Awoo.

Surge the Tenrec and Kit the Fennec: IDW's 'Imposter Syndrome' Miniseries' New Characters Revealed

Dreadknux

The names of the mysterious new characters in IDW's Sonic spinoff 'Imposter Syndrome' has been revealed, thanks to the publication of an advance preview magazine showcasing the upcoming miniseries. Say hello to Surge the Tenrec and Kit the Fennec.

2021-imposter-syndrome-surgereveal2.jpeg

Surge and Kit will make their debut in the IDW special as incredibly powerful doppelgängers that will shake things up in Sonic's world, courtesy of the twisted Dr. Starline. According to the already-release solicitation for the comic, these two feisty combatants will be causing trouble not only for Sonic and Tails, but even Dr. Eggman.

2021-imposter-syndrome-surgereveal1.jpeg 2021-imposter-syndrome-surgereveal3.jpeg

Not an awful lot else is revealed about these two besides their names, but no doubt we will hear more very soon!

Information courtesy of the latest issue of Previewsworld. Thanks to 'ThatSoni' on Twitter - aka @FriendBot!

• Thumbs Up 1

That Surge the Tenrec... You see it too, don't you?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoiJyMasjv4Pgx9GvqSdE

Welp, with all the discussion going around, they 100% went and did the thing.

• Chuckle 3

Worth mentioning that this isn't our first Tenrec in the series:

latest?cb=20160525075737

Gold the Tenrec being created by Evan Stanley, and appearing within Silver's future in the Post Reboot Archie comic.

• Thumbs Up 4

Not the first Fennec either. Sonar the Fennec was a member of the Desert Raider FF group.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, with these "imposters", do we even know what they're supposed to be infiltrating or disguising themselves as?

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

So, with these "imposters", do we even know what they're supposed to be infiltrating or disguising themselves as?

Sonic and Tails, presumably.  Tenrecs are similar to hedgehogs, while fennecs are a kind of fox; Surge also has those lightning-bolt shoes, clearly implying speed, while I would imagine Kit can fly with their two extremely long ears (even if that's ordinarily more of a Cream thing).  There are other broad similarities, but they start to fall into standard Sonic design tropes if you neglect the other points.

I think it's interesting that, as "impostors", they're nonetheless far more than simple recolours.  Well, you have to do better than that, these days.

Edit: I've seen some interesting, fairly convincing speculation that this pair plus Starline are all based on famous glitch palettes from the Genesis games, e.g. "Ashura" above.

7 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Keep in mind that it’s doubtful it’ll actually be a case of imposters disguising themselves ala Mimic, it likely just comes from the fact that they’re artificially made creations designed to counter Sonic and Tails and resemble them, which has to be pretty crappy for a thinking, feeling person.

• Thumbs Up 4

The writers/concept artists are definitely not gonna pretend these 2 are anything like Sonic and Tails, because they look different enough, but maybe Surge and Kit believe they are Sonic and Tails or close enough?

I think the perfect definition of Surge would be "Take away Evil-Sonic from Scourge" (the original inspiration from Ashura), I'm definitely interested in this new female villainous speedster.

And I also think Kit has some of the fear/insecurity from Tails, neat!

Plus obviously they are based off Tails/Sonic fears, which will be an extra challenge for them, so they look pretty creative to me, I'm hooked.

But one thing I will say the designs shine a lot more in the (absolutely fantastic) cover than in those magazine sheets...

• Thumbs Up 5

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2021 at 12:34 PM, Jack-al said:

Plus obviously they are based off Tails/Sonic fears, which will be an extra challenge for them, so they look pretty creative to me, I'm hooked.

Huh. I hadn't even considered that, I just thought it was a cool combination that one seems to control water, while the other had electricity powers - that could lead to some pretty dangerous team up attacks. Totally forgot that Tails had a fear of thunder/lightning.