Awoo.

TMNT Goes Nickelodeon

Senator NinjaShark

A preview for this upcoming Sunday's ep, Legend of the Kuro Kabuto, featuring a slick, stealthy new thief character...

...with a

very familiar purple Mohawk.

Wow, could it be?

Bebop... competent? I know IDW went straight for the dumb-muscle approach (which, from the Micro-Series and the bit of banter from the City Fall finale, was still fun), so it's cool to see what's looking to be a really different take on him. Given Bradford/Rahzar, Xever/Fishface, and Tiger Claw are under Shredder's command, I wonder if this incarnation will be part of the Foot or if he'll be a separate enemy? It'd be kinda cool seeing this new Bebop and the upcoming Rocksteady be new enemies and with their own agendas instead of being Shredder's attack dogs, which he has plenty of already.

Also, having watched last week's episode I have to ask...

Did Tiger Claw kill the Fred Wolf-verse Turtles?!

Wow, could it be?

Bebop... competent? I know IDW went straight for the dumb-muscle approach (which, from the Micro-Series and the bit of banter from the City Fall finale, was still fun), so it's cool to see what's looking to be a really different take on him.

Also, having watched last week's episode I have to ask...

Did Tiger Claw kill the Fred Wolf-verse Turtles?!

I don't think so, I remember reading a future synopsis for a crossover with the wolf-verse turtles, so pretty sure they are alive, wouldn't be surprised if he killed perhaps another timeline's turtles

also, I kinda saw a competent but goofy Bebop coming, way I see it, Bebop and Rocksteady are the embodiment of the rebellious people of their time, so in the 80's they were punks, but in this timeline Bebop is a street-smart theif, and Rocksteady could  easily have been a fierce mercenary

Today's episode was pretty good. I quite like the new character, Zeck, and it seems like a given we know who he'll eventually become (since those characters were leaked a while back). I think the real highlight is that he's voiced by J.B. Smoove! I think he'll be really fun to watch. Little surprised to see Leo's been recast. I thought he sounded a little different today, but wasn't aware of Biggs leaving the role, unless Catrambone is just filling in for a little while? He sounds fine in any case, and seems to play off the other actors well enough, so I don't have any complaints regardless of if Biggs returns or not.

Really interested in seeing how things pick up from here. Since the Turtles failed to retrieve Karai (though that isn't surprising given they were dealing with Shredder, after all), and she's working on her own escape anyhow, I full expect her to join up with the Turtles. I wonder if she'll have some sort of identity crisis since, as Raph is quick to point out, Shredder raised her. Even if she knows he lied to her at this point (and he's still twisting around and attempting to justify what he did), it makes me wonder what's in store for her.

Also, I've been thinking this since the end of season 1, but I'm not sure I like this version of Shredder that much.

On one hand, he's a fucking monster when he's in battle, and I love watching him fight every time he's on screen, because the Turtles just can't get one up on him. His fight with Splinter last season was especially glorious because they were going all out. On the other hand, he's incredibly petty and spiteful; not that he isn't in other continuities, but here it's especially obvious. I think that's the one thing that happens from removing Oroku Nagi from his backstory, as opposed to blaming Hamato Yoshi for killing his brother and the Foot manipulating Saki, most of Shredder's actions are especially dickish.

Ok, so just watched the episode, and it setup some good things to come, but one thing is highly evident even if we hadn't had the leak earlier

The Russian General and Zeck are obviously Rocksteady and Bebop, but its really nice to see them as a relatively competent, and somewhat intelligent third party, which is a nice break from the normal

now the question is how are they going to get transformed into their iconic selves? I got a couple thoughts myself, one is punishment for Zeck from the Russian, either from his own research or Stockman's, and as we have seen the merging of technology and organics have happened which could have interesting results

or its a payback bomb from shredder/stockman, that works too

Ok, so just watched the episode, and it setup some good things to come, but one thing is highly evident even if we hadn't had the leak earlier

The Russian General and Zeck are obviously Rocksteady and Bebop, but its really nice to see them as a relatively competent, and somewhat intelligent third party, which is a nice break from the normal

now the question is how are they going to get transformed into their iconic selves? I got a couple thoughts myself, one is punishment for Zeck from the Russian, either from his own research or Stockman's, and as we have seen the merging of technology and organics have happened which could have interesting results

or its a payback bomb from shredder/stockman, that works too

I honestly hadn't considered Steranko becoming Rocksteady, but it seems that would make sense. Them being a separate antagonistic group would actually work for me.

