Awoo.

TMNT Goes Nickelodeon

Senator NinjaShark

My problem isn't so much the look, but the movements/animations. They just aren't very fluid looking. It's almost like there isn't any animation in between the first frame and the last frame of a character's movement. I don't know... maybe I've been spoiled by MLP's incredible art style.

I actually like the animation alot. Not saying I prefer a "jerky" look, but I do like what they're going for in TMNT with the CG, as it's doing things that I've never seen TV CGI shows do before. It's clear that they don't have the biggest budget to work with, but they're so creative in how they go about it that I almost don't care. Stuff like how the objects the characters hold literally change shape when being spun to look smoother and stuff like that. In contrast, while I do like the look of MLP's art style, the general "smoothness" of the animation itself, like most flash cartoons, kinda looks too 'streamlined' and overly bouncy to me, in comparison to regular 2D Cel animation.

Edited by The Rotary Rotom

I was pleasently surprised with this show. Watched the plot and the latest episode and was impressed biggrin.png. Great use with the CGI, awsome interactions between the turtles (they act like actural brothers), lots of fan service to past TMNT movies/cartoons, good music (love the theme song) and overall good show; a thing that is sadly very rare on Nick outside of Avatar and the rare GOOD Spongebob episode. Lets hope the show maintains consitant quality.

Only just noticed this watching the first episode again.

Before the scene when the Turtles first discover Pizza, there is an earlier scene when Leo is saying if they can go to the surface for their 15th birthday. In this shot there is a Pizza picture on the furnace behind them. Only just noticed it.

That's only the family crest (or 'mon'). It's on Splinter's robe as well.

This is surprisingly good. I have mixed feelings on the animation, but the show has strong writing and characterization, which is what really counts. And it's a fresh, no-bullshit added take on the TMNT mythos. I'm really looking forward to more.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching the show online and so far I think it's awesome. The dialogue is quite good and humorous, the action scenes are great (especially episode nine where the turtles are fighting the Foot Clan with guitar playing in the background), the designs are original yet recognizable.

Oh and before I forget this show had the best version of Shredder and Splinter IMO.

• 2 months later...

Since new info for the show has come up it's time for a bump.

Exclusive: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Guest Cast Includes Roseanne BarrRoseanne Barr didn't make it to the White House, but the comedy star and former presidential candidate promises to be a force in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles universe. Barr has signed on to voice the character of Kraang Prime, who will show up later this year in the season finale. Barr joins a guest cast that includes Kelly Hu (Arrow) and Cassandra Peterson, the actress best known for portraying TV vampress Elvira. TV Guide Magazine earlier broke the news that Corey Feldman had joined the cast, which includes his fellow The Goonies co-star, Sean Astin. Nickelodeon hasn't released any information about Barr's character, but the Kraang is an alien species created for the new series based in part on Krang, a villain that has appeared in previous Ninja Turtles TV shows. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is back with new episodes starting Friday, Jan. 25, 7/6c with "I, Monster." In that episode, the Turtles face a new enemy, The Rat King. Nickelodeon will air a Ninja Turtles marathon that night as part of its "Total Turtle Takeover." After that, new episodes will premiere in the show's regular time slot, Saturdays at 11am/10c. Hu guests as Karai, a rebellious teenager and expert martial artist who stirs up trouble. "As lethal as she is beautiful, Karai brings a whole new level of chaos and complication for the Turtles," says the Nickelodeon description. She first appears in the episode "New Girl in Town," airing Feb. 2. Peterson voices Mrs. Campbell, a research scientist from the World Wide Genome Project. Her character, who debuts in the Feb. 9 episode "The Alien Agenda," takes a particular interest in April O'Neil.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Teenage-Mutant-1059297.aspx

And we also get our first encounter with this series Karai: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/30/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-karai-is-here-and-shes-ready-to-fight

Edited by BeelzeBummer
  • Thumbs Up 1

I get the feeling that Karai is going to eventually be revealed to be Splinter's daughter Miwa whom he thought died along with his wife prior to him moving to New York and Shredder would've rasied her as his own child.

Whether or not it'll happen, I just hope this Karai is better than her 2k3 couterpart since her whole 'honor vs loyalty to master' was kind of weakly executed.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

• 2 weeks later...

My initial reaction was along the lines  "What is this I don't even." but now I actually really really like this.

