered in CG, it s just god awful. honestly, I have to say this is the ugliest the turtles have ever looked, (and I've seen turtles 3)...but i digress. what matters is that the turtles will be shared with another generation of children once again. but DAMN do i hate that new design :/

Fair enough if you don't like their designs, but honestly, absolutely none of the incarnations of the TMNT- even the originals comic designs- have ever looked like real turtles. Ever. :|

Personally, my major complaint about this is one of televised 3D animation as a whole, in that- for whatever reason- the animators don't employ the "always moving" rule, which basically means there always needs to be some character movement, whether major or minor, to keep them from looking dead since very nature of CGI ignites higher standards of artistry in order to achieve believability. That pose-to-pose movement without any follow-through or secondary stuff like foot shifting or breathing or anything just aggravates the living nerd out of me.

But I digress, when stuff is actually moving, it's very charming. I like the cartoony motion blur on the weaponry, what follow-through and timing is there makes the character animation so much better and enjoyable to watch, the employment of anime and comic tropes like onomatopoeia and shrinking characters, and even the stylization of the explosion, serve the overall art aesthetic well. I'm still liking this so far.

• Thumbs Up 3

Fair enough if you don't like their designs, but honestly, absolutely none of the incarnations of the TMNT- even the originals comic designs- have ever looked like real turtles. Ever. :|

Personally, my major complaint about this is one of televised 3D animation as a whole, in that- for whatever reason- the animators don't employ the "always moving" rule, which basically means there always needs to be some character movement, whether major or minor, to keep them from looking dead since very nature of CGI ignites higher standards of artistry in order to achieve believability. That pose-to-pose movement without any follow-through or secondary stuff like foot shifting or breathing or anything just aggravates the living nerd out of me.

But I digress, when stuff is actually moving, it's very charming. I like the cartoony motion blur on the weaponry, what follow-through and timing is there makes the character animation so much better and enjoyable to watch, the employment of anime and comic tropes like onomatopoeia and shrinking characters, and even the stylization of the explosion, serve the overall art aesthetic well. I'm still liking this so far.

I agree with that. Everything is pretty stilted, not to mention everything also moves very quickly. This is a problem I have with televised CGI; it always seems like a character must skip a few frames with every move they make.

Of course, everything else looks pretty great. The show looks like it'll be good old fashion fun, and the aesthetic is very creative, which I find better than the more clunky 80s design.

For those wondering who were voicing the Turtles, here's the list:

Leo: Jason Biggs (American Pie)

Raph: Sean Astin

Don: Rob Paulsen (Voiced Raph from the 80's series)

Mikey: Greg Cipes (Beast Boy from Teen Titans)

EDIT: As for April and Shredder. They will be played by Mae Whitman and Kevin Micheal Richardson.

2nd EDIT: KEVIN Micheal Richardson, thanks CC14.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

EDIT: As for April and Shredder. They will be played by Mae Whitman and Keith Micheal Richardson.

That'd be Kevin Michael Richardson, mate. ;)

@ Visionary: Hmm. I understand the animation is limited in some terms, such as with really obvious cycles and hard impacts and things, but I don't think that translates into everything's moving too quickly here, even the battle scenes. I never got the sense of that because the timing, follow-through, and anticipation is great here. Everything's on screen long enough for as long as it needs to be and no more. You'll see much, much faster in a good Bugs Bunny cartoon.

And I was just about to wonder if that really was Paulsen for Donny.

@ Visionary: Hmm. I understand the animation is limited in some terms, such as with really obvious cycles and hard impacts and things, but I don't think that translates into everything's moving too quickly here, even the battle scenes. I never got the sense of that because the timing, follow-through, and anticipation is great here. Everything's on screen long enough for as long as it needs to be and no more. You'll see much, much faster in a good Bugs Bunny cartoon.

And I was just about to wonder if that really was Paulsen for Donny.

As long as Shredder isn't a total joke, there's actual plot and character development, and the Turtles use their weapons for more than destroying machinery, then I'm fine with a few 80's send-ups. tongue.png

After the way he looked in the trailer, I don't think that'll be the case.

We have a trailer!

Huh, it really does come off as attempting to be this generations late 80's TMNT cartoon. Not a bad thing BTW.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a bump!

This time we've got our first look at the opening sequence which pays a nice homage to the 80's Turtles show: http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/tmnt-main-title-opening.html

A clip from the show: http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles.html

Seems we're not getting Rocksteady & Bebop this time, but what I think might be an eel and a wolverine.

I wish Rapheal acted like his good ol' wise-cracking self instead of that always in a bad mood turtle.

The opening sequence was good, and the theme song was decent. It will probably grow on me. That clip was fun, and the CG looks better than most TV CG. The humors very goofy and corny, which is awesome, and its giving me a Teen Titans vibe. I'm looking forward to the premier.

As usual, things that I'm skeptical about at first always look better in motion. I like this, and the opening. Personally, I think this would've been better as another 2D show, but I've gotten over TV CG's limitations for the most part. We shouldn't expect TV CG to ever be as good as Movie CG anytime soon, same with how we don't expect 2D TV animated shows to look as good as their Movie counterparts. But even with that said, this show seems to get very creative with it's limitations, which I think more people making these types of CG shows should be doing. I liked the effects on the staff to get it looking fluid for example.

Edited by Inferno