Knowing this show, I expect their mutations to occur in fairly ridiculous way. I expect payback from Shredder will be in order for Steranko trying to steal his helmet.

Plus, the Rocksteady art had golden shoulder pads and knuckles like Steranko does, so it's pretty much guaranteed that they're one and the same. Should be interesting to see a version of him that actually has the cunning to back up his brute force. A fight between him and Shredder would be so wicked.

Plus, the Rocksteady art had golden shoulder pads and knuckles like Steranko does, so it's pretty much guaranteed that they're one and the same. Should be interesting to see a version of him that actually has the cunning to back up his brute force. A fight between him and Shredder would be so wicked.

In hindsight, I don't know why I'm surprised at Steranko being Rocksteady; I guess, I didn't expect him to show up again OR to have it out for Shredder. I think these will be really interesting takes on Bebop and Rocksteady. They're clever and considerably more competent, so they can potentially be decent threats (though it's clear the Turtles can at least get one up on Zeck). Them not being allied with Shredder, at least the moment, makes me excited to see what happens with them.

Kinda makes me wonder if IDW is coasting a bit by following convention with their versions of Bebop and Rocksteady, making them straight up muscle, whose only real value is that they are stronger than the Turtles, but not particularly bright... but at least they're fun to read and actually offer the TMNT a good challenge.

In hindsight, I don't know why I'm surprised at Steranko being Rocksteady; I guess, I didn't expect him to show up again OR to have it out for Shredder. I think these will be really interesting takes on Bebop and Rocksteady. They're clever and considerably more competent, so they can potentially be decent threats (though it's clear the Turtles can at least get one up on Zeck). Them not being allied with Shredder, at least the moment, makes me excited to see what happens with them.

Kinda makes me wonder if IDW is coasting a bit by following convention with their versions of Bebop and Rocksteady, making them straight up muscle, whose only real value is that they are stronger than the Turtles, but not particularly bright... but at least they're fun to read and actually offer the TMNT a good challenge.

That's the trick with any character in a series with multiple continuities, you can stick to the norm that's expected so you don't anger your fans, and do what you can within that, or take risks and create a better character based off the concept, but risk the wrath of the fans if you screw the pooch 

Also this is Steranko's second appearance(showed up in an earlier episode as an unnamed weapons dealer), and any recurring antagonistic human other than Shredder and Karai gets mutated within 3-4 episodes of their appearance. and he fits the profile, but if you weren't thinking about Rocksteady it may not be immediately noticeable

That's the trick with any character in a series with multiple continuities, you can stick to the norm that's expected so you don't anger your fans, and do what you can within that, or take risks and create a better character based off the concept, but risk the wrath of the fans if you screw the pooch 

Also this is Steranko's second appearance(showed up in an earlier episode as an unnamed weapons dealer), and any recurring antagonistic human other than Shredder and Karai gets mutated within 3-4 episodes of their appearance. and he fits the profile, but if you weren't thinking about Rocksteady it may not be immediately noticeable

Pretty much; it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with long-running franchises and takes on old characters. That said, considering how much reinvention IDW does in their series as it is, it's easy to overlook what they did with Bebop and Rocksteady since they're still well-written and are genuine threats even if they're not the smartest guys around. And I expect them to get development in other ways, because IDW has, so far, not done anything as one-note from my reading. I just find it interesting that Nickelodeon's reimagining is so far out of what one would expect, and it seems like it'll work.

