Awoo.

TMNT Goes Nickelodeon

Senator NinjaShark

I enjoyed the Casey and Ralph episode it was a homage to the first movie and now the gang is all here nice

• 2 months later...

Huh, totally didn't expect Bebop and Rocksteady to turn up in this incarnation, primarily because I thought Bradford and Xever filled their roles essentially. Ha, I guess there's always a chance Slash could change his name to Tokka and team up with Bradford/Rahzar in the future then.

They're designs look alright. Not really sure about Bebop; he seems a little too skinny compared to other incarnations, but, eh, should interesting to see them in this universe too. I was quite surprised I liked how they were handled in IDW TMNT so far, even though they're essentially just dumb muscle at this point.

Also, thanks for reminding me the Nick series premiered in Japan, CC14. I wasn't sure it aired over there yet, but I had to see if the JP theme had been released. And, yup, it is! It's surprisingly catchy and appropriate. Hopefully the show does well over there. How have the Turtles fared there in the past?

Ok, only TMNT thing I have watched is the 90's movie, but could use a new cartoon to watch, so I'm considering a TMNT one, which one or what order would be good?

Ok, only TMNT thing I have watched is the 90's movie, but could use a new cartoon to watch, so I'm considering a TMNT one, which one or what order would be good?

I'd say just start with the current cartoon, since it's airing currently and you can catch some of it On-Demand, or even grab the DVDs cheap. Also, it's quite good and surprisingly well written. It's not without its issues, but it's consistently fun.

If you want something closer, tonally, to the original movie (which is very heavily inspired by the original Mirage comics), then the 2003 4Kids series might be something to look into. I watched the first five seasons on YouTube recently, if only because Viacom is just sitting on the 4Kids series currently (should've gotten the DVDs back in the day when I had the chance...). It's pretty great, since it's much more closely linked to the Mirage comics (but it's still very different), though it has an issue with some episode padding and some occasionally dull episodes featuring characters that were very bit players in the Mirage-verse (the Justice Force come to mind).

Preview of this Sunday's episode. The retromutagen's finished! Kirby and Splinter can be human again! Flies and nerdy scientists might be involved! Greg Cipes' head makes a special guest appearance!

How have the Turtles fared there in the past?

From what I've heard, the '87 show was really popular over there (Even spawning a wonderfully ridiculous two-part OVA starring TURTLE SAINT), but the 2003 series was much less so, believed to be mostly caused by the fact that it was very different from the previous show. Since the new series is a bit of a mix between the two in terms of how it handles things, it should be quite interesting to see how it fares. (Hopefully well, as I needz me a Revoltech Slash figure. tongue.png)

Can't wait for Sunday's episode, it looks great! I wonder if Splinter will decide to de-mutate, or at least want to. Also excited to see more of Kirby...I wonder how he'll be doing after being a giant, disgusting bat for all this time. My only concern is the whole thing with April...surely he won't want her hanging around the turtles after all this?

Preview of this Sunday's episode. The retromutagen's finished! Kirby and Splinter can be human again! Flies and nerdy scientists might be involved! Greg Cipes' head makes a special guest appearance!

This looks like it's gonna be a good one! Hopefully the retromutagen works out and, at the very least, Kirby and Pulverizer get restored (and then Pulverizer can get booted out of the lair, because I do not want to see his dumb ass again). I wouldn't be too surprised if Splinter decides to remain in his mutated form, since he no longer has any worldly attachments as a human. Should be interesting.

Hey, everyone. I have a question regarding getting into TMNT. I love the characters and I've seen a few episodes of the 4Kids show and the Nickelodeon show, but I really want to do more with the series. I know it started off as comic books and was wondering if maybe that's the way to go?

The thing is, I don't know if I should start from the very beginning with the Mirage comics or if I should go into the newer IDW published ones instead, which apparently explore the Mirage storylines and go further beyond. As for shows and movies as well, any recommendations?

EDIT: Doing some reading up on it as well on Reddit and such, it seems like many people are saying to go with the IDW one, considering it's ongoing, modern, and easier to get into.

Hey, everyone. I have a question regarding getting into TMNT. I love the characters and I've seen a few episodes of the 4Kids show and the Nickelodeon show, but I really want to do more with the series. I know it started off as comic books and was wondering if maybe that's the way to go?

The thing is, I don't know if I should start from the very beginning with the Mirage comics or if I should go into the newer IDW published ones instead, which apparently explore the Mirage storylines and go further beyond. As for shows and movies as well, any recommendations?

