Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps (Episode 2 - August 26)

TheOcelot
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux

This topic was split out from the older Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps topic as it concerns new news about the cartoon. Share your thoughts and reactions to the latest animation right here!

4 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Part 2 (the final part) arrives tomorrow:

YAAASSS!!!!  I can't wait!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Noooice. I'm really interested in what they'll do with that episode, how will be the Sonic vs Metal. I really like how Metal was handled in the EP1 (as in Sonic Mania Adventure and in the comics), as some silent menace.

5 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Part 2 (the final part) arrives tomorrow:

Wait, it's really only two episodes?

Aww, I was really enjoying this too. Guess I expected something closer to the length of Mania Adventures, in the 5-6 episode range.

Ah well, still looking forward to it!

40 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Wait, it's really only two episodes?

Aww, I was really enjoying this too. Guess I expected something closer to the length of Mania Adventures, in the 5-6 episode range.

Ah well, still looking forward to it!

I wanted more than two episodes of this series too!  Oh well, it is what it is.

Part 2:

Another good episode. The more action sequences-fight with Metal made it more interesting than the first part.

When Orbot & Cubot combined with Metal it made me think of when Power Rangers combine their zords to form the Mega-zord haha:

Spoiler

Animated GIF

Even better than part 1 with the focus on more action and cool usage of the Wisps powers. Orbot/Cubot were still funny idolizing over Metal, Sonic was enjoyable it's always good to see a mix and of talking/banter AND well paced action. Not much else to say really these shorts had a goal and pulled it off well so I'm satisfied 

• Thumbs Up 8

Aw, that was nice! Bit sad Mike couldn't join this - and that my man Tails didn't get at least one powerup - but this was a great toon nonetheless that really gets the franchise's tone back on track! Props to Heese and the gang for pulling it off once more.

• Thumbs Up 4

Baffling it's only two episodes. But I guess they can't do much with a game with an established and very straightforward plot.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, NoKaine said:

Baffling it's only two episodes. But I guess they can't do much with a game with an established and very straightforward plot.

Weirdest part is that there's plenty more they could show. Tails kicking ass with a Wisp Power-Up or two (they trust him, right?), Sonic and Metal racing through the other zones, the Sonic vs. Tails fight we never got, the good Doctor himself (seriously? WHY was Mike not contacted for this?!?!?) more of Big Boss the Cube and his Diamond Wisps, a montage/scene of the two actually enjoying the park...

These two were great, but it's beyond me as to why there ain't more on the way. Maybe the pandemic made Sega cheap out or something?

1 minute ago, KingMario05 said:

These two were great, but it's beyond me as to why there ain't more on the way. Maybe the pandemic made Sega cheap out or something?

Or just that animation is expensive and this is meant to promode Colors Ult rather than making money in itself so there's not much benefit in doing more.

Anyway it's...fine. I dunno, neither part really gripped me. There were a few good jokes and a few good shots but I'd probably call this the weakest of the animated shorts they've been doing lately.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really enjoyed it, it's the perfect term, it was nothing mindblowing, just awesome all around. But I did not expect a couple of things that happened...

Spoiler

Orbot and Cubot "transforming", which was hilarious.

Metal Sonic enhancements.

Them not rescuing every wisp, but I saw it coming that the Wisp gang was gonna save the day too.

Some jokes were quite unexpected, but yeah Orbot and Cubot "take the cake" for me.

Also nice how Tails' insecure personality traits are showed once again when he's not sure they can save every wisp by themselves.

And... I guess I missed Eggman? Not missed maybe, because the show was entertaining, but I was disappointed Mike Pollock didn't appear in the first short with dialogue.

Btw, the only part that felt forced is the friendship help message, I'm not cold hearted, I'm just sick of them doing the same moral in every piece of media.

• Thumbs Up 3

Using Sweet Mountain as the action race scene music was a good decision. I also really loved it whenever Sonic put on his serious business voice. That's the kind of range I like to see.

It's not baffling that it's only two parts. The same was true of TSR: Overdrive and both parts for this one were both longer than that. Animation is tough work. I know I couldn't do it. It takes me a while just to draw and color a still, unmoving image.

• Thumbs Up 6

While I agree this was the weakest of the animated shorts, it was still pretty enjoyable overall. Mania Adventures had a nice blend of action and comedy and plenty of other characters to intermingle and the same was true for TSRO. Since these shorts take place at the time of Colors, there's not that much you can do compared to those two. 