Steranko was named in his first appearance ("Enemy of My Enemy"), albeit in the credits. But him eventually mutating didn't occur to me the same way I didn't expect Bradford/Dogpound to become Rahzar (especially since Bebop and Rocksteady's roles are effectively filled by Bradford and Xever). Though, in any case, since the profile sounds almost nothing like Steranko (other than the blonde part), it's not particularly obvious to me. Though, in fairness, the profile is likely supposed to be misleading to avoid spoilers. Still interested in seeing what's done with them, then I can decide if I prefer IDW's or Nick's take better.

Season 4 has been officially confirmed. It'll consist of twenty episodes (Six fewer than usual) and air in Fall 2015. Not only that, but we'll be seeing a casting change as well. Did you notice that Leo's voice has been done by a stand-in rather than Jason Biggs in a couple of the recent eps? Well, there's a reason for that: He's leaving the show and Seth Green will be replacing him starting in Season 3.

Unfortunate to see Mr. Biggs go, but it should be interesting to hear Seth's take on Leo. Hopefully he'll be able to put his own fun spin on it. Fewer episodes is weird, but as long as the toys keep selling, I don't think we'll have to worry about the show being cut short or anything.

Season 4 has been officially confirmed. It'll consist of twenty episodes (Six fewer than usual) and air in Fall 2015. Not only that, but we'll be seeing a casting change as well. Did you notice that Leo's voice has been done by a stand-in rather than Jason Biggs in a couple of the recent eps? Well, there's a reason for that: He's leaving the show and Seth Green will be replacing him starting in Season 3.

Unfortunate to see Mr. Biggs go, but it should be interesting to hear Seth's take on Leo. Hopefully he'll be able to put his own fun spin on it. Fewer episodes is weird, but as long as the toys keep selling, I don't think we'll have to worry about the show being cut short or anything.

...Seth Green? Oh please, no. Why don't they just continue to use Catrambone, who has been standing in for him? Shame about Biggs in any case, because he was actually doing pretty well in the role after the first few episodes of the first season (and I was against the idea of him being cast because I dislike the idea of casting celebrities, but he did audition like everyone else as opposed to getting called in just because). While it's possible Green could do OK... well, I honestly just can't stand him, and Biggs's stand-in did a good enough job that it's not even immediately obvious. I guess I'll see how things turn out with him, but I can't say I'm thrilled Green is taking over for Leo.

In more news, thanks to the upcoming TMNT Ultimate Visual History book, we have a peek at some future events/new characters for the show. Check 'em out below, but be wary of potential spoilers:

100_5459_zps8728a5ed.jpg

First off, similar to MANY previous incarnations, the Turtles will eventually be driven out of New York. (Possibly in the Season 2 finale.) After that, they'll go on a vision quest, forge new weapons, wear unique new costumes, and each become one with an elemental force. (They won't have bending powers, though. XD) Leo is wind, Raph is fire, Donnie is mountain, and Mikey is forest. Really liking the sound of this. These new costumes will make SUCH cool figures and the whole thing reminds me a bit of a combination of the various Northampton stories and Season 5 of the 2k3 series.

TheCreep.jpg

Since the Turtles need baddies to deal with while they're all exiled, here we have the Creep! He's a cross between Swamp Thing and Jason Vorhees who's even able to jack Casey's mask.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the rest of Season 2 turns out. biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 1

It's pretty awesome they're going to be dealing with an exiled from NY scenario next season! I actually thought they were going to be heading to Dimension X in the third season (I really hope Leatherhead gets rescued--his Nick incarnation is great!), but I'm really intrigued with this vision quest idea. The Turtles needing to create new weapons and deal with their own issues and fears definitely has that classic "Northampton" vibe, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm guessing they'll be separated from Splinter (movie 1?) or something along those lines, unless Splinter sends them out on their own to train. Nieli's concepts look great; I really dig his style.

