Awoo.

What plot lines in the Sonic games could have been developed further?

Rabbitearsblog

So, in recent Sonic games, there has been some plot lines that the games established, but they never really went all the way with the plot line.  What I mean by this is that whenever the Sonic games put the characters in a dangerous or traumatizing situation,  either they find a way to make the character get out of the situation unharmed or there's no emotional weight to the scenes.  Here are some games that I think that they could have gone a bit further with the plot line:

Sonic Lost World:  There's the scene where Tails was turned into a robot and instead of having a boss battle with Tails, instead Tails just overrides the commands and turns back to normal.  I think that if they had a boss fight where Sonic is forced to fight Tails in his robot form, that not only would have made an interesting boss fight, but it would have been an emotional impact on the story since it would involve Sonic being forced to fight his best friend.

Sonic Forces:  There's the scene where Sonic was captured by Eggman and was "presumably" tortured.  But, when we see Sonic, he acts like nothing has happened, despite being captured.  I think that they should have shown us how being captured by Eggman had an effect on Sonic, as well as maybe show us that Sonic had blamed himself for Eggman taking over the world and how he couldn't protect the world from Eggman.  That would have added more emotional weight to the story and made us take the story more seriously.

What are some other examples you can think of?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

A few characters in the IDW follow-up to Forces did say something about whether it was right to actually destroy Eggman. What if someone actually tried to make an attempt in Forces?

I suspect Shadow would've been the natural choice to do it. This could've led to a Civil War scenario where some are in favour of taking Eggman down by killing him, and another team who want a better outcome (imprisonment).

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

A few characters in the IDW follow-up to Forces did say something about whether it was right to actually destroy Eggman. What if someone actually tried to make an attempt in Forces?

I suspect Shadow would've been the natural choice to do it. This could've led to a Civil War scenario where some are in favour of taking Eggman down by killing him, and another team who want a better outcome (imprisonment).

Oh man!  I would have loved for Forces to explore that concept!  That would have made the storytelling much more serious and we could've have the Sonic characters be in a situation that they normally wouldn't be in.

Sonic Chronicles, but that is more because it ended on a cliffhanger and didn't get the sequel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, AuroraRedwinters said:

Sonic Chronicles, but that is more because it ended on a cliffhanger and didn't get the sequel. 

Oh yeah!  I forgot that that game was cancelled (because of you know who)...

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe that period in Colors where Yacker goes missing? Tails apparently didn't notice him leave and only got worried when he didn't see him in a while, plus this is brought up when Sonic finds the processing plant in Asteroid coaster. You would think that with Yacker being with them throughout the game that his whereabouts, predicament, and subsequent rescue would be dealt with, but he just turns up back in Tropical Resort celebrating with the other Wisps with practically no fanfare.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Mania/Forces: I care less about the Phantom Ruby's abilities, and more on how Eggman found it. What does it connect to? Does it have anything to do with Dr. Starline's Warped Topaz from the IDW Comics? Can this be connected to the Echidnas? Is there anything else having to do with all of these special gemstones? This is some major lore they can elaborate on. 

Unleashed: I think the Gaia temples were a good idea but were something that could've been extrapolated on. This also goes back to the role of the Chaos Emeralds and how much they've hopped around in the Sonic universe. Of course we know the out-of-universe reasons, but I wonder if there are any in-universe.

Classics: At the beginning of the quarantine I made a lot of maps of the Classic games to kind of place everything. I don't think I saved any of those but I'd like to see Sega do something similar.

And I basically agree with all the rest that people have mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh man!  I would have loved for Forces to explore that concept!  That would have made the storytelling much more serious and we could've have the Sonic characters be in a situation that they normally wouldn't be in.

Team Destroy: Shadow, Omega (pretty much his reason for existing has been vengeance), Espio (he pretty much said it during the Metal Virus saga). Can't think of any others right now, but a shock defection could add more fuel to the fire.

3 hours ago, Mr. Ion said:

Sonic Mania/Forces: I care less about the Phantom Ruby's abilities, and more on how Eggman found it. What does it connect to? Does it have anything to do with Dr. Starline's Warped Topaz from the IDW Comics? Can this be connected to the Echidnas? Is there anything else having to do with all of these special gemstones? This is some major lore they can elaborate on. 

