Awoo.

HEADS UP: Expect Major Theme Rollbacks (Default) This Weekend

Dreadknux

I know you guys must feel like things are going about a hundred miles an hour with the good ol' SSMB this past week, but it's all in aid of some urgent and very important maintenance upgrades that are long past due. After our forum reshuffle and the inclusion of a new feature, we're going to be spending some time working on some heavy upgrades and maintenance on the forum software.

For you, this might mean the following potential effects:

• Member Maintenance: We will be going through our backlog of members to determine what sort of data can be culled in order to improve site performance. Don't worry, this will not impact any active SSMB account. We will only be looking at user accounts that either have suspicious historical activity, or who have not yet logged in/are stuck in the verification process (and have no record of post/login activity). What this potentially does mean, is that if you once registered an account with us and forgot about it before verifying (or you got stuck, gave up and registered again successfully) then that user data - including assigned email addresses and other user information - will be deleted.

• Major Theme Disruption/Rollbacks: We will be making some major upgrades to the forum software over the weekend. This might mean a significant amount of downtime, but more permanently this is likely to mean a temporary rollback of the current forum design to a default InvisionCommunity theme. This probably isn't what a lot of you want to hear (I have definitely noticed the confusion over the lack of the Sonical Dark theme - that honestly was an accident and not planned), but it's an absolutely necessary step for us to take before we can take the SSMB and TSS to the next step of its evolution.

There might be more unforeseen issues that occur as well - so please bear with us as we do the necessary behind-the-scenes work to improve things for you all. :) As I've said about sixteen times already this week... 'Pardon our Dust'. :D 

• Thumbs Up 9

This is the final straw. If I can't see Sonic at the top of the website and instead have to see a default theme?! I'm leaving the website for GOOD! MARK MY WORDS!!!!!

Spoiler

for real tho, no sweat and take your time

• Chuckle 3

I wasn’t sure where to post this, but are the pop up ads intentional or are they one of the side effects? I’m on mobile and they take up a BUNCH of space on the pages 

We don't have any pop-up ads on here. If there are any pop-ups, let me know and I will try to get rid of them.

We did reinstate standard advertisements on the forums, after a year or two of downtime. Keeps the lights on. They should not be intrusive; the only places you should see them are:

• Sidebar (Desktop)
  • Above Stacked Sidebar Content, Underneath Main Content Blocks (Mobile)
  • Underneath first post of a topic
  • At the very bottom of any page

Which ones are taking up space? I'm guessing it's the 'underneath first post' ad, which is a banner on desktop and should be a small square ad on mobile, but it could be acting funky. I can try to reduce the size of this particular ad so it's not as annoying to scroll past.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 11:14 AM, Dreadknux said:

We don't have any pop-up ads on here. If there are any pop-ups, let me know and I will try to get rid of them.

We did reinstate standard advertisements on the forums, after a year or two of downtime. Keeps the lights on. They should not be intrusive; the only places you should see them are:

• Sidebar (Desktop)
  • Above Stacked Sidebar Content, Underneath Main Content Blocks (Mobile)
  • Underneath first post of a topic
  • At the very bottom of any page

Which ones are taking up space? I'm guessing it's the 'underneath first post' ad, which is a banner on desktop and should be a small square ad on mobile, but it could be acting funky. I can try to reduce the size of this particular ad so it's not as annoying to scroll past.

@DreadknuxThere seems to be pop up ads on the site again. I’m not sure if that’s the exact term for them, but they’re the ones that are a banner and rise up from the bottom of the screen. They’re really annoying and can’t be gotten rid of fully even when ‘closing’ them, and take up a ton of space on mobile/tablet. 

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/122-dr-mechano/?status=1000305&type=status

This update from @Dr. Mechanoindicates it’s a site wide issue too, I was wondering if this was an intentional addition or not?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1