I do hope The Creep only stole Casey's mask and doesn't turn out to be Casey; we don't need more mutants running around, nor do we need any more humans going down that road...

It's funny, Ross Campbell was just writing on his Tumblr that he had a similar idea as a follow-up to "City Fall" that he tried to pitch to IDW a year ago.

this is similar to something i tried pitching to IDW a year or so ago, Leo on a vision quest in the wilderness facing his fears in the form of both hallucinations and physical obstacles (it would’ve been right after City Fall, with Leo suffering from residual Dark Leo trauma). then just yesterday i was talking about it to a friend again and fleshing out the idea and then i saw this and HMPH. >sad.png

He was even kind enough to respond to me when I asked him a little more about the idea! biggrin.png

So some things weren't quite set in stone and IDW wasn't even planning for Northampton at the time, but he had some similar ideas about getting them into the woods and other things that ended up in the final comic anyway. Neat stuff, I might cross-post this to the IDW thread later (since it's more relevant there).

Seeing as how Creep starts out naked before stealing a scarecrow's outfit, I'm gonna guess he isn't Casey. If it was, he'd probably mutate while wearing the mask and the concept art even says that it's "compliments" of Casey Jones.

Also, old LH will apparently play a major role in Season 3 according to his VA. Should be quite an eventful season with both of those proposed plots combined with the tease at Triceratons from Ciro at Powercon.

Very interesting that the guys at IDW had a similar idea for their Northampton arc. XD

Yeah, that's what I figure. I just know this show has been a little... mutant happy at points (Kirby being the worst example--please don't make April into Claire from Heroes!), so it puts me on my guard, especially when a new mutant is sporting gear from another character.  And rumors of Karai becoming a mutant make me uneasy. I have nothing against more mutants, I just wanna work with what we got a little more, I guess.

I'm probably overreacting a bit, though.

And, word? Triceratons? Hell yeah! Season 3 sounds like it's going to have a lot going on, and I'm really happy to hear Leatherhead will be making a return, and even happier knowing that the Triceratons will be showing up! I'm still waiting for their grand appearance in IDW; "Utrom Empire" has got me waiting impatiently for them to do something major.

Haha I kinda wonder how IDW's "Northampton" would've played out if they had taken Campbell up on his idea. It seems like they ended up using similar ideas he was thinking about anyway, and it worked out pretty well.

Always found it in the TMNT cartoons, that while Casey Jones is a great ally, there is always a point reached where he seems a liability and really needs an upgrade, but on the other hand he never has been despite the turtles upgrading eventualy... always thought it would be interesting to see a timeline where he does. It does make me curious if it might happen in this cartoon, but on the other hand the turtles don't even have real weaponry on their vehicles like previous cartoons

I mean I know he has always been meant as a parody of vigilantes, and he does have more gadgets in this one, however even april has taken martial arts training in this one, just curious if something out of the usual might happen for the once, whether he steals it from Steranko perhaps(like say excalibur or some other original artifact for the series, or something the russian made)

I mean we have some pretty fantastic tech in this contiunity on the earth based side, perhaps Casey could find one

I mean maybe you know more about this than I do Zaysho, you follow the stuff overall more, have they ever said anything about him not straying any further than his hockey sticks and a couple minor gadgets. I mean even some basic martial arts training from the turtles or splinter would make him more useful, or perhaps even a formal weapon

They could upgrade Casey, it's possible. From what I've seen of Casey in most continuities is that he's usually capable of keeping up with the Turtles, even though he's more of a "normal". It's not like the Turtles are "supers" anyway, they just had a ton of training. He can still fight and hold his own, but I don't think he's ever been given any notable upgrades. None I can think of at the moment anyway (I'm sure someone can correct me, though).

Though, considering IDW Casey seems to get his ass beat a lot before getting saved, he might be looking at some new gear, or at least some training, in the future.

As for today's episode?

Fuck. You. Nickelodeon.

