Awoo.

Sonic Colors Ultimate bugs and glitches

Zoomzeta

So since nobody has taken the initiative, I am going to make a topic where people can post and discuss the bugs and glitches that are popping up in the remake of Sonoc Colors, mostly for the sake of clarity as there are misconceptions regarding whether which ones are legit or the result of tampering.

Just some things worth pointing. Specify what console is the game running on, make sure it is legit and not running on emulation, no cursing or finger pointing, and, if possible, explain why this bugs or glitches are happening.

Update: Katie from Sonic Twitter asks for feedback on the game. They've been looking into current feedback as we speak and are planning on patching these issues if possible. Go to her and send feedback to her. Same rules apply to her and the PR team.

do we really need a separate thread for this when we have two active Colors Ultimate threads and they're pretty much both entirely focused on the technical issues already?

Technically, they were not made specifically to talk about this. One focuses on review scores and the other on the announcement itself. But please, if you don't feel like discussing this stuff here specifically here, that's fine. Go to those threads instead if they do the job better.

I actually find that this may be a useful thread considering it doesn't seem (to my knowledge) that we got a thread for the latest news update:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/09/sega-listening-to-sonic-colours-ultimate-feedback-further-patches-confirmed/

No way to tell for certain how true PR speak is, but I have faith. I don't think BlindSquirrel actually has that negative of a track record so I calmly expect the glitches to be fixed, the Switch version probably going to be given the most attention.

I just really hope the ones complaining about glitches on modded hardware/experimental emulators stop; considering how baseless it is and how its apparently slowing down QA a lot for obvious reasons:

This fact is alluded to in Chrzanowski’s follow-up message, which reads, “We’ve seen some graphical issues that were caused by an emulator which is unfortunately outside our control. Trying to figure out what bugs are legitimate can really slow down the QA process.” It is encouraged for anyone having legitimate issues to contact SEGA Support with a note about their experience.

It doesn't help anyone to be reporting on glitches that only come about because of your personal decisions. I couldn't care less about pirating games from huge studios personally, but you should be able to recognize that an emulated copy is not 100% accurate to the actual product, especially a new and experimental emulator for a system only a few years old.

The other reason this thread is helpful is because it's worth pointing out that the much-publicized glitches and breaks are actually extraordinarily difficult to trigger in the first place. I played through Colors on both Xbox One and on Switch Lite this weekend and had no issues in either play-through.

Here's a thread on how the glitches are queued up, it involves a number of actions you wouldn't ordinarily take on normal plays: https://twitter.com/TGCritique/status/1434444033938518017

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Grunt said:

The other reason this thread is helpful is because it's worth pointing out that the much-publicized glitches and breaks are actually extraordinarily difficult to trigger in the first place. I played through Colors on both Xbox One and on Switch Lite this weekend and had no issues in either play-through.

Absolutely, I think the firestorm is a bit excessive, as much as I would push for these glitches to be fixed ASAP and how I think it is unacceptable for a release. I think rather the pop-in, excessive bloom, and sound bugs are the real killers.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, charmsb said:

Absolutely, I think the firestorm is a bit excessive, as much as I would push for these glitches to be fixed ASAP and how I think it is unacceptable for a release. I think rather the pop-in, excessive bloom, and sound bugs are the real killers.

I definitely wish they would let you adjust the Sound FX and Music separately. The sound fx, especially for the homing attack, are wayyy too loud.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Downloaded the PS4 Patch today and now the game crashes while playing Aquarium Park Act 6

The game has crashed for me a couple of times in AP act6 before the new 1.04 patch was installed.

When coming out of the (first) long-period in water if you boost (before reaching the first hover wisp) the game will sometimes crash. So instead I don't boost in this section and the game doesn't crash....

• Absolutely 1

I wonder why they would release this game before fixing the bugs?  Wouldn't it look bad for SEGA as a business?

7 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wonder why they would release this game before fixing the bugs?  Wouldn't it look bad for SEGA as a business?

*Every Assassins Creed game gives a little wave*

You’d think that, but unfortunately it’s pretty much just an industry standard these days. That’s in no way a diss to any Q&A testers because that’s an exhaustive job - but because Patch’s and bug fixes CAN exist it gives many companies/publishers the excuse to release a game as and when or by a deadline rather than when it’s suitable for consumer consumption. 

Usually when a game is pushed back I’m in favour because I’d rather the polish than wait for the tidy up after release.

I understand that there seems to have been a lot of various circumstances around Colours Ultimate development leading up to its release that may have meant it is not any one parties fault. But at least we’re getting patches.

To be honest, from what has been reported and reviewed thus far the game could have been in a worse state than what we ended up with - which is a perfectly playable and enjoyable working product.

Whilst it is not an the SADX or Sonic 2006 calamity levels of bad with freakout glitches or unplayable levels and sections, it is a shame it didn’t get a even just a little bit more time and effort poured into the remaster. I think a lot of Sonic Colours review score favours leans into its gameplay strengths that hold up compared to its predecessors, but the fact that it COULD have been even better given more time or reworked into something grander is what is ultimately gutting. 

2 hours ago, Son-icka said:

*Every Assassins Creed game gives a little wave*

You’d think that, but unfortunately it’s pretty much just an industry standard these days. That’s in no way a diss to any Q&A testers because that’s an exhaustive job - but because Patch’s and bug fixes CAN exist it gives many companies/publishers the excuse to release a game as and when or by a deadline rather than when it’s suitable for consumer consumption. 

Usually when a game is pushed back I’m in favour because I’d rather the polish than wait for the tidy up after release.

I understand that there seems to have been a lot of various circumstances around Colours Ultimate development leading up to its release that may have meant it is not any one parties fault. But at least we’re getting patches.

To be honest, from what has been reported and reviewed thus far the game could have been in a worse state than what we ended up with - which is a perfectly playable and enjoyable working product.

Whilst it is not an the SADX or Sonic 2006 calamity levels of bad with freakout glitches or unplayable levels and sections, it is a shame it didn’t get a even just a little bit more time and effort poured into the remaster. I think a lot of Sonic Colours review score favours leans into its gameplay strengths that hold up compared to its predecessors, but the fact that it COULD have been even better given more time or reworked into something grander is what is ultimately gutting. 

Yeah, it's a shame that they released the game before doing the patches. It would have saved them a lot of trouble if they had just patched the games in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of people say the only issues with the PS4 version are just audio related, but uhh…I disagree. I’ve definitely experienced lag spikes and half second freezes (usually after grabbing a big item like a coin or wisp capsule) a bunch even after the patch. It’s definitely cost me deaths as a result of that shit, and I can’t believe it wasn’t fixed in the patch 

I got a weird one last time. Was working on a S-Rank in Sweet Mountain and grabbed the Cube Wisp. Activated it and Sonic soft-locked as he was about to hit the ground. The timer and the level itself still worked and I could bring up the pause menu and restart, but I couldn't actually move and the wisp power meter wouldn't decrease.

26 minutes ago, KHCast said:

A lot of people say the only issues with the PS4 version are just audio related, but uhh…I disagree. I’ve definitely experienced lag spikes and half second freezes (usually after grabbing a big item like a coin or wisp capsule) a bunch even after the patch. It’s definitely cost me deaths as a result of that shit, and I can’t believe it wasn’t fixed in the patch 

I mean, it's not really something to disagree with. It's a situation of Your Mileage May Vary. Some people will play and receive little to no bugs while others might get hit by a ton. All anyone can do is speak from their personal experience on the matter. It doesn't help that the PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 all have different ways of running it.