Awoo.

Sonic Fanfiction & Fan Comic Recommendations

Monkey Destruction Switch

Fan fiction and fan comics can be a real delight, but there's a lot to sift through. So I created this thread for the purpose of sharing good ones we come across. Please do not share anything explicit, fetishy, or otherwise overly weird or offensive! Please keep in mind that these might be hosted on sites that contain that sort of content.

Sonic Resurgence

A fanfic with a very good tone for Sonic, reminds me of post-reboot Archie Sonic - fun and fairly lighthearted, but very adventurous and serious things can happen. It also feels similar to a comic in that it has a combination of arcs and stand-alone stories, with plot points being carried between them, rather than being a single narrative. It's an AU story that's mostly focused on game characters with some OCs and characters from Sonic X and Archie Sonic thrown in. Really enjoyable, especially if you're just looking for something that's, well, Sonic-y.

• Thumbs Up 1

One fan comic (or more accurately, group of fan comics) I've always been fond of is Ruins of the Fourth Wall by Jen Irwin.

image.thumb.png.4b7cf9e96a10ba49240f5fcd655114cf.png

The comic briefly ran in the early 00s, and starred Ivo Robotnik as the main character. However, the series quickly diverged from a standard Sonic-inspired setting and largely became focused around goofy slice-of-life shenanigans where Ivo hangs out with his friends while drinking Dr Pepper and wisecracking about video games.

image.png.12a1f0271eac923639cb65a477ba64b1.png

There's also a sprite comic called Scrambled Eggs that's just about lots of different versions of Ivo as (almost) the entire cast:

image.png.86cb53418796c76fb2bff7de03a7ed77.png

The series would go on to create a comic called JI, where Ivo and the gang answered fan mail, and then a comic called Ashes of the Fourth Wall, which was something of a reboot/revamp of the original ROTFW. All in all, lots of Robotnik content over many strips - especially considering the comic only ran for a few years.

Only problem is, the majority of these comics were done in Flash, which is now discontinued on most modern browsers. The other only problem is that the website ROTFW was hosted on is long gone.

But a fan named DrJoshFox archived it. The whole thing, and made a video recounting the experience, as well as talking about the comics themselves:

It's in the video description, but of course, you can also just skip straight to the download link here if you'd like to relive old memories, or even read ROTFW for the first time: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AntJzzu-5gImAfIamjiexW3Wto1CNUxR

Jen Irwin, the author, has more or less vanished from the internet years ago. But I hope she knows that - for Robotnik fans back in the day - her comic really meant something. And I'm grateful to both her for making it and DrJoshFox for archiving it. It definitely deserves to be remembered for the interesting little series it was!

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a lot of fantastic Sonic fan comics out there, but my personal favorites are the Just Shadamy series and the Miles Prower Where Was my Hero series. Check them out!