Mutant Karai. I didn't want to believe the rumors. I really didn't. This is actually worse than when they mutated Kirby for a completely bullshit reason. At least she can revert to human form... I guess? She's still mutated and it's possible, thanks to whatever foul up Stockman did (maybe that's why she can switch forms?) she may not become mindless like Shredder intended. And it occurs to me they made her look really weak for most of the episode. It could be justified that she's been in a dungeon or whatever, but I'd have expected her to land a decent kick on Tiger Claw, like once.

I dunno. I really liked this version of Karai and it really pisses me off that this is what they decided to do with her. I hope they make this more worthwhile than with what they did with Kirby, but I can't say I'm happy with this development.

And Shredder blamed Splinter for what he caused to happen. Are you fucking kidding me? I didn't think I could dislike this version of Shredder more, but it's shit like this that makes him far less likable than any other incarnation. Shredder locked her up. Shredder used her as bait. Shredder cut the fucking chain and dropped her into the ooze. I love watching the guy fight, I think Kevin Michael Richardson does a fantastic job voicing him, but I don't think any version of the Shredder before has been this big of an asshole.

I did like seeing more of Yoshi's and Saki's past together, I thought it was pretty interesting, and I really like seeing those flashback sequences.

They could upgrade Casey, it's possible. From what I've seen of Casey in most continuities is that he's usually capable of keeping up with the Turtles, even though he's more of a "normal". It's not like the Turtles are "supers" anyway, they just had a ton of training. He can still fight and hold his own, but I don't think he's ever been given any notable upgrades. None I can think of at the moment anyway (I'm sure someone can correct me, though).

Though, considering IDW Casey seems to get his ass beat a lot before getting saved, he might be looking at some new gear, or at least some training, in the future.

As for today's episode?

Fuck. You. Nickelodeon.

Mutant Karai. I didn't want to believe the rumors. I really didn't. This is actually worse than when they mutated Kirby for a completely bullshit reason. At least she can revert to human form... I guess? She's still mutated and it's possible, thanks to whatever foul up Stockman did (maybe that's why she can switch forms?) she may not become mindless like Shredder intended. And it occurs to me they made her look really weak for most of the episode. It could be justified that she's been in a dungeon or whatever, but I'd have expected her to land a decent kick on Tiger Claw, like once.

I dunno. I really liked this version of Karai and it really pisses me off that this is what they decided to do with her. I hope they make this more worthwhile than with what they did with Kirby, but I can't say I'm happy with this development.

And Shredder blamed Splinter for what he caused to happen. Are you fucking kidding me? I didn't think I could dislike this version of Shredder more, but it's shit like this that makes him far less likable than any other incarnation. Shredder locked her up. Shredder used her as bait. Shredder cut the fucking chain and dropped her into the ooze. I love watching the guy fight, I think Kevin Michael Richardson does a fantastic job voicing him, but I don't think any version of the Shredder before has been this big of an asshole.

I did like seeing more of Yoshi's and Saki's past together, I thought it was pretty interesting, and I really like seeing those flashback sequences.

in regards to Casey

well they did upgrade Angel and made her nobody, now admittedly Casey is a more iconic character, but on the other hand any other superheroes from past iterations that hasn't shown up yet? JK, but while IDW likes to keep a classic core from what I have heard from you, but are willing to take liberties and combine characters in some cases

Perhaps we will get an arc where Casey realizes he's a liability, and decides to try and fix that, that could be interesting, though knowing how things tend to go everything he tries fails, but then he'll come upon an unexpected but natural solution in the end. Biggest trick with him is that his core appearance and overall character has remained relatively unchanged, it can develop, but he's still the shaggy haired guy with a hockey mask, but there are ways to work with that as well

now in regards to the show

Yah they are extremely mutant happy, more than the original cartoon(it was pretty low key in the 4kids one), and there are a lot better solutions than just throwing mutagen on it, on the other hand though this is the first time we've had an engineered mutagen used accidentally. Intentional mutations result in the subject being non-sentient most the time, while accident ones are mostly sentient. This one looks to be starting low, but working up. Fact is we might actualy get something good out of this similar to LeatherHead's arc(who I hope returns as well). A good Hearted ally who currently has their primitive emotions controlling them, fact is we could end up with a more involved version of splinter's self acceptance arc, but with the challenge of taming her as well

