Awoo.

TheOcelot
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Split this from the Megathread as it was new news.

Reviews are starting to drop for Sonic Colours Ultimate:

Currently sitting at 77 for PS4 based on 18 reviews:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sonic-colors-ultimate

Here's some of the review scores:

PS4 version:

TheGamer 90

Hobby Consolas 89

COGconnected 86

Worth Play 85

Destructoid 85

SpazioGames 80

Gaming Bolt 80

Press Start Australia 80

Vandal 80

Everyeye.it 80

Shacknews 80

VGC 80

Siliconera 80

Attack of the Fanboy 80

Comicbook.com 80

Eurogamer Italy 80

Gameblog.fr 80

IGN Italia 79

The Games Machine 78

Jeuxvideo.com 75

IGN Spain 70

Multiplayer.it 70

Hardcore Gamer 70

PlayStation Universe 70

CGMagazine 70

GameSkinny 60

Push Square 60

GAMINGbible 60

Trusted Reviews 50

Checkpoint Gaming 50

Switch version:

Nintendo Life 80

According to this IGN review the first 3 acts of each world play the remixed music and the last 3 acts plays the music from the original 2010 soundtrack. You can't choose which version you want to listen to for each act:

Edit 1: Also here's TSS review with a score of 7

Edit 2: The TSS review has been updated with the following information regarding the games music:

"One other extra that has been included in this remaster is a remixed soundtrack, with everything from level music to intro and outro themes re-done by Jun Senoue and Tomoya Ohtani. This ‘Sonic Re-Colours’ project is a little hit and miss in all honesty, and your appreciation of this new interpretation of stage themes may vary based on your opinions of the original OST. For our money, the remixes really shine with the rock music tracks (such as Asteroid Coaster and Starlight Carnival) where you can really hear the extra level Senoue-san’s guitar work brings to the atmosphere. For levels like Sweet Mountain and Aquarium Park though, which rely a lot more on Ohtani’s original synths, the remixes run quite flat and lose the punchiness they once had.

While there isn’t an obvious toggle to dynamically change between original and remixed tracks for each stage, the game does include Ohtani’s 2010 work. The first two or three Acts in a world will be remixes, while Acts 4, 5 and 6 will feature the original works. And if you just want to jam to them without playing the game, the whole lot can be listened to in a Sound Test buried within the Options Satellite".

Edit 3: (2/9)

Metacritic score is currently 76 based on 31 reviews of the PS4 version.

Switch score is 80..but that's only had one review so far.

Edit 4: (7/9)

With today being the official release of the physical version more reviews have been added to Metacritic:

The switch version's had 5 reviews and currently sits at 65 

Xbox's had 4 reviews and sits at 75

PS4's had 46 reviews and is holding steady at 76

Meanwhile the PC Epic release hasn't had any reviews so far....

Opencritic has a score of 74

• Thumbs Up 3

Currently sitting at 77. That's only one point lower than the original game which is great for a remaster. I lowballed the fuck out of it and said it would drop 10 points or something iirc but it's clear that i was wrong. Sonic Colors has retained it's value to most outlets, which means it will probably retain it's value to most players too. A far cry from how the last port of a 3D game went.

• Thumbs Up 5

Expected a drop to 71/70 so this is a nice surprise. Glad to know public reception with journalists has stayed the same as I thought it'd fall out of favor or something but nah. Mid-high 70s is a perfect place for this game to be imo 

• Thumbs Up 1

Biggest surprise is Destructoid flipping from a 4.5 to an 8.5

Which is because it's been reviewed by two different people over 10 years apart, but the impact it will have on the aggregate is worth noting. 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Biggest surprise is Destructoid flipping from a 4.5 to an 8.5

To be fair, if I recall correctly, their review back then was that BS review from Sterling.

So I'm not surprised things have changed.

Thanks for this @TheOcelot - let's see if we can get a collection of scores from different outlets, see what the general temperature of this game seems to be. It looks like most of the critics are digging Sonic Colours Ultimate which is great to see!

I wanted to share TSS' own review (we gave it a 7, explained in the article), if you wanted to add that to the OP as well.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/09/tss-review-sonic-colours-ultimate/

No way to change the soundtrack is super disappointing. The opening of Planet Wisp Act 1 is ruined by the overproduced garbage they replaced it with.

Glad to see the game still reviewing well. Sonic Colors was always good and I can't wait to jump back in on Friday.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah the original Destructoid review was that horseshit review from Sterling when he was smack in the middle of his "Internet troll with media credentials" phase; where he would scour the internet the most disingenuous argument he could find about a topic so he could write an article to blow it out of proportion and then publicly mock specific people's reactions to the nonsense he wrote by writing editorials about that.

That was also the review where Sega mocked him for it in response by taking one of those ~50 foot banners they hung from the rafters at some convention center for Colors and sending it to his house.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colors is still a fun game with creative levels, stunning visuals, and great music. Just a solid package all around, and it’s good to see scores are still reflecting that.

• Thumbs Up 3

It may not be the best game, but I expected worse. Good to see the current scores like that. Didn’t think it the scores would be as good as this. May not be too super but still...

In my opinion, Colors, Generations and even Sonic Lost World scores on Metacritic aren't higher than this just because Sonic isn't so respected among critics.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Raphael Martins said:

In my opinion, Colors, Generations and even Sonic Lost World scores on Metacritic aren't higher than this just because Sonic isn't so respected among critics.

No surprise there. Not to be rude at all, but given the history, I bet we all knew that was the case. You are arguably right, though, to the point that it probably is no debate.