EDIT: Doing some reading up on it as well on Reddit and such, it seems like many people are saying to go with the IDW one, considering it's ongoing, modern, and easier to get into.

Here are your options.

Mirage Comics

Original cartoon (1987)

Original movie trilogy

The Next Mutation (wouldn't recommend it)

4Kids cartoon (2003)

Turtle Forever (TV movie and finale to the 4Kids series)

TMNT (2007 film)

IDW Comincs

Nickelodeon Cartoon (2012, HIGHLY recommend it)

And the reboot film is coming in August.

Here are your options.

Mirage Comics

Original cartoon (1987)

Original movie trilogy

The Next Mutation (wouldn't recommend it)

4Kids cartoon (2003)

Turtle Forever (TV movie and finale to the 4Kids series)

TMNT (2007 film)

IDW Comincs

Nickelodeon Cartoon (2012, HIGHLY recommend it)

And the reboot film is coming in August.

Okay, that helps organize it for me a little better. So far what I'm thinking is to go from the 4Kids cartoon and on from there, just for the sake of it being more modern, honestly. The 4Kids cartoon seems a little lengthy with over 150 episodes, but I think I should be able to watch it anyways.

Oh hey, I didn't know we had a thread for this! Huh. Well, I recently got into TMNT thanks to the brilliant Nickelodeon version. I'm slowly catching up, currently at episode 6 of Season 2. I hadn't seen any of the previous series or read any of the comics, because, well... it seemed lame to me to be honest. And I always got confused with the turtles since they all looked the same. Yeah, pretty stupid reasons but those were a long time ago. 

I gotta say, I'm loving the new Nickelodeon series. I like the plot, the animation (great blend of 3D and 2D) and the characters. Michelangelo is my favourite of the bunch. I know there was a bit of a stir in the air about making April a teenager, but I don't see any problems with it. And now that I'm on the topic, how different is the Nickelodeon series from the original 80s one? That seems to be the most popular and a lot of people that I know that enjoyed the 80s series stay away from the Nickelodeon one, no matter how much I tell them it's good. They have the idea of "ruined forever" because of the CGI or some dumb crap like that.

I'll definitely be following the Nickelodeon series 'till the end. I don't think I'll be reading any of the comics as I heard they have a more darker tone to them. I personally like the tone of the Nickelodeon series, but hey, maybe my interest in the comics will spark sometime. 

Oh hey, I didn't know we had a thread for this! Huh. Well, I recently got into TMNT thanks to the brilliant Nickelodeon version. I'm slowly catching up, currently at episode 6 of Season 2. I hadn't seen any of the previous series or read any of the comics, because, well... it seemed lame to me to be honest. And I always got confused with the turtles since they all looked the same. Yeah, pretty stupid reasons but those were a long time ago. 

I gotta say, I'm loving the new Nickelodeon series. I like the plot, the animation (great blend of 3D and 2D) and the characters. Michelangelo is my favourite of the bunch. I know there was a bit of a stir in the air about making April a teenager, but I don't see any problems with it. And now that I'm on the topic, how different is the Nickelodeon series from the original 80s one? That seems to be the most popular and a lot of people that I know that enjoyed the 80s series stay away from the Nickelodeon one, no matter how much I tell them it's good. They have the idea of "ruined forever" because of the CGI or some dumb crap like that.

I'll definitely be following the Nickelodeon series 'till the end. I don't think I'll be reading any of the comics as I heard they have a more darker tone to them. I personally like the tone of the Nickelodeon series, but hey, maybe my interest in the comics will spark sometime. 

I'm working on the nick show myself, I'm on episode 18 of the first season, and the only other thing I've seen TMNT turtles wise was the original live movie. And I have enjoyed it overall myself

Okay, that helps organize it for me a little better. So far what I'm thinking is to go from the 4Kids cartoon and on from there, just for the sake of it being more modern, honestly. The 4Kids cartoon seems a little lengthy with over 150 episodes, but I think I should be able to watch it anyways.

Excellent choice. You're in for some fantastic stories. (Some of my favorites are Same as it Never Was and DNA is Thicker Than Water.)