Unleashed: I think the Gaia temples were a good idea but were something that could've been extrapolated on. This also goes back to the role of the Chaos Emeralds and how much they've hopped around in the Sonic universe. Of course we know the out-of-universe reasons, but I wonder if there are any in-universe.

Classics: At the beginning of the quarantine I made a lot of maps of the Classic games to kind of place everything. I don't think I saved any of those but I'd like to see Sega do something similar.

I do wonder how the Phantom Ruby came into existence in the first place.  I wish the game actually explained about the Phantom Ruby's existence and how they came into both Eggman and Infinite's possessions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2021 at 7:26 PM, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Idk, a full on war seems like a bad time for that debate

19 hours ago, Mr. Ion said:

15 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder how the Phantom Ruby came into existence in the first place.  I wish the game actually explained about the Phantom Ruby's existence and how they came into both Eggman and Infinite's possessions. 

It's the one from Mania

We never got any sense of what the Death Egg actually does in the original games. Does it blow things up with lasers like the Death Star? Is it designed as a giant planet roboticizer like the Archie version? All we really know about is it's a warship with a big mustache. How it would go about waging that war is unclear!

So, it would've been interesting to see the Death Egg's capabilities somehow. 

Additionally, seeing a cut-scene of the Death Egg actually crashing onto Angel Island and pushing it down into the ocean in Sonic 3 would've been cool and went a long way toward telling the full story in-game.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2:
I wish they addressed if Sonic and the other furry characters are from a different world of if Sonic's planet had always been Earth. I would much prefer the second case, and I wish they put furries living among the humans in the hub worlds, cities and cutscenes like that one that Eggman broke the moon because it only shows humans all over the planet. 

Shadow the Hedgehog:

I like the story when you consider the canon part of the game (the first cutscene and the true ending), however all the other cutscenes between stages doesn't matter, are poorly written and Shadow feels like an edgy lord with personality disorder. I wish the game had a more linear narrative with more cohesive characterization and sequence of events. They could leave the different missions to another mode, like the "free mode" from the Lego series.
I wish Shadow the Hedgehog addressed why the moon isn't broken anymore. Because it had been broken in Sonic Adventure 2, but it's normal in the opening CGI of the game. They could say Eggman was sentenced to fix the moon using artificial material or something like that. Or they could only leave the moon broken in the CGI cutscene and in Sonic Heroes because it would be better to see lasting consequences of the stories in the universe of the games.

Sonic 2006:

Elise and Sonic shouldn't be lovers. She could've been just a friend sidekick human character, like Chris for Sonic X. They needed to fix the time travels inconsistencies and plot holes, and they needed to address why Blaze is from the future in this game if she was from another dimension in the Rush series. 

Sonic Unleashed:

I wish Sonic Unleashed had furries living among humans in the countries all over the world, so it wouldn't feel like the planet is only inhabited by humans. I wish Unleashed had more consistent world-building with other games having mentions to Angel Island and places like Soleana in the story or world map, even if Sonic doesn't go to these places in the story of the game.

Sonic Colors:

I wish the Wii version of Sonic Colors had the Mother wisp final boss from the DS version and the other characters vising Eggman Amusement Park the same way as the DS version as well. In the Wii version, the park feels empty with only Sonic and Tails.

Sonic Generations:

I wish they addressed why Sonic 2006 is in the game if its story never happened. They could explain that's some kind of temporal distortion that took Sonic to a lost timeline. I wish they had stages based on the storybooks games as well.

Sonic Lost World:

What is the Lost Hex? What are the zeti? What is that strange musical instrument that Eggman uses to control the deadly six and why it has this power?

Sonic Forces:

I wish classic Sonic weren't in the game. I wish Infinite had better motivations and a better ending. I wish there were humans in the world alongside the furries and I wish there were mentions to GUN. I also wish there were a more engaging story arc about the villains (Shadow, Chaos, Meta Sonic) and a boss battle with all of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Raphael Martins said:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2:
I wish they addressed if Sonic and the other furry characters are from a different world of if Sonic's planet had always been Earth. I would much prefer the second case, and I wish they put furries living among the humans in the hub worlds, cities and cutscenes like that one that Eggman broke the moon because it only shows humans all over the planet. 