The humor is right up my ally, all the turtle are dorkier which put me off at first but I got used to it, partly due to the fact that's where a lot of said humor comes from.

The turtles look and sound more like teenagers, more like brothers, are obviously quite inexperienced with the outside world and both them and Splinter have obvious fear towards The Shredder.

Little details like Splinter reminding them to look both ways to cross the road, Raphael having a pet tortoise which he talks to,Leonardo watching a corny star-trek-esque cartoon and repeating it's dialogue with great accuracy, help make them more quirky and sympathetic.

I like that each of the turtles now has their own face and eye color making them instantly recognizable and I don't have to wonder to myself "Who has this color mask again?" anymore, I seriously had that problem.

I also like that they have more of a traceur's physique, look a lot less heavy and clunky for their feats of agility and speed.

Nit pick: How the hell do turtles get punched in the gut? The shells do nothing, apparently.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't been keeping up with the show that much, but I just got (almost) caught up through a bit of binge-watching and...and...and I'm sorry, I know my posts are sometimes too lengthy but I need to GUSH. Even though there will only be mild spoilers at best, I'll tag it just to save some room.

I could never get into the 2003 series, so I never really had high hopes for this one. Once they started showing off the cheap-looking animation style, that just seemed to be the final nail in the coffin. And I do still admit, the animation is a very mixed bag. It works great when they deliberately use it as a living comic book or give the turtles over-the-top anime expressions, but other times characters move stiffly and the settings look bland and lifeless. New York should not feel this empty.

Animation woes aside, the writing manages to carry the show all by itself. THIS is how you reboot TMNT. I always felt like the 2003 series took itself too seriously for its own good, which is why I was never interested in it. I suppose you could argue that the original comic was even darker and that the 80's cartoon was comparatively too lighthearted and silly, but let's face it: the comic was practically irrelevant in launching TMNT into the pop-culture icon it is now, that achievement completely and utterly lays with the cartoon. It's what people remember and what every new relaunch inevitably gets compared to. As such, I feel this new one is much more in line with the series roots, what the 80's cartoon would have been if it grew up a little. There's still some grim undertones with the origins of Splinter and Shredder and people getting turned into hideous freaks of nature, but the show still remembers to laugh. To put the turtles in ridiculous situations ("They defeated you with go-karts and a water balloon!?") and have them spew one-liners and pop-culture references in the heat of battle.

Where the show really excels is in the characters and the little things that round them out. Leonardo religiously watches a Star Trek-parody and admires its version of Captain Kirk, Raphael has a pet tortoise that he projects his insecurities onto, Donatello has a huge crush on April and makes incredibly complex flowcharts on how to get her to like him back, and Michelangelo, while perhaps in his most braindead incarnation ever, still manages to have these rare moments of wisdom due to his childish naivete. Even Splinter is shown to not be the flawless teacher he's always been. He has made huge mistakes in the past and is actually too strict with the turtles at times. And then there's April...

This is not the April we knew. This is not the bumbling news reporter who kept getting kidnapped by a pig and a rhino to be used as bait, no. This version of April is fucking awesome. She comes up with plans, she gathers intel through spying, and as the show progresses she's slowly starting to become more of an action girl. I would love to see her get an episode all to herself at some point, or for her current character-arc (which I won't mention for fear of spoilers) to get completely fulfilled by the end of the series.

I see this new version as TMNT's equivalent of Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic, not that god-awful cartoon). It reboots the mythos without being a drastic departure, taking characters and villains that were pure products of the 80's and giving them a modern facelift that still suits them (special props for the new and surprisingly sympathetic Leatherhead) If you're a TMNT fan and you haven't given this new show a shot, then do it.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 3

Funny thing is, this version of Leatherhead is pretty much the comic/2003 version only with his origin flipped around a bit. That's something I really love about this show: it successfully blends elements from literally everything TMNT-related, but has enough new ideas to be its own thing. It's a really new take on the universe while also paying homage to everything that's happened across the franchise's 29-year history. You can tell that the writers are big TMNT fans themselves, which is just awesome.

Edited by CC14 the Vipester
  • Thumbs Up 3

My initial reaction was along the lines  "What is this I don't even." but now I actually really really like this.

The humor is right up my ally, all the turtle are dorkier which put me off at first but I got used to it, partly due to the fact that's where a lot of said humor comes from.