That said, they accomplished their goal of being a cute sneak peak to the game so and I wasn't really expecting it to be anything mind-blowing. Hopefully Tyson Heese gets to write an Animated series somewhere down the line. This is his fourth short, so he's clearly an established figure in the community, so Sega should go ahead and give him the keys to the kingdom already. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Just saw this and I really enjoyed it!  I think I like part 2 better than part 1 since we actually get to see some action and I liked how Sonic was characterized in part 2 as still being cocky, but still shows genuine concern for the people he cares about, like Tails and the wisps.  It was also great seeing Metal Sonic come back after spending so many years of not being in the games.  My only grip with this series overall is that there's only two episodes and I wished that they made more episodes.  But, I guess they did their job in promoting Sonic Colors Ultimate.

• Thumbs Up 3

Loved the "More like a hobby" exchange. Felt for all the world like Tyson and GG were trying to kill that friggin "It's like it's his/our job" argument by emphasizing that Sonic still has fun fighting Eggman. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Ehhhh, Not my jazz. Maybe if Metal did ANYTHING other than drinking some Wisps, I would enjoy it. Honestly whole thing was mostly watching Wisps powers, alone in part 1 and used by Sonic in part 2. Perfect to promote the game I guess.

Orbot's adoration for Metal is funny, characterization is decent, and some still-shoots look kinda pretty. That's about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Enjoyed this more than Part 1 for sure - all my complaints about being distracted by the occasional bit of cheap-looking animation are all gone in this one thanks to the action focus.  Was a real platter of Tyson's usual brand of personality-filled motion with some nice jokes and such along the way.

• Thumbs Up 3

I thought I genuinely hated RGS' Sonic voice but these shorts have shown me (especially the second) that I just didn't like the direction and writing. In general I LOVED part 2, it made me really happy. Great use of music especially.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, charmsb said:

I thought I genuinely hated RGS' Sonic voice but these shorts have shown me (especially the second) that I just didn't like the direction and writing. In general I LOVED part 2, it made me really happy. Great use of music especially.

Roger Craig Smith did such a fantastic job in this short!  I especially loved it when he voiced Sonic's concern about Tails!

• Thumbs Up 3

Episode 2 was definitely better episode than the first one and this is one of the times where Rogers performance was good.

• Thumbs Up 4

Episode 2 was an improvement on the first part; a C+ instead of a C-. The action was pretty good, and Sonic didn't act like a narcissist so that was a plus, but I didn't like how Tails or Orbot were written. I know Tails is supposed to be a kid who isn't quite sure of himself yet, but fucking hell he's such a negative nelly at times. Sonic saves the day for the trillionth time? "I don't know if we can save all of the Wisps!" Ugh. Orbot is supposed to be the straight man in the villainous triumvirate, giving the stupid Cubot and megalomanical Eggman someone relatively normal to bounce off of, but with Metal Sonic assuming that role in the short Orbot gets demoted to being just another bumbling imbecile. The writers really liked that "big bro" gag. How many times did they use it in total? 3 times? Maybe 4?

• Thumbs Up 1

I was surprised seeing this on YouTube the other day. I didn't expect it to come out so soon, and also was surprised that it was only two parts, I kind of thought it would be 4. None of this bothered me though, just my initial thoughts.

So, my actual thoughts on Part 2 of Rise of the Wisps? It was good. I liked it a lot. Something I liked a lot was that Sonic was portrayed as being both serious and quippy, and was also just generally interesting.
I will note though, I like seeing Metal Sonic, and I liked seeing him get to do more things, but I'm kind of tired of the whole "Sonic races metal" trope? I think we need to do something new and more interesting. Something I loved was seeing Metal power up with the Wisps. It was a really cool and creative idea and I would've liked to see it extrapolated on in the future. As much as fans like to discuss Super forms, in this instance I honestly thought it was better.
In terms of actual plot, it was pretty straightforward and just generally fine. Most of the jokes were pretty good, I lied Orbot/Cubot and the whole Big Brother dynamic with Metal (though by the end it was getting a tad bit stale, though this didn't really bother me).
I can't really think of anything else. I thought it was decent and overall a good strategy for promoting the game. They should keep doing things like this in future. Keeps the community interested, and markets to people who wouldn't usually notice new game releases like the hardcore fans do.