Also Karai has been locked up for a month, standard prisoner protocol for ruthless villains is give them the bare minimum of food to survive, nothing more so ya she is weak. Also Shredder has a victimizing complex, and some natural jealously and mental issues, probably increased by whatever screwed up his face

Fact is I may not be a fan of it, but I am curious to see where it goes. I do wish we got more plots involving other alien species, Giant Robots, and superheroes though tongue.png or even the 50ft Erma incident

oh and count me as hyped for Triceratons possibly showing up as well

• 8 months later...

Okay, we lost a couple pages in the server scuffle, so let's start filling 'em back out! And luckily, there's a particularly interesting bit of news I wanted to post just as the forum took a dive...*points to avatar*

15qb13n.jpg

THE MUTANIMALS ARE BACK.

Yep, the famous team of Archie fame composed of TMNT side characters will make their television debut this coming Sunday in the 2-part special, "Battle for New York." However, if you can't wait that long, it's up now for free watch on Nick.com!

Already watched it myself and loved every minute of it. Hope the Mutanimals will be semi-regular support from now on, because I've ALWAYS wanted to see them animated.

• Thumbs Up 3

Saw the new episode myself. Really enjoyed it but I'm really pissed off with how the creators practically rushed the climax of the invasion. We had four episodes where the Turtles are in the Krang infested New York (Return to New York, Serpent Hunt, The Rhino and The Pig, and Battle for New York). Even in two of those episodes, the Krang weren't even that much of a focus, really just being what sets up the conflict in one episode and appearing in a one fight or a background appearance. For something as built up, I was hoping for at least another episode or two before things went back to normal. 

Rhino and the Pig was awesome, Bebop and Rocksteady in action were sweet, and 2 more episodes to watch, nice I'll do it tonight

Loved "Battle for New York." Felt rushed in some places, but I can't complain when it means the humans have been restored and the Kraang are gone for a little bit. I don't expect that to be permanent, but an extended break is much needed. Maybe in the time between they can give Kirby his spine back and stop pulling stupid shit with him.

And the Mutanimals are fucking awesome. I'm kinda seeing Nick!Slash being more like Old Hob in the IDW series (though far less backstabby) while Leatherhead fills a role similar to IDW!Slash (without the intelligence boost). Rockwell was a real surprise to see return, and I think his upgraded characterization plays off of Donnie's quite well. Be interesting if their ranks grow with other mutants; we know Mondo Gecko is coming, and he'll most likely be part of the team. I'm really pleased with how they've turned out, and hope we'll see them a little more frequently.

In any case, I'm ready for Hun!

Loved "Battle for New York." Felt rushed in some places, but I can't complain when it means the humans have been restored and the Kraang are gone for a little bit. I don't expect that to be permanent, but an extended break is much needed. Maybe in the time between they can give Kirby his spine back and stop pulling stupid shit with him.

And the Mutanimals are fucking awesome. I'm kinda seeing Nick!Slash being more like Old Hob in the IDW series (though far less backstabby) while Leatherhead fills a role similar to IDW!Slash (without the intelligence boost). Rockwell was a real surprise to see return, and I think his upgraded characterization plays off of Donnie's quite well. Be interesting if their ranks grow with other mutants; we know Mondo Gecko is coming, and he'll most likely be part of the team. I'm really pleased with how they've turned out, and hope we'll see them a little more frequently.

In any case, I'm ready for Hun!

By this point, I'm surprised Kirby isn't insane. I mean he was kidnapped by a bunch of brain aliens, brainwashed and forced to put his little girl into danger, turned into a mutant bat, and then turned into a Krang. The guy just can't catch a break