The turtles look and sound more like teenagers, more like brothers, are obviously quite inexperienced with the outside world and both them and Splinter have obvious fear towards The Shredder.

Little details like Splinter reminding them to look both ways to cross the road, Raphael having a pet tortoise which he talks to,Leonardo watching a corny star-trek-esque cartoon and repeating it's dialogue with great accuracy, help make them more quirky and sympathetic.

I like that each of the turtles now has their own face and eye color making them instantly recognizable and I don't have to wonder to myself "Who has this color mask again?" anymore, I seriously had that problem.

I also like that they have more of a traceur's physique, look a lot less heavy and clunky for their feats of agility and speed.

Nit pick: How the hell do turtles get punched in the gut? The shells do nothing, apparently.

That's how I feel as well. I was skeptical at first, but I've really grown to like this new TMNT show. I've got to give credit to Nick for a job well done so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a trailer for a new XBLA/PSN TMNT game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIjCxilbKU

So uh...yeah. This is a thing. I'm confused. It has the Nickelodeon logo and the trailer mentions TCRI, but those turtle designs look nothing like the show. In fact, they don't really look the Ninja Turtles. At all. Seriously, what the fuck are these? They look more like alien lizard people. I hope these aren't based off of the movie's designs. Not that I have high hopes for that trash.

And thanks to Tmsp for linking to this in the statuses.

EDIT: I just found out there's so I suppose I should redirect this there.

Edited by Speederino

I just love the logic of making a game based on a TV series without using anything out of the TV series. |D

Anyway, I'm kind of pissed we don't seem to get a Wii U version. >__>

.....Yeah, not really liking these designs.

But then again, a lot of people said the same thing in regards to the Nick series designs when they were unveiled.

Just because they're mutants, doesn't mean they have to look unappealing.

• 5 weeks later...

Some new info on Season 2. Not only will retro mutant Mutagen Man be making a comeback as a major part of it (Very interested to see how they handle that), but the original 1987 TMNT voice cast will reunite for a one hour special! (It also seems to coincide with the brand's 30th anniversary, so think Turtles Forever, only with fewer union issues.)

I've gotta say, every single new detail that I hear about Season 2 is only making me more excited. I'm especially looking forward to the crossover special. Should be interesting to see how the old school Turtles look in CG and the hilarity that results from 80's Raph and New Don interacting. laugh.png (Here's hoping for some cameos from other parts of the TMNT multiverse, too.)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the latest episode, I have a theory.

What if Kurai is actually SPLINTER'S long-lost daughter? He thinks she's dead, but in reality she was just kidnapped and raised by Shredder? What better form of revenge then to turn somebody's own child against them!? And we already know Splinter and Shredder were after the same woman, so I have a hard time thinking that Shredder ever would have ever romanced someone else. The writers keep making us question her allegiance, and despite the ending to this week's episode I highly doubt we've seen the last of it. Revealing her true father would be a perfect way to make her despise Shredder.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't suprise me. Made the assumption myself on this same page.

Question is, how is she going to find out and what she'll do. I don't really picture her staying with the Turtles nor I don't think she'll stay with Shredder after learning who her real father is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see her staying with the Turtles either. For now I imagine she would become a Catwoman-esque thief/vigilante who is sometimes an ally.

That's probably the most obvious outcome, almost everything points to it being the case.

Which is gonna make things between her and Leo awkward to say the least.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So we got us a lot of new season 2 info thanks to these new sketches: http://www.nick.com/pictures/tmnt-season-two-sketches-pictures.html

Spoiler obviously, and I totally called one of the mutations. Too bad about one of the other ones though. Wish they hadn't gone that direction.

Edit.

Forgot to post these two trailers.

Casey Jones: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/19/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-casey-jones-trailer

Season 1 finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKwxLrpqrqc

Edited by Balding Spider

MOTHATRUCKIN' SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!

biggrin.png Also, he's confirmed to be voiced by Corey Feldman, AKA, Donatello in the first and third live action films.

MOTHATRUCKIN' SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!

biggrin.png

Totally called it being Spike, though the new direction with the character was a surprise.

Yep. Seems like they're going straight to him being an ally like he was at the end of the Adventures comics without having him start out as a misjudged psycho. Looking forward to seeing how his mutation impacts Raph's (And the Turtles at large) life.

Also, it's nice to finally have an animated Slash that isn't a derpface with a random metal faceplate. :P