Awoo.

How do you feel when people insult the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise?

Rabbitearsblog

So, when I say that people insult the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, I mean like how some people say the following things about the franchise:

*Sonic was never good.

*There are no good Sonic 3D games.

How do comments like these make you feel?  Do you feel turned off by the franchise because of these comments or do you still stand by the franchise despite the insults being hurled at this franchise?

For me personally, I honestly don't care much.  Sure, if there are unreasonable comments like "Sonic was never good," then I am quick to point out the hypocrisy of those statements. But, most of the time, I don't let these comments bother me, because at the end of the day, I like what I like and that's all that matters to me.  If I love Sonic the Hedgehog, I will constantly make videos and fan art for the character, because I want to show my support for the character, no matter what others say.

In all likelihood, I've insulted the franchise far more than them over the years.

Though I do want to discuss the examples you gave:

*Sonic was never good.

*You're such a baby for liking Sonic the Hedgehog

*There are no good Sonic 3D games.

*You like Sonic the Hedgehog? HA HA! You're such a loser!

See, two of those are insulting the Sonic franchise. And two of them are insulting actual real-life people. These aren't the same thing, and shouldn't be lumped together.

If someone hates Sonic - even to the point of calling the series irredeemable garbage that was "never good" - well, so what? It's an opinion. It's harmless. We can disagree and go about our day. There is absolutely no reason to take criticism of the Sonic series - good faith or otherwise - as a personal attack. You are not the things you like.

But if someone's attacking the fans themselves for what they like, that's no good. If someone does talk to you that way, don't give them the time of day. You have the right to like whatever you want and shouldn't let dismissive comments like that get to you. When it's all said and done, if what you enjoy makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone, then you've got nothing to be ashamed of.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

In all likelihood, I've insulted the franchise far more than them over the years.

Though I do want to discuss the examples you gave:

See, two of those are insulting the Sonic franchise. And two of them are insulting actual real-life people. These aren't the same thing, and shouldn't be lumped together.

If someone hates Sonic - even to the point of calling the series irredeemable garbage that was "never good" - well, so what? It's an opinion. It's harmless. We can disagree and go about our day. There is absolutely no reason to take criticism of the Sonic series - good faith or otherwise - as a personal attack.

But if someone's attacking the fans themselves for what they like, that's no good. If someone does talk to you that way, don't give them the time of day. You have the right to like whatever you want and shouldn't let dismissive comments like that get to you. When it's all said and done, if what you enjoy makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone, then you've got nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks. I took off the two points about Sonic fans being personally attacked in real life since the topic of this post is about the Sonic franchise and not about the fans themselves particularly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but it still illicits a groan from me when I hear some of those phrases. The mindset that the Sonic franchise, 3D or cumulative, has never produced anything good usually just comes from a place of ignorance and cultivation in internet culture - which just leads people to dunk on Sonic fans more. If you never enjoyed a Sonic game, and you understandably came to the conclusion that you don't like the entire franchise, more power to you. But it really irks me when people get on their internet podiums and proclaim how their opinion is infallible fact and that anyone who likes blue boy is an idiot. 

At the end of the day though, you can kinda just shrug it off. You'll get bullied somehow, someway, for liking anything. They're just passing internet voices that you'll never encounter again. I'm having a lot more fun with my interests by staying here rather than fighting a losing culture war online.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why should I care?

That's really all I can come to say regarding this, because an opinion is an opinion, and I have no personal stake on having Sonic liked by others.
I can try to convince someone to play a Sonic game because I personally enjoy it, but I can't do anything about someone not liking it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, charmsb said:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but it still illicits a groan from me when I hear some of those phrases. The mindset that the Sonic franchise, 3D or cumulative, has never produced anything good usually just comes from a place of ignorance and cultivation in internet culture - which just leads people to dunk on Sonic fans more. If you never enjoyed a Sonic game, and you understandably came to the conclusion that you don't like the entire franchise, more power to you. But it really irks me when people get on their internet podiums and proclaim how their opinion is infallible fact and that anyone who likes blue boy is an idiot. 

At the end of the day though, you can kinda just shrug it off. You'll get bullied somehow, someway, for liking anything. They're just passing internet voices that you'll never encounter again. I'm having a lot more fun with my interests by staying here rather than fighting a losing culture war online.

I also don't mind if some people hate the franchise, since not everyone is going to like Sonic.  But when said person starts attacking a fan for liking Sonic, then that's where I think that they have gone too far.

As others have stated, insulting people for liking Sonic is obviously bad.

Stating negative opinions about Sonic is inherently fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but frankly I can still be annoyed by other people's opinions, especially if I don't think they're particularly well-developed. For example, "Sonic was never good" - I mean, fair enough that you don't enjoy any Sonic games, but I still personally find this annoying and overly simplistic. I would respect it more if someone gave a reason for that opinion that wasn't something stupid like "Sonic games are bad because if you just try to run fast without thinking, you take damage". But again, people can think or say what they want to and it's not "wrong" or anything, even if it irks me.

But honestly, I'm not bothered by someone saying there are no good 3D Sonic games. And if you changed the statement to "There are no great 3D Sonic games", frankly, I'd agree. I'd also agree with someone saying Sonic is overall not a high-quality franchise.

Probably the most insane insult I've dealt with was when someone called me "mentally ill" for liking "baby stuff."  This was in response to (I shit you not) me telling another person they were messed up for making shitty MS Paint art of Etika burning in hell the night he disappeared, choosing to side with this clown instead.  Thankfully people I both knew and didn't stuck up for me, to the point they both eventually deleted their posts to save face from JoyconBoyz revisiting old posts to see who was saying messed up stuff about him.

I've also been told stuff like to kill myself and shit just for liking a fictional blue hedgehog, but at this point I can hardly be surprised.  It doesn't help when people like Arin Hanson or others practically encourage it, and even partake in such ill treatment themselves at times, thus furthering the cycle.  Influencers have a ton of power in this day and age, and the fact so many of them like to shit on both the series and it's fans makes the hope for human decency over something as trivial as liking a video game franchise sadly pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Probably the most insane insult I've dealt with was when someone called me "mentally ill" for liking "baby stuff."  This was in response to (I shit you not) me telling another person they were messed up for making shitty MS Paint art of Etika burning in hell the night he disappeared, choosing to side with this clown instead.  Thankfully people I both knew and didn't stuck up for me, to the point they both eventually deleted their posts to save face from JoyconBoyz revisiting old posts to see who was saying messed up stuff about him.

I've also been told stuff like to kill myself and shit just for liking a fictional blue hedgehog, but at this point I can hardly be surprised.  It doesn't help when people like Arin Hanson or others practically encourage it, and even partake in such ill treatment themselves at times, thus furthering the cycle.  Influencers have a ton of power in this day and age, and the fact so many of them like to shit on both the series and it's fans makes the hope for human decency over something as trivial as liking a video game franchise sadly pointless.

I can't believe that some people told you to kill yourself for liking a fictional blue hedgehog.  It just shows just how petty people are.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, dudebro1993 said:

The blame lies with SEGA and Sonic Team, if they made better choices, the franchise wouldn't be insulted as much. 

I agree.  It seems like SEGA refuses to learn from their mistakes and I don't know why that's the case.