Shadow the Hedgehog:

I like the story when you consider the canon part of the game (the first cutscene and the true ending), however all the other cutscenes between stages doesn't matter, are poorly written and Shadow feels like an edgy lord with personality disorder. I wish the game had a more linear narrative with more cohesive characterization and sequence of events. They could leave the different missions to another mode, like the "free mode" from the Lego series.
I wish Shadow the Hedgehog addressed why the moon isn't broken anymore. Because it had been broken in Sonic Adventure 2, but it's normal in the opening CGI of the game. They could say Eggman was sentenced to fix the moon using artificial material or something like that. Or they could only leave the moon broken in the CGI cutscene and in Sonic Heroes because it would be better to see lasting consequences of the stories in the universe of the games.

Sonic 2006:

Elise and Sonic shouldn't be lovers. She could've been just a friend sidekick human character, like Chris for Sonic X. They needed to fix the time travels inconsistencies and plot holes, and they needed to address why Blaze is from the future in this game if she was from another dimension in the Rush series. 

Sonic Unleashed:

I wish Sonic Unleashed had furries living among humans in the countries all over the world, so it wouldn't feel like the planet is only inhabited by humans. I wish Unleashed had more consistent world-building with other games having mentions to Angel Island and places like Soleana in the story or world map, even if Sonic doesn't go to these places in the story of the game.

Sonic Colors:

I wish the Wii version of Sonic Colors had the Mother wisp final boss from the DS version and the other characters vising Eggman Amusement Park the same way as the DS version as well. In the Wii version, the park feels empty with only Sonic and Tails.

Sonic Generations:

I wish they addressed why Sonic 2006 is in the game if its story never happened. They could explain that's some kind of temporal distortion that took Sonic to a lost timeline. I wish they had stages based on the storybooks games as well.

Sonic Lost World:

What is the Lost Hex? What are the zeti? What is that strange musical instrument that Eggman uses to control the deadly six and why it has this power?

Sonic Forces:

I wish classic Sonic weren't in the game. I wish Infinite had better motivations and a better ending. I wish there were humans in the world alongside the furries and I wish there were mentions to GUN. I also wish there were a more engaging story arc about the villains (Shadow, Chaos, Meta Sonic) and a boss battle with all of them.

You really want humans in the world, do you? LOL!

Anyway, I also never understood why they decided to separate the human characters from the main characters.  I personally loved the fact that we had human characters in the Sonic Adventure games since they added something unique to Sonic's world.  Also, it's a shame that the recent games don't really explain about the trinkets they have, like what is the Phantom Ruby and why didn't they explain about the Lost Hex or the Deadly Six themselves?

34 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

You really want humans in the world, do you? LOL!

Anyway, I also never understood why they decided to separate the human characters from the main characters.  I personally loved the fact that we had human characters in the Sonic Adventure games since they added something unique to Sonic's world.  Also, it's a shame that the recent games don't really explain about the trinkets they have, like what is the Phantom Ruby and why didn't they explain about the Lost Hex or the Deadly Six themselves?

I only want a consistent world-building. According to Takashi Iizuka, humans and anthropomorphic animals belong to Sonic's universe, but games that have humans don't have furries appearing in the cities, hub worlds or cutscenes (the Adventure series, Shadow TH, Sonic Unleashed), and games that have furries don't have humans appearing in the cities, hub worlds or cutscenes (Sonic Forces). This make the Sonic's universe inconsistent and weird. How are there that many humans in other games, but there aren't any humans or mentions to institutions like GUN in Forces? How are there that many furries in Forces, but none of them appeared in Sonic Unleashed when Sonic traveled throughout the whole world?

Sonic Forces is in the same timeline as the Adventures because Chaos appears in the game, and we have Shadow. Green Hill is the world map of both Sonic Forces and Sonic Adventure 2, that means both games happened in the same world. How can Sonic Forces be at the same world as Adventure 2 but without any human country or city?

This is a serious continuity issue in the games that could be fixed with these adjustments I proposed.

• 2 weeks later...

“What does Eggman plan to do with the world once he takes it over?”

This is a question Forces had a chance to answer, but absolutely didn’t bother exploring. We never get even a glimpse of what society under Eggman’s rule is like for the average person. Sonic just runs through a bunch of normal levels and Eggman’s conquest is undone before we even see what it really entailed.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

This is a question Forces had a chance to answer, but absolutely didn’t bother exploring. We never get even a glimpse of what society under Eggman’s rule is like for the average person. Sonic just runs through a bunch of normal levels and Eggman’s conquest is undone before we even see what it really entailed.