Welcome to the franchise! As for your question about the '87 toon, it was a lot sillier with its plots and leaned towards a more episodic structure, making way for stories about hillbillies stealing the Turtle Van and such. The fight scenes beyond the original 5-part mini series were also decidedly toned down with the Turtles being unable to use their weapons in most cases (Opting most of the time to use objects in the environment to capture the bad guys) and Michelangelo's weapon was even changed to a grappling hook for most of the show. The show is to be commended for introducing iconic characters and elements like Krang, Dimension X, and the idea of the Turtles fighting tons of other mutants and for largely ingraining the franchise into pop culture in the first place, but it doesn't really hold up that well as an actual show. If you're interested in checking out a more well written take on the original cartoon universe, I'd recommend the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures comics, as they actually take some of the interesting concepts established by the old cartoon and develop them a lot more. (Also the Adventures Slash kicks the crap out of the original cartoon Slash.)

Excellent choice. You're in for some fantastic stories. (Some of my favorites are Same as it Never Was and DNA is Thicker Than Water.)

Many thanks! I'll definitely be looking forward to those, then.

If you're interested in checking out a more well written take on the original cartoon universe, I'd recommend the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures comics, as they actually take some of the interesting concepts established by the old cartoon and develop them a lot more. (Also the Adventures Slash kicks the crap out of the original cartoon Slash.)

I'm wondering, should I read these as well considering I'm new to the series or do the IDW comics cover the topics of previous Turtle stories and elements well enough?

I'm wondering, should I read these as well considering I'm new to the series or do the IDW comics cover the topics of previous Turtle stories and elements well enough?

Absolutely! The IDW comics mix in a little something from nearly every different Turtles incarnation so they're a great place to start, but there's also a lot of stuff from each of the individual takes that still remain unique (Particularly the Mighty Mutanimals in Adventures), so they're also worth individually checking out.

Absolutely! The IDW comics mix in a little something from nearly every different Turtles incarnation so they're a great place to start, but there's also a lot of stuff from each of the individual takes that still remain unique (Particularly the Mighty Mutanimals in Adventures), so they're also worth individually checking out.

Okay then, that sounds good to me! I'll see what I can do. Thanks again!

Coming soon...

21mavrl.jpg

Should be quite interesting to see how they're implemented. Also, the series has premiered in Japan and they've already started making with the kawaii.

Ok, I just realized how they are going to be implemented somewhat, just got to the most recent episode, and while Stockman is begging for his life from Shreder, he mentions "Big Plans for Rhinos and Boars",   So if I had to guess He's going to be making them as his sidekicks, so that ought to be really interesting

Preview for next Sunday's episode, featuring the return of the Newtralizer (Now voiced by Danny Trejo) and my main man SLAAAAAAAAAAAASH!

Always up for more Slash action and very interested in learning what Newtie's deal is other than just hating the Kraang. Also, Raph and Casey bonding is always fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, I've caught up. Well, technically I still have to watch Pizza Face to be completely caught up, but still. Hm, now my thoughts haven't changed on the show since when I first watched it. I think I noticed in Season 2 the animation became a bit more fluid, which is nice.

As far as plot goes I wasn't and still am not keen on Casey being part of the main cast. I dunno, I just don't like him. Eh, other than that I really like the writing in Season 2. Ever since the episode of "Of Rats and Men" pretty much all the jokes have made me laugh out loud and the action has been pretty nice too. It's almost like a completely different set of writers took over. Now, earlier episodes were still good but I think the latest ones are some of the best. Although I must say, the Lord of the Rings references in "Mazes and Mutants" felt a tad forced. 

Aside from that, the show has been one of my most recent favourites. I'm actually surprised it's airing on Nickelodeon of all networks. But whatever, if it's getting them viewers, good for them I guess. 

Now one thing I don't get is how in American television a lot of series, including this get really long gaps between episodes. I'm not sure if this is just me being used to watching anime where new episodes are released strictly each week, but it feels weird taking a break mid-season. It's stuff like this that make me detach from series. It happened with Adventure Time and recently with Wander Over Yonder. I just find it hard to keep up if there isn't a regular schedule for these things. But whatever this doesn't have to do with the show itself. 

Overall like I said this series is really great in my opinion. I forgot to mention some of my favourite jokes this season. My top picks would have to be Splinter referencing the fact that the turtles are named after famous artists from the renaissance and the cheese phone gag. I'm glad this show was renewed early for a season 3. I'd really like to see this series continue as they have a great story to tell and I love the backstory Splinter has. It makes for very interesting storytelling. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hunh, guess that explains the redesign, can't wait to see it in action, and the backstory, wonder if he'll be like tiger claw