Awoo.

TheOcelot
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Split this from the Megathread as it was new news.

5 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Wasn't really my intention to tear into you (and in fact, I don't think I was), I just have a blunt and to the point way of speaking when I'm trying to get a point across. If you took it that way, then I apologize. 

If I have a point to make, I do my best to emphasize it so that it can't be misconstrued. 

Well, it certainly came off the wrong way. Being blunt does not mean, needing to be a jerk, especially since you apparently thought I was lumping you in with my point when I wasn't. Apology accepted.

• Fist Bump 1

I wonder if the day 1 patch will fix most of the tech issues that people have been talking these last 2 days or something else that they couldn't address before going gold... because I really hope they won't leave the game like this. I wanna get it sometime, but not in this state, and considering I'm not huge on Colors to begin with, I can't turn a blind eye.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Graystripe2000 said:

I heard that it was mentioned in one of the Sonic live-streams that there’s WILL be updates for the game.

Updates, with a S? Or just the day 1 patch? They could've been a little more clear about what this patch will actually address, if it's the issues were having now or other stuff. Well, it will be out in a few days anyways, so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

11 minutes ago, Jango said:

I wonder if the day 1 patch will fix most of the tech issues that people have been talking these last 2 days or something else that they couldn't address before going gold... because I really hope they won't leave the game like this. I wanna get it sometime, but not in this state, and considering I'm not huge on Colors to begin with, I can't turn a blind eye.

I heard people say a day one patch already dropped so I'm getting mixed signals on this 

• Thumbs Up 1

We're at Version 1.3, with each patch's notes claiming bug fixes.

That said, we know another patch is incoming as they said they'd be updating the credits to give credit for the Gadot engine.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Jango said:

I sure hope so, maybe this was the point of the Early Access idea all along. A sort of "Hey help us test this game for bugs so we can polish it further for release" Even though I'm pretty sure companies have teams dedicated to doing that but whatever I guess. Has any other Sonic game had this "Early Access If You Preorder" mentality before?

On an unrelated note, do we know yet if the physical preorder comes with the movie sonic cosmetics? They show it off in digital preorders but never physical. I ask because Crash N.Sane Trilogy did the same with the preorder icons/wallpapers on ps4, where it wasn't really made clear if physical got it to but it was still included with physical (the code would just be on the gamestop receipt or emailed to you from amazon).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

We're at Version 1.3, with each patch's notes claiming bug fixes.

Three patches? Just to be clear.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Graystripe2000 said:

Three patches? Just to be clear.

Apparently. When I checked the patch history on PS5, it notes three patches each with update notes. It was at Version 1.2 when I downloaded it the night before release and 1.3 was released a few hours later 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

Has any other Sonic game had this "Early Access If You Preorder" mentality before?

Generations had a demo, Unleashed too. Back in Gens, ST actually listened to feedback regarding some things they got wrong with classic Sonic, most infamously the "uncurl" after rolling off a ramp (which was something that happened in Sonic 4 Episode 1).

• Thumbs Up 3

So, will they be able to patch up the game before September 7th, when the game is supposed to be released?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, will they be able to patch up the game before September 7th, when the game is supposed to be released?

Considering they had a year delay to do that, no.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

6 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

No but they might fix it after. Not having it together for release day really sucks, but they can regain some ground if they fix it soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Don’t know about September 7th, but we have three patches so far and one patch known to be incoming, so it’s still feasible they might see the feedback and fix some of the issues. Bare minimum, I imagine the crashing and save corruption problems will be fixed ASAP.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

No but they might fix it after. Not having it together for release day really sucks, but they can regain some ground if they fix it soon.

I hope this is the case.  If there's this much criticism for how the game is currently designed, they should at least listen to the criticisms and try to fix it the best way they can.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could they? Yeah. Nintendo added online to Mario Party way after the launch day. Nothings impossible.

Will they?  NO idea, but I'm not exactly hopeful.

• Thumbs Up 2

All I’ll say on the topic of patches is unless things have changed - both Sony and Microsoft charge for patches to be added to games, and those patches also need to be certified and approved by their retrospective parties. It’s incredibly doubtful we’d see a patch made specifically to add the Gadot engine to the credits, so it’s likely some bugs are going to get fixed with that one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think they could go either way on this. If they had just skated by they might have left it alone but Sonic/SEGA has kiiinda been trending for the past 2 days on twitter and it's all people dragging this game, lmao. Not boom/06 levels of meltdown but it's still pretty embarassing. Friends who don't play Sonic have asked me about it.