36 minutes ago, Tornado said:

That was also the review where Sega mocked him for it in response by taking one of those ~50 foot banners they hung from the rafters at some convention center for Colors and sending it to his house.

I almost forgot about that! That probably left an impression, hah.

Should we split off this discussion to a new review-focused thread?

Nevermind, lol

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Raphael Martins said:

You guys should just be thankful these games scored as high as they did.

• Thumbs Up 4

15 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

No surprise there. Not to be rude at all, but given the history, I bet we all knew that was the case. You are arguably right, though, to the point that it probably is no debate.

They should review the games in their own merits, not giving them lower scores just because the franchise isn't so respected. There are games from more respected franchises with more flaws than Sonic Colors and Generations, and they get scores above 80. The biggest example is Pokémon. Pokémon Sword and Shield is a very flawed game, both in the technical and design aspects, and it got 80/100 on Metacritic:

imagem_2021-09-01_142538.png.97def1cadc29e4843252ec698d5f4dd2.png

I can't see why Pokémon Sword and Shield should be considered a better game than Colors and Generations. That's why I don't care about reviews from the critics when it comes to Sonic. It's like Sonic games always lost 10 points in their metascores just because they are Sonic games. One of the reviews of Colors Ultimate gave the game lower scores because "the game has difficult spikes". Seriously? Sonic Colors is of the most easy Sonic games of all time.

The only exception is when the games are 2D and full of nostalgia for the classic era, such as Sonic Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should review the games in their own merits, not giving lower scores just because the franchise isn't so respected. There are games from more respected franchises with more flaws than Sonic Colors and Generations, and they get scores above 80. The biggest example is Pokémon. Pokémon Sword and Shield is a very flawed game, both in the technical and design aspects, and it got 80/100 on Metacritic:

imagem_2021-09-01_142538.png.97def1cadc29e4843252ec698d5f4dd2.png

I can't see why Pokémon Sword and Shield should be considered a better game than Colors and Generations. That's why I don't care about reviews from the critics when it comes to Sonic. It's like Sonic games always lost 10 points in their metascores just because they are Sonic games. One of the reviews of Colors Ultimate gave the game lower scores because "the game has difficult spikes". Seriously? Sonic Colors is of the most easy Sonic games of all time.

The only exception is when the games are 2D and full of nostalgia for the classic era, such as Sonic Mania.

I have to agree. Too many reviewers let their bias, hate or whatever get to them on any game, depending on the game, such as disrespect for Sonic in that series’ case. Those reviewers also abuse their power by taking advantage of readers’ thoughts by manipulating them into not liking games or liking games because they like it by their own bias, knowing that many readers will be gullible enough to buy it. Those reviewers are not so professional if you ask me.

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You guys should just be thankful these games scored as high as they did.

I'm thankful because having good scores on Metacritic helps the overall performance of the game in sales, but it doesn't change the fact that the game deserves more credit and these scores doesn't reflect their level of quality at all.

5 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

I have to agree. Too many reviewers let their bias, hate or whatever get to them on any game, depending on the game, such as disrespect for Sonic in that series’ case. Those reviewers also abuse their power by taking advantage of readers’ thoughts by manipulating them into not liking games or liking games because they like it by their own bias, knowing that many readers will be gullible enough to buy it. Those reviewers are not so professional if you ask me.

I hope this is going to change in the following years because it seems Sonic is starting to have a more positive reputation now. It's not so popular to hate Sonic nowadays as it used to be a couple of years ago.

Please tell me we aren't doing the "games media has a secret agenda against Sonic!!!" shit again. Sonic games are just bad a lot of the time, I'd take Pokemon Sword/Shield over most of them any day. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm thankful because having good scores on Metacritic helps the overall performance of the game in sales, but it doesn't change the fact that the game deserves more credit and these scores doesn't reflect their level of quality at all.

I hope this is going to change in the following years because it seems Sonic is starting to have a more positive reputation now. It's not so popular to hate Sonic nowadays as it used to be a couple of years ago.

I have my doubts. Even if he has a more positive reputation that grows on the future, I can imagine some reviewers being too stubborn to change or accept that and still be unfair to his series.

3 minutes ago, Raphael Martins said:

I don't know, bog standard 2D platforming and a low amount of content compared to most other games makes me surprised it snuck that high up the totem pole twice in a row. If you ask me a score that reflected Sonic Colors's quality would be lower.

• Thumbs Up 8

Has there been any word yet on whether there’s an option to turn off the “perfect homing attack” sound effect? It hurts my ears even when watching gameplay on low volume. 

5 minutes ago, Nix said:

Please tell me we aren't doing the "games media has a secret agenda against Sonic!!!" shit again. Sonic games are just bad a lot of the time, I'd take Pokemon Sword/Shield over most of them any day. 

Nah, you totally have your personal bias about Pokémon with you think it deserves the 80/100. The game has terrible graphics, awful and lazy animations, a lot of popping and frame rate issues, some places they didn't even bother to design backgrounds for the battles. Sonic Colors is way better than this.

70s/80s is a perfectly respectable range. I've never understood the mentality that these are "bad" scores.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't know, bog standard 2D platforming and a low amount of content compared to most other games makes me surprised it snuck that high up the totem pole twice in a row. If you ask me a score that reflected Sonic Colors's quality would be lower.

I like Colors, but the quality being lower was honestly what I was expecting.

7 minutes ago, Nix said:

I identify that as an opinion, so to put this simply and nicely, allow me to disagree.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

70s/80s is a perfectly respectable range. I've never understood the mentality that these are "bad" scores.

It's a respectable range, but if Sonic Colors and Generations were games of franchises like Pokémon it would be from 90 to 100 or something like that.