I would imagine it would be a Scientist’s Heaven, similar to the concept of the Metal Gear series’s Outer Heaven. But with an authoritarian bent that shows Eggman wouldn’t necessarily be as good a nation-builder as he thinks than he is a scientist—I think the only game that remotely explores that thought is Sonic CD.

I mean, this is Eggma we’re talking about. He’s a means to an end guy, which while they might have a since of logic (if prideful), are not exactly good means given he’s looking for the easiest way to accomplish that dream of empire.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I would imagine it would be a Scientist’s Heaven, similar to the concept of the Metal Gear series’s Outer Heaven. But with an authoritarian bent that shows Eggman wouldn’t necessarily be as good a nation-builder as he thinks than he is a scientist—I think the only game that remotely explores that thought is Sonic CD.

I mean, this is Eggma we’re talking about. He’s a means to an end guy, which while they might have a since of logic (if prideful), are not exactly good means given he’s looking for the easiest way to accomplish that dream of empire.

Yeah, I feel like Sonic CD’s bad futures implied that Eggman’s world went to ruin in a way he didn’t intend. Like things just spiraled out of control and he used up so many natural resources that even he’s unhappy.

Like, the Bad Future Badniks are all broken down and are even resprited to have sad facial expressions, so clearly this wasn’t the glorious triumph of the Eggman Empire that he’d envisioned.

3 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Yeah, I agree that Sonic Forces missed the ball on that one.  The story is so thin, that it seems like it didn't deserve that sort of premise it was setting up for itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, Dr. Mechano said:

I know what you mean.

I was really hoping we would see bad future-esque versions of past levels like City Escape, Emerald Coast, Spagonia, Mecha Green Hill Zone, etc.

I was hoping we would get to see what our failure had wrought on the world, maybe seeing all the citizens of the planet dressed up in Eggman uniforms, weird rules in the new society(maybe even a potshot at 06 in the form of Soleanna getting the worst rules), possibly GUN robots under Eggman's control with the very few uncaptured GUN Soldiers being part of the resistance(one being an expy of Topaz).

With them saying there would be more emphasis on story I assumed there would be mythology gags and continuity nods , but nope. Not even so much as somebody calling out Shadow for betraying Maria's last wish.

Come to think of it, I think it sounds like I wanted Sonic Generations: Bad Future Edition.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/23/2021 at 9:15 PM, Grunt said:

We never got any sense of what the Death Egg actually does in the original games. Does it blow things up with lasers like the Death Star? Is it designed as a giant planet roboticizer like the Archie version? All we really know about is it's a warship with a big mustache. How it would go about waging that war is unclear!

So, it would've been interesting to see the Death Egg's capabilities somehow. 

Additionally, seeing a cut-scene of the Death Egg actually crashing onto Angel Island and pushing it down into the ocean in Sonic 3 would've been cool and went a long way toward telling the full story in-game.  

The Death Egg is indeed shown reactivating a dormant volcano, so that’s one of the things it can do. Maybe also discuss how he got the inspiration? Probably some earlier mega weapon? And maybe we could show it being built during Sonic 1. Another thing would be to discuss some more about why exactly the Lost Hex is so weird. Explain things like the cacti with faces and that donut level. And as for the Tails fight in Lost World; what if Tails isn’t the only character they make into a Badnik? 

• Thumbs Up 1

In Sonic Heroes Metal Sonic states at the end of the final boss “I am the real Sonic” which I thought could be an interesting plot point if expanded upon but alas wasn’t unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 9:42 PM, Stritix said:

In Sonic Heroes Metal Sonic states at the end of the final boss “I am the real Sonic” which I thought could be an interesting plot point if expanded upon but alas wasn’t unfortunately.

I was curious about that plot line about Metal Sonic thinking he's the real Sonic.  It would have been nice if they extended that plot line a bit more in the game.

I always understood it pretty simply as Metal Sonic being programmed to be like Sonic, so he developed a "I'm not a robot replacement, I'm the original, real Sonic!" dilemma. I honestly hated that about his characterization in Heroes, so I'd rather not see them develop my least liked representation of my favorite character.

An easy answer pretty much anyone would have been willing to get behind though, is expanding the story/lore of Lost World. If they want us to care about the Deadly Six or the Lost Hex, you gotta tell us more about them and make them more complex than stale bread.

• Thumbs Up 1