I hope they do fix it. This is probably going to be the version of Colors future ports are based on, so all the stupid shit they leave in is a headache for the next guy. I don't want there to be an SADX situation where each new version has a laundry list of issues for the next porthouse to try and fix.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I mean, Sonic Colors is a "casual Sonic game" in the same way that Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K, Sonic Mania, Sonic Generations are "casual Sonic games". In that, they are good Sonic games? That are approachable? That everyone can enjoy? They use a colour palette? If Sonic Colors is a 'casual' game, then it follows that almost everything outside of Sonic Adventure 2 - Unleashed era are also casual Sonic games, as they have the exact same aesthetic, approach and market appeal. 

So, I'm really not understanding the logic of having 'casual' and 'hardcore' definitions of Sonic fans. It doesn't make any sense, other than to sow division in an obvious attempt to make Unleashed fans feel a bit better about the fact that their favourite game isn't getting any attention. 😅  So I think we need to have a moratorium on the use of both words - they are not helpful definitions at all.

As someone who gets where Kuzu is coming from when they call Colours "Casual" and Unleashed "Hardcore", I think it's purely about how much depth/complexity the "mandatory" portions of the game are and the overall difficulty of said portions.

Like, I wouldn't define a "casual" Sonic game by what you said above - I would absolutely consider Mania a "Hardcore" Sonic game after watching my wife try, fail, try again, fail, and eventually give up on the game in Flying Battery after the punishing lives system sent her back to Act 1 of one of the longest zones in the game for failing on the boss too many times.  I'd consider all the classics to be - outside of their M2 ports with ring save mode.

Colours definitely has it's moments that not even Tails Save can help out with - the last two bosses have a few mean attacks even if the means of attacking them is annoyingly simple for my tastes (and the final boss in particular is WAY too easy to get bonus hits on... you literally just boost at him after every hit and it slices the duration of the boss in half - I usually deliberately avoid doing so just so I can hear the full song and have a meaty-feeling send-off to the game rather than obliterating him in 2 minutes) - but overall it's a game that I never feel challenges me particularly to reach the end.  It definitely becomes a hardcore game when you're going for 100% - your comments about an S rank taking quite a bit of thought are true (well... mostly - sometimes it's literally a case of cheesing the score by just arbitrarily using Wisps like Drill or Hover for as long as possible because the score just goes up while you do even if you aren't achieving anything - that stuff really ticks me off).  But I don't think it's the game for the Sonic fan that wants the actual meat of the adventure and story to provide resistence that can only be overcome with skill and practice.

I'd even be fine if Unleashed-esque level design and challenge was only found in Game Land, but even those stages fail to provide.  They're just weirdly designed most of the time and usually very uninteresting and repetitive to play for whatever reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/2/2021 at 6:58 AM, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I don't understand what's so wrong with doing game collections for any game past the 16-bit era nowadays. Does nobody want to be Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear Solid? I seem to remember the "get every game in the timeline at once" collections for those being pretty well-received. There's a lot less expectations for making a "good remaster" with a bigger collection, and if you bundle bad games with the good ones, you can at least make the excuse of simply preserving the series' history (lord knows the collections did not make Chain of Memories less of a chore).

And even then, if your port job is anything more than just emulation, it's a guarantee that someone will try to mod most of the problems out. I know if Shadow were on PC we'd have some project for merging all the routes and cutscenes together as best as possible, and depending on what changes you could make to the level design and physics, you could almost craft a half-decent experience out of it...maybe.

You can't even make the "they're splitting them up for more money" argument like with Nintendo and Zelda, because Colors is the first 3D game to get any sort of remaster since SA2B, and as much as I hate the Adventure ports, they made SEGA a bunch of money by introducing Nintendo buyers to the series.

Which is why, even though it's got some obvious issues, I'm glad that Colors Ultimate exists and doesn't fuck over the game's reputation like the Adventure ports. It's a net positive.

Um, I'm not so sure about that man...

WARNING FLASHING LIGHTS 

I have been watching this disaster play out in full. I was one of the ones annoyingly giving Blind Squirrel and SEGA the benefit of the doubt. Goddamn though, this is one of the biggest messes beyond even SADX in broken visuals.

The abundance of glitches that weren't in the original is laughable.

Granted, it's still a solid game for those who never played the original, hence all the good reviews, but that still is no excuse.

I believe it when rumors stated this game was originally unplayable back in 2020. A whole extra year given to the team to develop this game, which at some point they should have just scaled this project back to a simple upscaled remaster, if this whole "add new stuff" wasn't working out. I imagine the thing holding this project back the most was that the team were trying to add new things, without taking into account the realities of the pandemic making such a thing unfeasible, even with the time they were given.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is entertaining and it seems The Last Jedi all over again, critics love it and everyone else despises it. But yeah it's something completely different so no, still it's a buggy mess so far sadly, welp.

2 hours ago, Rocketjay8 said:

Um, I'm not so sure about that man...

WARNING FLASHING LIGHTS 

Really cool of you to reply to a post I made days before we had actual documentation about the buggy switch version.