Awoo.

Archie Sonic Questions Thread

Monkey Destruction Switch

Monkey Destruction Switch

Basically, this is a topic for asking mostly fact-based questions about Archie Sonic. I thought this topic should exist so such questions can be asked without detracting from discussions happening in the Megathread, and without them getting lost in the status updates. Questions can be in-universe, out-of-universe, or whatever.

I'll start things off with this: How did Ken Penders know about Ray the Flying Squirrel? He's a pretty obscure game character exclusive to Japan, and Penders isn't exactly known for his knowledge of the games. So it seems a bit funny that Penders actually introduced him to the comic.

SkyHorizon
9 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Basically, this is a topic for asking mostly fact-based questions about Archie Sonic. I thought this topic should exist so such questions can be asked without detracting from discussions happening in the Megathread, and without them getting lost in the status updates. Questions can be in-universe, out-of-universe, or whatever.

I'll start things off with this: How did Ken Penders know about Ray the Flying Squirrel? He's a pretty obscure game character exclusive to Japan, and Penders isn't exactly known for his knowledge of the games. So it seems a bit funny that Penders actually introduced him to the comic.

I don't know, yet he managed to:

1. Put him in one of the most badly written story

2. Introduce another useless copycat character (Nic)

3. Managing to make complicated something thats should be simple like Ray's age

On 9/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I want to preface this with what I'm writing is totally conjecture, and I had actually flipped through scans of the old comic reading fan letters and checking art submissions that would pre-date Ray's inclusion (as well as try to find that elusive OVA fan art I know I saw in the book before it released here). I couldn't really find any letters mentioning Ray in either the main book or the Knuckles book so my next best guess is that Spaz probably knew about him. The only reason I would assume he might have suggested the character to the team (and somehow got the miracle approval to use him--I doubt Sega was that clueless about what the book was doing especially since we were at the turning point Adventure was coming out then) is because he was no stranger to adding obscure Sega stuff to his art, and notably included Bean and Bark as cameos in #50 for his pages.

But again, it's a guess at best that probably needs further digging, and if there's any info on Penders's old forum... well it got murked a few years ago and he only argues with people on Twitter now. The only immediate mention I can find of Ray, and it's just namedropping him, is this interview with Sonic HQ from back in 1998 which just precedes his debut. I don't know if there's ever been further comment about him, really.

• Thumbs Up 1